Author Topic: Common - Electric Circus: Thoughts...  (Read 332 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Common - Electric Circus: Thoughts...
« on: December 06, 2002, 12:31:15 PM »
1. ferris wheel- instrumental intro... kind of reminds me of the shit the roots used to close Illadelph with... but not as good or anything.

2. soul power - nice hard beat... Com sounds pretty good... nice scratched sample...

3. aquarius - hmm... Com sounds very nice, beat is interesting, the bottom end is more mellow but the samples/guitar on top give it a mixed feel.  hook could be done without, its not bad just... eh.

4. electric wire hustle flower - thankfully the POD guy has a limited role.... i like the rock vibe, not sure if i like how they did com's voice but its a solid joint. hook is good

5. the hustle - i remember digging this on the snippets... still solid.. Common sounds like the Common of old a bit more on this one... as opposed to other joints here where his flow seems different... this reminds me of One Day/Like Water... nice joint!

6. come close - yuck. yuck. oh and... YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. new wave - here's some crazy production.  bits of piano/keyboard/organ... some wierd ass singing... pounding fast tempo beat... Common sounds about as good as he can with the track distracting me.... not bad.

8. Star *69 (With Love) - nothing special here.... not bad just zzzzz.

9. I Got The Right Ta - I dig this joint, despite my general dislike for the Neptunes... Com's flow is sick... and he seems to spit tongue in cheek a lot of the track.
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
Re:Common - Electric Circus: Thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 12:31:32 PM »

10. Between Me, You and Liberation - hmm... has to grow on you definitely, nice concept wise... subdued, slow, low vibe.  Cee-Lo is an excellent addition to this joint... not fucking with G.O.D. from One Day in any way, but a nice song.

11. I Am Music - hmm.. production is a plus... Jill Scott's singing is interesting... adds an element to the track... Common rips the track hard once he gets on it!

12. Jimi Was A Rock Star - tributes to jimi hendrix are great... but why on your album?  this doesnt really jive with the rest of the LP to me, and the lack of MCing or anything on interest vocally really makes me say "bleh"... musically its okay... but not blowing my mind at all....

13. Heaven Somewhere - crazy track... lots of changes throughout musically.. features like half the guests on the album or so... plus Pops of course.... nice way to close the album i guess... but i would've rather had a nice 4 minute cut and then Pops rappin like always....

overall theres some excellent songs like; soul power, aquarius, the hustle, i got the right ta, i am music, me you & liberation... there's some stuff thats okay... and then there's come close, which is just a steaming pile of crap... then there's jimi was a rock star... which doesnt fit this album at all.....*shrug*  strange album.
lyrically/flow wise Com does his thing no doubt... musically i'm about half-sold on the album... i've never had common songs not appeal to me like a few on here do... so its a bit puzzling for me...

i'm gonna have to say 3.5/5, leaning up a little... but not enough for a 4.

Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

S.G.V.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 05:53:17 PM »
damn...i was thinkin it was gonna be alot better...hmmmm

Murrow

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 07:50:21 PM »
I'm halfway through the album and I can't really judge it.  I like the acid rock sound mixed in with the melodic hip-hop beats and scratches.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 09:26:01 PM »
I agree with ur review but "Come Close" is the shit  :o :o :o the video is really smooth

S.G.V.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 01:11:22 AM »
"Come Close" is the shit  :o :o :o the video is really smooth
i agree man...come close is tight as hell...the video is funny...all the signs n shit

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2002, 05:35:38 AM »
Nice review of "Come Close" Cliche, lol. You really ain't feeling it huh? I think it's dope so if you think the album doesn't get any worse than that then i'll probably end up rating it a little higher when I finally hear it in full.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Murrow

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2002, 07:04:40 AM »
Um...where is common on like 3 of the tracks, lol.  Not bad for first listen, I want to hear it over again cause it is something I can get into.

EM28

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2002, 07:02:28 PM »
I'll judge the album when i buy it and listen to it on Tues. nov, 10.

EM28

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2002, 07:03:02 PM »
how y'all get the album already did you download it from kazaa.

Jome

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2002, 04:51:44 PM »
^^ Nah, we DL it from the one and only mIRC

I was rather disappointed with this album.
Only a few dope cuts, and the album has a kind of a TOO alternative feel to it, if you ask me.
Some of the tracks isn't even hiphop.

Vigilante

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Future Revolutionary Classic
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2002, 09:05:33 PM »
damn...i was thinkin it was gonna be alot better...hmmmm

This album recieved 3 Mics in the Source.....BS
Go support him and go buy it!

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2002, 09:11:21 PM »
WEIRD album, lol I know that much for sure.  I think he mighta got Bustah/Missy syndrome on this album, if you ask me.  

Some of it is real dope, though.  "I got a right ta" is AWESOME, I think.... Man, the neptunes are tearing things up.