Author Topic: "Nas And Damian Marley - Distant Relatives" Discussion Thread  (Read 3260 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: "Nas And Damian Marley - Distant Relatives" Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
I bought the album first day it came out.  The last time I bought a new release and kept it in my regular rotation/play list were Nas' and Marley's previous solo albums.   

It was kind of odd, because I didn't go to Best Buy but went to one of the few record stores left to buy the album.  This store is still denying that the digital revolution ever happened and selling cd's at $17.00, lol.  At the store there was some talk, conversation, interaction, about the album, the clerk was excited because Lil Wayne was on a track, lol... But it was nice I guess to get the old feeling of buying an album, and hearing people talk about it and be excited about the release of an album. 

Album comes with nice artwork, some photos and history from Africa, an a double-sided poster of Nas and Marley.  Here is my review after just a couple days of bumping it in my ride.

1.  "As We Enter" 7 out of 10 -  Song is growing on me a little bit, sounds nice in the car on a good system.

2.  "Tribal War" 7.5 out of 10-  Drums make this song, Not impressed with K'Naan's contributions to this album, just because he's from Africa doesn't mean he's suddenly the best rapper to appear on this African pride track, from my experiences with Somalians they are never big African pride people

3.  "Strong Will Continue"  10 out of 10- Song of the Year, should of been the lead single.  I think I liked it more before Nas' changed his verse to diss Kelis

4-7-haven't listened to enough yet

8.  "Promise Land"  9.5 out of 10-  This song bumps!  Great track all around. 

9.  "In His Own Words" -haven't listen to enough yet

10.  "Nah Mean" - 9.5 out of 10-  BANGER!!!   

11.   "Patience"-  9 out of 10-  Beautiful track, on this one they get some help from some West African musicians

12.  "My Generation"-  7.5 out of 10-  I guess it's okay, Lil Wayne comes alright on this track but since he's the leader of the generation that fucked up hip-hop it's somewhat hard for me to listen to him

13.  "Africa Must Wake Up"-  8 out of 10-  Nice smooth track, can't really bump in your ride so well, maybe better to listen to on a slow morning
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Blood$

« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2010, 03:18:44 PM »
I agree with Lunatic's review pretty much

pissed I'm broke at the moment and can't cop this yet, also still need to buy Kurupt, B.o.B, and 8Ball & MJG's albums  :-X

J.E.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
I really love this album. It's also great because couple of my friends are more reggae fans than hip hop fans. I guarantee I'm gonna be bumpin this album in the whip this summer a lot.

jeanmiche777

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2010, 04:34:02 PM »
1. As We Enter 6/10
   To be honest, I really don't understand why this song is the single. I think the instrumental is a little bit too repetitive, and the chorus messy and noisy. I like the way Nas and Damian exchange their verses.

2. Tribal War 7/10
   Very nice instrumental, with nice percussions and synths. I especially like the chorus. I like the way Nas flows in this. Damian fits very well there too. Good track, it gives you the vibe of the album.

3. Strong Will Continue  5.5/10
    I know people like that track a lot, but the more I listen to it, the less I like it. It's a little bit all over the place. I never really like electric guitar in hip hop type of tracks. The diss against Kelis at the end is completely out of topic. Why would you put that on this album? It's a shame, because it's my favorite part of the instrumental and Nas sounds good with a nice flow there. In fact, I think it's his best part on all the album flow/voice wise.

4. Leaders  7.5/10
   Smooth chilling joint, but I think the topic dosen't really fit with the vibe of the instrumental. I love Damian part. I like the bass on that one too. Great joint.

5. Friends   8/10
   Very nice sample at the start. very nice instrumental,A lot of things is going on if you listen well. I like it a lot. Damian is on the smooth tip on that one. One of the highlights of the album.

6. Count your blessings   8/10
   Jazzy summer tune. I tought to myself, hmmm I don't think Nas will fit well on that type of instrumental. Well, there's a switch when he starts rapping. Once again, they chose to use electric guitar, I don't really like that. I think the track has potential, you can tell Nas and Damian chemistry on that one.  

7. Dispear   3/10
   The only track I want to skip when I listen to the album. I hate the instrumental, the piano is annoying and not melodic at all. The snareis noisy and annoying as well. Nas and Damian sounds bad on that instumental, boring track. It doesn't even fit the album vibe. I have no idea why they put it on here. There is some switches on the instrumental that gives an orchestra feel, whichi is nice, but that's all.

8. Land Of Promise   7.5/10
   Reggaeish track, nice bass. Very nice instrumental, good Damian performance. I think that Nas sounds a little out of place tough on tracks like that one. I love the way the beat switch in his part

9. In His Own Words   9/10
   Probably my second favorite track. Reminds me of Pimpa's paradise, from Welcome to Jamrock. Very nice guitar, the beat is ridiculous. Chorus is catchy and very nice. I like the way the beat switch and Nas starts rapping, it gives the track energy. Timeless song in my opinion. Nice message and lyrics.

10. Nah Mean   8.5/10
   Dammmmmnnn, Damian on the hip hop tip! Old school drums with a nice and original sample. Well it sounds like a sample. Very nice loop. Nice verse from Nas, good chemistry between the two.

11. Patience   4/10
   Hmmm, probably the only track that sounds a little bit amateur and not worked a lot. The voice sample is really nice, but the little repetitive sounds that starts at 0:16 is on some Fruity Loops shit. Annoying simple drum pattern. The track had potential, but it dosen't work for me...

12. My Generation   9.5/10
   Biiiiiiiig track. I can see it blowing up. This should've been the lead single. Chorus is catchy nice, very original production, with nice florishes and and drum pattern. I love the lyrics on that one. Nas is showing you how to flow on that one. I don't mind Lil Wayne. The track sound sooooo big, track of the year for me. The highlight of the album, no doubt.

13.  Africa Must Wake Up   9/10
   Another nice track, perfect way to close the album. Chorus is damn nice, the strings are smooth. Very very good beat with subtle guitars and florishes. Damian is really a good producer, he shows it here. The drum and bass pattern is very moving yet catchy. Love it. Nas comes a little bit weak on that one I think. I hate when he's rapping ''loud''. I don't know, seems like he's forcing his voice. Very good track, anyway.

Total : 7,1/10

Very good album, the highlights are incredible. Production is very very good. A breath of fresh air. Good chemistry between Damian and Nas. I think they tried too hard to make some tracks innovative production wise. I got to say that Nas is a little bit boring on that album, he dosen't have one verse that make you want to rewind the CD. Go cop it, just for the production!

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2010, 08:03:08 AM »
The first album since the Freeway/Jake One LP that I can put on and play all the way through again and again and never skip a track. Thats the sign of a good album for me.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2010, 11:39:48 PM »
I generally don't like rasta rap, so I wasn't looking forward to this, but this is great stuff. Nas comes correct. So does Marley. Beats are on point. Everything oozes of class. No cheap ass Fruity Loops beats here.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2010, 02:32:03 AM »
How great is this record?

In my honest opinion, this is a fantastic record. It's got great instrumentals, a coherent sound all the way through and Nas is on point, Marley is on point and the few guests are on point with the lyrics on all tracks.

But that's pretty much all "technical". What makes this album a home run for me is the overall mood and theme it conveys. It manages to talk about real issues that trouble the world as well as take joy of both the good things we have now and - especially - of what people can achieve in the future, and how all mankind is tied together through Africa. It doesn't come off as either preachy or utopistic - it just comes off right.

It's got tight raps, it's got dope beats and it's got lyrics that actually say something, all coming together to form a coherent whole. Without a doubt this is not only one of the best Hip-Hop records to come out this year, it's one of the best record period.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:34:00 AM by T-Dogg »

Lunatic

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:28 AM »

In my honest opinion, this is a fantastic record. It's got great instrumentals, a coherent sound all the way through and Nas is on point, Marley is on point and the few guests are on point with the lyrics on all tracks.

But that's pretty much all "technical". What makes this album a home run for me is the overall mood and theme it conveys. It manages to talk about real issues that trouble the world as well as take joy of both the good things we have now and - especially - of what people can achieve in the future, and how all mankind is tied together through Africa. It doesn't come off as either preachy or utopistic - it just comes off right.

It's got tight raps, it's got dope beats and it's got lyrics that actually say something, all coming together to form a coherent whole. Without a doubt this is not only one of the best Hip-Hop records to come out this year, it's one of the best record period.
+1

EXACTLY my thoughts
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »

Well put, my friend.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2010, 07:35:52 AM »
I've listened to it 4 or 5 times now and I gotta say, it's a pretty bad ass album. 
If he didn't already have it before, he now has the greatest discography (by a rapper) ever.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2010, 09:11:47 AM »
I've listened to it 4 or 5 times now and I gotta say, it's a pretty bad ass album. 
If he didn't already have it before, he now has the greatest discography (by a rapper) ever.
sell. Nas has several weak spots in his discography

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »

Weakest might be a 7/10 and there are some excellent albums in there.  Not bad for pumping out 11 albums.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2010, 09:53:31 AM »

Weakest might be a 7/10 and there are some excellent albums in there.  Not bad for pumping out 11 albums.

Nastradamus and I Am are well below 7/10. Not bad for sure, but not close to the greatest discography.

Samcro10

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »
6/10
Hip Hop T Shirts @ http://WildcatTShirts.com

the ghost

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
I really like the album.  And I have to agree that Nas's final verse on Strong will continue, while fire, takes away from the best track on the album.  Overall though I am quite pleased.