Author Topic: Drake sounds like a robot...  (Read 5818 times)

Jaydc

Re: Drake sounds like a robot...
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
I still cant wrap my head around people liking gucci.Lil wayne,jeezy etc they all ahve their place and can make soem great songs but gucci?The guy sounds like mush mouth from fat albert and his lyrics make me cringe.

Prof@ssor

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2010, 05:47:41 PM »

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2010, 05:57:51 PM »
I still cant wrap my head around people liking gucci.Lil wayne,jeezy etc they all ahve their place and can make soem great songs but gucci?The guy sounds like mush mouth from fat albert and his lyrics make me cringe.
I think I'd rather listen to Soulja Boi rather than Gucci, especially when he got that OJ tha Juiceboi with him.

kemizt

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »

For real, I stll reckon Gucci is mildly retarded

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »

;D

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2010, 08:39:01 PM »

;D

Haha fuckkk I haven't seen that vid in ages, Eli actually sounds like Gucci haha, maybe with better punchlines? +1 bro

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2010, 05:53:23 AM »
Drake barley sings in autotune. None of the singles from the album so far had autotune.

i don't need an album to enjoy music. over the years, Crooked I has put out some amazing songs & spit some amazing freestyles & they don't have to be on a disc & sold in stores for fifteen dollars for me to love them.

Well that's you but that's a wierd logic for me. They do need to be on a disc because that comes with a whole other angle; you have to sequence it properly, make it cohesive, appeal to your fanbase but still brake new demographic barriers.... I'm gonna go with the basketball player example again; wouldn't you get tired of your favorite player just playing on the streets for 15 years. Wouldn't you like to see him in the NBA with the big dogs and see if his talent can truly be put to good use ?

honestly, if i had the image to appeal to the mainstream & these ghostwriters found a formulatic single for me to just record & release, i could push close to selling a million copies; the game is just who can drop the hottest singles.

That's not true. Especially in the last few years we've seen a billion one hit wonders who sell shitloads of ring tones but flop album wise. And what happens to them is that they're forgotten in a 6 months span. What I'm talking about is building your fan base, showing that you're more than just a hot single, making a complete body of work.

also, what do albums mean if the music isn't any good? again with the comparison with myself, what if i dropped an album & it sucked ass minus like two songs? i'm better than Crooked I because i have the mainstream image, appeal & single to sell records? actual rapping doesn't sell anymore, it's all image, so i can't hold that against Crooked I that he physically can't sell because no matter how amazing a song he makes, kids aren't going to listen to it because his name isn't Sean Carter or Marshall Mathers.

I've already explained the first part in a previous quote; we're talking about having a long career, not ringtone rappers. About the 2nd part, none of the songs Crooked I released as potential hit singles were amazing music. That's my whole "beef" with you. You're acting like your and Crooked's vision is all "fuck mainstream", when in reality he has made several attempts at a crossover record but didn't succeed. I mean, if your logic was true why in the hell would Slaughterhouse sign to Shady, why would their ideal 5th member be Lil Wayne and why was "The One" their first single ?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2010, 06:24:28 AM »
Leaking songs and mixtapes isn't the same as putting out an album. They're a cop out basically, since they take away the element of critical opinion. They allow a rapper to put out music and not have it be judged, since leaked songs and mixtapes aren't criticized. If a rapper comes with a shitty album, it will be received as a shitty album and be a dent on their record. But no one cares about weak mixtapes, come to think of it I can't even think of a rapper who is known for dropping weak mixtapes. They definitely exist, but no one remembers that shit because its not counted as part of their legacy. It's a copout, a way to test the waters and keep people listening to some of your music while not risking the chance that it will fail.

There's also the issue of consistency. If a rapper leaks 20 songs over a period of time and half of them are dope, someone will go "damn this guy has 10 songs that are fire." But if those same 20 songs were released as an album it would be a mediocre album and be seen completely differently. Since Crooked I has leaked a lot of songs over the years, I'm sure you're looking at your ipod going "look at all those songs by Crooked I like" But what about all his shit you've skipped over? What about all the bad, forgettable songs? It's like people forget about those when they aren't viewed as an entire package as an album. Because an album creates a lasting legacy, whether good or bad, and mixtapes and songs leaks simply don't do that.

I think there is a reason Crooked I's projects that are closest to an album (his EPs) have all been disappointing. We've heard the unreleased version of what should have been his DR debut and it was just your average gangsta rap album, nothing special about it. And I think its very unlikely that he has the ability to drop a classic album. I appreciate him for what he can do but at the end of the day he simply isn't comparable to anyone with a history of good solid albums, no matter how many freestyles he drops or songs he leaks.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »
I more or less co-sign both of the past comments by Meho and Rapsor Die.

I don't support calling music "bitch music" nor do I support bigging up stereotypes of an individual based on masculinity or feminineness.   Most of Drake's music is a positive step in a community that's so focused on degrading the female.

Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2010, 07:41:48 AM »
cmon man. You've got to admit certain things are feminine. We wouldn't have the difference between genders if they weren't. I actually lolled at the comment that said I was super macho, cause I don't even see myself as that. I guess its a compliment, cause I've always seen myself as an average guy. But certain things are clearly more oriented towards women. Like wearing tight clothing, putting on lipstick and mascara, twilight, drake, etc. All this transgender stuff is bull. If a guy likes Twilight, I'm going to lol about it, just like any other guy would.

I'll all for someone being creative with their music, but its not like Drake is groundbreaking or going against any stereotypes. He's just like your average pop rappers like Ja Rule who have made songs for women in the past, minus the gangster image.

ikke

« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »
well in Europe its cool for guys to kiss so.....yeah.....why are you on a west coast hip hop forum again?
Says who?
That's bullshit

It's entertaining.

Listening to gucci for the lyrics is like listening to canibus for the beats

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »
@Meho, i don't hate all mainstream music; all i said was Crooked I is a better than rapper than Drake & always will be.

i don't care if Drake drops 10 albums & Crooked I never does, if Drake always sounds the way he does now, i'm positive Crooked I will be the better rapper.

he is appealing to his fanbase with what he's currently doing.

he appeared on the Slaughterhouse album & his fanbase loved it; along with Joe Budden, Royce & Joell Ortiz's fan bases.

if you can't hear a DISTINCT difference in "The One" & "Find Your Love", i don't know what you're listening to, man lol.

sure, they make "an attempt" at a single, but there is a line that they simply won't cross.

he's pushing a Hip Hip album with the lead single as RnB, not to mention Action!, "Find Your Love" is CLEARLY aimed at females lol.

anyway, for the Basketball player analogy, it's completely different because then when i said he was the best people would say, "he can't make it in the big leagues", with Crooked I, if he made it to the NBA (mainstream appeal, etc.), it would only affect his music negatively because his style of rap doesn't sell in 2010, so i'm actually happy he'll be a street baller for life. ;D

Drake will sell because he got it in with Lil' Wayne who has the most fans, Eminem sells because he's white & Jay-Z sells because he buys half a million of his albums lol.

so if Crooked I is just going to drop internet leaks & Slaughterhouse albums, but all of it is hot as fuck, it'll work for me. 8)

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
^ ignorant. Your argueing skills are truely retarded

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
^ ignorant. Your argueing skills are truely retarded

what is?

1. that's a poor arguing skill right there, not even telling me where i'm "wrong" or in this case "ignorant".
2. you clearly are Drake's biggest fan on this board & have taken his side in every thread pertaining to him; whatever you say is just invalid because you're beyond biased; i'm keeping an open mind about it.
3. you go against me whenever you get the chance & this is just another chance for you lol.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
@Meho, i don't hate all mainstream music; all i said was Crooked I is a better than rapper than Drake & always will be.

i don't care if Drake drops 10 albums & Crooked I never does, if Drake always sounds the way he does now, i'm positive Crooked I will be the better rapper.

he is appealing to his fanbase with what he's currently doing.

he appeared on the Slaughterhouse album & his fanbase loved it; along with Joe Budden, Royce & Joell Ortiz's fan bases.

if you can't hear a DISTINCT difference in "The One" & "Find Your Love", i don't know what you're listening to, man lol.

sure, they make "an attempt" at a single, but there is a line that they simply won't cross.

he's pushing a Hip Hip album with the lead single as RnB, not to mention Action!, "Find Your Love" is CLEARLY aimed at females lol.

anyway, for the Basketball player analogy, it's completely different because then when i said he was the best people would say, "he can't make it in the big leagues", with Crooked I, if he made it to the NBA (mainstream appeal, etc.), it would only affect his music negatively because his style of rap doesn't sell in 2010, so i'm actually happy he'll be a street baller for life. ;D

Drake will sell because he got it in with Lil' Wayne who has the most fans, Eminem sells because he's white & Jay-Z sells because he buys half a million of his albums lol.

so if Crooked I is just going to drop internet leaks & Slaughterhouse albums, but all of it is hot as fuck, it'll work for me. 8)

I agree with you that Crooked I is better than Drake BUT only cause I think he's a weak rapper who makes songs for women and will probably have a weak album, which will count against his career, not towards it...It's not about a rapper releasing 10 albums, it would be about a rapper releasing 10 goodalbums. I think you are missing the point that when it comes to artists who have actually dropped great album (and there are a lot of them) he just isn't on that level, for all the reasons I stated above. It takes more than freestyle skills to put out a great album. And I'm not talking about sales, MC Hammer has one of the highest selling hip hop album but does anyone talk about his album and how great it is? No one does. Now Raekwon's last album was an album everyone was talking about and still are. I don't know the exact sales but I'm sure it didn't sell well at all. But it still had an impact on Rae's career, shit it basically rejuvenated the whole Wu Clan. It's not about sales, since clearly there are a gang of classic albums that didn't sell well. The point is they were released and seen as classics because of their quality, not because of their sales. its about releasing a complete product that is well received by the hip hop community. Leaking songs does not do that for you, because its takes away from the "reception" aspect, because no one can review individual songs and determine whether a rapper has had a successful career off of freestyles and leaked songs. Hence as a rap artist I would have to put over Crooked I every rapper with a solid discography, since he doesn't have one.