Author Topic: Was Regulate the biggest westcoast song of the 90s  (Read 1230 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: Was Regulate the biggest westcoast song of the 90s
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2010, 04:37:18 PM »
Well I wouldnt put regulate over california love.Its clear that its a bigger song then regulate.From single sales,to album sales to current rotation its got regulate beat.

I think the point Im going at mostly is the thread title is biggest westcoast song of the 90s,not what song has continued to be used today.And baby got back isnt what you call a westcoast song,it transcends being called a westcoast song.now you could say that makes it a bigger song because it transcends the label,but thats the very question whats the biggest wescoast song.You could say black eyed peas is the biggest westcoast group,but they transcend that westcoast label they dont make westcoast music they make music.As does cant touch this,yes hes from the bay but cant touch this isnt westcoast music its just plain old music.I mean hell they didnt rule out what genre were talking about so you can research what rock songs came out from groups that were in california and say those were bigger but thats not the discussion in my eyes.

The problem is you assume that West coast rap is only defined by its sound when its not. It's a regional definition, not a type of song. While certain sounds are more common to different regions, they don't define it. Otherwise you would have to cut out everything else that comes out of west coast hip hop. There's a lot of different stuff that comes out of the west besides gangsta rap, like alternative rap, pop rap, etc. Are you going to say that The Pharcyde isn't a west coast rap group now? What about Blu? He doesn't really sound "west coast". Gift of Gab?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
Lol what about Wild Thing - Tone Loc? Another contender

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
For the new millenium era I vote for Candyshop by 50 cent it's been sung at a wedding ^^ Rotfl
Proof here:

"Baby got back" "played at weddings"  oh man dude's just killed me, his mind must be so twisted it's a big mess inside his cranium lol.

that's not even a westcoast song  :D

Jaydc

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
real talk jay....you understood what i was sayin
anyday of the year
regulate>>>>>>baby got back and cant touch this and california love
nah im from europe...haha that really makes a difference to some of you....even tho im not

Yeah the terms of what we are discussing isnt actually clear.I mean if getting spins at weddings and being used a novelty is the factor then yes baby got back is among the biggest lol.

Lol, you're exactly what I meant when I said people don't want to give credit to certain songs. Maybe you don't like the song but I don't think novelty has anything do to with it. How do you define what is a novelty and what isn't? Michael Jackson gets played at weddings at well, are you going to call his music a novelty? If you think one song is better than another that's entirely your opinion and has nothing to do with the basis of this thread.

Gangsta rap because incredibly popular because white suburban kids thought it was cool. Non-gangsters making songs about being gangsters for shock value isn't any less of a novelty than a guy talking about girls with big butts. At least Sir Mix a Lot was honest ya know?

Ill give it all the credit it deserves.Through some quick research I notcied that its 2x platinum.California Love is also 2x times platinum and gangters paradise is 2 times platinum.So what makes baby got back got back bigger then them?Because it gets used a novelty at weddings its a bigger song?

Im not basing anything on my opinion,I just know that gangsters paradise,regulate and california love were huge songs and still get play to this day,thats not my opinion thats just what we call a fact.

you don't quite get the point of this thread. It doesn't matter which one you think is a better song

Where did I write which one is better?i quoted sales,and so far you havent quoted anything but your opinion.So maybe its you that doesnt get the thread.

Jaydc

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
Well I wouldnt put regulate over california love.Its clear that its a bigger song then regulate.From single sales,to album sales to current rotation its got regulate beat.

I think the point Im going at mostly is the thread title is biggest westcoast song of the 90s,not what song has continued to be used today.And baby got back isnt what you call a westcoast song,it transcends being called a westcoast song.now you could say that makes it a bigger song because it transcends the label,but thats the very question whats the biggest wescoast song.You could say black eyed peas is the biggest westcoast group,but they transcend that westcoast label they dont make westcoast music they make music.As does cant touch this,yes hes from the bay but cant touch this isnt westcoast music its just plain old music.I mean hell they didnt rule out what genre were talking about so you can research what rock songs came out from groups that were in california and say those were bigger but thats not the discussion in my eyes.

The problem is you assume that West coast rap is only defined by its sound when its not. It's a regional definition, not a type of song. While certain sounds are more common to different regions, they don't define it. Otherwise you would have to cut out everything else that comes out of west coast hip hop. There's a lot of different stuff that comes out of the west besides gangsta rap, like alternative rap, pop rap, etc. Are you going to say that The Pharcyde isn't a west coast rap group now? What about Blu? He doesn't really sound "west coast". Gift of Gab?

The problem is Im going by what the thread starters true intent of the thread is and your going by the look how smart I can make myself look method by quoting artists that arent identified as being westcoast but are from their.I mean most dont even know sir mix a lot is from the west coast so if you went around asking random people what the biggest westcoast 90s song your going to get answers like regulate and california love because thats what they see as being westcoast music.And like i said if we go by your logic we might as well include other genres of music.

Like it or not their is a sound that is identified as being westcoast.Thats why why Dj premier is considered a new york producer when hes from the south.You dont hear people saying premo is the best southern prducer or saying hes produced the best southern music now do you?

THE QUESTION WAS BIGGEST WESTCOAST SONG NOT BIGGEST SONG FROM AN ARTIST THAT HAPPENS TO BE FROM THE WESTCOAST.their is a huge difference,and if the thread starter comes back and Im sure he will identify that as being what he was asking.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:53:54 PM by Jaydc is dying everyday »

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2010, 06:21:35 PM »
another good point jay...most people dont
1.know who sir mix a lot is
2.dont even or havent heard of his song to point it out

id put money on it that a majority have heard cali love and regulate over baby got back....and regulate is better than cali love IMO tho

jay what about still dre? lol

The problem is Im going by what the thread starters true intent of the thread is and your going by the look how smart I can make myself look method by quoting artists that arent identified as being westcoast but are from their.I mean most dont even know sir mix a lot is from the west coast so if you went around asking random people what the biggest westcoast 90s song your going to get answers like regulate and california love because thats what they see as being westcoast music.And like i said if we go by your logic we might as well include other genres of music.

Like it or not their is a sound that is identified as being westcoast.Thats why why Dj premier is considered a new york artist when hes from the south.You dont hear people saying premo is the best southern prducer or saying hes produced the best southern music now do you?

THE QUESTION WAS BIGGEST WESTCOAST SONG NOT BIGGEST SONG FROM AN ARTIST THAT HAPPENS TO BE FROM THE WESTCOAST.their is a huge difference,and if the thread starter comes back and Im sure he will identify that as being what he was asking.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Jaydc

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »
Well Im going to have to disagree with you,i dont know anyone that hasnt heard baby got back.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2010, 06:28:52 PM »
many have but IMO not as much as regulate and mos def not as much as cali love
they prolly didnt even know regulate would become such a dope classic song

Well Im going to have to disagree with you,i dont know anyone that hasnt heard baby got back.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Jaydc

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
Yeah I mean on the same coin I dont know anyone that hasnt heard regulate or california love.

Bananas

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
The idiocy in here is overwhelming. Then again enyce has a lot to say.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »
and your from and live in canada right?

Yeah I mean on the same coin I dont know anyone that hasnt heard regulate or california love.
Cube

Jaydc

« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
Vancouver.Which is only a few hours drive from seattle which is where sir mix a lot is from
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:49:33 PM by Jaydc is dying everyday »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2010, 07:03:57 PM »
lol...im laughin cuz you somehow brought that back to sir mix a lot

Vancouver.Which is only a few hours drive from seattle which is where sir mix a lot is from
Cube

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »
real talk jay....you understood what i was sayin
anyday of the year
regulate>>>>>>baby got back and cant touch this and california love
nah im from europe...haha that really makes a difference to some of you....even tho im not

Yeah the terms of what we are discussing isnt actually clear.I mean if getting spins at weddings and being used a novelty is the factor then yes baby got back is among the biggest lol.

Lol, you're exactly what I meant when I said people don't want to give credit to certain songs. Maybe you don't like the song but I don't think novelty has anything do to with it. How do you define what is a novelty and what isn't? Michael Jackson gets played at weddings at well, are you going to call his music a novelty? If you think one song is better than another that's entirely your opinion and has nothing to do with the basis of this thread.

Gangsta rap because incredibly popular because white suburban kids thought it was cool. Non-gangsters making songs about being gangsters for shock value isn't any less of a novelty than a guy talking about girls with big butts. At least Sir Mix a Lot was honest ya know?

Ill give it all the credit it deserves.Through some quick research I notcied that its 2x platinum.California Love is also 2x times platinum and gangters paradise is 2 times platinum.So what makes baby got back got back bigger then them?Because it gets used a novelty at weddings its a bigger song?

Im not basing anything on my opinion,I just know that gangsters paradise,regulate and california love were huge songs and still get play to this day,thats not my opinion thats just what we call a fact.

you don't quite get the point of this thread. It doesn't matter which one you think is a better song

Where did I write which one is better?i quoted sales,and so far you havent quoted anything but your opinion.So maybe its you that doesnt get the thread.

I was quoting the other guy obviously

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2010, 10:51:21 PM »

Like it or not their is a sound that is identified as being westcoast.Thats why why Dj premier is considered a new york producer when hes from the south.You dont hear people saying premo is the best southern prducer or saying hes produced the best southern music now do you?

Is Blu not wescoast? What about Del or Souls of Mis? Are you saying "Passing Me By" isn't a westcoast song? None of these dudes sound like what you interpret as being "west coast", but they are all the same. Your logic makes zero sense. It's ludicrous to say Blu isn't a west coast rapper, just like its ludicrous to say Sir Mix a Lot isn't a west coast rapper. A song isn't westcoast by its sound, its westcoast because that's where the rapper claims. This should be obvious considering that there are westcoast rappers who are influenced by other sounds and vice versa. For example, Masta Ace's Born to Roll is not a westcoast song, even though it may sound like one.

Primo is identified from being an East coast producer cause THAT IS WHERE HE LIVES AND MAKES MUSIC. If he had never moved to NY would you still be calling his music east coast? Of course not. The same way Pac is identified as a west coast rapper because that is where he lived and claimed while he was making music. It has nothing to do with their sound. Next you're going to tell me that Jay Electronica is an east coast rapper....just admit it, you're coming up with shit cause you don't want to admit you're wrong. A westcoast song does not mean G Funk, it means a song made by a west coast rapper. You're the one trying to be smart and failing. You're wrong and you don't want to admit it.