Author Topic: Was Regulate the biggest westcoast song of the 90s  (Read 1231 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Was Regulate the biggest westcoast song of the 90s
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:12 AM »
they get more play but are they better in terms of muzik and more CLASSIC?
no way

Who cares? That has nothing to do with this thread. And lol @ more classic
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:42:08 AM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 02:29:08 PM »
nah im sayin regulate is the best song but it didnt get as much play weddings etc...as others but does that mean it aint as big?
i mean regulate to the westcoast....should mean alot
to the westcoast alone....what other song is as dope as that considerin when it came out, and what has happened since?

no way

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

ikke

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 02:31:08 PM »
Yes that's exactly what it means
nah im sayin regulate is the best song but it didnt get as much play weddings etc...as others but does that mean it aint as big?
to the westcoast alone....what other song is as dope as that considerin when it came out, and what has happened since?

no way

Jaydc

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
Yeah the terms of what we are discussing isnt actually clear.I mean if getting spins at weddings and being used a novelty is the factor then yes baby got back is among the biggest lol.

Lol, you're exactly what I meant when I said people don't want to give credit to certain songs. Maybe you don't like the song but I don't think novelty has anything do to with it. How do you define what is a novelty and what isn't? Michael Jackson gets played at weddings at well, are you going to call his music a novelty? If you think one song is better than another that's entirely your opinion and has nothing to do with the basis of this thread.

Gangsta rap because incredibly popular because white suburban kids thought it was cool. Non-gangsters making songs about being gangsters for shock value isn't any less of a novelty than a guy talking about girls with big butts. At least Sir Mix a Lot was honest ya know?

Ill give it all the credit it deserves.Through some quick research I notcied that its 2x platinum.California Love is also 2x times platinum and gangters paradise is 2 times platinum.So what makes baby got back got back bigger then them?Because it gets used a novelty at weddings its a bigger song?

Im not basing anything on my opinion,I just know that gangsters paradise,regulate and california love were huge songs and still get play to this day,thats not my opinion thats just what we call a fact.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »

no way

Who are you to say which one is more important to the west coast? Are you even from the west coast? Regulate is definitely more important to this forum, but this forum doesn't represent the west coast, it represents mostly Europeans stuck on west coast gangsta rap. You are aware the west isn't popping in the states anymore, right? You go out and ask random people whether they know both songs (on any coast), I guarantee you more people will know Baby Got Back than Regulate. You can argue back and forth WHY a song got as big as it did, but still doesn't change which one was bigger. You ask any hip hop fan of the 90s, they will know Regulate. You ask anyone who listens to music period, they will know Baby Got Back. If that doesn't make clear which one was bigger I don't know what does.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 03:30:06 PM »
really I want to know if anyone arguing with me is actually from the states, cause if you aren't you might not get just how big that song was.

Jaydc

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 03:34:36 PM »
I garauntee you if you ask random people what their favourite songs are from westcoast hip hop in the 90s almost nobody is going to say baby got back.most people know it as a novelty song and dont even know its a westcoast song.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
I garauntee you if you ask random people what their favourite songs are from westcoast hip hop in the 90s almost nobody is going to say baby got back.most people know it as a novelty song and dont even know its a westcoast song.

who gives a fuck who someone's favorite song from the westcoast is? Why don't you go make another topic about it?

Jaydc

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »

who gives a fuck who someone's favorite song from the westcoast is? Why don't you go make another topic about it?

re place the word favourite with biggest,its what i meant anyway.Your still getting the same answer. Nobody will say baby got back.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 04:14:29 PM »
real talk jay....you understood what i was sayin
anyday of the year
regulate>>>>>>baby got back and cant touch this and california love
nah im from europe...haha that really makes a difference to some of you....even tho im not

Yeah the terms of what we are discussing isnt actually clear.I mean if getting spins at weddings and being used a novelty is the factor then yes baby got back is among the biggest lol.

Lol, you're exactly what I meant when I said people don't want to give credit to certain songs. Maybe you don't like the song but I don't think novelty has anything do to with it. How do you define what is a novelty and what isn't? Michael Jackson gets played at weddings at well, are you going to call his music a novelty? If you think one song is better than another that's entirely your opinion and has nothing to do with the basis of this thread.

Gangsta rap because incredibly popular because white suburban kids thought it was cool. Non-gangsters making songs about being gangsters for shock value isn't any less of a novelty than a guy talking about girls with big butts. At least Sir Mix a Lot was honest ya know?

Ill give it all the credit it deserves.Through some quick research I notcied that its 2x platinum.California Love is also 2x times platinum and gangters paradise is 2 times platinum.So what makes baby got back got back bigger then them?Because it gets used a novelty at weddings its a bigger song?

Im not basing anything on my opinion,I just know that gangsters paradise,regulate and california love were huge songs and still get play to this day,thats not my opinion thats just what we call a fact.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:18:06 PM by Ancient Chinese Secret »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Jaydc

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 04:20:09 PM »
Well I wouldnt put regulate over california love.Its clear that its a bigger song then regulate.From single sales,to album sales to current rotation its got regulate beat.

I think the point Im going at mostly is the thread title is biggest westcoast song of the 90s,not what song has continued to be used today.And baby got back isnt what you call a westcoast song,it transcends being called a westcoast song.now you could say that makes it a bigger song because it transcends the label,but thats the very question whats the biggest wescoast song.You could say black eyed peas is the biggest westcoast group,but they transcend that westcoast label they dont make westcoast music they make music.As does cant touch this,yes hes from the bay but cant touch this isnt westcoast music its just plain old music.I mean hell they didnt rule out what genre were talking about so you can research what rock songs came out from groups that were in california and say those were bigger but thats not the discussion in my eyes.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »

re place the word favourite with biggest,its what i meant anyway.Your still getting the same answer. Nobody will say baby got back.

Lol, so now Sir Mix a Lot isn't west coast? You want to redefine what it means to be a westcoast song just to try and be right? The reason Baby Got Back not identified as a west coast song because it has transcended that classification. Just like songs like Y.M.C.A, or any other huge song in pop culture, they are big enough where they aren't from a specific region. The reason this song is played and parties and weddings, and in movies is because it appeals to a much broader audience.

Saying Baby Got Back isn't a bigger westcoast song than Regulate is like saying the Black Eyed Peas aren't the biggest rap group from the west coast right now. It simply isn't true unless you want to rename the question "what is the biggest westcoast song that sounds westcoast"? And like I said, go make another thread if you want to change the topic.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
real talk jay....you understood what i was sayin
anyday of the year
regulate>>>>>>baby got back and cant touch this and california love
nah im from europe...haha that really makes a difference to some of you....even tho im not

you don't quite get the point of this thread. It doesn't matter which one you think is a better song

Bananas

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
baby got back

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
For the new millenium era I vote for Candyshop by 50 cent it's been sung at a wedding ^^ Rotfl
Proof here:

"Baby got back" "played at weddings"  oh man dude's just killed me, his mind must be so twisted it's a big mess inside his cranium lol.
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !