Author Topic: Nas discography discussion  (Read 480 times)

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
Re: Nas discography discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:23:31 AM »
I was the first person in line when It came to hating on I Am...But a lot has changed since those days because I took the time to peep the album the way how Nas intended it to be heard in the first place (as a double disc) and it was quite a solid effort, much better than the released version.On top of that, I recently came across some perfectly executed blends (and I usually hate blends) of the I Am accapelas (from the retail version of the album) mixed with some 45 King and Godfather Don instrumentals.The songs have a completely different vibe and the album flows really well.So yeah, what brings the released version of I Am down are half the beats on there and the fact that it was heavily bootlegged back in the day which prevented it from being released in its true form

wouldnt mind hearing this?  ;)
http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2008/12/nas-i-am-blends-godfather-don-vs-45.html
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 10:57:17 AM »
Word to Eazy E.  

I Am...Nastradamus the double disc album as nas originally intended it to be is dope.  I don't have a problem with either.  I understand for Nas it's a low point as they were actually released but today you can create his original album and it's dope.

Most of The Lost Tapes included track originally meant for the album and people loved it.

There's another dope mash up of Nas's I Am called I Am (GMJ Jazz Remix).

http://rapidshare.com/files/163606302/I_am_-GMJ_Remix.rar

1. NY State of Mind pt. 2 feat. Perquisite and Benjamin Herman
2. Hate Me Now feat. Odetta
3. Favor for a Favor feat. Odetta
4. We Will Survive feat. The Roots
5. Ghetto Prisoners feat. Skipless
6. You Won't See Me Tonight feat. Dela
7. I Wanna Talk To You feat. Odetta
8. Nature's Shine feat. Thomas Sliffing
9. Dr. Knockboots feat. Odetta
10. Life is What You Make it feat. Odetta
11. Big Things feat. The Roots
12. Nas is Like feat. J Rawls
13. Kissing feat. J Dilla
14. Money is my Bitch feat. Perquisite and Benjamin Herman
15. Undying Love feat. Arts the Beatdoctor

Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
Re: "Nas And Damian Marley - Distant Relatives" Discussion Thread
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
This is whack....  Some of the songs are way too long.  I thought one song was the last on the album cuz it was so long and I still had like 4 joints to go after it.

Knaan was the standout on all the tracks he was on.

Album did start out strong, about just after the half way mark I felt like fast forwarding tracks.

Some god-aweful hooks on here, even for Reggae.

Lil Wayne feature was funny, I tryed to find a reason but I couldn't hate on him, held it down on a type of beat I've never seen him do before...

Nas lyrics were dope, flow was str8, should release the pellas and have fans make their own remix projects...

Beats were average, nothing pushing the limits of a true Hip-Hop/Reggae fusion though..

Felt like Damian was just adding background vocals for Nas, didn't really stand out to me.. (Note: I don't listen to Reggae)

I do like the concept and ideas on this album, just weren't able to pull it off imo, to make it above standards.

I won't be listening to this after a week.

dude you are on point here. a lot of ppl who dont listen to reggae (but like to pretend that they have knowledge) are saying this album is great and i think its based on pure novelty of nas doing a record with a reggae artist. this album is very poor and i know in a month or two no-one is going to care. this happens with every nas album, hell even on 'untitled' i was super hyped for like a week and then i never listened to it again.

so now we've come to the root of your thoughts, you think Nas is wack, so why are you wasting your time listening to this album to begin with?

why would i be super hyped for an album from someone i think is wack? i never said that. infact if u read what i said you would see that i like some of nas albums, im just able to jump off his dick for a second and admit half his albums suck.

obviously you need radio friendly song on an album to keep your attention

sad
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »
I was the first person in line when It came to hating on I Am...But a lot has changed since those days because I took the time to peep the album the way how Nas intended it to be heard in the first place (as a double disc) and it was quite a solid effort, much better than the released version.On top of that, I recently came across some perfectly executed blends (and I usually hate blends) of the I Am accapelas (from the retail version of the album) mixed with some 45 King and Godfather Don instrumentals.The songs have a completely different vibe and the album flows really well.So yeah, what brings the released version of I Am down are half the beats on there and the fact that it was heavily bootlegged back in the day which prevented it from being released in its true form

Is this supposed to be an excuse for the way the album came out? Just because a producer remixed the album, doesn't change the fact the album Nas put out was wack because you can do that for any album. And I'm not sure changing the beats make that big a difference when some of the song concepts were wack to begin with. It could only change Dr. Knockboot into a slightly less wack song.

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »

Is this supposed to be an excuse for the way the album came out? Just because a producer remixed the album, doesn't change the fact the album Nas put out was wack because you can do that for any album. And I'm not sure changing the beats make that big a difference when some of the song concepts were wack to begin with. It could only change Dr. Knockboot into a slightly less wack song.
I'm not excusing anything - I haven't stated anywhere that the album isn't lackluster and like I said my biggest problem with it were the beats and I don't understand what's the big deal with Knockboot and it's concept.If you have an open mind and check the blends I posted I think you could enjoy at least some of them
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:54 PM »
This is whack....  Some of the songs are way too long.  I thought one song was the last on the album cuz it was so long and I still had like 4 joints to go after it.

Album did start out strong, about just after the half way mark I felt like fast forwarding tracks.

Lil Wayne feature was funny, I tryed to find a reason but I couldn't hate on him, held it down on a type of beat I've never seen him do before...

Nas lyrics were dope, flow was str8, should release the pellas and have fans make their own remix projects...

Beats were average, nothing pushing the limits of a true Hip-Hop/Reggae fusion though..

Felt like Damian was just adding background vocals for Nas, didn't really stand out to me.. (Note: I don't listen to Reggae)

I do like the concept and ideas on this album, just weren't able to pull it off imo, to make it above standards.

dude you are on point here. a lot of ppl who dont listen to reggae (but like to pretend that they have knowledge) are saying this album is great and i think its based on pure novelty of nas doing a record with a reggae artist. this album is very poor and i know in a month or two no-one is going to care. this happens with every nas album, hell even on 'untitled' i was super hyped for like a week and then i never listened to it again.

so now we've come to the root of your thoughts, you think Nas is wack, so why are you wasting your time listening to this album to begin with?

why would i be super hyped for an album from someone i think is wack? i never said that. infact if u read what i said you would see that i like some of nas albums, im just able to jump off his dick for a second and admit half his albums suck.

sad

see now youre just saying words. this post makes no sense at all. "obviously" i need a radio friendly song like 'hero' to enjoy an album.... oh wait....

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »

wouldnt mind hearing this?  ;)
http://philaflava.blogspot.com/2008/12/nas-i-am-blends-godfather-don-vs-45.html

this is great, thanks dude! makes me even more sad that he cant choose beats, nas is better on that minimal rough shit

Jimmy H.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 02:07:43 PM »
I think Nas has one of the best discographies of any hip-hop artist. He kind of had that "first album is a classic" curse but he managed to shake it and stay relevant and that's not an easy thing to do. Nastradamous was clearly not a great album but he did put out about seven months after releasing "I Am". I don't get the hate for "I Am". It's not as good as Illmatic or Stillmatic but it's a personal favorite of mine. Catatlog-wise, there is only a handful of people who could give Nas a run for his money.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 02:29:53 PM »
I think Nas has one of the best discographies of any hip-hop artist. He kind of had that "first album is a classic" curse but he managed to shake it and stay relevant and that's not an easy thing to do. Nastradamous was clearly not a great album but he did put out about seven months after releasing "I Am". I don't get the hate for "I Am". It's not as good as Illmatic or Stillmatic but it's a personal favorite of mine. Catatlog-wise, there is only a handful of people who could give Nas a run for his money.

My problem with I Am is that it contains some of the worst songs Nas has made. The only difference between it and Nastradamus are the contributions Primo made. I think people overrate the album solely based off of Nas is Like, and to a lesser extent NY State of Mind part 2, while ignoring the horrible joints on there.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »

sad

see now youre just saying words. this post makes no sense at all. "obviously" i need a radio friendly song like 'hero' to enjoy an album.... oh wait....

you get hyped for Nas albums because you think it's the cool thing to do, but your brain is clearly catered to that of rap albums made by the likes of Baby and Wacka Flocka, so when you finally hear the Nas album you are disappointed 
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Jimmy H.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »
My problem with I Am is that it contains some of the worst songs Nas has made. The only difference between it and Nastradamus are the contributions Primo made. I think people overrate the album solely based off of Nas is Like, and to a lesser extent NY State of Mind part 2, while ignoring the horrible joints on there.
Which songs are you refeering to? To my recollection, K-I-S-S-I-N-G was the only weak song on there.

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »
I Am is overrated (just because it got 4.5 in the Source, everyone jumps on the bandwagoon). Great album, no doubt, but not even close to his best work. Obviously, Illmatic is the best Nas album. It Was Written (2nd). Street's Disciple (most underrated in his catalogue). Untitled/Nigger Album is up there, too. Lost Tapes, can't forget that jewel..

Jaydc

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 06:44:57 PM »
I dont understand the hate I am gets at all from certain people.I liked almost all the tracks.Undying love is ana amazing story teller track.The only songs I skip are kissing and dr.knockboots.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 12:18:29 AM »
I Am is overrated (just because it got 4.5 in the Source, everyone jumps on the bandwagoon). Great album, no doubt, but not even close to his best work. Obviously, Illmatic is the best Nas album. It Was Written (2nd). Street's Disciple (most underrated in his catalogue). Untitled/Nigger Album is up there, too. Lost Tapes, can't forget that jewel..
Bandwagon? It's 2010. If Source ratings had any validity, I'd be calling Lil Kim's "Naked Truth" a classic since it got five mics. I couldn't tell you what 98% of albums get for mic ratings from that magazine. I know a few that got five and a bunch that should have that didn't but for the most part unless there is a lot of controversy like "2001" and "Doggystyle" getting robbed of their rightful credit or Benzino's Made Men album surprisingly getting 4 and 1/2 mics, most people don't much remeber them. As I stated, I don't think it's one of his best but it is one of my favorites and Stillmatic is better than It Was Written.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 12:38:19 AM »
Like I said before in the perspective of hip-hop Nas has not released one bad album

In the perspective of Nas's catalogue he has.

Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks