Author Topic: "I don't sell a lot of records cause people don't like me" Kurupt  (Read 1635 times)

KURUPTION-81

Is it as simple as that for why Kurupt doesnt sell ?

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: "I don't sell a lot of records cause people don't like me" Kurupt
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:36:24 AM »
Part of Kurupts appeal to his biggest fans is that he's never tried to play the "superstar" or "Hollywood" role as Suge described it back in the day.  So this helps him relate to his fans, but at the same time his image has never been one that had a lot of mainstream appeal.  Even when Dogg Food was selling multi-platinum they had to lean alot on Snoop's superstar image to recieve the exposure they had at the time. 

Kurupt if you watch him perform he doesn't take the lead as well as rappers like Snoop or Ice Cube, he's more like a brother from around the way, just one of the homies, he's never been a dude at the center of everyone's attention.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

EFFeX

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:38:48 AM »
I don't think that people don't like Kurupt, I just think it's a lack of major promotion. Not to mention the fact that the industry is overrun by pop-oriented commercial artists.

Kurupt is a great rapper (in my opinion), but his style is so different and raw compared to these mainstream artists.

J-FUNKTION

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 08:18:06 AM »
dont like him, in what sense? as a person? who knows..he could be the coolest cat on earth....

but if its, dont like him cause of his music..then yeah, thats probably it...its been pure ass for years..

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:46:44 AM »
I don't think that people don't like Kurupt, I just think it's a lack of major promotion. Not to mention the fact that the industry is overrun by pop-oriented commercial artists.

Kurupt is a great rapper (in my opinion), but his style is so different and raw compared to these mainstream artists.

Eh, what about I'm Burnt or let's not forget the terrible "It's Over" from back in the days. So if he could, Kurupt would be on of those "mainstream, pop-oriented commercial" artist as you've labeled it. The difference between them and Kurupt is that they were able to crossover while Kurupt failed. It has nothing to do with his "raw" style.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:54:59 AM »

Eh, what about I'm Burnt or let's not forget the terrible "It's Over" from back in the days. So if he could, Kurupt would be on of those "mainstream, pop-oriented commercial" artist as you've labeled it. The difference between them and Kurupt is that they were able to crossover while Kurupt failed. It has nothing to do with his "raw" style.

true shit all the way but i know a gang of bitches that loved that track.  shit my girl cousin from Trenton was on that shit hard and actually brought her 1st "gangsta rap" album just bcuz of that song.  mind u she was 16/17 at the time. 

kurupt should'nt try 2 hard 2 be on that "atomic mc" delivery he be on.  sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  i actually think Kurupt sounded fresher than he's ever been in a while when BlaQout dropped.  now if he could apply that same style with his "raw" lyrics and make sense then I think Kurupt would have a more wider appeal.  given the oppurtunity to get the banginest beats and some spotlight, maybe a Nip Hussle or JadaKiss feature with a Will.I.Am feature, beat, and hook.  I could see Kurupt making big noise (atleast 4 a second anyways) if that were to rock.  as long as it ain't an anything as track and has some support behind it (106th n park and radio play outside of just the westcoast 4 starters).

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
I always believed that this song could be big in mainstream if pushed

just lovin the vibe of it...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
I know a lot of money was spent promotin the Kuruption album.  Anyone who remembers that time when it came out remembers that long ass commercial that was corny as hell with a news reporter saying "this week in Kurupt news" and had Kurupt running from gunfire or something, that played every commercial break on BETrapcity for around a whole month st8 at the time of the album release.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
I don't think it's because people "don't like" him.  Other people have been correct about him not receiving much promotion, though realistically he doesn't really have that star attraction that would warrant it.

I always like Kurupt, but I stopped following him because he's just so inconsistent, particularly after leaving Death Row.  I bought Kuruption the day it came out, and while I was bumping "We Can Freak It" for days, the rest of the album was just mediocre.  Then came his horrible Xxplosive verse, but then Tha Streetz Iz a Mutha was just amazing, then after that it got mediocre again, then I stopped peeping him.  And I used to buy every CD he was on, even if it was only one song or whatever (like that Escape from Death Row compilation that was mostly trash after the first few tracks).

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »
Kurupt has always been appealing to music fans. Even when he was putting out pure garbage people still gave him his respect as a lyricist. But to most people this is his first album since 2001. Its not impossible to keep Hip-Hop fans interested during a 9 year hiatus.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Jangalang

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »
well we all know red rum dont like him

Zeus

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 01:34:46 PM »
Problem is hes sucked for a long time, drugs have taken their toll on him. He sold plenty of records when he was actually dope, so its a bullshit excuse on his part. Dogg Food went triple plat and his first 2 solos went Gold.
Best west coast board on the net, sign up

http://WWW.BASEMENT24.PROBOARDS.COM/

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »
drugs have taken their toll on him

Truth.

Drug madness starts at 3:20 lol

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i3kU2Nc7nAg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i3kU2Nc7nAg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »
he's just not mainstream, that's all.

his music isn't radio friendly, isn't down with the times & simply doesn't connect with today's teens who listen to the radio & buy albums.

honestly, thinking about it, if it wasn't for this website i would have never known he even made "Streetlights", same goes for "Blaqout".

no promotion.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 01:55:25 PM »
I know a lot of people who absolutetly loved Kurupt. I think if you look back from Up In Smoke Tour days to even on Death Row, he had a huge fan base of people who would have said he was one of their favorite rappers.

I think it's more about the way his shit has been put out through the years. I look at everything he's put out since "Space Boogie" and I think there's been a lot of confusion amongst consumers with his solo projects and what not. He's put out compilations like Originals and the J. Wells thing, he's done a bunch of collabo albums, and there's been a fake early "Against The Grain" legal bootleg, the Death Row one Koch did, and the same album re-released with a few changes as "Down and Dirty". Then there's the Kurupt solo he put out as "Young Gotti". More so, I think it's about selling up the big project you're working on. Even when Daz was dropping independent solos, fans always knew "So So Gangsta" was the one he was working on. I think you got to create that awareness early on.

I know me personally, I've bought every album Kurupt has put out except that stupid-ass Wideawake project. Has Kurupt ever commented on that release because I can't imagine that helped him out much.