Author Topic: EP/LP discussion  (Read 519 times)

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Re: EP/LP discussion
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 09:20:41 AM »
Westcoasanostra = EP
Creep on ah Come Up = EP

EP = 0-40 min
LP = 40-80 min

Whoever markets their EP as an album (the "artist/label preference" you guys mentioned) are misleading their customers.  Man the fuck up, record 8 more songs and call that bitch an album!

We digress though; these are technical terms, releases are releases.

ikke

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:33 AM »
Westcoasanostra = EP
Creep on ah Come Up = EP

EP = 0-40 min
LP = 40-80 min

Whoever markets their EP as an album (the "artist/label preference" you guys mentioned) are misleading their customers.  Man the fuck up, record 8 more songs and call that bitch an album!

Illmatic is an ep then...
So is Jeru The Damaja's Debut.

Portugoal

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
Westcoasanostra = EP
Creep on ah Come Up = EP

EP = 0-40 min
LP = 40-80 min

They're albums...

Forget about the whole EP/LP thing. That comes from the days from before Philips invented the CD.

EP's and LP's are both albums, but an EP can never be a maxi single.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »
folks yall are confused! i already posted the explanation on the first page. it doesnt go by length or tracks, GENERALLY an EP will be under 40 minutes but there is no rule were anything under 40 minutes is an EP, thats just a rough number that someone threw out there.

EP = Extended Play which is an extended single. it can either be a single to promote and album (but with more tracks than a normal single) or it can be (and usually is) all new material. they are only put in the albums chart for sales purposes, as dude to the higher price they would not be able to compete in the singles chart

i hope this clears it up, this is all knowledge from listening to rock music and techno, EPs are not a popular format in hip-hop i think thats why some folks are unsure.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 10:27:59 AM »
What you mean the same way you cant take an L for calling pigface weapon waist crooked is debut album?That was one of the dumbest things Ive read on this forum and you cant even admit it.

Its not stupid when by all technical standards it is an album. Crooked I just doesn't want to label it as his "official album"

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
Enough of this overmodding....

Stop going off-topic then, you just can't help yourself?

Since when do threads have to stay to one topic? Is this one of those new rules? Secondly, who are you to decide where a thread goes? What if the original poster had wanted the thread to move in a different direction?

Anyway, you fail for merging posts about the long song lengths of the Nas album into my discussion about EP/LP. I don't want my EP discussion to be about anything else.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:37:27 AM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Westcoasanostra = EP
Creep on ah Come Up = EP

EP = 0-40 min
LP = 40-80 min

They're albums...

Forget about the whole EP/LP thing. That comes from the days from before Philips invented the CD.

You're reiterating the whole discussion again.  What if the maxi-single had 5 extra songs, in addition to the title single?  What if they were all different songs, and no other edits of the title single were included.  What if the single was never eventually released on an album or other release?

You could then consider this "maxi-single" an album, and then even an EP is a more suitable label..  Boom, a maxi single can be an EP.

And yes, now that I think about it, I would totally classify Illmatic as an EP technically...  But since it's soooo close and not so obvious, meh.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2010, 10:38:46 AM »
Westcoasanostra = EP
Creep on ah Come Up = EP

EP = 0-40 min
LP = 40-80 min

They're albums...

You're reiterating the whole discussion again.  What if the maxi-single had 5 extra songs, in addition to the title single?  What if they were all different songs, and no other edits of the title single were included.  What if the single was never eventually released on an album or other release?

You could then consider this "maxi-single" an album, and then even an EP is a more suitable label..  Boom, a maxi single can be an EP.

And yes, now that I think about it, I would totally classify Illmatic as an EP technically...  But since it's soooo close and not so obvious, meh.

well in the chart rules maxi singles are clearly mentioned as not being albums

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »
Westcoasanostra = EP
Creep on ah Come Up = EP

EP = 0-40 min
LP = 40-80 min

They're albums...

well in the chart rules maxi singles are clearly mentioned as not being albums

Are we talking about Billboard categorization or the length of releases? 

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »
I'm pro-modding in this fashion.  As long as a mod is not editing someone's content then it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the topic of this thread, obviously artistic intention also plays a role.  Nas mean illmatic to be his debut album, not an ep and thus it is not an ep.  As someone else said most hip-hop artist don't drop EPs.  If they do, as Royce has, it's a preview of the album or tracks that stand alone.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Jome

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
Since when do threads have to stay to one topic? Is this one of those new rules? Secondly, who are you to decide where a thread goes? What if the original poster had wanted the thread to move in a different direction?

Anyway, you fail for merging posts about the long song lengths of the Nas album into my discussion about EP/LP. I don't want my EP discussion to be about anything else.

Since always, with some exceptions for the G-spot.

If you wish to discuss something else, discuss it in another thread, or create a new thread. Tough concept?

ikke

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2010, 01:30:14 PM »

If you wish to discuss something else, discuss it in another thread, or create a new thread. Tough concept?

How is the nas discography off topic though?
the new album is a part of his discography or not.

Jome

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
^^ If somebody wants to discuss if Nastradamus was wack or not, and if Untitled was mediocre or decent, then it gots nothing to do with Distant Relatives.

And stop complaining about mod decisions, there's usually a reason behind them.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »

Or since never and its a case of you overmodding once again.

Fyi, if its a thread I create I don't want you doing this.

Jome

« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
Stop fucking bitching and crying, splitting off off-topic replies got nothing to do with overmodding.

Mod decisions are final and doesn't require an explanation or permission from thread starter, if you can't respect that, take a walk.