Author Topic: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)  (Read 13020 times)

westside159

Re: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #390 on: June 15, 2010, 02:03:19 AM »
Recovery - average album hits and misses
Relapse - not very replayable , it wasnt that good
Encore - Worst album , i liked maybe 1 song
The Eminem Show -  Classic to me
MMLP - Very good
SSLP - Classic
Infinite - Really good

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #391 on: June 15, 2010, 03:31:58 AM »
I'm sorry with some MCs, when you put their wack material in contrast to all of hip-hop, it's not really wack.

Whack music is whack music.  Again, an artist shouldn't get a pass just because of past accolades.  You have to earn the praise of your music, each and every time.

I know you feel that way so it's cool.  I'm not really looking for a prolonged discussion but I do disagree. 

Let me just get this out of the way, I don't listen to music like you do.   I rarely every just hear "bad music" and then "good music."  In all, or most music, I can see positive qualities and then negative qualities.  There's a lot of music released and will continue to be released.  Just because an artist releases a poor album (for them) it doesn't mean it's wack on the scale of music.  I don't think it justifies them getting a pass and slacking but it doesn't mean that the poorer material they have is so bad it's wack.   That's all I feel like typing about this.  Hope you grasp what I'm conveying and how I listen to music.

So I think you're saying: A good album from an artist you don't prefer is decent to you.  And a bad album from an artist you prefer is also decent? 

So Eminem can put out an album that isn't what we have grown to love and adore him for.. One that isn't why we have come to call him one of the best.. And it's okay?

The fact that we are saying this is "poor" by anyone's standards means there is a degree of whackness in the music..

If he puts out three albums that aren't upto "Eminem's standard", don't these 3 most recent albums become his new standard?

He has put out 3 good, and then 3 bad albums. 

And so if his new standard is "average" music, why should we get so excited about him anymore? 

It is because people are giving him a pass, there is no Eminem standard.  If you hold standards per artist, you never allow yourself to hear a bad song from them..  To me your post is saying that just because it's Eminem, judging on all his past great songs, a bad song form him will still be decent.  Like it's not possible for a shitty artist to become a good one, and vice versa?  I don't believe that.  That's why it's better to hold a "good music to whack music" standard. 

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #392 on: June 15, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »
I'm sorry with some MCs, when you put their wack material in contrast to all of hip-hop, it's not really wack.

Whack music is whack music.  Again, an artist shouldn't get a pass just because of past accolades.  You have to earn the praise of your music, each and every time.

I know you feel that way so it's cool.  I'm not really looking for a prolonged discussion but I do disagree. 

Let me just get this out of the way, I don't listen to music like you do.   I rarely every just hear "bad music" and then "good music."  In all, or most music, I can see positive qualities and then negative qualities.  There's a lot of music released and will continue to be released.  Just because an artist releases a poor album (for them) it doesn't mean it's wack on the scale of music.  I don't think it justifies them getting a pass and slacking but it doesn't mean that the poorer material they have is so bad it's wack.   That's all I feel like typing about this.  Hope you grasp what I'm conveying and how I listen to music.

So I think you're saying: A good album from an artist you don't prefer is decent to you.  And a bad album from an artist you prefer is also decent? 

So Eminem can put out an album that isn't what we have grown to love and adore him for.. One that isn't why we have come to call him one of the best.. And it's okay?

The fact that we are saying this is "poor" by anyone's standards means there is a degree of whackness in the music..

If he puts out three albums that aren't upto "Eminem's standard", don't these 3 most recent albums become his new standard?

And so if his new standard is "average" music, why should we get so excited about him anymore? 

It is because people are giving him a pass, there is no Eminem standard.  If you hold standards per artist, you never allow yourself to hear a bad song from them..  To me your post is saying that just because it's Eminem, judging on all his past great songs, a bad song form him will still be decent.  Like it's not possible for a shitty artist to become a good one, and vice versa?  I don't believe that.  That's why it's better to hold a "good music to whack music" standard. 

A good album from an artist you don't prefer is decent to you.  And a bad album from an artist you prefer is also decent?

Yeah, that's a nice little summary.  Like take a cat like T.I who, for the most part, I don't enjoy listening to.  It doesn't mean it's bad.  It just means I don't like it.  Where as an album from Nas can be released and be very disappointing for Nas but I can still enjoy it more than T.I album.  I'm essentially arguing it's all subjective and that one can make some core arguments about the quality of the music that's objective (tends to more technical such as production, mixing, notes, vocals, word usage) but even there's still subjectivity in that.   

Look, I'm not a very traditional Eminem fan.  I didn't enjoy an album by him until Eminem Show.  I loved Encore and though Relapse was phenomenal until he spoke publically about intentions for it.  So, that means I don't enjoy or listen to Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, or Recovery (though I have given them all many spins).  I don't even agree with your standard of his 3 good albums and his 3 bad albums so how can we even agree on what is wack? 

My point goes beyond Eminem to artist like Nas (who is more fitting for me because I have no problem bumping his entire catalog).  Nas can release subpar release that's disappointing for Nas but still be good in comparison to another artist album.  So, the fact that Untitled felt disjointed, weighed down by poor beat doesn't mean it's a bad album but it had bad qualities yet it still remains listenable and enjoyable. 

I'm not denying there's problems with the disappointing albums released by artist.  I admit to them but also recognize despite these flaws I can enjoy it on another level.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

cityhunters

• 'G'
« Reply #393 on: June 15, 2010, 12:52:30 PM »
New Call of Duty trailer with "won't back down" music
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_4kvSIIWqEs&amp;hl" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_4kvSIIWqEs&amp;hl</a>
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:02:58 PM by cityhunters »

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #394 on: June 15, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »

Recovery - below average album. nothing great here, some good songs, more terrible songs. beats not so great. his worst album to date
Relapse - a very replayable cd it was in my changer 6 months straight ,great production aswell as a album that flowed from song to song
Encore - below average cd. not as bad as people make it tho, some good songs some terrible. atleast it was funny at times
The Eminem Show - very good album. great cd
MMLP - classic
SSLP - Classic
Infinite - never really got into it. it an ok underground first cd

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #395 on: June 15, 2010, 04:19:42 PM »
this is a good album to play if your feeling down.  good beats and on point lyrics.  eminem is just old to me.  the second half of the album is where it hits the downslope.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:22:31 PM by Man Of Many Words »

westside159

« Reply #396 on: June 15, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Recovery - average album hits and misses
Relapse - not very replayable , it wasnt that good
Encore - Worst album , i liked maybe 1 song
The Eminem Show -  Classic to me
MMLP - Very good
SSLP - Classic
Infinite - Really good

yep

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »
The Slim Shady LP isn't a classic.  Marshall Mathers LP BOMBS all over that album.  

- The Eminem Show
- Marshall Mathers LP
- Infinite
- Recovery
- The Slim Shady LP/Encore/Relapse (tie).  Encore a lil something but Relapse had better beats and SSLP was fresh but it wasn't anything special IMO except for a few standout tracks.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:02:45 PM by Man Of Many Words »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
Slim Shady LP:

My Name Is - A song that Eminem will be remembered for; a classic Hip Hop single.
Guilty Conscience - The definition of creativity & easily a classic.
Brain Damage - I don't know how anyone could front on this song, just amazing spit from start to finish.
If I Had... - A "real shit" kind of song.
Role Model - Personal classic of a song; ill message.
My Fault - A silly song, but it's enjoyable. Chill/Laidback beat.
Cum On Everybody - Alright, hit or miss song; I guess his fans would enjoy this moreso.
Rock Bottom - Sick song.
Just Don't Give A Fuck - Classic Slim.
As The World Turns -
I'm Shady - An improved "My Fault", in my opinion. Just a really chill song to kick it to.
Bad Meets Evil - Classic Slim & Royce; BRING THESE DAYS BACK!
Still Don't Give A Fuck - To me, this is one of his best songs ever.

So overall, I see a lot of classic songs throughout this album; not as dark a feel as The Marshall Mathers LP or as content filled as The Eminem Show & production wise it's probably a notch below both but I think it's his second best album & surely a classic.

Putting it in the same league as Relapse & Encore is a joke to me.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
Slim Shady LP:

My Name Is - A song that Eminem will be remembered for; a classic Hip Hop single.
Brain Damage - I don't know how anyone could front on this song, just amazing spit from start to finish.
Cum On Everybody - Alright, hit or miss song; I guess his fans would enjoy this moreso.
Rock Bottom - Sick song.
As The World Turns -
I'm Shady - An improved "My Fault", in my opinion. Just a really chill song to kick it to.

So overall, I see a lot of classic songs throughout this album; not as dark a feel as The Marshall Mathers LP or as content filled as The Eminem Show & production wise it's probably a notch below both but I think it's his second best album & surely a classic.

a lot of classic songs? LMAO, Nas wasn't lying, hip hop is dead
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2010, 05:41:22 PM »
Slim Shady LP:

Rock Bottom - Sick song.
As The World Turns -

yeah, that quote makes a lot of sense considering he said that years after this album was made. ::)

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #401 on: June 15, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
Slim Shady LP:

Rock Bottom - Sick song.
As The World Turns -

yeah, that quote makes a lot of sense considering he said that years after this album was made. ::)

Recovery is more of  a gimmick album then you people claim Relapse to be and don't even realize it

and Nas saying that, he was also talking about the future (everything after that album came out)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #402 on: June 15, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
^are you high?

read my original post, i was reviewing The Slim Shady LP lol.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #403 on: June 15, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
^are you high?

read my original post, i was reviewing The Slim Shady LP lol.

oh damn LMAO

anyway: MMLP>>>EM Show>>SSLP>Relapse>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Recovery>>>>>>>>>>>Encore

that's EMs career

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #404 on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »

A good album from an artist you don't prefer is decent to you.  And a bad album from an artist you prefer is also decent?

Yeah, that's a nice little summary.  Like take a cat like T.I who, for the most part, I don't enjoy listening to.  It doesn't mean it's bad.  It just means I don't like it.  Where as an album from Nas can be released and be very disappointing for Nas but I can still enjoy it more than T.I album.  I'm essentially arguing it's all subjective and that one can make some core arguments about the quality of the music that's objective (tends to more technical such as production, mixing, notes, vocals, word usage) but even there's still subjectivity in that.   

Look, I'm not a very traditional Eminem fan.  I didn't enjoy an album by him until Eminem Show.  I loved Encore and though Relapse was phenomenal until he spoke publically about intentions for it.  So, that means I don't enjoy or listen to Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, or Recovery (though I have given them all many spins).  I don't even agree with your standard of his 3 good albums and his 3 bad albums so how can we even agree on what is wack? 

My point goes beyond Eminem to artist like Nas (who is more fitting for me because I have no problem bumping his entire catalog).  Nas can release subpar release that's disappointing for Nas but still be good in comparison to another artist album.  So, the fact that Untitled felt disjointed, weighed down by poor beat doesn't mean it's a bad album but it had bad qualities yet it still remains listenable and enjoyable. 

I'm not denying there's problems with the disappointing albums released by artist.  I admit to them but also recognize despite these flaws I can enjoy it on another level.

Big props my equal.