Author Topic: "I don't sell a lot of records cause people don't like me" Kurupt  (Read 1639 times)

kuruptDPG

Re: "I don't sell a lot of records cause people don't like me" Kurupt
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
its all about promotion,always will be

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
Even when Dogg Food was selling multi-platinum they had to lean alot on Snoop's superstar image to recieve the exposure they had at the time. 

Yeah, and because everyone had just bought the Chronic and Doggystyle, everyone was ready to buy whatever the fuck else was put out by Death Row, I know I was, because those were two ridiculously dope albums. I think it had loads of pre-orders just from the hype

Also, what was funny was a lot of people didn't know who the Dogg Pound were meant to be until that album dropped, because up until around then, it wasn't really clear that it was meant to be just Daz and Kurupt.
Lots of people thought it was kinda like Snoop and his group, so like Snoop as the main act on the record and RBX, Daz, Rage, Kurupt, Nate, Dre, and everyone all on it (which is kinda like all 3, Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food are all kinda like group efforts), so a lot of people didn't know they were buying a Kurupt and Daz album

Also most people couldn't tell which one was Daz and which one was Kurupt as it wasn't clear from the records and there was no internet to look shit up on

Jimmy H.

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
Yup. Dogg Pound in the 90's was like G-Unit when 50 blew up. Snoop had established it as a brand name. I think Kurupt was way more popular than he gets credit for though.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Even when Dogg Food was selling multi-platinum they had to lean alot on Snoop's superstar image to recieve the exposure they had at the time. 

Yeah, and because everyone had just bought the Chronic and Doggystyle, everyone was ready to buy whatever the fuck else was put out by Death Row, I know I was, because those were two ridiculously dope albums. I think it had loads of pre-orders just from the hype

Also, what was funny was a lot of people didn't know who the Dogg Pound were meant to be until that album dropped, because up until around then, it wasn't really clear that it was meant to be just Daz and Kurupt.
Lots of people thought it was kinda like Snoop and his group, so like Snoop as the main act on the record and RBX, Daz, Rage, Kurupt, Nate, Dre, and everyone all on it (which is kinda like all 3, Chronic, Doggystyle, Dogg Food are all kinda like group efforts), so a lot of people didn't know they were buying a Kurupt and Daz album

Also most people couldn't tell which one was Daz and which one was Kurupt as it wasn't clear from the records and there was no internet to look shit up on

i braille you on that cause i remember when the doggy dogg world video came out,some people thought kurupt and daz was actually outkast!!!!!!!!!!!! lol him and daz never really got established as there own group,hell even tho kurupt killed new york new york, the thing you thing about most in the video was snoop kicc'n down buildings yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

ikke

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
I would've baught it but I'm broke as fuck.

Plus I have 700 other cd's to buy that I don't have in my collection yet.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »

his music isn't radio friendly, isn't down with the times & simply doesn't connect with today's teens who listen to the radio & buy albums.

Yes it is (I'm Burnt), yes it is (I'm Burnt), you're only right about the last one. People need to stop acting like their favorite rapper hasn't tried to crossover but failed miserably and ever since that it's all about "fuck the mainstream" attitude from him and their fans. Not directed at you Cham btw.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
He doesn't sell records because a lot of the shit he puts out is WACK

he wasn't complaining about this during his death row days when he was putting out quality

Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Jaydc

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »
LOL,between this and that dubcc video kurupt has turned into a whiny emo bitch.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »
At one time Kurupt was a multi=platinum artist, and at one time you couldn't mention the best emcees of the era, 1995-2002, without saying Kurupt's name. Sadly, it's 2010, and no one is looking for Kurupt anymore. But he had a run that any other artist would kill for. You asked an artist right now, and you tell them in 2 years, you'd be in one of the most critically praised albums of all time, then team up with a great producer who'd you have a multi-platinum album in 5 years, in between you'd been in many soundtracks, and your next three albums over the next 7 years will all go gold, and you'll have a cult following after that, would you pass that career up? There are only so many Snoops and Jay-Zs, and when compared to them, yeah Kurupt is underrated, but overall Kurupt has had a great career and has put out classic music. Dude needs no one to co-sign him as an all time great.

FLIXX

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Gardena 2 Da Fullest!!
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
Kurupt is cool than mutha fucca..When Dre puts an album out LA radio might play the whole thing 2 promote it resulting n a bunch of hit records off the album. Artist r gettin shafted out here!
Flixx

Avalanche

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
Kurupt's problem is that he doesnt know how to appease a broader audience. Why? Because he is lazy and doesnt care anymore. In the brief stint that he spent back on Death Row, there was a short glimpse of the old kurupt where he actually put thought into his lyrics. I honestly dont want to hear kurupt take out a dictionary and list every word that rhymes back to back to baack to back to back. I want to hear  a story that flows like he used to rap back in the Dogg Food days. He is no longer smooth, he is unpolished and has lost his touch.

It also doesnt help that he cant choose production to save his life. Im sorry, BUT streetlights is all over the place. Do you want to make a rap album or a bullshit "FIXXERS ATTEMPT?" I dont know, doesnt seem that he does either. The best tracks are the intro and the pete rock "yessir." The rest seems like it is concept garbage.

He needs to get people around him that will tell him what is good and what is not instead of saying everything is great.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
he is lazy and doesnt care anymore. In the brief stint that he spent back on Death Row, there was a short glimpse of the old kurupt where he actually put thought into his lyrics..

1st part was true the 2nd part was way opposite

AxiTeamDaisy

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 11:18:44 PM »
One word: PROMOTION

Remember when Streez iz a Mutha, and Space Boogie came out? Hella promotion, and most likely they sold well

StrEiht Up Menace

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • i hav a massive dick
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 01:20:06 AM »
I don't think that people don't like Kurupt, I just think it's a lack of major promotion. Not to mention the fact that the industry is overrun by pop-oriented commercial artists.

Kurupt is a great rapper (in my opinion), but his style is so different and raw compared to these mainstream artists.

Eh, what about I'm Burnt or let's not forget the terrible "It's Over" from back in the days. So if he could, Kurupt would be on of those "mainstream, pop-oriented commercial" artist as you've labeled it. The difference between them and Kurupt is that they were able to crossover while Kurupt failed. It has nothing to do with his "raw" style.
hahaha was gonna say the same thing, he has all this mainstream sounding bullshit lateley and he still gets no props.
90% of people I know dont buy cd's anymore anyway and its hard to hit platinum these days anywayz

Jaydc

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »
All I can think of whenever kurupt releases these emo statements lately is....bitch nigga,you more of a bitch then a bitch.