Author Topic: Rakim answers "Who is the greatest MC of all time?"  (Read 1649 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Rakim answers "Who is the greatest MC of all time?"
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 02:50:26 PM »
I have to seriously question someones taste who believes Jay Z is the greatest rapper of all time.People are confusing success and sales with being a great artist.
But not everyone's taste is directly connected to who they believe is the greatest. I'd put Jay up there on my list as one of the best but he definitely ain't one of my favorites.

Jaydc

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »
Im not downplaying Jay Zs accomplishments,Ive been to Jay Z concerts and own a fair number of his albums.He has his place in hip hop,but he is not the greatest,top ten definitely but not even top five.Like I said Jay Z IS the madonna of hip hop.

I agree that an artist needs to have success to be considered one of the best but being successfull does not mean you ARE one of the best.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
jay-z is mainstream but to call him pop shows a lack of any musical knowledge. pop music is completely different entity. just because the word pop has negative connotations people use it incorrectly on mainstream acts they dislike.

Jaydc

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »
ummm go look up the definitions of pop music.I never once said I disliked Jay z so take that lame arguement elsewhere.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
yeh ill get right on that. i forgot that once an artist goes mainstream they are no longer part of their genre

Jaydc

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
Go listen to reasonable doubt,then go listen to blueprint 3 and tell me those are in the same genre  ::)

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
yeh they are both hip-hop, just so happens one is mainstream and not very good. beats and rhymes? oh thats not hip hop lollll. oh yeah and u mentioned jay and madonnas "respective genres". what was madonnas genre before she went pop?

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »
I didnt say he wasnt good at it.The guy has the hits no doubt.The artist that is paralell to a jay z is a madonna.They both have had huge success,lasted a long time shown great business sense,have a knack for big singles.Jay Z is literally the madonna of hip hop.yes theyve both had huge success and are great at what they do,but niether are anywhere close to the greatest in their respective genres.

Good comparison with Madonna. They're both a couple of gluttons for attention and success that integrity and creativity take a back seat for most of their catalogs, and because of the success the mainstream media feels the need to praise the work. It's not nothing to stay in the spotlight after so many years even if you're releasing sub par shit.

Pauley Shore had a handful of very bad but successful films in the early 90s. If he had figured out a way to succeed making the same bad films into the 2000s then you'd have to give him some credit.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »
yeh they are both hip-hop, just so happens one is mainstream and not very good. beats and rhymes? oh thats not hip hop lollll. oh yeah and u mentioned jay and madonnas "respective genres". what was madonnas genre before she went pop?

Madonna started off making dance music that was very new wave and post-disco inspired. Listen to "Everybody" and then listen to "Material Girl".

westside159

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »
Dont follow him , but figure how he got to where he's at and get that paper  "     real talk

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »
I bet you not many rappers even think about artistic integrity. We as fans judge rappers music hard. But rappers judge themselves based on what they have accomplished. I'm not saying Nas is bumping Wayne and Rick Ross, but he has no problem giving those guys props for their success. Or working with them on a collab. That's true for most mainstream rappers. Underground artists get an unfair pass for not "selling out", when in reality they would probably be making songs with pop rappers if they could.

That might be true for some rappers.But do you honestly think people like immortal technique give a shit about mainstream sales or making pop singles.

Immortal Technique is definitely one of the ones who doesn't give a shit about going mainstream. But like I said...most. Like Slaughterhouse, for example.

David Mack

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • $700,000 richer Blood
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
Looks like rakim wants to become a freemason.............be a part of the winning team.

Officer Perez

??? I don't know this guy so fuck you!

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »
I didnt say he wasnt good at it.The guy has the hits no doubt.The artist that is paralell to a jay z is a madonna.They both have had huge success,lasted a long time shown great business sense,have a knack for big singles.Jay Z is literally the madonna of hip hop.yes theyve both had huge success and are great at what they do,but niether are anywhere close to the greatest in their respective genres.

Now here's where we have different definitions for greatest. To me, greatest doesn't mean the best. When we think of other genres like rock. the "greats" are the ones who were immensely successful and had an impact on the genre, not the ones who can play the guitar the best. Madonna is considered one of the greatest pop singers of all time because of her influence and her hits. I think of hip hop the same way.

There are many rappers who can outrap Jay-Z. Doesn't mean he's not one of the greatest. He's not on my top 10 list. But to the world he's a legend. That's what makes him great. An underground rapper can't be one of the greatest since they haven't influenced anything.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
i have to disagree with you on most of this, madonna took chances and risked career suicide on several occasions, she is a self made artist, jay just went off of other's "blueprint" to get to the point he's at, if biggs didn't tell him to switch that style up jay probably would still be a no where fast rap'n rapper,  as far as a haging a great business mind, making big hits and still being able to attract a young audience you are correct, but madonna's risk especially being a woman and doing the shit that was considered taboo at the time puts her outta his league, i respect that bitch madge for defying the system i just respect hov for the chipper jones he's earned yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Jaydc

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »

Now here's where we have different definitions for greatest. To me, greatest doesn't mean the best. When we think of other genres like rock. the "greats" are the ones who were immensely successful and had an impact on the genre, not the ones who can play the guitar the best. Madonna is considered one of the greatest pop singers of all time because of her influence and her hits. I think of hip hop the same way.

There are many rappers who can outrap Jay-Z. Doesn't mean he's not one of the greatest. He's not on my top 10 list. But to the world he's a legend. That's what makes him great. An underground rapper can't be one of the greatest since they haven't influenced anything.

Well the question posed is who is the greatest emcee of all time,not who can make the most pop songs in rap.I think we can both agree that Jay z is not the greatest emcee of all time.