Author Topic: Drake - Thank Me Later (Discussion)  (Read 2186 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: Drake - Thank Me Later (Discussion)
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
Wale's album was weak....I think he can spit, but he needed to switch his flow up on that album...sounded the same on every track

As for THIS album, I don't give a fuck what a nigga says, this shit is actually enjoyable....It's not on that Food & Liquor exitement tip like I was hoping for, but the album is in a lane of its own, and it works IMO

it's in the same lane as a 15 year old girl who just got her learner's permit

TRG

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »
lol Common isnt on "Show Me A Good Time". but Drake sounds just like him in certain spots.

guess my joke failed.

IbblesAndBits

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »
too many female oriented songs. production was decent but the subject matter just ruined it.

shame. could have been a dope record.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »
i see alot of y'all like rappers albums who would sell they mamas just so white folks can like them, i hope you equals like p.m dawn, urban dance squad and groups like that if not yall some hypocrites, a couple of songs are cool but overall with the hype this equal had yall cannot say he matched it even with his own style,stop grade'n on a fucc'n remedial scale with these new equals yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2010, 01:16:33 AM »
How did Drake sell out? How did he go "R&B" on this album?

This is exactly the tip he's been on from the jump! How can anyone who liked So Far Gone hate on Thank Me Later? Similar concepts all the way through, rapped verses with a soft r&b breakdown/bridge.

3 days into listening to this, it's exactly what I wanted it to be. He stayed in his zone, didn't experiment, didn"t attempt to force a club banger in there... He did him. I respect that.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2010, 03:37:34 AM »
After a couple of spins solid album. Wouldn't call it SFG on steroids because it sounds like SFG leftovers. But it's got really nice cohesive vibe, the album flows, it's not just 15 random tracks thrown together. And it's cool to see so many introspective tracks even though he sometimes sounds corny. Too much tracks about chicks too and he really needs to switch up his flow. But he definitely knows how to make an album.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:39:05 AM by Meho »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
How can anyone who liked So Far Gone hate on Thank Me Later?

because it sounds like SFG leftovers.

& basically like Luna's review on this, a bunch of 3/5 songs, just average ass music; maybe a few songs (2-3) to spin here & there when i'm in the mood to, but other than that, it's just "blah".

Lunatic

« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2010, 10:27:55 AM »
Wouldn't call it SFG on steroids because it sounds like SFG leftovers.
That's the problem man  ???

This dude has a serious hype, u 'pose to keep the best shit for your album when your buzz that big. He didn't deliver. This sounds like mixtape throwaways u just said, how could that be a good thing  ???
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
At the very least, the production is as good as So Far Gone.  I don't agree that it's So Far Gone on steroids but it would be appropriate to call it a continuation of the style in So Far Gone.  It's subtler, quiter and more reflective where as So Far Gone was bouncier and more excited.  The tracks almost transition perfectly like an ALBUM SHOULD.  They also all have a similar atmosphere like an ALBUM SHOULD.   That Swizz Beats track really hinders the flow of the album.

Karoke is my personal favorite track on the album.

I hope he takes a couple years before he releases a follow up.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Lunatic

« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »
How can anyone who liked So Far Gone hate on Thank Me Later?

because it sounds like SFG leftovers.

& basically like Luna's review on this, a bunch of 3/5 songs, just average ass music; maybe a few songs (2-3) to spin here & there when i'm in the mood to, but other than that, it's just "blah".
exactly, a bunch of 3/5, average ass music. I haven't heard anything yet that I loved.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2010, 10:38:23 AM »
I haven't heard anything yet that I loved.

yeah, that's the perfect thing to say.

every album usually has a few songs, might even just be one or two, that you can bump for a while; "oh, that's my shit".

but this album has none of that; most of it is a RnB album & he's not all that great of a singer, so i fail to see where some of this love is coming from.

go listen to a Ne-Yo album is you want some good RnB lol.

Reventón Bogotá Rolla

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • High Roller
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2010, 10:38:49 AM »
lol thats what i dont get about these negative reactions... TML is just a thicker SFG, yet everyone seems to think it has nothing on SFG.

The problem is the hype. People bought into it too easiily with the media calling him hip hop's savior.

I still dont think this album is radio friendly,  the content is pretty raw and simple.

2009 Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon: The Guardians

Lunatic

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
I'm amazingly confused how the people who are giving this shit a pass are the same ones saying "its not SFG on steroids", "the production is as good as SFG" (so not better), "it sounds like SFG leftovers"  ???  How does that please you? Have hip hop fans lowered there standards THAT much? (And remember, this all comes from me, who LIKES Drake) When your an artist with that much of a buzz, your DEBUT album should not sound like mixtape leftovers.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »
lol thats what i dont get about these negative reactions... TML is just a thicker SFG, yet everyone seems to think it has nothing on SFG.

The problem is the hype. People bought into it too easiily with the media calling him hip hop's savior.

I still dont think this album is radio friendly,  the content is pretty raw and simple.

but So Far Gone had, "Best I Ever Had", "Successful", "Uptown", "Fear"; those are jams that you can listen to time & time again; shit on this album is just like a half assed version of all of those songs.

Lunatic

« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
but So Far Gone had, "Best I Ever Had", "Successful", "Uptown", "Fear"; those are jams that you can listen to time & time again; shit on this album is just like a half assed version of all of those songs.
For real! I'll admit some of the songs have grown on me with more listens, but this is still disappointing, and these songs got nothin' on "Uptown", "Fear" or "Successful."