Author Topic: "Nas And Damian Marley - Distant Relatives" Discussion Thread  (Read 3196 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: "Nas And Damian Marley - Distant Relatives" Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2010, 12:26:34 AM »
While waiting for Jome to split the thread.....

seems like people are sleeping on Talib Kweli. Check out his shit now. His discography is underrated and he doesn't have a weak spot anywhere.

More rappers with more solid discographies than Nas....Like another dude said, Scarface. J Live. Aceyalone. Ghostface Killah. Jeru the Damaja. Guru. Pharoahe Monche (only two solo though). Chuck D. Gift of Gab. I haven't even gotten into groups yet.

Nas is one of the greats no doubt, but stop overrating his discography like he hasn't made his equal share of pop trash. Like I said in that other thread, he's at the level of a Jay-Z when it comes to consistency.

And Nas' attempts at "pop" hits have done more bad then good for him as well. Solid catalog of music but he sounds completely out of his lane alot of times when attempting cross over hits. Even his Firm persona and mafioso raps came off forced to me. It Was Written not so much. Granted though Nas does this in smaller doses on his albums now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:32:27 AM by D~Nice »

Jaydc

« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2010, 12:28:20 AM »
Electric circus was fucking garbage.And I think your all of 5 people in the world who would say talib and gza have better discographies then nas.

i own all of commons albums save for umc and electric circus because they were trash.And I own all gzas albums and other then liquid swords all his albums are good.I mean what ado you want me to like to appease your fucked up taste and say all his albums are classic LOL.Beneath the surface and pro tools are solid albums but nothing special.Talk about over rating shit.And black star is a duo album not a solo album.And train of thought is good but no classic.Talk about over rating shit again.

Come on dude now your just being fucking ridiculous youir listing guys with two albums over nas,you have just completely made your opinion on his discography irrelvant.your placing your own tastes over shit.

You have the most fucked up opinion Ive ever seen,I cant even describe other then on some radiotube shock post shit.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:30:43 AM by Jaydc didnt do it,that bitch is lying. »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2010, 12:58:15 AM »
Electric circus was fucking garbage.
you seem to be the only one who thinks so.

And I think your all of 5 people in the world who would say talib and gza have better discographies then nas.

Not really, I think most people that are actually fans of both artists would have to agree based on all the times Nas has tried to sellout and make pop records.

i own all of commons albums save for umc and electric circus because they were trash.

Funny, I don't own Nastradamus or I Am because they were trash

I own all gzas albums and other then liquid swords all his albums are good.

So one classic and all the rest are good albums? That's better than Nas's track record. Nastradamus and I Am aren't good albums. And you seem to be forgetting that Nas has only one classic as well.

And black star is a duo album not a solo album.And train of thought is good but no classic.Talk about over rating shit again.

Okay, even if we ignore Black Star, Talib still has 6 great albums and no weak ones, much more consistent than Nas.

Come on dude now your just being fucking ridiculous youir listing guys with two albums over nas,you have just completely made your opinion on his discography irrelvant.your placing your own tastes over shit.

Nas is one of my favorite rappers. He's in my top 10. But that doesn't take away from the fact that he is inconsistent and has made bad albums before. You want to ignore all the mediocre records that he has made like they never happened. And was I not the one who said that Pharoahe Monch has two solos, how does that make my opinion irrelevant? He also has all the shit with Organized Konfusion.

And for the record, never heard anyone until now criticize my music tastes, its always people praising it.

Jaydc

« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2010, 01:34:31 AM »
Im the only one who thinks electric circus is trash?REALLY?DID YOU REALLY JUST TYPE THAT?SMH.

Their is a HUGE difference between someone having a more consistent discography over it being better.Hell 3 6 mafia are consistent are you going to rate them higher then nas too?Just because its consitent doesnt elevate it over someone elses.Your really going to sit there and tell me you put those artists discography in a higher rank?Come on dude,its one thing to say they have a more consistent discography.I mean you can say pharoahe and talib have more consistent ones thats fine I wont argue.But niether have had the impact of nas albums.illmatic alone puts his discography over theirs.And then add in lost tapes,stillmatic,it was written etc.Its not even close,compare the highs stop worryng so much about the lows.if pharaohe monch and jeru had 11 albums they would ahve some lows.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:40:26 AM by Jaydc didnt do it,that bitch is lying. »

sofdark

« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2010, 02:28:10 AM »
count your blessing is my track. shit is what i call chill song, something i play when i just wanna feel the breeze and cruise around with a girl.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »
It's an interesting debate of perspective.

In a matter of consistency I think Common has it over Nas.

In a matter of having a classic album in their catalogue that over shadows their career failures and duds Nas has it over Common. 

But like I said I'm a Nas stan and boy has done little wrong.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2010, 08:31:57 AM »
bottomline whos the better lyricist at their best?

It's an interesting debate of perspective.

In a matter of consistency I think Common has it over Nas.

In a matter of having a classic album in their catalogue that over shadows their career failures and duds Nas has it over Common. 

But like I said I'm a Nas stan and boy has done little wrong.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Jaydc

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »
Like I said their is a huge difference between someone being consistent and someone being better,or their catalogues.You can look at nass lows and say ok those artists dont have a low like that,but you look at nass highs and they dont have a high like that.If you got stuck on some island and you only could take one artists discography to listen to nas or pharoahe monch your telling me your going to take monchs?Or jerus?OR any of those other people you listed?I mean scarface gives him a run for his money but come on man be serious.I wouldnt even take  peoples whole discographys over illmatic alone.And for the record nas has two classics,illmatic and stillmatic.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:12:40 PM by Jaydc didnt do it,that bitch is lying. »

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
Like I said it's an interesting debate.  One that personal liking heavily influences. 

As a long time Nas fan I'd side with him but I've been bumping more Common than Nas in the past year so time will tell. 
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
"Friends" is now a banger for me.  It has grown on me.  And "In His Own" words is another track that's growing on me.  "Count Your Blessing" is another track I've been playing more and more, Marley really relates to the listener on that one.

And as for the Nas debate, Common doesn't even belong in the same breath.  The only living rapper who's name is allowed to be mentioned in such a debate is Eminem.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:56:27 PM by Infinite... Be and It Is »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Elano

« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2010, 11:37:05 PM »
word ^

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »
Im the only one who thinks electric circus is trash?REALLY?DID YOU REALLY JUST TYPE THAT?SMH.

Their is a HUGE difference between someone having a more consistent discography over it being better.Hell 3 6 mafia are consistent are you going to rate them higher then nas too?Just because its consitent doesnt elevate it over someone elses.Your really going to sit there and tell me you put those artists discography in a higher rank?Come on dude,its one thing to say they have a more consistent discography.I mean you can say pharoahe and talib have more consistent ones thats fine I wont argue.But niether have had the impact of nas albums.illmatic alone puts his discography over theirs.And then add in lost tapes,stillmatic,it was written etc.Its not even close,compare the highs stop worryng so much about the lows.if pharaohe monch and jeru had 11 albums they would ahve some lows.

The weak albums kinda cancel out the classics, don't you think? You can't just ignore all the weak shit Nas has dropped over the years. When Nas is at his best as a lyricist, he's better than Common or Talib. But never stumbling with your music counts for something. When you have you have made 6 great albums in a row, I think it is a more solid discography than someone who has a couple classics and a couple weak albums. And on an added note, I don't think number of albums is that relevant since most of Nas's missteps were pretty early on in his career. Hell, if you just took his first 4 albums he would have a worse discography than he has now. There's a reason a rapper like Jay-Z could diss his career at that point in time.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #132 on: May 28, 2010, 11:32:43 AM »
And for the record nas has two classics,illmatic and stillmatic.

Weren't you one of the ones saying Stillmatic wasn't a classic when I made a thread comparing Nas's best albums to 2Pac's?

Jaydc

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
And for the record nas has two classics,illmatic and stillmatic.

Weren't you one of the ones saying Stillmatic wasn't a classic when I made a thread comparing Nas's best albums to 2Pac's?

I dont believe so.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2010, 03:56:03 PM »
I dunno..  In terms of sports, you always want a consistent player over one who can be the greatest player one night than the worst the next (Kovalev?).  But in music, you only keep the good songs anyways, so of course I'll choose a discography with a few of the best songs ever, over one with alot of "above average" songs.. 

But with that being said, I keep hella more tracks off Nas albums than I do Commons, so both of my points side with Queens.