Author Topic: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!  (Read 6544 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »
Pretty boring track. 

JohnnyL

Re: Eminem "Not Afraid" 1st Single off Recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!(tags)
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2010, 07:12:43 AM »
 I like the track, and I like that after 5 studio albums, Em is finally ready to drop the gimmicky first single that had kind of become a tradition for him.  I think that decision will please hardcore Eminem fans, although I'm not sure how the more casual fans will react to it.  Personally, I think it's the right direction for him to be moving.  I actually wasn't a big detractor of "Relapse."  However, one of my criticisms of it was that "We Made You," seemed too jokey to really fit the tone of the rest of the album.  It seemed like, in that case Eminem felt the need to put the "obligatory" gimmick single on there, even though it didn't really jibe with the rest of the album. With this song though, I don't get that sense at all.  
  That line on here about "Relapse" was interesting too.  It seems as though Eminem is his own worst critic.  But I definitely prefer that to him acting like "Relapse" was a perfect album.  And the absence of the now infamous "accent" makes me think he is making a conscious effort to listen to his fans.
  Overall, I'm happy with the way this track turned out.  I can't say Em knocked this one out of the park.  But I would consider this a big step in the right direction.  I liked the chorus.  The beat was nice.  And Eminem's lyrics were straight forward and to the point, rather than relying on accents or jokes about celebrities and pop culture.  I hope the rest of the album follows suit.
did we listen to the same album?

You didn't think it sounded a lot more poppy than the tone of the rest of "Relapse," ?  I have to say I thought the same thing about "Crack a Bottle," which is a shame because it was one of the few accent-free tracks on the album.  But to me those two songs, while okay as stand alone songs, seem oddly out of place within the context of the album.
well if you really want to go that route, i'm sure you can mention more songs from that album that fit the description?
it's not like the rest of the album is dark

Good to hear Em using his normal voice again and spitting some worthwhile lyrics.  However, the beat is very mediocre and the hook/bridge is just alright.  

But for real, why can't Em spit some relevant shit with Dre's team overseeing production duties?  This beat is so underwhelming and disappointing yet he wants to make music that is more timeless.  This ain't the one.  
looks like we're on the same page  :cheers:

This is better than the entire Relapse album combined. You can hear that it benefit's Eminem to work with new producers. The beats on Relapse was mediocre and bland, and somewhat uninspiring. However, I think Recovery will be very good

If the beats on relapse were mediocre and bland then that makes this beat the equivalent of someone farting for a bassline and another person hitting a stick on a can every few seconds.
oh shit, you're getting more serious lately, jay! nice.

agreed, simple Dre beat> this boring beat

It seemed pretty dark to me.  But it has been a while, so let's have a look see:

There you go, Dreday.  Just for you.  My opinion on the whooooooole album. lol  You were right right.  There were a few more tracks, that in retrospect, I thought weren't dark tracks either.  Btw, I don't think I've ever typed "dark" as many in trying to make a point, as I did just there.  I still stand by my opinion though that "We Made You" and "Crack a Bottle" were the too most light-hearted tracks on the album.  And they both seem poppier to me than "I'm Not Afraid."
LOL i didn't expect a breakdown, but it's all good, i've read it, but only quoted a part of your post.
yes the single choices were obvious, i just disagree that they didn't fit the album at all.
your point about the subject matter is valid though

The more I listen to it two things become more and more apparent.One,eminem is completely on top of his game,his flow,voice,lyrics everything is top notch,I have high hopes for recovery.An the second this beat is fucking horrible,that snare is so cheap sounding and so irritating.Ugh.Every single beat on relapse was better then this.

hm, wrong. But thanks for trying.

What was wrong? Seems on point to me
he's just trying to discredit the opinion.

It's all good.  There's no right or wrong opinion on it.  In fact, Eminem obviously agreed more with you, or he wouldn't have kept those songs on the album. lol  I don't really think those songs are bad either.  Just a little light for the rest of the album.  But regardless, that's all just my opinion.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #167 on: May 01, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
The song is alright, I think it'll do well. The drums are very similar to the ones in that T.I.\Em collabo "Touchdown".

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
This track was made for to be played a fitness gym chains, nothing more nothing less

Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »
Apparently Havocs got a beat on the album.

I love the verses but the chorus is just cheesy to me.

Havoc rarely disappoints, one of the real underrated producers in hip hop. i agree to an extent that the chorus is kinda cheesy, but i think it almost fits into the radio-friendly side, but then lyrically its one of his strongest singles for years...almost caters to both markets

Word Havoc makes some of the illest beats in the game, if we cant get an Em and Alchemist track, this is the next best thing! Shits gonna be grimey as fuck

rick1

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
This is better than the entire Relapse album combined. You can hear that it benefit's Eminem to work with new producers. The beats on Relapse was mediocre and bland, and somewhat uninspiring. However, I think Recovery will be very good

If the beats on relapse were mediocre and bland then that makes this beat the equivalent of someone farting for a bassline and another person hitting a stick on a can every few seconds.

And this song is nowhere near Deja vu.This song isnt even as good as beautiful or hello for that matter.

This song worse than most songs on Relapse, After a couple of listenings, it has grown on me, but the production is awful. Also, on the second verse, itīs annoying to me that he seems to have payed to much attention to all the ones that whine and moan about "the accent"  that he used frequently on Relapse (actually I love that album, probably his best as a full lenght). Still , I think recovery will be a great album, remember this is just the first single!

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
hmmm yeah good to see Em rapping without a accent.. beat is on par with whats out today which i dont like too too much and its true hip hop is positive which is good but at the same time its corny as fuck the way there doing it.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
I get a good feeling about this album. Seems like Eminem is going the "8-Mile" soundtrack route and trying something different.

Gfunk

• 'G'
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »
I loved relapse, the beats on it were  :o :o :o , and eminem ripped some tracks up like Insane , Deja Vu, Underground and Beautifull.

This single is meh. The beat is lackluster and lacks any kind of energy, but eminem does rap on point as usual showing off his mad skillz
Code: [Select]
http://www.last.fm/user/Gfunk-

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2010, 04:55:05 PM »
I want to hear his recording session that produced Beautiful.  I'm sure they're depressign and most of the production is by him but I bet it's really dope.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

dameons

« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2010, 08:18:30 PM »
say that again  ????

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2010, 01:13:07 AM »

And this song is nowhere near Deja vu.This song isnt even as good as beautiful or hello for that matter.

This song worse than most songs on Relapse, After a couple of listenings, it has grown on me, but the production is awful. Also, on the second verse, itīs annoying to me that he seems to have payed to much attention to all the ones that whine and moan about "the accent"  that he used frequently on Relapse (actually I love that album, probably his best as a full lenght). Still , I think recovery will be a great album, remember this is just the first single!
that's the first time i've read someone stating that.
nothing wrong though

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2010, 05:29:39 PM »
yeah i like a few songs off relapse over this
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2010, 02:14:01 AM »

blasphemy lol

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

RedMagic213

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2010, 05:06:12 AM »
great track !!! Love it, Eminiem really been the best recently. Im not an Eminem fans, thiought Relapse sucked, but his recent features..well he just destroyed everyone in his path..

Forever
Drop The World
and that freestyle that I cant remember the name of