Author Topic: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!  (Read 6570 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!(tags)
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2010, 06:20:59 AM »
 I like the track, and I like that after 5 studio albums, Em is finally ready to drop the gimmicky first single that had kind of become a tradition for him.  I think that decision will please hardcore Eminem fans, although I'm not sure how the more casual fans will react to it.  Personally, I think it's the right direction for him to be moving.  I actually wasn't a big detractor of "Relapse."  However, one of my criticisms of it was that "We Made You," seemed too jokey to really fit the tone of the rest of the album.  It seemed like, in that case Eminem felt the need to put the "obligatory" gimmick single on there, even though it didn't really jibe with the rest of the album. With this song though, I don't get that sense at all.  
  That line on here about "Relapse" was interesting too.  It seems as though Eminem is his own worst critic.  But I definitely prefer that to him acting like "Relapse" was a perfect album.  And the absence of the now infamous "accent" makes me think he is making a conscious effort to listen to his fans.
  Overall, I'm happy with the way this track turned out.  I can't say Em knocked this one out of the park.  But I would consider this a big step in the right direction.  I liked the chorus.  The beat was nice.  And Eminem's lyrics were straight forward and to the point, rather than relying on accents or jokes about celebrities and pop culture.  I hope the rest of the album follows suit.
did we listen to the same album?

You didn't think it sounded a lot more poppy than the tone of the rest of "Relapse," ?  I have to say I thought the same thing about "Crack a Bottle," which is a shame because it was one of the few accent-free tracks on the album.  But to me those two songs, while okay as stand alone songs, seem oddly out of place within the context of the album.
well if you really want to go that route, i'm sure you can mention more songs from that album that fit the description?
it's not like the rest of the album is dark

Good to hear Em using his normal voice again and spitting some worthwhile lyrics.  However, the beat is very mediocre and the hook/bridge is just alright.  

But for real, why can't Em spit some relevant shit with Dre's team overseeing production duties?  This beat is so underwhelming and disappointing yet he wants to make music that is more timeless.  This ain't the one.  
looks like we're on the same page  :cheers:

This is better than the entire Relapse album combined. You can hear that it benefit's Eminem to work with new producers. The beats on Relapse was mediocre and bland, and somewhat uninspiring. However, I think Recovery will be very good

If the beats on relapse were mediocre and bland then that makes this beat the equivalent of someone farting for a bassline and another person hitting a stick on a can every few seconds.
oh shit, you're getting more serious lately, jay! nice.

agreed, simple Dre beat> this boring beat

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:28:34 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2010, 06:27:11 AM »
Relapse had 3-4 decent beats, rest of them was mediocre. If anyone besides Dre had produced "must be the ganja", "same song and dance", or even "hello" you would probably dislike them.
I for one think this beat is great. Suits Eminem perfectly, nice and simple and has a great uplifting feeling.

JohnnyL

Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!(tags)
« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2010, 07:22:37 AM »
 I like the track, and I like that after 5 studio albums, Em is finally ready to drop the gimmicky first single that had kind of become a tradition for him.  I think that decision will please hardcore Eminem fans, although I'm not sure how the more casual fans will react to it.  Personally, I think it's the right direction for him to be moving.  I actually wasn't a big detractor of "Relapse."  However, one of my criticisms of it was that "We Made You," seemed too jokey to really fit the tone of the rest of the album.  It seemed like, in that case Eminem felt the need to put the "obligatory" gimmick single on there, even though it didn't really jibe with the rest of the album. With this song though, I don't get that sense at all.  
  That line on here about "Relapse" was interesting too.  It seems as though Eminem is his own worst critic.  But I definitely prefer that to him acting like "Relapse" was a perfect album.  And the absence of the now infamous "accent" makes me think he is making a conscious effort to listen to his fans.
  Overall, I'm happy with the way this track turned out.  I can't say Em knocked this one out of the park.  But I would consider this a big step in the right direction.  I liked the chorus.  The beat was nice.  And Eminem's lyrics were straight forward and to the point, rather than relying on accents or jokes about celebrities and pop culture.  I hope the rest of the album follows suit.
did we listen to the same album?

You didn't think it sounded a lot more poppy than the tone of the rest of "Relapse," ?  I have to say I thought the same thing about "Crack a Bottle," which is a shame because it was one of the few accent-free tracks on the album.  But to me those two songs, while okay as stand alone songs, seem oddly out of place within the context of the album.
well if you really want to go that route, i'm sure you can mention more songs from that album that fit the description?
it's not like the rest of the album is dark

Good to hear Em using his normal voice again and spitting some worthwhile lyrics.  However, the beat is very mediocre and the hook/bridge is just alright.  

But for real, why can't Em spit some relevant shit with Dre's team overseeing production duties?  This beat is so underwhelming and disappointing yet he wants to make music that is more timeless.  This ain't the one.  
looks like we're on the same page  :cheers:

This is better than the entire Relapse album combined. You can hear that it benefit's Eminem to work with new producers. The beats on Relapse was mediocre and bland, and somewhat uninspiring. However, I think Recovery will be very good

If the beats on relapse were mediocre and bland then that makes this beat the equivalent of someone farting for a bassline and another person hitting a stick on a can every few seconds.
oh shit, you're getting more serious lately, jay! nice.

agreed, simple Dre beat> this boring beat

It seemed pretty dark to me.  But it has been a while, so let's have a look see:

1. Dr. West

Doctor starts out friendly then basically turns to Satan and tries to tempt Em with Drugs.  I'm goint to have to say "dark."

2. 3 AM

Entire song is about Eminem murdering people.  I've heard some say it was based loosely off real life serial killer H. H. Holmes..."dark"

3. My Mom

Okay.  Here, we have Em rapping once again about his mom's drug addiction. I wouldn't say this is as dark as the previous two tracks because Em has added a comedic tone to his delivery.  But the subject matter is definitely dark, so I'm going to still go with "dark."

4. Insane

Em's stepdad fucks him in the ass...."dark."

5. Bagpipes from Bagdad

Okay.  I can't really call this "dark."  So I'm going to have to give this one to you.  It's not really poppy sounding either though.  Just weird.  And pretty hilarious.

6. Hello

Sorta "dark" because of the subject matter, but again Em's delivery keeps it lighter than it otherwise would be.

7. Tonya

Skit where Eminem pretends to help a girl who's car broke down, so he can get her in his car and kill her. "Dark."

8. Same Song and Dance

Same as above... "Hella-dark."

9. We Made You

Em raps about Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson and sleeping with Sarah Palin.... "Light and Poppy"

10. Medicine Ball

I think I would put this somewhere in-between dark and funny.  Em raps about Christopher Reeve again, who's now been dead for several years, which is definitely morbid.  But there definitely are some funny punch lines on here as well.  Still wouldn't call this "poppy."

11. Paul

Okay.  Not "dark."  Kinda funny the first time you hear it, and then less funny each subsequent time.

12. Stay Wide Awake

I would say this is dark.  Beat's dark, lyrics are dark.  And that umbrella line is gross, by the way. "Dark."

13. Old Time's Sake

I had forgotten about this track.  Which is weird in and of itself, because I normally don't forget about tracks that feature Dre.  Anyway, this track isn't dark at all, but it also isn't poppy.  It's kind of just there.  I would say this is similar to the Dre/Em collabos from the other Eminem albums, only not quite as good.

14. Must be the Ganja

The song itself isn't dark, but it leads into a skit that's really dark.  So I suppose people can decide for themselves whether or not they think this one should be considered dark.

15. Mr. Mathers

Em's coding.  EMTs are trying to bring him back...."dark."

16. Deja Vu

One of my personal favorites on the album.  Eminem's talking about how messed up everything got when he was dealing with his drug addiction.  "Dark."

17. Beautiful

Okay.  This one is kind of an interesting one.  It's not really one of my favorites from the album by any means.  But it seems to be an example of a song that is both "dark and poppy sounding."  But I'll say this, if I were to try to edit out poppy sounding songs to keep the tone of the album consistant, I might still lose this.

18. Crack a Bottle

Okay, so here we have Em, Dre, and 50 rapping over a poppy sounding beat about getting drunk and having bitches in the car with them.  To me, this was obviously made with the thought of having it as a single in mind.  Sure, there's a couple curse words in it, here and there.  But not what I would consider excessive cursing, especially for Em.  I still have to go with "light and poppy."

19. Underground

Alright.  Last one.  Beat's kinda dark on this one.  Eminem's flow is more lyrical than anything else.  Nothing on here is especially dark, but not particularly in contradiction to the tone of the overall album, either.

There you go, Dreday.  Just for you.  My opinion on the whooooooole album. lol  You were right right.  There were a few more tracks, that in retrospect, I thought weren't dark tracks either.  Btw, I don't think I've ever typed "dark" as many in trying to make a point, as I did just there.  I still stand by my opinion though that "We Made You" and "Crack a Bottle" were the too most light-hearted tracks on the album.  And they both seem poppier to me than "I'm Not Afraid."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:29:15 AM by JohnnyL »

Matty

« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2010, 07:38:53 AM »
appreciate the sentiment of this, much more meaningful than some of em's recent shit. boi-1da took it bit too far with that snare sound though, definitely one of his weaker beats. and while he can get away with it with the whole personal vibe and popularity, would be better with a female vocalist singing instead of em.

its a decent track though.

Jaydc

« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »
The more I listen to it two things become more and more apparent.One,eminem is completely on top of his game,his flow,voice,lyrics everything is top notch,I have high hopes for recovery.An the second this beat is fucking horrible,that snare is so cheap sounding and so irritating.Ugh.Every single beat on relapse was better then this.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2010, 08:04:14 AM »
I have a strong feeling that the "issue" with this album is gonna be Eminem singing. He really shouldn't be doing it. "Not Afraid" featuriring Drake or someone like that on vocals would be amazing.

Paul

« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2010, 08:08:35 AM »
"Not Afraid" featuriring Drake or someone like that on vocals would be amazing.

no
funkyfreshintheflesh

I`m Wayne Brady bitch!

« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:10 AM »
The more I listen to it two things become more and more apparent.One,eminem is completely on top of his game,his flow,voice,lyrics everything is top notch,I have high hopes for recovery.An the second this beat is fucking horrible,that snare is so cheap sounding and so irritating.Ugh.Every single beat on relapse was better then this.

hm, wrong. But thanks for trying.

Paul

« Reply #143 on: April 30, 2010, 08:24:05 AM »

hm, wrong. But thanks for trying.

What was wrong? Seems on point to me
funkyfreshintheflesh

The_Offence

« Reply #144 on: April 30, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »
thats huge for boi 1 da i remember when this nigga was a nobody producing for local niggaz in toronto now he's producing for some of the biggest name

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #145 on: April 30, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »
i think the beat serves its purpose. its pretty minimalistic, therefore meaning we focus on the lyrics...on that note, Em just raised my own bar of expectation for the album, im really feelin this  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Jaydc

« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2010, 09:57:58 AM »
i think the beat serves its purpose. its pretty minimalistic, therefore meaning we focus on the lyrics...on that note, Em just raised my own bar of expectation for the album, im really feelin this  8)

Its hard to focus on anything but that annoying snare.

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »

lol it aint that bad...def better than the first singles from his last 3 albums  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »
Single is real nice, eminem kills it,u get used to the hook after few listens and its really good,  but like majority of dudes in here said that snare is annoying as fuck, Doctors beats from relapse shit on this, its just to easy to name all the beats from Relapse and Refill that are better then this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

JohnnyL

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2010, 10:33:40 AM »

Damn.  I didn't even notice the snare, but now that I've seen a couple of you guys mention it, it's probably going to be the only thing I'm able to pay attention to in the song, from now on. lol