Author Topic: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)  (Read 13194 times)

quiksta80

• 'G'
Re: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »
I just heard recovery all the way through and I have to say I think relapse is by far a way better album. Yes relapse had the accent thing going on but i think the accent was way more annoying in encore then it was in relapse. The beats were still banging and the rhymes were tight in relapse. Recovery the beats are mediocore, i don't dig the singing he does a lot on the album and I dont prefer a eminem that yells his raps on almost every song.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »
On a second listen I like it less than I did the first time.  It's hard to listen to a track all the way through because of the whiny choruses they've used from both Eminem and the guest features.

I enjoyed Lil Wayne more than I did most of Eminem's rhymes on this release. 

I think what Shallow was getting at is there's something missing in this album.  It's like the spark, the rawness, the energy of life isn't here.  It's got the perfect get up but it all feels fake.

Eminem was his best on tracks like Lose Yourself, Run Rabbit Run, Beautiful, etc.  All of them captured the spirit and the track fully translated energy unlike this album.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Paul

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2010, 09:42:03 AM »
I dont have Cinderella man on mine  >:(

funkyfreshintheflesh

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:46 AM »
You guys really need to go download Bob Dylan's first 5 albums. What's the point of debating music if all you like is the novelty of it. "It's got a good beat I can bump to it". If music doesn't speak to me I don't want to hear it. That being said, nothing on Recovery "speaks" to me. And I don't mean some pseudo serious diatribe about changing the world. Just give me something real, and I'm sorry but Wild Wild West ain't it. If it's not coming from the heart then what is the point. And I don't just mean lyrics.

Kill You isn't from the heart and doesn't speak to anyone. As a matter of fact most of Eminem's music isn't intended to be taken seriously. I don't see how you can feel that way and still be a fan of Eminem considering a lot of his music is made for its shock value.

Music is music because of the way it sounds. Lyrics that "speak to you" won't make a song a good piece of music. You also need it to sound good. While I agree that the best songs can do both, production is always more important when it comes to music. Real lyrics over shitty production doesn't make better music than "fake" lyrics over great production. After all, if it were just about the lyrics we might as well all go and listen to spoken word artists and forget this hip hop nonsense.

You clearly did not understand my point at all. Re-read my post and then play the link I added and then get back to me.

I dont have Cinderella man on mine  >:(

Ha ha.

Paul

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
^^^ LOL

I hope someone takes that as a hint  ;)
funkyfreshintheflesh

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:11 AM »
Finally got the time to check this, just listened to the first 5 tracks; Cold Winter and Talking To Myself are great, really great. But On Fire and W.T.P. are average. Will listen to the rest soon and drop some thoughts later on. I don't think that 320 rip is legit btw, just re encoded.

And oh, that Kobe hook is the shit, never though him and Em could work

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »
You guys really need to go download Bob Dylan's first 5 albums. What's the point of debating music if all you like is the novelty of it. "It's got a good beat I can bump to it". If music doesn't speak to me I don't want to hear it. That being said, nothing on Recovery "speaks" to me. And I don't mean some pseudo serious diatribe about changing the world. Just give me something real, and I'm sorry but Wild Wild West ain't it. If it's not coming from the heart then what is the point. And I don't just mean lyrics.

Kill You isn't from the heart and doesn't speak to anyone. As a matter of fact most of Eminem's music isn't intended to be taken seriously. I don't see how you can feel that way and still be a fan of Eminem considering a lot of his music is made for its shock value.

Music is music because of the way it sounds. Lyrics that "speak to you" won't make a song a good piece of music. You also need it to sound good. While I agree that the best songs can do both, production is always more important when it comes to music. Real lyrics over shitty production doesn't make better music than "fake" lyrics over great production. After all, if it were just about the lyrics we might as well all go and listen to spoken word artists and forget this hip hop nonsense.

You clearly did not understand my point at all. Re-read my post and then play the link I added and then get back to me.

Didn't see your link cause I have flash blocker on. Now that I have, it makes even less sense. You go from talking about Dre and Em rapping about a movie to the theme song from Pulp Fiction?? Where you are going with this?

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2010, 10:12:06 AM »
Finally got the time to check this, just listened to the first 5 tracks; Cold Winter and Talking To Myself are great, really great. But On Fire and W.T.P. are average. Will listen to the rest soon and drop some thoughts later on. I don't think that 320 rip is legit btw, just re encoded.

And oh, that Kobe hook is the shit, never though him and Em could work

I just downloaded 320 version, not too much difference on my headphones, I guess you are right. Probably just re-encoded. Drop the info when VBR comes out or real 320.

Cold Wind Blows is great indeed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Blood$

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2010, 10:13:57 AM »
after one listen, it's a decent album... much better than Relapse in terms of lyrics, flow, and subject matter but the production wasn't as great

tracks I'll bump for now:

Cold Wind Blows
Talkin' 2 Myself (Feat. Kobe)
On Fire
Going Through Changes
Not Afraid
Seduction
No Love (Feat. Lil Wayne)
So Bad
Almost Famous

Brown Guy

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • I type with my dick so forgive me for the typos
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:27 AM »
I listen to it lastnight and today. Its growing on me. I like the feel of the album and enjoy the shift. I think that Rihanna song is going to be a big hit.
I think this album has a shit load of cross over songs that can be played on TOP40/HipHop/Rock stations.

4.5/5 for the whole album

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
Bumped it a lot today and in the midst of writing my DUBCNN review. What I will say in here is that I feel that, beneath the "I'm back, it's the old me" veneer, Recovery is a really inappropriate title. From a personal standpoint, Em sounds like he's in one of the worst spots of his life. I guess that helps me to understand why "Not Afraid" sounded so forced and oddly insincere, despite its strong(ish) lyrics.

To take a line straight from the draft of my review, it worries me how Eminem's career trajectory so closely mirrors Elvis'. What was once a running joke now looks increasingly like a grave concern.

I love what I've heard and Em is as vivid and involving as ever, but when he's this troubled that's almost to a detriment. You're really left hoping that he can pull himself together and find solace. I realize that to a lot of people who found Relapse underwhelming, Recovery could be taken as a reference to his MC skills. But, again, emotionally Em seems far from recuperated.
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2010, 10:19:50 AM »
anyone checked this leak:

Eminem-Recovery-2010-DOH

Eminem - Recovery

Release Date.: 2010-06-08
Store Date...: 2010-06-22
Source.......: CD
Style........: Hip-Hop
Record Label.: Interscope
Cat Nr.......: B0014411-02
Encoder......: Lame 3.97 (-V2 --vbr-new)
Quality......: 192kbps avg / 44.1KHz / Joint Stereo

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »
Bumped it a lot today and in the midst of writing my DUBCNN review. What I will say in here is that I feel that, beneath the "I'm back, it's the old me" veneer, Recovery is a really inappropriate title. From a personal standpoint, Em sounds like he's in one of the worst spots of his life. I guess that helps me to understand why "Not Afraid" sounded so forced and oddly insincere, despite its strong(ish) lyrics.

To take a line straight from the draft of my review, it worries me how Eminem's career trajectory so closely mirrors Elvis'. What was once a running joke now looks increasingly like a grave concern.

I love what I've heard and Em is as vivid and involving as ever, but when he's this troubled that's almost to a detriment. You're really left hoping that he can pull himself together and find solace. I realize that to a lot of people who found Relapse underwhelming, Recovery could be taken as a reference to his MC skills. But, again, emotionally Em seems far from recuperated.

Some things u say are solid . Other then that I think LSD is no stranger to you...

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
spun for the 3rd time, it's really good lol.

i personally feel if there was no production credits & we didn't know who produced anything, people wouldn't be complaining; i can't name a bad beat off the top of my head besides "Not Afraid".

& the Rihanna song was actually pretty ill.

i feel like some of you are being pretty critical; go through ALL the other album discussions & most of you usually just write "oh, this is hot" or "this is trash"; that's exaggerration, but you know what i mean, you don't give HALF the effort in a review; but this, now we're debating if he's making music from the heart & if it sounds real, etc etc.

if you're not feeling the album, the vibe it sheds or whatever, that's one thing; but to go out of your way to call it "trash" is a bit much lol.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2010, 10:44:11 AM »

Man this is fire  ;D and I don't say that lightly. I really really like this, damn strong songs on here
Even Lyrical G likes it  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:48:56 AM by virtuoso »