Author Topic: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!  (Read 6555 times)

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
i really like this song, plus he said havoc is also producing for recovery, that sounds intiresting

JohnnyL

Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!(tags)
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
 I like the track, and I like that after 5 studio albums, Em is finally ready to drop the gimmicky first single that had kind of become a tradition for him.  I think that decision will please hardcore Eminem fans, although I'm not sure how the more casual fans will react to it.  Personally, I think it's the right direction for him to be moving.  I actually wasn't a big detractor of "Relapse."  However, one of my criticisms of it was that "We Made You," seemed too jokey to really fit the tone of the rest of the album.  It seemed like, in that case Eminem felt the need to put the "obligatory" gimmick single on there, even though it didn't really jibe with the rest of the album.  With this song though, I don't get that sense at all.  
  That line on here about "Relapse" was interesting too.  It seems as though Eminem is his own worst critic.  But I definitely prefer that to him acting like "Relapse" was a perfect album.  And the absence of the now infamous "accent" makes me think he is making a conscious effort to listen to his fans.
  Overall, I'm happy with the way this track turned out.  I can't say Em knocked this one out of the park.  But I would consider this a big step in the right direction.  I liked the chorus.  The beat was nice.  And Eminem's lyrics were straight forward and to the point, rather than relying on accents or jokes about celebrities and pop culture.  I hope the rest of the album follows suit.
did we listen to the same album?

You didn't think it sounded a lot more poppy than the tone of the rest of "Relapse," ?  I have to say I thought the same thing about "Crack a Bottle," which is a shame because it was one of the few accent-free tracks on the album.  But to me those two songs, while okay as stand alone songs, seem oddly out of place within the context of the album.

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2010, 09:58:19 AM »
plus i really love concept and vibe of this song

JohnnyL

Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!(tags)
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
"To the fans ill never let you down again im back,
I promise to never go back on that promise,
in fact lets be honest, that last relapse cd was ehhh,
perhaps the random accents was the problem,
relax i aint going back to that now!"

Jeez and i loved relapse. still do. but....damn

Yeah, wtf.. :P
I really like the relapse album, and think it's kinda shitty that he disses it.. How about dissing Encore, that album was his worst Imo (and I'm a eminem fan)..

The single is good, but I'm not the biggest fan of the beat.. It will probably grow on me..
Can't wait for recovery though.. ;)

He means it was bad because of his rapping and the accent in particular.

As for this song, mid way through first listen I wanted to hate, but it's growing on me. I just wish he only did the rapping. I don't need to hear Em sing the chorus or the bridge. Mid range Don't Cry Axl Rose would have been great doing the singing on this track and wit the content it would mean something too.

Finally.  An honest criticism of this song.  Complete with an opinion that isn't blatantly biased and offers constructive input.  Glad to see some people can still give one of those.

The Predator

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »
Beat sounds like the producer was banging spoons on baked beans tins, and allow the whole sing-a-long Eminem.

Wack.

Lunatic

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2010, 10:01:07 AM »
I don't see how anyone can call this pop. This beat is simple but decent. Reading the comments, I expected a poppy ass hook - sure he sings the chorus but it's not cheesy or poppy. The singing before the 3rd verse was a bit unnecessary but this joint is pretty fucking hot  8)

VERY different than Em's typical 1st singles.

Least he knows the accent was stupid and Relapse was eyy lol
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
I'm feeling it, hook and all, and i like the fact that em broke outta the first single formula he had held onto since 98
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

JohnnyL

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »
I don't see how anyone can call this pop. This beat is simple but decent. Reading the comments, I expected a poppy ass hook - sure he sings the chorus but it's not cheesy or poppy. The singing before the 3rd verse was a bit unnecessary but this joint is pretty fucking hot  8)

Personally, I would say his past first singles have been much closer to being "Pop" than this.  In fact, I think in the grand scheme of things, going with a more conventional single might prove to be a risky move, sales-wise.  I think this single will please the more avid Eminem fans.  But in the past, Eminem's first singles with all of their references to pop culture, have kind of been the "hook" that has drawn in the more casual fans.  Personally, I really like this new single.  I'm just not sure it will have the same cross-over appeal with the casual rap fans.  But I guess time will tell.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2010, 10:08:35 AM »
Sick - feel the beat (simple but the effects/keys work nice) feel his voice (apart from the 2.50 bit but fuck it its a single)

Feel the content - its the Em we all want. He even acknowledges it....

"and to the fans
ill never let you down again
im back
i promise to not go back on that promise
in fact lets be honest that last relapse CD was ehhhhh"

PROPS TO EM

WORD!   Exactly.  I am very happy Eminem said this.  I'll always love Eminem for what he accomplished from 98-2003, but this restores my faith in the abilities of the new Eminem.  And this song is more what we expect from him.

12 years after being signed by Dre Eminem is back and still doing it!!!!
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »

Personally, I would say his past first singles have been much closer to being "Pop" than this.  In fact, I think in the grand scheme of things, going with a more conventional single might prove to be a risky move, sales-wise.  I think this single will please the more avid Eminem fans.  But in the past, Eminem's first singles with all of their references to pop culture, have kind of been the "hook" that has drawn in the more casual fans.  Personally, I really like this new single.  I'm just not sure it will have the same cross-over appeal with the casual rap fans.  But I guess time will tell.
+1
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
I wish people would quit complaining about Eminem's lead singles to his albums... Because most were excellent, and paved the way for his music reaching a broader audience which people can't fake like that isn't important on so many levels.

"My Name Is"- 10 out of 10 
"Real Slim Shady"- 10 out of 10
"Purple Pills"- 8 out of 10
"Without Me"- 6 out 10
"Lose Yourself" 10BILLION out of 10
"My Band"- 4 out of 10
"Just Lose It" 1 out of 10
"We Made You" 1 out of 10
"Not Afraid"- 7 out of 10

...So most of his first singles you have to admit were great songs.  And the ones that weren't still served the purpose of helping him reach a broader audience and kept him from becoming a bitter and disgruntled battle rapper like Canibus, or great lyricist like Ras Kass who most people have never heard of.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Laconic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Barracuda With It.
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2010, 10:19:12 AM »
Good to hear Em using his normal voice again and spitting some worthwhile lyrics.  However, the beat is very mediocre and the hook/bridge is just alright.  

But for real, why can't Em spit some relevant shit with Dre's team overseeing production duties?  This beat is so underwhelming and disappointing yet he wants to make music that is more timeless.  This ain't the one.  

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2010, 10:21:33 AM »
not bad. Beat fits Eminem

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2010, 10:27:28 AM »
Relapse was a very dope album, EM showing he has no conviction by turning his back on his own work because some people didn't like Relapse

Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »

Relapse was a very dope album, EM showing he has no conviction by turning his back on his own work because some people didn't like Relapse

That's not turning his back on his music.  It's just turning his back on that one shitty ass album that people only liked because Em is such a musical genius that even his shittiest work still has some quality to it.