Author Topic: Drake - Thank Me Later (Discussion)  (Read 2185 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: Drake - Thank Me Later (Discussion)
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2010, 03:17:19 PM »
How did Drake sell out? How did he go "R&B" on this album?

This is exactly the tip he's been on from the jump! How can anyone who liked So Far Gone hate on Thank Me Later? Similar concepts all the way through, rapped verses with a soft r&b breakdown/bridge.

3 days into listening to this, it's exactly what I wanted it to be. He stayed in his zone, didn't experiment, didn"t attempt to force a club banger in there... He did him. I respect that.

Doesn't matter if he sold out or kept it real, the music industry co-signed this guy to be the biggest thing to happen to hip-hop since the microphone was invented. The music industry conspired to build this hype around a Canadian Nickelodeon actor who couldn't decide whether to be an R&B singer or rapper.

Point blank, the guy is the blandest artist out there now.

m-b

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
Man, fear was such a great track. Everything about it was on point. But meh, what can you do? Light Up was by far the best track for me
CHECK OUT our promo vid..

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
so just making music to say oh i stayed in my known lane ='s good to people now? come on now,i think this guy got some talent but all i heard was a safe album,when this album has it's run it's over (no pun),and i think this equal could do way better, but i guess that's what the game is now, em just came out with two safe songs,guess i got to put faith in kanye as a rapper that sells in the mainstream now yell

Well, it works two ways.  Either you try to create something that isn't you, and end up with some awkward "forced' music, that doesn't work for you... Or you make the music you feel like, the music you want to make, and people who fit your niche will know what you're talking about.

I honestly think this is the limits of Drake's ability, I don't think he was "playing it safe", just that this is all he's capable of at this point.  I am betting his second CD will dwarf this effort though.  He needs growth, that's all.

i think it deals with who he works with as the executive producer, i mean if he had one to push him to make better material he could,instead of the kiss asses who say oh this worked for you and it's working for bob so lets do the singing thing more, and with artist in hip hop i always go bacc to two artist b.i.g. and group home, big wasn't really trying to do that gloss rap but what he did with it was still sound ill and make the best pop record possible when he did those joints, and also the group home album, them equals wasn't no great rappers or good rappers but premo and guru production and executive producing that shit made they average rhymes sound better, hell it's even that way with william roberts if the album is put together right even if equals ain't braille'n you as a person or your image or what not they will fucc with your project yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:09 PM »
I'm amazingly confused how the people who are giving this shit a pass are the same ones saying "its not SFG on steroids", "the production is as good as SFG" (so not better), "it sounds like SFG leftovers"  ???  How does that please you? Have hip hop fans lowered there standards THAT much? (And remember, this all comes from me, who LIKES Drake) When your an artist with that much of a buzz, your DEBUT album should not sound like mixtape leftovers.

Why does it have to be So Far Gone on steroids?  Just because Drake described it as that?  So, okay, he failed to reach that accomplishment but it's still dope.  It's not any worse than So Far Gone.  It's on par and in ways it's better.  When you say it's "as good as"  it means that it's not any worst than it but it could be better which I happen to think it is.  I don't think it's So Far Gone production on steroids but I think it's more effective. 

So Far Gone was never really a mixtape.  It was given away for free because nobody knew who he was.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2010, 02:57:34 AM »
Why is it so hard to accept that to some people the album is really good and to some it's average?

Paul

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2010, 04:38:17 AM »
I'm enjoying the album for what it is.

Chilling with a beer listenng to it now.

Kareoke is the best track IMO. The album flows well untill the Swizz track ( which I like )  :-X

I hate nicki minaj.

The Timbaland production was weak.

No need for Alicia Keys.

Just a few thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:49:48 AM by Paul »
funkyfreshintheflesh

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »
I'm very satisfied with the album, I expected this type of music from him and it came out nice IMO. A few of the tracks could've been better, Dream coulda produced the track he was on, Cece's Inter coulda been taken off the album, Nicki Minaj coulda been removed from Up All Night. Those changes would've helped. Aside from the interlude I liked those tracks anyways.

[3.25-4/5] Tracks I really liked: Karaoke, The Resistance, Over, Show Me A Good Time, Fancy, Unforgettable, Light Up, Miss Me, Find Your Love, Thank Me Now

[3/5] Tracks I liked: Fireworks, Up All Night(woulda been ^ there if not for Nicki), Shut It Down

[2.5 & Below] Meh: Cece's Interlude

I'd give it about 3.75/5 close to a 4 cuz I enjoyed a large majority of the album. Before the leak the only tracks I heard was Miss Me & Over. I resisted listening to Light Up, Unforgettable, and Find Your Love, which i'm glad I did, gave the album a better listening experience. I'll be picking this up on the 15th, 2nd buy of the year :laugh:

In terms of debut albums because the comparisons are inevitable

Drake > Fash > Asher Roth >>> KiD CuDi(grown on me, the shit hes been releasing post debut has been fire tho) >>>> B.O.B

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
Why is it so hard to accept that to some people the album is really good and to some it's average?

Because people can't agree to disagree lol. Nah Nima but I feel pretty much the same way you do about the album and this is coming from someone that honestly before the leak only listened to 1, maybe 2 of his songs.

That is the one thing I can say for me I dig about early leaks. If I am not sure about a artist, I will burn it first to check it out.

m-b

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2010, 11:45:12 AM »
And oh btw, If some of you didnt know, the track 9am in Dallas will be a bonus track
CHECK OUT our promo vid..

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2010, 02:04:28 PM »
And oh btw, If some of you didnt know, the track 9am in Dallas will be a bonus track

could be the best song on the album. ;D

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
so just making music to say oh i stayed in my known lane ='s good to people now? come on now,i think this guy got some talent but all i heard was a safe album,when this album has it's run it's over (no pun),and i think this equal could do way better, but i guess that's what the game is now, em just came out with two safe songs,guess i got to put faith in kanye as a rapper that sells in the mainstream now yell

Well, it works two ways.  Either you try to create something that isn't you, and end up with some awkward "forced' music, that doesn't work for you... Or you make the music you feel like, the music you want to make, and people who fit your niche will know what you're talking about.

I honestly think this is the limits of Drake's ability, I don't think he was "playing it safe", just that this is all he's capable of at this point.  I am betting his second CD will dwarf this effort though.  He needs growth, that's all.

i think it deals with who he works with as the executive producer, i mean if he had one to push him to make better material he could,instead of the kiss asses who say oh this worked for you and it's working for bob so lets do the singing thing more, and with artist in hip hop i always go bacc to two artist b.i.g. and group home, big wasn't really trying to do that gloss rap but what he did with it was still sound ill and make the best pop record possible when he did those joints, and also the group home album, them equals wasn't no great rappers or good rappers but premo and guru production and executive producing that shit made they average rhymes sound better, hell it's even that way with william roberts if the album is put together right even if equals ain't braille'n you as a person or your image or what not they will fucc with your project yell

Well Wiki says he exec prod. his own album, so there is the smoking gun right there.  Also, Wayne and Birdman obviously oversaw alot of the project, which also doesn't help you.

The talent and potential is there, just gotta wait for it to develop...

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »

Well, it works two ways.  Either you try to create something that isn't you, and end up with some awkward "forced' music, that doesn't work for you... Or you make the music you feel like, the music you want to make, and people who fit your niche will know what you're talking about.

I honestly think this is the limits of Drake's ability, I don't think he was "playing it safe", just that this is all he's capable of at this point.  I am betting his second CD will dwarf this effort though.  He needs growth, that's all.

Well Wiki says he exec prod. his own album, so there is the smoking gun right there.  Also, Wayne and Birdman obviously oversaw alot of the project, which also doesn't help you.

The talent and potential is there, just gotta wait for it to develop...

drake killed it on his first mixtape, he def has the ability to rap. I think he dumbed his shit down to follow the money making formula (singing on the hook,  easy to remember punchlines, talking about money and fame in his songs etc)

westsiderider323

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »
i went back and did what i said i wasnt gon do i downloaded the grouprip and givin it another spin and the second time around there are a few tracks im feelin i guess im givin this more of a chance then last time the beats are pretty dope drake comes correct on some its an aight album not mind blown but decent

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
drake talking tough about lil kims comments hahahaha this kid know if kim stepped to him he would call the slicc bitches on her,hahaha i hate when cowards talk tough knowing damn well they cream puffs, album is pop and with each listen it doesn't get better, and this guy ain't executive produce this album hahaha birdman will get that checc i put chipper jones on it, these new equals make to many dumb ass statements today to, from jay electronica to this guy,i fuccs with the music but like that skit prodigy had on the infamous album alot of these herbs make you want to just walk up to em and punch em in the mouth on some high school shit foreal yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

MistaNova

« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2010, 06:22:41 AM »
I was originally going to wait until this dropped on the 15th but I couldn't resist the temptation :laugh:.
I thought it was a pretty solid album. "Show Me A Good Time" and "Over" were on replay for most of my day, the rest I either didn't bother to listen to thoroughly yet (Find Your Love) or wished they could've sounded better (Shut It Down).
I did enjoy this enough to convince myself to buy a copy on the 15th though :).