Author Topic: Will anybody EVER step to the beatles?  (Read 948 times)

Trauma-san

Will anybody EVER step to the beatles?
« on: December 10, 2002, 12:16:07 AM »
I was sitting here going through some old beatles stuff... and man.... they're just gonna end up the best ever, aren't they? LOL I mean,.... I saw the billboard awards earlier, and frankly, there isn't an artist out right now that deserves to even MEET paul mccartney, much less deserve the respect the beatles have.  Yall think anybody will ever step to them as far as being legends, and just representing pure talent?  To this day, people are still pissed that George Harrison let Eric Clapton play guitar on a song, or that they let Billy Preston play keys on some of their songs... most people think they were too legendary to even do COLLABOS with people.  I don't think they'll ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be another band on that level.  They handed out the award for "Best Rock" tonight, and frankly, I was disgusted.  Puddle of Mud? Creed?  Staind? These guys are all f*ckin' jokes compared to the Beatles.  What do yall think? Will they ever have competition?

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
Re:Will anybody EVER step to the beatles?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 12:32:33 AM »

Never have any competition...ever.

Hand's down best that ever did it....ImO
Or in new term's the Beatles are the G.O.A.T.

Lennon
Mccartney
Harrison
Star.....Classic music that will last forever.

I will never tire of a Beatles record....their greatest hits record 1967/1970 {AkA the Blue album} is my favorite compilation ever put out on any format.

John Lennon being the reason why the Beatles have a special spot for me....his solo shitt to me is just as amazing as his time spent with the group.

A group like this will never happen again cause music is dyng slowy, mainly I blame the marrige of different genres of music fuckin each other to make hybred version's of their stylez such as Bastard Rock/or bastard hip-hop.

Then again....Older peep's probably thought the same way when the Beatles dropped, I bet the O.G's were like what the fuck is this racket......lol
But danm!! I wish we had even a 10th of that type of creativity and power in music still.

OnE
Hatesrats 2oo2

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 12:41:28 AM »
Damn Right.  Thanks for the reply.  Read my other topic about music dying I made and reply, please, too.... I like your theory about music cross polinating itself, maybe we should just isolate and only listen to 1 type of music? LOL Man, at this point, I'm ready to try anything.  Just take a step back, and look at what the F*ck we're idolizing these days.  It's disgusting.  Music has on a whole, with exceptions, of course, been flushed down the damn toilet.  

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 02:14:42 AM »
the problem with these modern groups is that they're fabricated... they are all "pretty boys" picked for looks and not talent. the industry will always get blown sideways when some unmissable 'real' talent gets picked up.

Kaidy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 02:28:46 AM »
Great post Hatesrats, I agree with every word you said.

And yea, it's difficult to ever see anybody touching The Beatles. Unless there's a music industry armageddon that kills the machine and people start listening to real music again, imagine that hehe. But for real, music in general is a horrible mess right now.

But as for any group being as good the Fab Four? I highly doubt it, but never say never.

8)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 11:01:25 AM »
well... that depends... in terms of rock music i certainly can't see anyone stepping to em.  not of the current new artists... sum 41 is really the only rock group that seems to have any potential... and they're more punk than straight rock... most of todays rock groups can only make one style of song....

on another note... i saw a thread on SOHH that called De La Soul "our" beatles... meaning that they're basically the equivelant in terms of hip-hop.  any thoughts on this?  I think the only group really fucking with them in terms of dopeness would be The Roots.. on a creative/musical/lyrical/consistency standpoint...

but no... I don't see anyone fucking with the beatles at all... maybe U2... but they're not exactly new ;)
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Murrow

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 11:29:03 AM »
Modern rock blows, and fuck the Billboard Awards, they sucked last night.

ALKAHOLIK21

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 12:02:15 PM »
hey trauma have you heard day tripper with jimi hendrix and the beatles??????(its actually just mccartny and lennon singing with jimi on guitar and mitch mitchell on drums) its a really cool song not to many people know about it, its available to download. I dont know if you like jimi hendrix or not but he really rips that song to pieces with his guitar work. one of the best collaborations ever in my mind.

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 04:45:39 PM »
Yeah, I heard it... but be leary of that, they're not positive that's even legit.  Jimi was awesome, though.

The roots and De La are both dope, 2 of my favorite bands, of course.  But the beatles changed the world, they started the hippie movement, I mean, they actually changed society with music.  No other band will ever come close to that, De La has'nt and the Roots haven't either.  

ALKAHOLIK21

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2002, 09:51:54 PM »
im pretty sure its legit its on the jimi hendrix experience bbc sessions album  jimi also did a live version of sgt peppers lonely hearts club band you probably heard it what did u think of it?? i thought it was excellent. when they were in london i bet they had some wild times together.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 10:46:56 PM »
you know what about that srgt peppers thing jimi did?

he bought the album on a friday(the day it came out i believe) memorized it during the weekend (remind you jimi couldn't read music/tabs basically did everything by ear) then on monday played it for paul, i heard paul say this on a jimi special on vh1..that's AMAZING

anyways as far as bands go that rival the beatles you always got the 'stones up there

then personally i think Led Zeppelin are just as talented  as the beatles.Zep was awesome

you also got the doors, the who, cream, aerosmith , pink floyd,  who had potential throughout the 60's and 70's but IMO never lived up to their FULL potential
then in the 80's you had bands like u2, guns n' roses, metallica, the clash, queen  that carried the tourch
then in the 90's you had bands like nirvana , peral jam, soundgarden ect. that carried  the tourch again

but overall i dont think one specific band posses what the beatles had

heres what i think

zeppelin had every bit of talent...if not more than the beatles but were no where near as innovative

Black Sabath is more influencial (they are what NWA are to rap.....people throughout the genre still resemble them) than the Beatles BUT weren't half as talented or creative as a whole

Metallica was just as creative if you see through the hard exterior , and instrumentally better...but (even though james and lars wrote good lyrics) arn't even on the toe nails of paul john and george's song writing abilities

IMO if you add these 3 bands together you get the Beatles....the beatles are a smorgishborg of what all the great bands are

they embodied everything great about good music

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 11:12:43 PM »
ALKAHOLIK, was that BBC thing like an official release, just came out not too long ago? It must be legit then, I didn't realize that happened... I just had lke a bootlegg they attributed to Jimi and John, but I heard somewhere it was fake (Just jimi playing the song, and they said John was there).

I've heard Sgt. Peppers, of COURSE it's awesome.  I've got a few live versions, honestly... Jimi was amazing.  

An even better story is this, lol.  He bought Bob Dylan's Route 66 (I THINK was the album name), and played it.  They all liked how "All along the Watchtower" was played, so they went straight down to the studio, that night, and cut it.  Jimi told the guitarist what to play on acoustic, told the bass guy and the drummer what to play, and they cut the song the night they first heard it.  Unbelievable.  

Another legendary story about him is, when they were recording "Electric Ladyland", they were being filmed, they needed extra footage, so Jimi Plugged in, and said, "alright, we'll do a slight return to Voodoo Child" LOL... GOOD GOD ,then he just wrote "Voodoo chile" right there on the console, while he played it.  Top that.  That's why there's 2 versions of Voodoo Child, the second one was him just messing around so they'd have footage of him recording for the special, and it's considered like the greatest guitar work ever.  He was unbelievable, man, unbelievable.  

I'm glad you mentioned Paul McCartney, most people don't realize Paul and Mick Jagger had a lot to do with Jimi getting famous.   They kinda 'discovered' him in London.  

Peace~

Oh, BTW, You're pretty dead on with your evaluation of the bands... the beatles weren't REALLY extremeley talented, most bands could smoke them on their own instruments, but, the beatles had heart, desire, creativity, they had just everything jelling perfectly.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 11:16:28 PM »
Oh, I dunno about Black Sabbath more influential, though.  The beatles have influenced pretty much everything in music today... Look at your genres, in Rock, people like Nirvana, STP, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, etc. are obviously heavily influenced by the beatles.  In Country, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, all the heavyweights are heavily influenced by the beatles.  In Rap, Dre, Eminem, Snoop, etc. have ALL said they were influenced by the beatles, and you can hear it in their work.  I'd say one of the biggest legacies they left was their influence.  Peace~

ALKAHOLIK21

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2002, 12:00:19 AM »
yeah that bbc album was released in 98' .

Mick and paul did help him out alot with his succes but actually keith richards (stones guitar or bass player i think)girlfriend discovered jimi first and told chas chandler (the animals bass player turned into a manager) about him and when chas heard this dude he asked him to come to london immediatly and join his label!!jimi said yeah but under one circumstance and that was for him to meet eric clapton and soon as they got there he jammed with cream and eric. the story said that when jimi jammed with cream eric stopped playing in the middle of a song (killing floor i believe) in amazement!!!because he was playing with his teeth and behind his back etc... and after the gig chas chandler came up to eric clapton who had his hands in his face and said whats wrong eric?? eric said you told me he was good!! but not that fucking good!!!!!lol

Did you know jimi was a backup guitar player on the chitlin circut(diry south) with the isley brothers, wilson pickett???also for little richard. lol

to anwser your question trauma about can anyone touch the beatles??? the anwser is HELL NO!!!!! no one influenced the world like the beatles did!!!! i know you know this trauma but did anyone else know that all the songs they did were original!!! and correct me if im wrong but they made more songs than any other band i beleive. i think elvis was second and hendrix was third.

Trauma-san

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2002, 12:42:44 AM »
Well, they didn't make more songs, but they had more #1's, yeah.

Thanks for that Info about Jimi, I never really looked into his getting signed too much, I just know Mick Paul and Keith used to see him play live at clubs in London.  Didn't John Phillips have alot to do with it too? (Mamas and Poppas)... he was in charge of the Monterey Pop music festival and got Jimi on late as a performer