Author Topic: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)  (Read 13205 times)

westsiderider323

Re: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2010, 10:53:40 AM »
is it just me that thinks that at least 90% of the album is dope?  ???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:05:40 AM by Don Blunt Tyme Corleone wipes his ass with a celtrick jersey »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
i've only heard some of the album and the shit is pretty wack to me.  i guess i'm just not vibing with Eminem like that anymore.  not to say that it's wack but it's wack.  decent in other words.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »
i actually somewhat agree with shallow about MMLP despite the fact of how much i loved it, and what i meant to me at the time it came out, i was 14... there are a lot of skipables on there, anoying skits, i never understood Remember Me (or RBX for that matter, he is anoying as fuck), drug ballad is like a bad cum on everybody (which isnt that great), i actually like amytiville, and kim, as retarded as it is, is novelty as hell, and i like sslp more, ...  oh and this album, ill listen to it later, i really have not much interest.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »
is just me that thinks that at least 90% of the album is dope?  ???

"Won't Back Down" is probably the worst song on this album & i can get through that song because i'm down with the flow; so overall it's more than 90%. :P

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »

Man this is fire  ;D and I don't say that lightly. I really really like this, damn strong songs on here
Even Lyrical G likes it  ;)
the world is going to end ;D

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2010, 11:05:08 AM »
is just me that thinks that at least 90% of the album is dope?  ???

Nope I really like this

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
Bumped it a lot today and in the midst of writing my DUBCNN review. What I will say in here is that I feel that, beneath the "I'm back, it's the old me" veneer, Recovery is a really inappropriate title. From a personal standpoint, Em sounds like he's in one of the worst spots of his life. I guess that helps me to understand why "Not Afraid" sounded so forced and oddly insincere, despite its strong(ish) lyrics.

To take a line straight from the draft of my review, it worries me how Eminem's career trajectory so closely mirrors Elvis'. What was once a running joke now looks increasingly like a grave concern.

I love what I've heard and Em is as vivid and involving as ever, but when he's this troubled that's almost to a detriment. You're really left hoping that he can pull himself together and find solace. I realize that to a lot of people who found Relapse underwhelming, Recovery could be taken as a reference to his MC skills. But, again, emotionally Em seems far from recuperated.

Some things u say are solid . Other then that I think LSD is no stranger to you...

Ha! Nah, nothing like that, man. Just a big-time Em supporter - apologies if I'm being too analytical. To try and explain my points:

The Elvis comparison has obviously been around forever. I just find that now it's taken a negative connotation, considering that Elvis also shared a dependancy to prescription medicine. He also reached a point near the end of his career (and life) where he felt like he still had something to prove. Seems like Em is veering close to that point in his career also. Not saying that the two paths are identical or anything like that - just that there are some bad similarities.

As for his emotional state, I could point to about half the album in support of what I was saying. "Talkin' To Myself" and "Going Through Changes" seem like good enough starting points though. His talent is still incredible, but Em nonetheless comes across as totally depressed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:16:46 AM by Conan »
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
i actually think its a grower, i didnt really wanted to listen to it second time, but i do want to hear it third time

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:41 AM »
Bumped it a lot today and in the midst of writing my DUBCNN review. What I will say in here is that I feel that, beneath the "I'm back, it's the old me" veneer, Recovery is a really inappropriate title. From a personal standpoint, Em sounds like he's in one of the worst spots of his life. I guess that helps me to understand why "Not Afraid" sounded so forced and oddly insincere, despite its strong(ish) lyrics.

To take a line straight from the draft of my review, it worries me how Eminem's career trajectory so closely mirrors Elvis'. What was once a running joke now looks increasingly like a grave concern.

I love what I've heard and Em is as vivid and involving as ever, but when he's this troubled that's almost to a detriment. You're really left hoping that he can pull himself together and find solace. I realize that to a lot of people who found Relapse underwhelming, Recovery could be taken as a reference to his MC skills. But, again, emotionally Em seems far from recuperated.

Some things u say are solid . Other then that I think LSD is no stranger to you...

Ha! Nah, not at all, man. Just a big-time Em supporter - apologies if I'm being too analytical. To try and explain my points:

The Elvis comparison has obviously been around forever. I just find that now it's taken a negative connotation, considering that Elvis also shared a dependancy to prescription medicine. He also reached a point near the end of his career (and life) where he felt like he still had something to prove. Seems like Em is veering close to that point in his career also.

As for his emotional state, I could point to about half the album in support of what I was saying. "Talkin' To Myself" and "Going Through Changes" seem like good enough starting points though. His talent is still incredible, but Em nonetheless comes across as totally depressed.

;D

Both Elvis (then) and Em (now) had to sth to offer at that point of their career if you are looking it from that perspective.( Elvis just died too soon because he didnt want to get embarrassed that fans would know what kind of bowel problems he had,that was the real cause for his death,.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Paul

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
Beat for On Fire is  :o

I enjoyed most of the album. On my Second spin of the whole thing now.

I hate Wont Back Down - Should have been alot better.

The Kobe hook is the best on the album.

I like the laid back feel of 25 To Life and Almost Famous

Your Never Over is horrible. The hook is a mess.

I like the track with Wayne when i thought i wouldnt.
funkyfreshintheflesh

Lucifuge

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
that Havoc track"White trash party" is Ill..real benger 8) 8)
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

westsiderider323

« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2010, 11:22:08 AM »
is just me that thinks that at least 90% of the album is dope?  ???

"Won't Back Down" is probably the worst song on this album & i can get through that song because i'm down with the flow; so overall it's more than 90%. :P

wont back down is prolly one of my favorite tracks on there i like the whole rock/rap thing pink actually is decent on it

anyone checked this leak:

Eminem-Recovery-2010-DOH

Eminem - Recovery

Release Date.: 2010-06-08
Store Date...: 2010-06-22
Source.......: CD
Style........: Hip-Hop
Record Label.: Interscope
Cat Nr.......: B0014411-02
Encoder......: Lame 3.97 (-V2 --vbr-new)
Quality......: 192kbps avg / 44.1KHz / Joint Stereo

yea just downloaded it its the grouprip

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2010, 11:25:53 AM »

I will be buying this album while sterling actually buys me something  ;D

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2010, 11:26:10 AM »

Ha! Nah, not at all, man. Just a big-time Em supporter - apologies if I'm being too analytical. To try and explain my points:

The Elvis comparison has obviously been around forever. I just find that now it's taken a negative connotation, considering that Elvis also shared a dependancy to prescription medicine. He also reached a point near the end of his career (and life) where he felt like he still had something to prove. Seems like Em is veering close to that point in his career also.

;D

Both Elvis (then) and Em (now) had to sth to offer at that point of their career if you are looking it from that perspective.( Elvis just died too soon because he didnt want to get embarrassed that fans would know what kind of bowel problems he had,that was the real cause for his death,.)

Absolutely. I still think Em has something to offer and I think that lyrically he is sometimes as sharp as ever on here. It's just a shame that it comes at the expense of such a messed-up background. As clever as a lot of the "joke" punchlines are, a lot of them just seem laboured and halfhearted. I don't feel like he's really into them, but then maybe that's just me.

Of course, Em's never exactly been a "happy go lucky" guy!
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »
You guys really need to go download Bob Dylan's first 5 albums. What's the point of debating music if all you like is the novelty of it. "It's got a good beat I can bump to it". If music doesn't speak to me I don't want to hear it. That being said, nothing on Recovery "speaks" to me. And I don't mean some pseudo serious diatribe about changing the world. Just give me something real, and I'm sorry but Wild Wild West ain't it. If it's not coming from the heart then what is the point. And I don't just mean lyrics.

Kill You isn't from the heart and doesn't speak to anyone. As a matter of fact most of Eminem's music isn't intended to be taken seriously. I don't see how you can feel that way and still be a fan of Eminem considering a lot of his music is made for its shock value.

Music is music because of the way it sounds. Lyrics that "speak to you" won't make a song a good piece of music. You also need it to sound good. While I agree that the best songs can do both, production is always more important when it comes to music. Real lyrics over shitty production doesn't make better music than "fake" lyrics over great production. After all, if it were just about the lyrics we might as well all go and listen to spoken word artists and forget this hip hop nonsense.

You clearly did not understand my point at all. Re-read my post and then play the link I added and then get back to me.

Didn't see your link cause I have flash blocker on. Now that I have, it makes even less sense. You go from talking about Dre and Em rapping about a movie to the theme song from Pulp Fiction?? Where you are going with this?

Where I'm going is that for a song to speak to me or come from the heart it doesn't have to come right out and say a whole lot or in Dick Dale's case say anything at all. It's something real that you feel and just put out. Not something you have to think about first then create based on the pre-conceived idea. That song from Wild West is a shitty attempt at cowboy rap.

Now I'm a big outlaw country, alt country, and old country fan so when I hear that music that Dre and Em rap over it's sounds so cheesy. About as cheesy to me as Cowboy Troy would sound to rap fans. If I want to hear a country song about a bad ass I'll listen to Charlie Daniels. Here's a great Jimmy Dean cover.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ0ItH32O7Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YZ0ItH32O7Y</a>

Bad guys Always Die or Showdown or whatever is novelty. There's no emotion in the music or the rapping, and there isn't supposed to be. Kill You was not one of the tracks I mentioned as a solid stand out, but Kill You is a lot deeper than it lets on. There's a lot of frustration and anger than goes with all the jokes. Both in the rapping and the music. Way better Eminem on the mic and way better Dre behind the boards.

by the way

this is Cowboy Troy if you didn't catch the reference

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xto4PzDHLQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5xto4PzDHLQ</a>