Author Topic: Drake - Thank Me Later (Discussion)  (Read 2188 times)

NotoriousTDA

Re: Drake - Thank Me Later (Discussion)
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »
At the very least, the production is as good as So Far Gone.  I don't agree that it's So Far Gone on steroids but it would be appropriate to call it a continuation of the style in So Far Gone.  It's subtler, quiter and more reflective where as So Far Gone was bouncier and more excited.  The tracks almost transition perfectly like an ALBUM SHOULD.  They also all have a similar atmosphere like an ALBUM SHOULD.   That Swizz Beats track really hinders the flow of the album.

Karoke is my personal favorite track on the album.

I hope he takes a couple years before he releases a follow up.

I totally agree. This album is fine with me, everything flows well. Couple tracks are weak for me like Fireworks, Resistance but Karaoke is that jam man. And i think Swizz Beatz won worst hook of the year for his input on this album.

"oh you fancy huh? nail done hair done everything done"

god damn this nigga has lost his mind

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2010, 11:50:17 AM »
Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, Luna. I really enjoy the album, as I said, it's exactly what I wanted it to be. Not because I have low standards, but because a lot of artists have failed to transition from great mixtape to great album, because they forced themselves to switch it up, make a club banger etc etc, but Drake stayed in his line and did what he does best, enjoyable, light hearted yet introspective mood music that you can both put on as background music but also turn up in the headphones and enjoy.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Drake stayed in his line and did what he does best

you mean an average version of what he does best?

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2010, 12:32:31 PM »

wrong...please tell me the difference

MediumL

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »
So this is basically elevator music where you're glad to get off at your floor.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:10 PM »

wrong...please tell me the difference

all the songs me & Luna wrote about before are easily his best songs & he doesn't have anything on his debut album close to them.

go through all the other album discussion threads on this forum & check through the pages, you'll see tons of comments like "oh man, 'Track 5' is my fucking song man!"; you don't have that with this album because nothing stands out.

just think if he would have saved "Successful" for the album or "Fear", either of those songs would of stood out among all of these as a great song.

so basically, everybody saying "this is the same as 'So Far Gone', if you liked that, you gotta like this" isn't making sense to me because the songs on SFG are much better than almost all the songs on here.

Fireworks might be the best song & be real, that song isn't so great.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2010, 12:53:01 PM »
When I said SFG leftovers I didn't mean it in such a negative way. On the one hand it's good that he kept it the same, didn't go too left field (he could have a whole album of that ignorant Young Money shit) but at the same time it's not as good as the mixtape, none of the tracks really stand out (well, maybe the tracks with Alicia, Dream, Jeezy and Jay). BUT even with that he showed a lot of the so called real MC's how to create an album that flows from top to bottom and is cohesive.

And Lunatic are you sure you're not being so judgmental just because of the natural comparison of Drake and B.O.B. and with general reception for B.O.B.'s debut being very unfavorable. Because I know your taste and all of a sudden some things bother you with Drake that don't bother you with other artists you're so fond of.

Lunatic

« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2010, 01:04:48 PM »
Guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree, Luna. I really enjoy the album, as I said, it's exactly what I wanted it to be. Not because I have low standards, but because a lot of artists have failed to transition from great mixtape to great album, because they forced themselves to switch it up, make a club banger etc etc, but Drake stayed in his line and did what he does best, enjoyable, light hearted yet introspective mood music that you can both put on as background music but also turn up in the headphones and enjoy.
Yes sir, we can definitely agree to disagree. I will say I see your point of him not "forcing" a switch up on here. That's a good thing.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lunatic

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2010, 01:08:17 PM »
When I said SFG leftovers I didn't mean it in such a negative way. On the one hand it's good that he kept it the same, didn't go too left field (he could have a whole album of that ignorant Young Money shit) but at the same time it's not as good as the mixtape, none of the tracks really stand out (well, maybe the tracks with Alicia, Dream, Jeezy and Jay). BUT even with that he showed a lot of the so called real MC's how to create an album that flows from top to bottom and is cohesive.

And Lunatic are you sure you're not being so judgmental just because of the natural comparison of Drake and B.O.B. and with general reception for B.O.B.'s debut being very unfavorable. Because I know your taste and all of a sudden some things bother you with Drake that don't bother you with other artists you're so fond of.
I see your point of keeping it the same and not going left field and that is indeed a good thing. He made "Drake" music instead of trying to force something. But at the same time, like Chamill said, I have a problem that other "Drake style" music released in the past such as "Successful" and "Fear" would be the two best songs on this album.

Not sure why your bringing up B.o.B., your making this too complex with the B.o.B thing while I'm keeping it simple. This is a lot of 3/5 music imo. Whether it's typical Drake or left field, it's too much 3/5 where-as there are some "Drake style" songs that he's released on mixtapes that are 5/5.

I could care less what people think about B.o.B.'s album and it doesn't cause me to judge music any differently than I ever have. At least B.o.B. had some stand out songs (Airplanes, The Kids, etc.)

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »
Over is the best song..

I think you guys expected a more uptempo production choice.  If you put some of these lyrics on some more bouncier or COMPLETE beats, the Hip-Hop heads would eat it more. 

I knew the limits of Drake's lyrical ability, and I knew it would make this album subpar for the hype he got..  Dunno if anyone picked up on that, but when you get a full album of it, it is quite clear..  His style really does sound like an offspring of today's Lil Wayne... 

I don't see a difference in the subject content or delivery of these songs compared to the other "good" songs you guys are mentioning from So Far Gone, etc.  There is just no production that is "making" the songs on this CD.  With the exception of Fear, where he made the song, his production has masked him a fair bit, like it or not...

3.5/5 - Whether you're a casual listener, or you have a niche for him.  Not a solid effort, but one you would expect from a young debut artist that came up more from connects than skill.

I will still look forward to a sophomore effort, I expect either a more Hip-Hop sounding album, or a more polished sound of that what appeared on Thank Me Later.   Drake has alot of evolving and learning to do, I can already read the interviews a year from now where he talks about what was missing on this album. 

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2010, 01:36:18 PM »
so just making music to say oh i stayed in my known lane ='s good to people now? come on now,i think this guy got some talent but all i heard was a safe album,when this album has it's run it's over (no pun),and i think this equal could do way better, but i guess that's what the game is now, em just came out with two safe songs,guess i got to put faith in kanye as a rapper that sells in the mainstream now yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »
so just making music to say oh i stayed in my known lane ='s good to people now? come on now,i think this guy got some talent but all i heard was a safe album,when this album has it's run it's over (no pun),and i think this equal could do way better, but i guess that's what the game is now, em just came out with two safe songs,guess i got to put faith in kanye as a rapper that sells in the mainstream now yell

Well, it works two ways.  Either you try to create something that isn't you, and end up with some awkward "forced' music, that doesn't work for you... Or you make the music you feel like, the music you want to make, and people who fit your niche will know what you're talking about.

I honestly think this is the limits of Drake's ability, I don't think he was "playing it safe", just that this is all he's capable of at this point.  I am betting his second CD will dwarf this effort though.  He needs growth, that's all.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 01:55:32 PM »
@Luna. Ok then. I just got the feeling you were being extra critical in some aspects that is in contrast with your usual taste/ posting history.

Speaking of sophomore albums and longevity, I don't think that Drake has it in him. The hype will die down in a year or two and he doesn't seem to have anything else to rap about that money, bitches and fame and that will get old quick especially with such one dimensional rap flow.

Lunatic

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
@Luna. Ok then. I just got the feeling you were being extra critical in some aspects that is in contrast with your usual taste/ posting history.

Speaking of sophomore albums and longevity, I don't think that Drake has it in him. The hype will die down in a year or two and he doesn't seem to have anything else to rap about that money, bitches and fame and that will get old quick especially with such one dimensional rap flow.
Yes sir.

80% of it is marketing. Drake has DOPE marketing. I think he'll be alright.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »

That's all 50 rapped about.. Again, it will come down to him evolving his penmanship, so that he can "make" a song with his lyrics, something he did not do here; and the production of the beats themselves.  I have no problem with the choice of producers, but the beats need to be more polished for him to succeed.

And obviously as he gets older he is gonna experience more shit and have new views.  Whoever said he should wait longer than usual to release his next effort is right.  Alot of growth as a person and as an artist should happen before he puts something out.