Author Topic: Rakim answers "Who is the greatest MC of all time?"  (Read 833 times)

Jome

Rakim answers "Who is the greatest MC of all time?"
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iHbwn7gmshg&amp;h" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iHbwn7gmshg&amp;h</a>

Chamillitary Click

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Rakim answers "Who is the greatest MC of all time?"
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Rakim just lost all of his credibility lol.

nothing against Jay, i'm a fan of most of his music; but Rakim was basically saying all the other shit he did.

he was talking more success than actual rapping.

BG Rapsodie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:59:38 PM »
Rakim just lost all of his credibility lol.

nothing against Jay, i'm a fan of most of his music; but Rakim was basically saying all the other shit he did.

he was talking more success than actual rapping.

well you gotta keep in mind that to most mainstream rappers, "greatest" means something different then it does to us fans. This is a business to them, a way to make money. Most of these guys make their music with money in mind. Jay-Z has gone pop and been successful at it. Nas has tried and essentially failed at it.

Fans get shocked when rappers we like such as Em and Royce give props to rappers we dislike like Wayne. But to these guys, being hot is essentially the same as being great. Believe you me, Slaughterhouse would not hesitate to make pop records if it meant they would blow up and make millions.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »
Jay has done it with a certain class too which is hard to find. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
HAHAHAHA I TOLD YOU MUTHUAFUCKAS!!!!!

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Tonite
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »
FUCK Rakim, he thinks dick sucking Jay will get him some pub

pathetic
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
  • Dynasty Circle Of Bosses
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 12:20:11 PM »
he thinks dick sucking Jay will get him some pub

pathetic

True true....a shame tho.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 02:20:51 PM »
it's his opinion my equals
but in all honesty this is the equivalent of micheal jordon (called by most the greatest to ever play the game) selecting kwame brown as the number one picc over paul gasol, just because one is great doesn't mean you have to take there word on judging other talent yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

West Coast Veteran

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
KRS-One said Lil Wayne is the greatest of all time. At least Rakim's selection is arguable.

OG Hack Wilson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
FUCK Rakim, he thinks dick sucking Jay will get him some pub

pathetic
agreed!
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

OG Hack Wilson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 10:31:20 PM »
KRS-One said Lil Wayne is the greatest of all time. At least Rakim's selection is arguable.

was he being serious?  jesus christ
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 11:42:26 PM »
Yeah, that KRS thing makes me wonder but seriously if these guys who are considered pioneers and some of the best at are saying people like Jay are the best, you have to at least lend it some credibility because these guys actually understand the level of work that goes into performing and make hit records. Most of us are just basing it off who makes music that best suits our taste.

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 03:45:33 AM »
Yeah, that KRS thing makes me wonder but seriously if these guys who are considered pioneers and some of the best at are saying people like Jay are the best, you have to at least lend it some credibility because these guys actually understand the level of work that goes into performing and make hit records. Most of us are just basing it off who makes music that best suits our taste.

this...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

BG Rapsodie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »

not really, cause these dudes look at the hip hop game like a business, and we look at it based on quality of the music.

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 04:07:29 AM »
 I wonder if they ask the same question on heaven's gates when a dead rapper arrives to seek for entrance (egoistic answer sends you to hell).

Whatever would have his answer been, it would have been a wrong one in the eyes of internet hip-hop purists. I think Rakim should have considered alternative answer options like the religious answer "Allah/Jesus is the greatest MC." or the diplomatic sportsman answer "Hip-Hop is a team game, there's no MC above everyone else." etc.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

kuruptDPG

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 08:09:34 AM »
 >:( so dissapointing

Jimmy H.

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
not really, cause these dudes look at the hip hop game like a business, and we look at it based on quality of the music.
I think they have a better understanding though. Someone who has never performed live or never sat down and recorded an album or dealt with the industry politics, you're not always gonna have a clear idea of what goes into it. Quality of music is sort of a broad category to me because a average rapper can sit in the booth and make amazing records if he is working with a producer that knows how to hide his weak spots.

But it's interesting on the one hand how someone's opinion can sort of invalidate certain people's own feelings on him. I mean, if you think Rakim or KRS-One is one of the greatest MC's ever, and the person they think is the greatest MC is someone you don't like, do they suddenly not know what a "great MC" is? I mean, are we so biased in views or whatever that we can call someone one of the best at something and turn around and act like their opinion holds no weight when they discuss that same subject?

OG Hack Wilson

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
i'd rather everyone just continue to say Pac, Big, Big L or Big Pun

the "dead rapper is the best" line is like an athlete thanking god for a big win

BG Rapsodie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 11:22:03 AM »
I think they have a better understanding though. Someone who has never performed live or never sat down and recorded an album or dealt with the industry politics, you're not always gonna have a clear idea of what goes into it. Quality of music is sort of a broad category to me because a average rapper can sit in the booth and make amazing records if he is working with a producer that knows how to hide his weak spots.

but there's a BIG difference between a successful record and an amazing record. Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em sold over 10 millions albums but its a shitty album. illmatic sold shit but many people think its one of the greatest albums ever made. I don't think most rappers distinguish between the two, cause to them an album that sells well is a bigger message than an album that people "say" is good but don't buy. The Carter III sold a millie in a week and all these rappers were coming out and calling it a classic. Now that all the hype has died down most people think its overrated and not even lil wayne's best record. I don't trust rappers opinions because its a business to them. Whereas a fan can sit back and judge music based on its quality, not on how many units it moved.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »
but there's a BIG difference between a successful record and an amazing record. Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em sold over 10 millions albums but its a shitty album. illmatic sold shit but many people think its one of the greatest albums ever made. I don't think most rappers distinguish between the two, cause to them an album that sells well is a bigger message than an album that people "say" is good but don't buy. The Carter III sold a millie in a week and all these rappers were coming out and calling it a classic. Now that all the hype has died down most people think its overrated and not even lil wayne's best record. I don't trust rappers opinions because its a business to them. Whereas a fan can sit back and judge music based on its quality, not on how many units it moved.
But there's success on many levels. There's people who have the hottest song in the country for half a year and then people outgrow and move on and there's artists who continually make #1 records. I can't comment on Wayne because really I just don't like most of his records. His flow doesn't appeal to me. I don't automatically trust every rapper because everyone certainly has their reasons behind it but I also feel a lot of times fans throw their own beliefs into things when it comes to rapper's decisions. Like if anyone works with or even likes Lil Wayne, it's because they are trying to appeal to the pop crowd. I don't trust that to always be the case.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »
oh fuck off not this arguement again. jay has been relevant longer than any other rapper and you cant really argue that, its just fact. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL OPINION ON WHO YOU THINK THE GREATEST IS SO WHY ARGUE.

one thing u cant deny is that jay has done it well without completely selling out, hes matured his sound, stayed current, been successfull etc. im no longer a fan of his but i cant deny what hes done.  so unless you have some other method of determining who the best rapper is that doesnt involve your personal likes/dislikes then shuuuuut uuuuup.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »

But it's interesting on the one hand how someone's opinion can sort of invalidate certain people's own feelings on him. I mean, if you think Rakim or KRS-One is one of the greatest MC's ever, and the person they think is the greatest MC is someone you don't like, do they suddenly not know what a "great MC" is? I mean, are we so biased in views or whatever that we can call someone one of the best at something and turn around and act like their opinion holds no weight when they discuss that same subject?

i disagree,cause you can talk to others who have dealt with more label politrics then them,like an artist who never got famous for not kissing ass, so throw that out the window, just because you are a dope mc means you are a good judge of talent,rakim and krsone both could be using this shit as a way to get a feature on one of these guys future plat albums.

also when 50 was hot rakim said he was the best, same with krsone so how can you really take them serious,they are great mc's but again JORDAN TOOK KWAME BROWN FIRST! YELL
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
oh fuck off not this arguement again. jay has been relevant longer than any other rapper and you cant really argue that, its just fact. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO PERSONAL OPINION ON WHO YOU THINK THE GREATEST IS SO WHY ARGUE.

one thing u cant deny is that jay has done it well without completely selling out, hes matured his sound, stayed current, been successfull etc. im no longer a fan of his but i cant deny what hes done.  so unless you have some other method of determining who the best rapper is that doesnt involve your personal likes/dislikes then shuuuuut uuuuup.

Exactly. I'd like to see what peoples other choices are. Not to say Jay is my pick or is the most deserving but he's definitely a reasonable candidate.

Jaydc

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 02:18:49 PM »
In what way has jay matured his sound.I thought he was going to after kingdome come but he completely regressed after that.Jay always was and always will be a pop act,nothing more nothing less.So you say he hasnt completely sold out,but hes always been a sell out since reasonable doubt.His original plan was to include tons of auto tune on blue print 3 and later changed his mind and changed it into a marketing gimmick with d.o.a.The guys guest appearances are the clear indicator of what kind of an artist he is,do you seem him featured on underground albums or people with lyrical talent..No,you seem him making songs with lil wayne and rick ross because its whats hot at the same time.As soon as an aritst becomes irrelvant in the mainstream he stops working with them.He has ZERO artistic intergrity,just a bunch of pop songs and a work with whoever is selling the most mentality.Jay Z is probably the most succesfull pop artist to come out of hip hop but other then that theirs nothing of value.

BG Rapsodie

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 02:28:50 PM »
dude may be a pop act, but he's damn good at it. Reasonable Doubt, Black Album, Blueprint....those are just plain great albums.

I bet you most rappers would do the same thing if they could. Didn't Slaughterhouse say they wanted to record with wayne? How does Jay-Z have less artistic integrity than Nas? The only reason Nas's discography is less pop than Jay-Zs is because he tried and failed at it.