Author Topic: Best Albums of 2002 NON Hip-Hop  (Read 526 times)

Murrow

Best Albums of 2002 NON Hip-Hop
« on: December 09, 2002, 04:04:06 PM »
What else have y'all been bumpin...here is what I think was the tightest this year...

"Gutterflower" - Goo Goo Dolls
This is a good album, not as good as their last, but I like the opening track, "Think About Me" and "Here Is Gone" the best.

"Instant Vintage" - Raphael Saddiq
Saadiq came up with a new sound.  Every song on this LP is good.  Fav joint is "Tick Tock."

"The Rising" - Bruce Springsteen
First album to really adress 9/11.  It's got some uplifting tracks, and some reflective/meloncholy ones.  Fav song is "Nothing Man."

"October Road" - James Taylor
Taylor brings back the acoustic rock one smore.  Good music to chill and reflect too.  Fav song is "On The 4th of July."

"Up" - Peter Gabriel
This guy makes great music.  A lot of world sounding beats with interesting lyrics.  "No Way Out" is a great song.

"Justified" - Justin Timberlake
Hot record to bump @ parties and to dance to.  Beats are hot, and so are the vocals.  I like the first single the best.

So there you go.  A lot of music coming from the West wasn't hot.  These releases were great.  I suggest you peep some of these songs/albums.

Cee ya

« Last Edit: December 09, 2002, 04:05:26 PM by Murrow »

EM28

Re:Best Albums of 2002 NON Hip-Hop
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 05:05:13 PM »
I don't remember if this album was released in 2001 or 2002 but if it was released in 2002 then i'd  say pod-satellite.
about one of the only rock albums i can bump.

I'll be thinking about the other ones and i'll post them later.

S.G.V.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 07:00:09 PM »
i dont know why u swear the west had nothin...commercially nothin...but who gives a fuck...we had strong releases from Brotha Lynch/Doomsday, Caz, Shade Sheist, W.C., E-40, B-Legit, Too Short, DJ Quik etc...good year for west coast in my eyes...maybe cuz u look for snoop, xzibit and dre thats why u feel that way...i dont know tho

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 12:48:10 AM »
I made a post other places that expressed my feelings that most music sucks that's out right now.  Honestly, I ain't bought most sh*t out this year, I thought most of it was trash.  I haven't heard a cd in a few years now that just BLEW me away, and I thought was great all the way through... the last one might have been Dre's 2001... but non hiphop, the ones that get honorable mention this year, LOL are

Oasis - Heathen Chemistry - one of the ONLY good rock bands out right now... and this album wasn't even really up to their level, but it was better than the crap they're rotating on mtv right now.  You can easily listen to the whole album, straight through, all the songs are good, but only a few tracks will go down in history or anything.

That Glen Phillips album - can't remember the name of it, but Glen used to be lead singer of Toad the Wet Sprocket.  It's good quality music, check out "Fred Myers" online or something, good stuff.

Paul McCartney - Back in the U.S. - live album, and almost everythign on it was previously released beatles songs and things, but man, every friekin' song was hot as hell, and paul, at 60, can still sing better than most people alive.  His basslines are legendary, and the band he got together was great.  Hearing 30,000 people sing along to a song is always amazing, too.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 12:49:13 AM »
Doh! I forgot to mention, No Doubt's album, "Rock Steady", these guys (and a girl) are STILL making good music, are STILL making refreshing lyrics, and 35 years after John Lennon said "You know, there's only 7 notes" are still finding creative ways to arrange those notes.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 12:50:13 AM »
and BTW, I haven't checked out that peter Gabriel, nor the James taylor album yet, Murrow, but knowing them, I'm sure both were good.  The Raphael Saadiq album is pretty good, but not my favorite of the year.  Peace~

Kaidy

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 02:34:46 AM »
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way

Everyone should own this album! The music and lyrics are unlike any rock music coming out right now, its a very melodic, feel-good record. You can hear so many diverse influences but the album sounds like a full complete album, not just a collection of songs. Check it out.

I also liked the new Coldplay album Rush Of Blood To The Head and the Nirvana Hits CD. Apart from those most of the music I got was rap.
 8)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 02:35:16 AM by Kaidy »

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 03:01:33 AM »
I"ll concede to your opinion, too.  The nirvana album of course is great... Chili Peppers are another of the few decent bands out, even though I don't own the cd, and Coldplay is one of the promising bands that are newer.  My favorite song of theres is "See you Soon" and I really dig "Beautiful World"... most of their stuff is awesome.  Great voice.  

Kamal

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 04:45:18 AM »
Peter Gabriel: Up
Raphael Saddiq: Instant Vintage
Justin Timberlake: Justified
N*E*R*D: In Search Of....
Phil Collins: Testified
Coldplay: Rush Of Blood To The Head

Peace
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 04:45:46 AM by T.K. »

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2002, 04:50:24 AM »
I haven't really bought anything outside hip-hop except for Truth's debut, oh and I bought another copy of Alicia Key's "Songs In A Minor", the one with the remixes. Other than that all i've bought has been hip-hop, and to be honest I haven't felt the need to stray from hip-hop at all this year, I know alot of people have complained about the state of hip-hop this year but i've been happy with every purchase this year, I actually feel like i've been spoilt for choice.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Reef

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Guess Whos Back?
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 09:17:28 AM »
Linkin Park - Reanimation

Murrow

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 11:31:41 AM »
Peter Gabriel: Up
Raphael Saddiq: Instant Vintage
Justin Timberlake: Justified
N*E*R*D: In Search Of....
Phil Collins: Testified
Coldplay: Rush Of Blood To The Head

Peace

Dam...go T.K.!  I forgot about "Testify" by Collins.  The first single is a great song.

ALKAHOLIK21

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 12:42:14 PM »
coldplay is probably the best band out right now

EM28

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 02:50:08 PM »
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way

Everyone should own this album! The music and lyrics are unlike any rock music coming out right now, its a very melodic, feel-good record. You can hear so many diverse influences but the album sounds like a full complete album, not just a collection of songs. Check it out.

I also liked the new Coldplay album Rush Of Blood To The Head and the Nirvana Hits CD. Apart from those most of the music I got was rap.
 8)

Yeah i forgot about the red hot chilli peppers cd

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2002, 04:51:29 PM »
coldplay is probably the best band out right now

could be, yeah.  There aren't many great ones out, Coldplay might just be the best out.