Author Topic: Where's the Music?  (Read 566 times)

Trauma-san

Where's the Music?
« on: December 10, 2002, 12:36:27 AM »
I touched on this in my beatles topic, but yall tell me.  Am I just getting old? It's like music just is nowhere near the level now that it was years ago.  Look back.  And think about what's going on right now... Music is in a stagnant state.  Just look back a little bit.  

95 - Tupac, Biggie, Smashing Pumpkins, Garth Brooks, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, and Oasis all ruled music.  All talented, every one of them was doing nothing but putting out classic music.  Stuff that's gonna get played for years, these guys were making legends out of themselves.  And don't downplay Garth Brook's importance, he single handedly revolutionized Country music, He flipped Nashville on it's ear, and made all that redneck music new and fresh again, mixing rock and blues in and just totally changing the landscape.  Yall all know what Pac and Biggie did, and the Pumpkins and Nirvana REVOLUTIONIZED music... Nirvana is like the 90's version of the beatles.  

92-94 - Dre, Snoop, Michael Jackson, Alice In Chains, Metallica, and the emergence of Hip Hop - yall know what all these guys did, but in this era, music was just poppin, stuff was happening, hiphop was finally getting mainstream acceptance, radio was amazing then.  

80's - Lots of crappy bands, but some good bands - The Police, U2, NWA, Billy Joel, Cyndi Lauper, The Eurythmics, Michael Jackson, George Strait, Randy Travis, Elton John, Run DMC - The roots of hiphop, a few good rock bands, but in my opinion, generally a low point in music.  Everythign was material, sure, we all have favorite songs from the 80's, but all in all, most of it was Sh*t.  

70's - R&B flourished, the era of the Singer/Songwriters - Van Morrison, Billy Joel, Eric Clapton, Marvin Gaye, Elton John, Carol King, Bob Dylan, Conway Twitty, Dolly Parton, George Jones, Carly Simon, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison - Singer Songwriters came through with the most soulfull important music of alltime, probably 60% of the stuff out then was all classic, R&B was on a while nother level, the great soul bands out were just amazing.  Nothing but quality pretty much in the 70's

Trauma-san

Re:Where's the Music?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 12:36:35 AM »
Late 60's - Motown, the Beatles, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Loving Spoonful, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, The Jackson 5 - Quality.  You can take almost any song by any performer from the late 60's, and it'll be solid all the way through.  Well written, and the birth of the song... before this, songs were all love songs to nobody.

Early 60's - Motown, Elvis, Etta James, Crooners, Frank Sinatra - Quality stuff, and nobody's gonna talk bad about these songs, but they didn't have the substance of later stuff.  Most of the stuff was Rhythmic, and you had the birth of motown, with Smokey Robinson and the Supremes.  Tons of great music, from tons of great musicians.

Late 50's - Elvis, Chuck Berry, Hank Williams, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis - everybody knows what 50's music sounded like.  It was all pop, but all classic stuff by now... tons of people got famous off 1 song in the 50's, and Rock and Roll was born, bringing with it what would bring Country, Hip Hop, R&B, Soul, all this into the forefront of music.  Rock and Roll started all this we're living in today.. .other music was around, but Rock and Roll is what got it all into our living rooms.

40's and early 50's - Doo Wop music, Jazz, Crooners, Frank Sinatra - this was the age of the vocalists, groups of guys that could sing and harmonize.  Moodys Mood for Love.  

What the hell are we gonna remember about music right now?  Nelly?  There ain't SH*T out doing anything right now.  I'm white, and most of the guys that are carrying Rock and Country are a disgrace to the Race.  Hiphop is about the only thing doing anything important, and there's only a few good artists out in hiphop right now.  What do yall think? Am I just getting old? LOL or am I cleanly seeing that music right now just pretty much sucks.  

Kaidy

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 02:47:58 AM »
yea i feel the same way sometimes, music sucks. You have to blame the industry, the corporate machine. They've just brainwashed people to support the lowest common denominator. It's too difficult to make something different or new, so they just put out all this watered down nonsense. But i don't know, maybe people, musicians included, are just getting dumber. No one wants to challenge anything, they're too content with things I guess. The majority of people just want to party. Perhaps they're blinded from real issues.

The only person making revolutionary music right now is Eminem imo, but even he has to cater to the dumbed-down audience to some extent. How many people who bought Eminem Show really listen to his provocative anti-government anti-system lyrics; and how many bought it just because they like his hair?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 02:49:03 AM by Kaidy »

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 03:06:30 AM »
Yup, Exactly.  In my perfect musical world, LOL Eminem would be one of hundreds doing stuff like that.  

but check this...

Back in the 60's, You had Motown... Motown was GREAT! They had a team of guys that wrote all the songs.  All the acts, or most, were stuck together, they had talent, sure, they could sing, and dance, but really... weren't many of them prodigys (Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and Michael Jackson excluded of course).  How come the formula was so dope back then, but now it sucks?  I can listen to motown for a week straight.  Motown can make me cry, can make me dance, can make me sing along, can make me think, can make me happy, sad.  

Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera and the other 1000 never, ever move me.  Why is that? I just don't get it.  I don't understand why music sucks so much right now.  

Kaidy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 03:21:47 AM »
Good point. Perhaps its because when Motown were doing it, the formula was new and original. But the labels now are copying what they did so well back then. Originality is always better than repetition.

Or maybe because today's pop music is targeted so heavily at very young kids, wya younger than Motown's target audience, which I believe was more young adults.

i'm just guessing tho

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 04:25:25 AM »
Yeah... could be... Usher, Jodeci, Etc. is kinda like the old motown, and everybody (including me) pretty much loves them.  So maybe it's just all this kiddy stuff that's killin' us.  

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 05:20:59 AM »
The only person making revolutionary music right now is Eminem imo, but even he has to cater to the dumbed-down audience to some extent. How many people who bought Eminem Show really listen to his provocative anti-government anti-system lyrics; and how many bought it just because they like his hair?

I agree with Eminem being one of the few artists making revolutionary music right now. I can't say my soul purpose of copping his music was because of his political lyrics but I love that he had content like that included, I love hip-hop when it expresses views on social/political issues, thats why I love 'Pac's music so much and others like Talib Kweli, Common etc, I think artists are at their best when they make songs with strong messages like that, for example, take "What A Mess" from Xzibit's "Man Vs. Machine", that was by far the best track on that album.
I think the problem with the music charts is that young kids are the ones that buy most of the music and most of them enjoy poppy sounds with catchy choruses, they don't really care for the lyrics, I mean their kids, they don't particularly understand or really care for real issues when their like 5-12 years old, I was exactly the same, and i'm sure alot of other people here were/are too. It's when you grow up and start to become more mature that you realise that the problems that are going on in the world will eventually affect you if they haven't already and then you start feeling more serious types of music that tackle those issues, within hip-hop this would probably be experienced through more concious type rappers like Talib Kweli, Mos, Common etc.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 10:56:11 AM »
right now, the artists getting publicized are generally a disgrace to music...

there's great artists, but they're pretty unrecognized.  basically i stay away from a lot of current stuff outside of hip-hop because its trash... although i can vibe with some stuff thats new (avril lavigne, sum 41, the new santana album is great... )

from a hip-hop standpoint, i hope that Phrenology allows The Roots to make their mark as an amazing group... I wouldn't put it on par with their previous work, but I hope it gains them some exposure so that more people will realize their brilliance.  
Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

Murrow

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2002, 11:38:35 AM »
Man, how could you leave out The Mac?  They are one of my favorite bands of all time as well as one of the nest.  They've recorded one of the best albums ever in '77, with "Rumours" and took over rock.  Then, once they conquered popular music they went and did a u-turn with their next album and tried something totally new mixing in punk rock with a Talking Heads flavor.

These guys get underrated especially their guitar player, but they will return next year with a great album.  

That's what I am lookin for.

ALKAHOLIK21

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2002, 12:12:30 PM »
and alot of these people in todays music world dont even play instruments!!!!!!they have no creativity they have someone else write the lryics!!! its just all about makeing money thats all they care about!! thats whats ruining everything they arent doing this for fun they want the cash....  

bez

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2002, 02:47:57 PM »
Yer music has been on a slow downhill road since the 80's I feel.  I mean you just gotta listen to the 80's shit, its amazing.

Hey I stuck in me dads Bill Joel Cd last night. Well all I am saying is ahhhhhhhh mazin.  Boss song on there called Lenigrad.  get it!

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2002, 04:50:00 PM »
We still ain't figured out what's wrong with it.  Yall say because it's all written by somebody else, and they don't play instruments... Then why the hell did Elvis get so big? LOL he never wrote a single song, same with Frank Sinatra, and nobody calls them wack.  The temptations are one of the greatest ever, never wrote a single song.  We all like that, why don't we like the crap they make now?  

Suga Foot

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2002, 09:48:37 PM »
Alicia Keys, Lenny Kravitz, Monica's "Angel Of Mine", Enrique, Erykah Badu, Wyclef

IMO these will all be timeless artists/songs.  

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2002, 11:00:22 PM »
damn trauma it's almost scary how much we think alike ..i seriously was going to make a post like this and write basically the EXACT SAME THING

but what i wanna know is..WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE EPIC!!!!!!?????

songs that lasted 7-8 minutes and had an slow intro , and build up/up beat verse, instumental or catchy hook, and a climatic outro .

example: november rain/stairway to heaven/one/when the levee breaks, ect

ya know shit that didn't follow the basic verse/chorus/verse/chorus /verse/bridge(optional)/chorus

just shit that went in all different directions and was creative and stood out and could go on forever

nowadays everything is formulistic

« Last Edit: December 10, 2002, 11:01:56 PM by Don Jacob Corleone »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

ALKAHOLIK21

• Lil Geezy
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2002, 12:19:19 AM »
hopefully someone or something will come along and change things i dont see that happning for awhile though i think everyone is just waiting for something new i feel that way do you guys feel that way? rmeber back before grunge came and the had the hair bands which were gay as hell and everyone just turned grunge all of the sudden... i feel that the musical world is gonna change some how some way just like it has done in the past.especially rap. its only a matter of time untill then we have to put up with the bullshit we have now..... actually im not im just gonna listen to the old school cuts!!!!!