Author Topic: Drake is the realest-Just ask Rick Ross  (Read 634 times)

Jaydc

Drake is the realest-Just ask Rick Ross
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:10:43 PM »
Drake is the realest - ask Rick Ross
Monday Apr 12 2:56 PM CDT posted by Byron Crawford

"This is a problem?" -- Rick Ross on the fact that many hip-hop videos feature ethnically ambiguous
Who would have thought that hip-hop would eventually reach the point where a former child actor from a corporate spinoff of The Children of Degrassi Street would tout his street cred by citing a cosign from a fake drug dealer who used to be a cop?

The former child actor and the ex-cop I could kinda see, separate from one another. But combined like this, it’s almost too much for the brain to handle - especially on a day in which I finally got to try KFC’s epic Double Down sandwich. I joked on Twitter that I managed to down the entire thing, plus a side of potato wedges and a Diet Pepsi (which I really do drink for the taste) without stroking out or anything, but I may have spoken too soon.

That was before I read the pull quotes from the cover story of the next issue of XXL, with Drake and Nicki Minaj on the cover, presumably leaked to coincide the release of the video for “Over” - which is mad disappointing. The song is so gay, and the video is so drab that I couldn’t bring myself to watch it in its entirety. But I probably spent just as much time flipping through it, waiting for there to be tits - jumping back and forth between different points in the video, straining my one eye that still kinda works, to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Tha fuck?

There are two girls in the video (or is that just one, in different outfits? I couldn’t be bothered to look at her face), and it looks like they may have been cast to look like Jay-Z and Kanye’s… erm, women, Beyonce and Amber Rose. One of them’s got that short blonde afro, which is always more tolerable than it is genuinely desirable on a woman, regardless of who it is; and one of them’s light skinted but not that light skinted (god forbid she spent an afternoon outdoors), with the world’s most obvious weave, despite the resources at hand. I wonder if this was by design, to associate Drake with Jay-Z and Kanye West, in the minds of people easily swayed by music videos. In 2010.

If he wanted to make a video people actually like, he could have just cast a gang of women with proportionally huge, jiggly cans and had them run up and down stairs for no apparent reason, like he did in the video for “Best I Ever Had,” which had me kinda liking Drake, before he gave me so many reasons not to. Even if Kanye was too busy out in Hawaii crafting what sounds like a Peter Schilling-style unofficial, unsolicited sequel to Illmatic, minus the really good rapping (didn’t Non Phixion already try that a long time ago?), Drake probably could have pulled it off himself. He’s already got a lifetime of experience in film production. I could have assisted him with the casting, if he didn’t have the name of the agency where they found Shakur.

Not only is the video for “Over” completely unfapworthy, but seeing him make so many angry faces, like someone kicked his wheelchair, only serves to highlight how angry this song is, for no apparent reason. Who are these people that he didn’t know last year, and why is he so upset to see them? Is is because there’s too many black people, and that makes him nervous? As a fellow black man of questionable origin, I can certainly relate to this sentiment, but I’m not so sure there needs to be a song about. You get the idea that he needed to come up with a song that was very angry-sounding, the better to present himself to the world as a badass, and that was the best he could come up with, short of pretending to be an actual thug, which might not have gone over as well.

He’s obviously walking a very thin line between trying to rap like someone who might actually know from hardship and not drawing too much attention to the fact that he used to be on the Noggin Network. In that sense, mentioning Rick Ross in a litany of rappers who are known to have actually committed crimes (Young Jeezy, Turk, C-Murder), may have been on purpose. The idea may have been to make himself look that much more like a badass by making the rest of those guys seem less badass, by grouping them in with someone who’s such a phony. Think about it: He seems too sober and intelligent to not be aware that Rick Ross doesn’t belong anywhere on that list, and the TIs wouldn’t have leaked that quote on the same day as this new video, if they didn’t think it was in his best interest.

Drake just better hope that Rick Ross doesn’t look up from his trough of crab meats long enough to realize how Drake sorta kinda played him. Being an ex-cop is one thing, but being the guy who played Wheelchair Jimmy is something else altogether. Rawse might view this as the one battle he could actually win on principle. And you know he’s not too big on white people anyway
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=76086

Jaydc

Re: Drake is the realest-Just ask Rick Ross
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
Byron Crawford is easily my favourite blogger,dudes fucking hilarious.

Bananas

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 11:17:56 PM »
Byron Crawford is easily my favorite blogger,dudes fucking hilarious.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »
Obviously, the song is about blowing the fuck up and people being all fucking cozy to you because you're the shit now and are trying to cake up off you.  So, I can enjoy the song but I do agree the video is ass.

I also agree with a sentiment expressed in the diatribe but for a majority of the new school, not just Drake   I agree that most of the new school don't really have anything to complain about and are suburban kids who stepped into hip-hop - Drake, Kid Cudi, Asher Roth, B.o.B.

I mean, hate on Charles Hamilton, but at least his life is semi interesting.  He was homeless and addicted to drugs for a minute ... to my understanding then again I could be wrong and he could be another suburban kid stepping into rap.

Edit:
It's funny that 50 essentially has said the same thing a while back.  He was interviewed and talked about how Drake is a complete fabrication and they're trying to give you something real (similar to his story) but it isn't.  He even talked about the new school and how they're trying to be like A Tribe Called Quest & Common hip-hop but without any message.  They ain't saying shit.  Of course 50's hating, not telling his opinion that happens to be near the mark of truth.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:54:20 PM by Action! »
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Young Old Head

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:20:16 AM »
so what's the point? drake's faker than ross cause he did a angry sounding/looking song/video that doesn't have enough tits in it? or is it the fact that drake used to be an actor so he don't have the authorization to speak on other topics than bitches and money? smh...these internet haters always find something to be mad about...ALWAYS...

Cash Money Blood Gang

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 03:43:42 AM »
good read lol..
anyway i dont know why ppl love Drake so much.. i think he`s overrated.

MediumL

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:53 AM »
50 has a point. These new hipster rappers are just watered down conscious rappers for the mainstream. Everybody wants to be like Kanye...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:59:53 AM »
so what's the point? drake's faker than ross cause he did a angry sounding/looking song/video that doesn't have enough tits in it? or is it the fact that drake used to be an actor so he don't have the authorization to speak on other topics than bitches and money? smh...these internet haters always find something to be mad about...ALWAYS...

While I agree the article is more or less hating, what does Drake have to complain about?    The cost of fame?  Really?
- Banks

Jome

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:16:04 AM »
Hip hop is in a sad state when "new Rick Ross feat. Ne-Yo" and any random Drake thread gets 20+ replies, and the "New Onyx single" thread gets 0 replies.  :(

Matty

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
i could really care less if drake was on kids tv or whatever aside from the fact that his fake street persona oozes into every pore of his music and his vocals are annoying as hell. this dude is just a travesty to 'street' music and the article was pretty damn funny.

are some of his songs bumpable? yes. are his lyrics witty and well thought out? yes. but it takes more than that for me to be feeling an artist. a lot of my consideration is to do with vocals, but in drake's case, his whole persona is overwhelmingly representative of what is bad about commercial music.

just me 2 cents. rant over :bandit:

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »
Rick Ross has been & forever will remain an idiot.

Young Old Head

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »

While I agree the article is more or less hating, what does Drake have to complain about?    The cost of fame?  Really?

i'm pretty sure that each and every individual has its struggle. imo u don't have to be street or gangsta to complain about somethin... that's humanly, no matter of classification, color or whatsoever...
plus it's not like drake portraying something that he ain't...really, when did he act or pretended to be thug or gangsta? i haven't heard any song by him goin in that direction. this blog entry is pure hateration and i simply can't stand that. i know some of these members on here can't do nothing else but hate, but this is dubcc and i don't really expect nothin else but hate by half these dudes *lol* however this blog is a semi professional xxl blog so professionalism is due, ain't it?
my whole point is: it's coo with me if u ain't likin dude - hell, even i ain't the biggest drake fan either *lol* but stick to tha facts and stop twisting it, specially if u r writtin for xxl.

Cash Money Blood Gang

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 07:20:08 PM »
There is a personal concept of struggle but then there is the reality that if you're from a safe neighbourhood and a decent economic background the only thing hindering you is you (unless of course you've been abused).  Part of his image is that he came from nothing and had to overcome huge difficulties. 

I have a general problem with most of the new school because of this.

I still bump their music that I find good.
- Banks

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 07:29:27 PM »
There is a personal concept of struggle but then there is the reality that if you're from a safe neighbourhood and a decent economic background the only thing hindering you is you (unless of course you've been abused).  Part of his image is that he came from nothing and had to overcome huge difficulties.  

I have a general problem with most of the new school because of this.

I still bump their music that I find good.

Ya i remember when i based my opinion on artists by how much street cred they had......in grade 8.

GROW THE FUCK UP
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:37:33 PM by Notorious T.D.A »

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
stred cred?

You still spell like you're in the eighth grade.

This isn't about street credibility.  I don't like the streets any more then I like suburban kids.  It's about being genuine and most of the new school image is a fraud.  I don't feel sympathy for people that could easily have been lawyers or doctors.  

edit;
And, I don't feel sympathy for people complaining about the cost of fame.  You know cause being rich is so fucking hard.  Oh my!  He doesn't have anything real to rap about.  When he was poor at least he can say he wanted to be successful, now all he can do is say it's far from over.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:34:18 PM by Action! »
- Banks