Author Topic: EP/LP discussion  (Read 512 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: EP/LP discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 07:13:47 PM »
who cares whatever it's called.

if a rapper calls it an EP, it's an EP; if he calls it a Street Album, it's a Street Album; if he calls it a Mixtape, it's a Mixtape; if he calls it an Album, it's an Album.

don't tell a man what his work is considered.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Re: "Nas And Damian Marley - Distant Relatives" Discussion Thread
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
I complain everytime Budden releases a song that is only 5 minutes long!

I believe there is a perfect length to a song, whether you are structuring it for radio or not.  There is a certain timeframe in which your brain will be able to focus on any 1 track and enjoy it and leave you wanting to replay it.. Instead of it wearing out on you before the first spin...  Generally 3-4 minutes...

ikke

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »
I thought I cleared this up in the other thread officially.

EP - under 40minutes
LP - over 40 minutes

LP's are albums and since there is a very big difference in an EP and LP, no way should an EP ever be considered an "album" - whether an EP is their debut project or 7th retail charting release, it should NEVER EVER be categorized as an album (LP).
"Illmatic" is under 40 minutes.
So are "Creepin On Ahh Come Up" & "The Sun Rises In The East".

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 12:55:07 AM »
I complain everytime Budden releases a song that is only 5 minutes long!

I believe there is a perfect length to a song, whether you are structuring it for radio or not.  There is a certain timeframe in which your brain will be able to focus on any 1 track and enjoy it and leave you wanting to replay it.. Instead of it wearing out on you before the first spin...  Generally 3-4 minutes...

How can that be true if Too Short can make an 8 minute song of his slow rhyming entirely about screwing hoes and it becomes a classic?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:14 AM »
Enough of this overmodding....

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 01:04:43 AM »

EP - under 40minutes
LP - over 40 minutes

LP's are albums and since there is a very big difference in an EP and LP, no way should an EP ever be considered an "album" - whether an EP is their debut project or 7th retail charting release, it should NEVER EVER be categorized as an album (LP).

so are Kizz My Black Azz (Mc Ren's debut), Kill At Will, Its On Dr. Dre 187um Killa

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 01:07:34 AM »
And Crooked I has released three eps.By your logic westcoastnostra is his debut.And hell,mixtapes are charted as well these days so why not consider those debuts as well right?

I'm pretty sure Westcoastnostra was a mixtape. The only reason Crooked's EPs aren't considered his debut is because neither him nor the fans want to acknowledge them as such (they weren't worthy to be his debut).

I just pointed out the official source, plus albums from the 90s that are EPs. If its takes more than that to convince you, y'all are idiots. I'm out, can't do more than present fact.

doggfather

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 01:11:32 AM »

EP - under 40minutes
LP - over 40 minutes

so wu massacre is an ep?!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

ikke

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:17 AM »

EP - under 40minutes
LP - over 40 minutes

so are Kizz My Black Azz (Mc Ren's debut), Kill At Will, Its On Dr. Dre 187um Killa
Then why aren't "Kill At Will" & "It's On" considered albums?

Seems the "EP" concept doesn't apply when it's a debut.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »
It definitely depends on what the artist does with the music over that time period and whether or not the music itself changes - if it's the same loop there's a higher chance I'll get bored quicker even if the artist is dope.

Take for example, Dalek released a 6 minute track called "Distorted Prose" on the 2004 album Absence.  I can listen to that joint straight through and not wonder where the time went or get bored.  Likewise I can have Jay Electronica Exhibit C on repeat and not get bored.     
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:49 AM »

EP - under 40minutes
LP - over 40 minutes

They aren't? I'm pretty sure they were when they were released.

ikke

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 01:16:28 AM »

EP - under 40minutes
LP - over 40 minutes

They aren't? I'm pretty sure they were when they were released.
Isn't that what this discussion is about?
People not considering those albums.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »
Ep is always short, usually 6 to 7 songs.  As others pointed out below 40 minutes.

LP's are whate people call ablums - usually longer than 40 minutes.

Usually it doesn't matter because they both contain album quality material.  Eps either tend to reflect leftovers, a collection of random songs, or precursor to the album.  
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Jaydc

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 01:19:07 AM »
westcoastanostra was 7 or 8 tracks,all original songs and was available only digital with limited hard copies,the same as pigface and block obama 2.Like cham said,its up the artist themself what is dictated.Rappers release street albums all the time with all original songs but they arent considered their debut albums.Its whatever the aritst presents it as,some guy on a forum isnt going to dictate what is and isnt an album  lol.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 01:19:21 AM »
It definitely depends on what the artist does with the music over that time period and whether or not the music itself changes - if it's the same loop there's a higher chance I'll get bored quicker even if the artist is dope.

Take for example, Dalek released a 6 minute track called "Distorted Prose" on the 2004 album Absence.  I can listen to that joint straight through and not wonder where the time went or get bored.  Likewise I can have Jay Electronica Exhibit C on repeat and not get bored.     

I disagree. Freaky Tales has the same basic loop for 8 minutes and every 4th bar starts with "I met this girl" or something to that effect.