Author Topic: Kurupt - Streetlights [Official Discussion Thread]  (Read 3509 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Kurupt - Streetlights [Official Discussion Thread]
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 09:46:56 PM »
I'm sorry but this ishh is fire......you demand it u got it..now lets support it. The new version of  bounce rock skate is something serious

Quik came through correct.

& Kurupt just WENT OFF at the end. :o

Lunatic

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 12:00:51 AM »
1. Intro - 4/5 - dope opener
2. I'm Burnt - 4/5 - loved it since it premiered..Problem is sick for club records
3. Questions - 4/5 - love the concept
4. In Gotti We Trust - 5/5 - 2nd favorite song on here. That X hook is something serious.
5. Face Down - 3.25/5 - Alright
6. Yessir - 4/5 - pretty good
7. All That I Want - 3/5 - not feeling it too much
8. I'm Drunk - 3.25/5 - Heard this style a lot from the camp over the years..it doesn't really catch me; it's ok
9. Scrape - 1/5 - This is terrible.
10. Riot in the Club - 2/5 - average lil jon club music
11. I'm the Man - 4/5 - back on the right track
12. I'm Burnt Remix - 4/5 - solid remix
13. Streetlights - 5/5 - Best song on here. Beat is unreal, Tone KILLED the hook and Kurupt was sick.
14. Bounce ,Rock, Skate Kurupt Mix - 4/5 - Always loved this joint.

1. Streetlights
2. In Gotti We Trust
3. Intro
4. Questions
5. I'm the man
6. Yessir
7. I'm Bunt
8. I'm Burnt Remix
9. Bounce,Rock,Skate Remix

9 good joints outta 14, the first 4 will get A LOT of burn.

decent album, probably Kurupt's best since "streetz iz a mutha"
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

RoscoeOutlaw

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 12:35:42 AM »
only feeling the intro. the rest sucks. sorry!

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 01:24:03 AM »
I don't understand the sense of this album... "Yessir" and "Bounce Rock Skate" are 5/5 to me but they're hella old, a nice intro and nothing else.
The market has changed, Kurupt not... no disrespect, but this ain't gonna sell not even 5K.

Paul

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 02:13:24 AM »
Just woke up. Gonna make breakfast while bumpin the shit outta this. Gonna be an early Saturday for my neibours  ;D
funkyfreshintheflesh

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 02:34:07 AM »
I WANNA HEAR THIS ALBUM!!!!

i ordered it off amazon but probaly wont get it til next week in the mail. im gettin impatient
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 03:07:19 AM by Okka »

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 04:44:23 AM »
Decent album overall , 5-6 standout tracks , the rest is pretty much forgettable , wasn't too much impressed with T.Martin production and Kurupt needs to get rid of that whispered flow he's using on some tracks

Paul

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 04:52:53 AM »
Good to hear TRi-Star
funkyfreshintheflesh

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 06:16:09 AM »
Kurupt is pronouncing the "S" really funny on the Intro.

bigpimpin20

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 06:22:24 AM »
Great album, is Virginia Slim related to Kurupt? She was the chick that was screamin on Makavelis Me & My Girlfriend and and was most active in Tha Row days
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:24:41 AM by bigpimpin20 »

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 07:28:42 AM »
Album has a contemporary sound.  Not very funky in terms of being rooted in traditional Westcoast influences (synth melodies laid on top of thick baselines).  Instead, Terrace opts for a more modern club sound with keyboard bips, bops and tones and some choral overlays with classical instrumentation (mentioned later).  Personally, I go for more propulsive bass rhythms and groovy melodies and those kinds of arrangements that we love the Westcoast for.  Overall, the album has a cohesion that is very important, and I'm grateful for that.  However, it's not really my preference.  Fred Wreck's work with Kurupt was more the traditional Westcoast sound that I prefer.  The closest this album comes to a traditional Westcoast arrangement is I'm Drunk.  Not hating on this album -- just saying upon analysis this isn't my cup of tea.  However, I admit my taste is very outdated these days.  ;D

As for Kurupt, he performs really well, I think.  He's energetic on just about every track.  There are some missed opportunities, though -- on Questions, Kurupt acknowledges the topics we want answers to...but then doesn't answer them!  Does he say anything on this album?  Not really, but Kurupt was never a conscience rapper to begin with.  He's actually more substantive on this one than on Streetz, that's for sure.  So I applaud Kurupt for his artistic growth.

Album is well mastered, because Kurupt sounds consistent throughout.  But let's be real -- this is not close to Streetz Iz a Mutha in terms of pure entertainment value, nor does it sound like a sequel to it.  That was a gangsta "street" album; this is more a club album is every respect (concepts & musical direction).  Not much replay value for me, but I think the young people brought up on this overall vibe will like this album a lot.  Should have called this album Clublights ;).  The songs I like are the Intro, Yessir, I'm Drunk, I'm the Man, and Bounce Rock Skate.  But none of the songs get me to nod my head, aside from Bounce Rock Skate and slightly I'm Drunk.  The album also goes by fast.

All in all, well done album presuming you appreciate the direction Kurupt and Terrace took with this one.  I will grant Terrace this much: he's developed a very modern sound with classical, varied orchestration including piano, violins, brass, (non classical) guitars, etc.  That's a good feat to make a sound that feels contemporary but is rooted in classical instrumentation.  And Kurupt took a step forward as a maturing artist.

In sum, good job, Kurupt and Terrace, but not great (lacks entertainment value).  I'll give this a grade of B.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

stephen619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Pound, We Roll Thick Like One-Time
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »
Album Is DOPE!!!
Kurupt Is A Grown Man On This Album, But Still Gangsta!
Grown Man "Streetz Iz A Mutha"
DPGC!!!!!

Keep It Up KURUPT!!!  You Dropped A Sick Album!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:19:34 AM by stephen619 »

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 08:12:14 AM »
Kurupt Killed this album!!! wow.. great job!  lyrically Kurupt was more than on point, subjects were great! beat wise I like it too!! IM DRUNK got that old school vibe and the rest of it is all fresh!!!

Good Job Terrace & Kurupt.

crapboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 08:12:47 AM »
Album has a contemporary sound.  Not very funky in terms of being rooted in traditional Westcoast influences (synth melodies laid on top of thick baselines).  Instead, Terrace opts for a more modern club sound with keyboard bips, bops and tones and some choral overlays with classical instrumentation (mentioned later).  Personally, I go for more propulsive bass rhythms and groovy melodies and those kinds of arrangements that we love the Westcoast for.  Overall, the album has a cohesion that is very important, and I'm grateful for that.  However, it's not really my preference.  Fred Wreck's work with Kurupt was more the traditional Westcoast sound that I prefer.  The closest this album comes to a traditional Westcoast arrangement is I'm Drunk.  Not hating on this album -- just saying upon analysis this isn't my cup of tea.  However, I admit my taste is very outdated these days.  ;D

As for Kurupt, he performs really well, I think.  He's energetic on just about every track.  There are some missed opportunities, though -- on Questions, Kurupt acknowledges the topics we want answers to...but then doesn't answer them!  Does he say anything on this album?  Not really, but Kurupt was never a conscience rapper to begin with.  He's actually more substantive on this one than on Streetz, that's for sure.  So I applaud Kurupt for his artistic growth.

Album is well mastered, because Kurupt sounds consistent throughout.  But let's be real -- this is not close to Streetz Iz a Mutha in terms of pure entertainment value, nor does it sound like a sequel to it.  That was a gangsta "street" album; this is more a club album is every respect (concepts & musical direction).  Not much replay value for me, but I think the young people brought up on this overall vibe will like this album a lot.  Should have called this album Clublights ;).  The songs I like are the Intro, Yessir, I'm Drunk, I'm the Man, and Bounce Rock Skate.  But none of the songs get me to nod my head, aside from Bounce Rock Skate and slightly I'm Drunk.  The album also goes by fast.

All in all, well done album presuming you appreciate the direction Kurupt and Terrace took with this one.  I will grant Terrace this much: he's developed a very modern sound with classical, varied orchestration including piano, violins, brass, (non classical) guitars, etc.  That's a good feat to make a sound that feels contemporary but is rooted in classical instrumentation.  And Kurupt took a step forward as a maturing artist.

In sum, good job, Kurupt and Terrace, but not great (lacks entertainment value).  I'll give this a grade of B.

Absolutely spot on!

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
Great album, is Virginia Slim related to Kurupt? She was the chick that was screamin on Makavelis Me & My Girlfriend and and was most active in Tha Row days

Gail Gotti's sister.