Author Topic: Will anybody EVER step to the beatles?  (Read 915 times)

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re:Will anybody EVER step to the beatles?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2002, 12:55:35 AM »
i thougt jimi was discovered by the bassist of that band who sang "whats your name /whose your daddy/he rich/is he rich like me" (the animals??)

oh yeah jimi was also in the airforce

and he spent literally hours tuning his guitar before each and every performance

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2002, 01:06:53 AM »
U sure about that hours tuning the guitar thing? I never heard that.

When he was in the airforce, he hocked his guitar to a pawn shop, and used to go down to shows and watch bands play.  He'd ask them if he could jam with them and they never wanted him to, because he was better than them, LOL.  So, the guys used to say "Yeah, you can, but you can't restring my guitar" (because he was left handed), thinking he wouldn't play.  Jimi would just get on stage, and play upside down (with the bass on bottom, treble on top) and STILL outplay them, LOL.  Good god.  

bez

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2002, 05:19:43 AM »
No!, Beatles are legends and they cant be fucked with.

Straight from Liverpool brothers!

Sol

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2002, 11:29:49 AM »
from reading the replies in this topic i know im going to get slated for saying this but imo the beatles are so overrted. im not saying they were rubbish they obviously were not and good and what they did, but they are not the best ever.
they couldnt produce their way out of a paper bag, george martin did all of that for them, and neither lennon nor mcartney could read music.
i aint an expert on their music but you said could anyone step to the beatles, well a guy named brian wilson out of the beach boys definatly did. he produced, arranged and did everything and his album pet sounds was years ahead of its time. mcartney said himself that this is one of the greatest albums ever and was inspired and heavily influenced by him.

anyway thats just my opinion.

Murrow

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2002, 12:47:52 PM »
from reading the replies in this topic i know im going to get slated for saying this but imo the beatles are so overrted. im not saying they were rubbish they obviously were not and good and what they did, but they are not the best ever.
they couldnt produce their way out of a paper bag, george martin did all of that for them, and neither lennon nor mcartney could read music.
i aint an expert on their music but you said could anyone step to the beatles, well a guy named brian wilson out of the beach boys definatly did. he produced, arranged and did everything and his album pet sounds was years ahead of its time. mcartney said himself that this is one of the greatest albums ever and was inspired and heavily influenced by him.

"Pet Sounds" is a fuckin sick album.  Wilson is a genius.

I never cared for The Beatles either.  I just see them as revolutionary, other than that I don't think their music is great.  Sorry.

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2002, 02:44:41 PM »

That is a great album, but check the whole story.  The beatles made "Revolver" which was years ahead of it's time.  The Beach Boys felt they had to rival that, so Brian Wilson (a genius) went in the studio, and made "Pet Sounds" which was probably a better album than Revolver.  The harmonies are unbelievable, and almost every song is just beautiful, it's really a pretty album.  If you've ever heard "God Only Knows" you'll know what i'm talking about... stunning stuff.  Paul McCartney's favorite song of all time is "You Still Believe in Me" off of the album.  It was a concept album, about a guy growing up, falling in love, breaking up, then getting back together.  One of the greatest albums of all time.

The problem with the Beach Boys, though, is this.... a few months later, the Beatles released "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".  The Beach boys were working on a follow up record, but after they heard "Sgt. Peppers" (Long considered the best album ever recorded), Brian Wilson RETIRED.  He never even finished the album (Only a few tracks were done, one being "good Vibrations").  He went home, and went insane.  He had a sandbox installed in his living room, so he could sit in it and write songs like he was on the beach.  Mike Love had Charles Manson living at his house, and eventually, Brian Wilson retired to his bed for MONTHS where he listened to "Don't Worry Baby" by the Rhonettes over and over (He thought it was a perfect song; he had a housekeeper play it over and over for him).  

the beatles went on to record the White Album, Abbey Road, and Let It Be, then all went on to successful solo careers.  Brian wilson wrote Kokomo, that's pretty much his sole contribution to music after "Pet Sounds".  So... The Beatles are his DADDY.  He couldn't handle the pressure, everybody knows it, ... the beach boys could have been the greatest of all time, but they never matured like the beatles did.  

Peace~

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
Re: Will anybody EVER step to the beatles?
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »
aint nobody fuckin with the beatles..

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2004, 09:06:59 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How far back did you go to dig this up?

It's interesting to see how Trauma almost downplayed Wilson 2 years ago. I guess he grew to appreciate him a lot more since this was posted.

As for topping the Beatles; well it hasn't happenned yet, but to say never is foolish. I'm not counting on it, but anything can happen.

(Correction; Trauma stated the Beatles were responsible for the hippie movement. No one person can claim to have started it, but it was Bob Dylan's music that was the catalyst for it).

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 09:09:44 AM »
^ i did find that wilson thing funny.. but he didnt downplay him.. just seems he apriciates him more now..

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 09:15:55 AM »
^ i did find that wilson thing funny.. but he didnt downplay him.. just seems he apriciates him more now..

I said "almost" downplay, because compared to how he praises him now, what he said then is almost insulting. Obviously, he didn't say anything bad about him.

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2004, 09:24:38 AM »
There are many bands who were amazing, to name a few, Hendrix, sabbath, zeppelin....

but i dont think you could compare any band to the beatles.

Trauma-san

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2004, 04:36:07 PM »
Shallow... off the nuts please. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2004, 04:52:16 PM »
Shallow... off the nuts please. 

I'm not quite following you here. An old thread came up and it appeared that you didn't like Wilson as much then as you do now. I felt like pointing it out. I wasn't insulting you or trying to make a statement. It was merely an observation.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 01:46:07 AM »
black sabbath are actually more influencial than the beatles in my opinion

the beatles' influence was strong throughout the 60's and died slowly in the 70's and kinda floated around through the years, their songs held up well but ain't too many people running around trying to make Lucy in the sky with diamonds or yesturday

sabbath on the other hand when they came out they created a whole genre, their influence was very strong in the 70's , even stronger in 80's and just as strong in the 90's and is still very very strong today.

when you talk about over all songs yes the beatles are better , but influence sabbath and zeppelin are more influencial

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 03:40:43 AM »
sum 41 is really the only rock group that seems to have any potential

wow...lol