Author Topic: Bone Thugs was right when they said Eazy didn't/don't get enough respect.  (Read 1321 times)

JohnnyL

Eazy E did not have productive or intelligent lyrics.

I don't think Eazy ever intended to be a social reformer.  I think sometimes his and N.W.A.s songs unintentionally achieved that end.  But really, why does everything have to be productive or intelligent?  Why not sometimes just entertaining?

i think he was being sarcastic lol!

My bad, then.  I think there's been so many different points of view presented in this thread, that now even I'm having trouble keeping all of them straight. 

Bananas

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. Like you said, sometimes it can just be entertaining. Lets face it though, he was only entertaining to a certain extent. No outstanding lyrics, decent beats, mostly just talking about killing and gangsta shit. Sure, it might be fun for a while, but how much respect and recognition does one deserve for only fulfilling one lane and not even in a profound way?

JohnnyL

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. Like you said, sometimes it can just be entertaining. Lets face it though, he was only entertaining to a certain extent. No outstanding lyrics, decent beats, mostly just talking about killing and gangsta shit. Sure, it might be fun for a while, but how much respect and recognition does one deserve for only fulfilling one lane and not even in a profound way?

Well, on the lyric side I agree with you.  It wasn't anything earth shattering.  Although, I have to say the kind of stuff he was rapping about is taken for granted now because so many people make that kind of music.  But back in the 1980s, there really weren't too many people rapping about the kind of stuff that Eazy-E and N.W.A. were rapping about.  No, they weren't the first ones to do it, but I wouldn't say it was the norm at all, either.
 Beat wise, I'll admit that "Eazy-Duz-It" souds pretty dated now.  But I think for the time, the beats were good.  That was a young Dr. Dre.  Rap, like all music is a constantly evolving art.  I think Dre's sound has evolved with the times.  In that respect, while I think Dre's new stuff sounds much better than his old stuff, I try to keep things in an historical context.  Dre wasn't at the top of his game when "Eazy-Duz-It" was released, but also people's taste in music has changed a lot, over the years.
  In trying to keep things in perspective, let me try to explain my point a little better.  When I say Eazy-E deserves his due credit, I'm not trying to say he was the sole contributor to rap or even gansta rap.  Or that he was even the greatest contributor.  What I mean is, his and N.W.A.'s music was an important step to where rap music is now.  It wasn't the only step.  There were many other important steps, and many contributors.  But it was one of them.

BiggBoogaBiff

Well, on the lyric side I agree with you.  It wasn't anything earth shattering.  Although, I have to say the kind of stuff he was rapping about is taken for granted now because so many people make that kind of music.  But back in the 1980s, there really weren't too many people rapping about the kind of stuff that Eazy-E and N.W.A. were rapping about.  No, they weren't the first ones to do it, but I wouldn't say it was the norm at all, either.
 Beat wise, I'll admit that "Eazy-Duz-It" souds pretty dated now.  But I think for the time, the beats were good.  That was a young Dr. Dre.  Rap, like all music is a constantly evolving art.  I think Dre's sound has evolved with the times.  In that respect, while I think Dre's new stuff sounds much better than his old stuff, I try to keep things in an historical context.  Dre wasn't at the top of his game when "Eazy-Duz-It" was released, but also people's taste in music has changed a lot, over the years.
  In trying to keep things in perspective, let me try to explain my point a little better.  When I say Eazy-E deserves his due credit, I'm not trying to say he was the sole contributor to rap or even gansta rap.  Or that he was even the greatest contributor.  What I mean is, his and N.W.A.'s music was an important step to where rap music is now.  It wasn't the only step.  There were many other important steps, and many contributors.  But it was one of them.

dont try 2 play it off homie.  u r right.  Eazy E was tha 1st muthafucka to jump out there 2 tha masses like then (then followed up by Cube of course, but that was a year or alittle later).  Eazy E did his thing.  I think the notion about his lyrics has overshadowed the point.  U can't praise praise Eazy 4 his lyrics like u could with Pac or whoever (Jay for another example) but what he did changed the game.  It don't matter if he was a lyricist like a Ghostface Killah or not. 

JohnnyL

dont try 2 play it off homie.  u r right.  Eazy E was tha 1st muthafucka to jump out there 2 tha masses like then (then followed up by Cube of course, but that was a year or alittle later).  Eazy E did his thing.  I think the notion about his lyrics has overshadowed the point.  U can't praise praise Eazy 4 his lyrics like u could with Pac or whoever (Jay for another example) but what he did changed the game.  It don't matter if he was a lyricist like a Ghostface Killah or not. 

Completely agree.

Triple OG Rapsodie

Well, on the lyric side I agree with you.  It wasn't anything earth shattering.  Although, I have to say the kind of stuff he was rapping about is taken for granted now because so many people make that kind of music.  But back in the 1980s, there really weren't too many people rapping about the kind of stuff that Eazy-E and N.W.A. were rapping about.  No, they weren't the first ones to do it, but I wouldn't say it was the norm at all, either.
 Beat wise, I'll admit that "Eazy-Duz-It" souds pretty dated now.  But I think for the time, the beats were good.  That was a young Dr. Dre.  Rap, like all music is a constantly evolving art.  I think Dre's sound has evolved with the times.  In that respect, while I think Dre's new stuff sounds much better than his old stuff, I try to keep things in an historical context.  Dre wasn't at the top of his game when "Eazy-Duz-It" was released, but also people's taste in music has changed a lot, over the years.
  In trying to keep things in perspective, let me try to explain my point a little better. When I say Eazy-E deserves his due credit, I'm not trying to say he was the sole contributor to rap or even gansta rap.  Or that he was even the greatest contributor.  What I mean is, his and N.W.A.'s music was an important step to where rap music is now.  It wasn't the only step.  There were many other important steps, and many contributors.  But it was one of them.

No one disagrees with that point. He gets plenty of credit as a pioneer. End thread?

The OP asked why he didn't get as much love as 2Pac and Biggie, and I think we've established that its because of his lack of skill and content. MC Hammer was a pioneer as well, but no one seems to complain that he isn't considered one of the greats.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:12:23 PM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

JohnnyL

Well, on the lyric side I agree with you.  It wasn't anything earth shattering.  Although, I have to say the kind of stuff he was rapping about is taken for granted now because so many people make that kind of music.  But back in the 1980s, there really weren't too many people rapping about the kind of stuff that Eazy-E and N.W.A. were rapping about.  No, they weren't the first ones to do it, but I wouldn't say it was the norm at all, either.
 Beat wise, I'll admit that "Eazy-Duz-It" souds pretty dated now.  But I think for the time, the beats were good.  That was a young Dr. Dre.  Rap, like all music is a constantly evolving art.  I think Dre's sound has evolved with the times.  In that respect, while I think Dre's new stuff sounds much better than his old stuff, I try to keep things in an historical context.  Dre wasn't at the top of his game when "Eazy-Duz-It" was released, but also people's taste in music has changed a lot, over the years.
  In trying to keep things in perspective, let me try to explain my point a little better. When I say Eazy-E deserves his due credit, I'm not trying to say he was the sole contributor to rap or even gansta rap.  Or that he was even the greatest contributor.  What I mean is, his and N.W.A.'s music was an important step to where rap music is now.  It wasn't the only step.  There were many other important steps, and many contributors.  But it was one of them.

No one disagrees with that point. He gets plenty of credit as a pioneer. End thread?

The OP asked why he didn't get as much love as 2Pac and Biggie, and I think we've established that its because of his lack of skill and content. MC Hammer was a pioneer as well, but no one seems to complain that he isn't considered one of the greats.

Technically, the original point stated that Eazy didn't get as much "luv" as 2pac and Biggie.  It never actually asked a question.  And I still (as I always have) agree with your point that Eazy didn't have the technical skill at lyrics that 2pac and Biggie had.  But I don't know for a fact that that's why he doesn't get the same recognition.  And as far as MC Hammer, I would agree that he probably is under-appreciated.  But he's also still alive.  Unfortunately, people often tend to not appreciate what they have until it's gone.

BiggBoogaBiff

did u really have to still go on about this?  and no i didn't say "how come Eazy E doesn't get as much love as pac or biggie" those two were just examples (another example of rapsodie not being able to comprehend shit).  and JL man u don't have 2 agree anymore lol it's okay homie, we (I) get u.  jay just thinx it's cool 2 keep rummaging on about tha nonsense and trying to take every attempt to make me look bad (which his attempts are very poor and pathetik everytime).  You can't even compare 2Pac to Biggie Smalls really (well i guess u can, but in a way u can't considering Pac had a bigger body of work and was a more diverse artist).  This thread has taken a tole on rasodie's mind so bad now, it's time 2 give tha little fella a rest now he's hurting.  

we went from boyzndahood vs. six in tha mornin 2 comparing 2pac to Eazy to eazy e's lyrical approach to a whole rack-a uh shit; and gentlemen that shit didn't have anything 2 do with what I was talkin about.  i give rasodie and a few others their props 4 always coming in2 my threads and trying 2 turn it in2 a circus and have everybody disagree with me or just rock a different way, they're persistant i'll give em that but this time shit just got way outta hand.  i didn't even bother 2 read any of midwestryder's shit.  that nigga went too emo on me about shit and tried 2 give me a history lesson n shit LMAO! fail.  that nigga need 2 learn 2 speak clearly of his thoughts instead of writing manuals n shit.  lol.  bottom line is my nigga Eazy E needs this amount of attention this thread got from us in the media and books... that's it.  yell lol!

Sikotic™

He he died doing some shit that he talked about in his songs, then he woulda got way more respect. Instead, he got AIDS and died of a cold.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

JohnnyL

He he died doing some shit that he talked about in his songs, then he woulda got way more respect. Instead, he got AIDS and died of a cold.

"Gimmie That Nut"
"Automobile"
"Find 'Em Fuck 'Em and Flee"
"Lickin' Suckin' Fuckin'"
"Hit the Hooker"

He did die from shit he talked about doing in his songs.

BIGWORM

Besides PIMP-C. He would be the first dead rapper I would bring back if I could. Any and every old school hip hop/rap fan knows what Eazy-E was too us. Fuck you new school hip hop fans as well as the new artists.....

Triple OG Rapsodie

No one denies he's a pioneer. I still don't understand what respect he doesn't get.

JohnnyL

No one denies he's a pioneer. I still don't understand what respect he doesn't get.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reason for thinking he doesn't get enough respect is that he's hardly ever mentioned by people any more.  It just seems like people have forgotten about him.  I'm not expecting him to get his own postage stamp or have a holiday named after him, but once in a while someone other than Bone Thugs could give him a mention.  As a fan, it would have been nice if Ruthless had put a little more effort into his posthumous releases as well.  I realize he didn't have nearly the volume of unreleased work that 2pac or even Biggie had, but they could have done a little better than they did on that "Godfather of Gangsta Rap" e.p.  I didn't think it was terrible, but it could have been a lot better.   

Triple OG Rapsodie

I can't speak for anyone else, but my reason for thinking he doesn't get enough respect is that he's hardly ever mentioned by people any more.  It just seems like people have forgotten about him.  I'm not expecting him to get his own postage stamp or have a holiday named after him, but once in a while someone other than Bone Thugs could give him a mention.  As a fan, it would have been nice if Ruthless had put a little more effort into his posthumous releases as well.  I realize he didn't have nearly the volume of unreleased work that 2pac or even Biggie had, but they could have done a little better than they did on that "Godfather of Gangsta Rap" e.p.  I didn't think it was terrible, but it could have been a lot better.   

It's to be expected considering he died over 15 years ago. Lol @ you expecting him to still be relevant.

Sikotic™

"Gimmie That Nut"
"Automobile"
"Find 'Em Fuck 'Em and Flee"
"Lickin' Suckin' Fuckin'"
"Hit the Hooker"

He did die from shit he talked about doing in his songs.
Fucking didn't kill him. AIDS did.

And AIDS is not gangsta.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE