Author Topic: Rakim answers "Who is the greatest MC of all time?"  (Read 1648 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Rakim answers "Who is the greatest MC of all time?"
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 03:58:28 PM »
I didnt say he wasnt good at it.The guy has the hits no doubt.The artist that is paralell to a jay z is a madonna.They both have had huge success,lasted a long time shown great business sense,have a knack for big singles.Jay Z is literally the madonna of hip hop.yes theyve both had huge success and are great at what they do,but niether are anywhere close to the greatest in their respective genres.

Now here's where we have different definitions for greatest. To me, greatest doesn't mean the best. When we think of other genres like rock. the "greats" are the ones who were immensely successful and had an impact on the genre, not the ones who can play the guitar the best. Madonna is considered one of the greatest pop singers of all time because of her influence and her hits. I think of hip hop the same way.

There are many rappers who can outrap Jay-Z. Doesn't mean he's not one of the greatest. He's not on my top 10 list. But to the world he's a legend. That's what makes him great. An underground rapper can't be one of the greatest since they haven't influenced anything.

You name me one of the 'greats" in rock that is comparable to Jay Z and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

Jaydc

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »
I didnt say he wasnt good at it.The guy has the hits no doubt.The artist that is paralell to a jay z is a madonna.They both have had huge success,lasted a long time shown great business sense,have a knack for big singles.Jay Z is literally the madonna of hip hop.yes theyve both had huge success and are great at what they do,but niether are anywhere close to the greatest in their respective genres.

Now here's where we have different definitions for greatest. To me, greatest doesn't mean the best. When we think of other genres like rock. the "greats" are the ones who were immensely successful and had an impact on the genre, not the ones who can play the guitar the best. Madonna is considered one of the greatest pop singers of all time because of her influence and her hits. I think of hip hop the same way.

There are many rappers who can outrap Jay-Z. Doesn't mean he's not one of the greatest. He's not on my top 10 list. But to the world he's a legend. That's what makes him great. An underground rapper can't be one of the greatest since they haven't influenced anything.

You name me one of the 'greats" in rock that is comparable to Jay Z and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

LOL

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2010, 04:40:38 PM »

Well the question posed is who is the greatest emcee of all time,not who can make the most pop songs in rap.I think we can both agree that Jay z is not the greatest emcee of all time.

why isn't he a contender? He's got the popularity, he's got the influence. He's got the longevity. He's got the classic material. And he's managed to achieve legend status without being murdered.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2010, 04:47:08 PM »

Rock singers and rappers aren't really comparable. For one, rock "greats" are far more legendary than any rapper is. But I'll try. People call Elvis Presley the king of rock n roll. To me he's overrated as fuck. He's still one of the greats though. Come to think of it, he does have something in common with Jay-Z. Elvis Presley stole his style from black musicians and ran with it. Jay-Z steals ideas and runs with it  ;D

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
"you little niggas can touch me baby, OK maybe Jay-Z or maybe not" - Royce

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2010, 05:29:21 PM »
i think the poster who mentioned Krs-One saying Lil' Wayne was the best of all time shows how little meaning it all holds.

people will forever suck on the money.

the way Rakim worded it was fair enough, but the question should have been "whose been the most successful?".

rap was created for people to get paid & get up out of the hood, i would say in terms of doing that Jay-Z has set the standard; went from you're local homeboy to the biggest name in rap.

but the only thing that sets him apart from Eminem is he's been around longer & has had more success with investments & stuff.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »

Rock singers and rappers aren't really comparable. For one, rock "greats" are far more legendary than any rapper is. But I'll try. People call Elvis Presley the king of rock n roll. To me he's overrated as fuck. He's still one of the greats though. Come to think of it, he does have something in common with Jay-Z. Elvis Presley stole his style from black musicians and ran with it. Jay-Z steals ideas and runs with it  ;D

How do you steal a style? He grew up in Memphis right off of Beale street. I love how all the black artists of the time that had talent loved Elvis, but all these modern talentless buffoons call him a theif.

Elvis didn't "steal" anymore from Fats Domino than he did from Hank Williams. But he could sing with the very best of them, and re-arrange and produce songs with the very best of them. Elvis could sing and perform at the same level as Jackie Wilson and James Brown. Elvis became a local star based completely on raw talent. Jay Z became a star on honing a skill based around a lack of musical talent. And that's not a knock on Jay. I'm just saying if Jay could sing like Marvin Gaye and dance like James Brown from his teen years onward he never would have been a rapper. He'd have been a top RnB singer.

Jay Z is more comparable to Jimmy Paige or John Lennon than Elvis.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
what ??? yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »

How do you steal a style? He grew up in Memphis right off of Beale street. I love how all the black artists of the time that had talent loved Elvis, but all these modern talentless buffoons call him a theif.

Elvis didn't "steal" anymore from Fats Domino than he did from Hank Williams. But he could sing with the very best of them, and re-arrange and produce songs with the very best of them. Elvis could sing and perform at the same level as Jackie Wilson and James Brown. Elvis became a local star based completely on raw talent. Jay Z became a star on honing a skill based around a lack of musical talent. And that's not a knock on Jay. I'm just saying if Jay could sing like Marvin Gaye and dance like James Brown from his teen years onward he never would have been a rapper. He'd have been a top RnB singer.

Didn't I say rappers and singers aren't comparable? I was speaking towards their accomplishments, not skill versus talent, which is a completely different topic. Honestly I'm not really a big fan of Elvis Presley. If you think he's one of the greatest singers, that's on you. But you should at least get my point. Elvis Presley is one of the greats because of his legacy, not because of his "raw talent." There's a lot of talented singers who never get notice. Just like there's a lot of skilled rappers who could rap circles around Jay-Z. But they aren't "great." How could they be the greatest of all time with zero recognition?

Jaydc

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2010, 01:35:43 AM »
Jay Z is the greatest in the same way that Lil wayne is the best rapper alive.

Sikotic™

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »
I don't give a fuck what Rakim says, Jay is still ass.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

kuruptDPG

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2010, 05:02:51 AM »
the bests should go to cube,2pac,krs1

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:44 AM »
y'all sensitive
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »

Didn't I say rappers and singers aren't comparable? I was speaking towards their accomplishments, not skill versus talent, which is a completely different topic. Honestly I'm not really a big fan of Elvis Presley. If you think he's one of the greatest singers, that's on you. But you should at least get my point. Elvis Presley is one of the greats because of his legacy, not because of his "raw talent." There's a lot of talented singers who never get notice. Just like there's a lot of skilled rappers who could rap circles around Jay-Z. But they aren't "great." How could they be the greatest of all time with zero recognition?

Yeah but you're probably not a fan of anything that came out of Beale Street in the 50s. You cannot think Elvis can't sing and Jackie Wilson can sing. Elvis was one of the greats before his legacy. It's all in the Sun Sessions. The way he fused RnB with Hillbilly was extremely innovative, but it was his raw talent that gave him the chance to become influential.

For the style of music he was singing Elvis was at the top of the game. When I say that, that's not "on me". That's on the general consensus of people who like that music. I hate personally hate MJ's voice but I'll agree he was one of the best singers of his style of music. There's subjective and there's objective.

The point is if Elvis had the natural talent of Jay Z he would have amounted to nothing.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
^
^
That's not relevant to this discussion. What does natural talent have to do with the greatest in rap? Rapping isn't a natural talent, its an acquired skill. Like guitar playing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 11:08:37 AM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »