Author Topic: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)  (Read 13030 times)

Matty

Re: Eminem - Recovery (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
let it be known its a pretty average album maybe a bit better than relapse. relapse with the cleaner sounding production. sounds pretty forced most of the time, those bonus tracks from relapse (my darling, be careful what you wish for and deja vu too) are prolly his best new material.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:54:14 PM by Matty »

So Much Style

« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »
1. Cold Wind Blows - 4.25/5

2. Talkin' to Myself - 4/5

3. On Fire - 4/5

4. Won't Back Down - 3/5

5. W.T.P. - 3.75/5   (track would be ill if not for the chorus!!)

6. Going though Changes - 4.5/5

7. Not Afraid - 3.75/5

8. Seduction - 3/5

9. No Love - 3.5/5

10. Space Bound - 2.5/5   wtf come on

11. Cinderella Man - 3/5  horrible chorus or it would be ill

12. 25 to Life - 4.25/5

13. So Bad - 4.5/5   the accent is back!! this is def a relapse leftover. wish we had more dre beats!

14. Almost Famous - 4.5/5

15. I Love the Way you Lie - 3/5  wtf...but its not THAT bad

16. You're Never Over - 2/5   ugh.

17. Bonus - 5 /5   Best track!! yeah havik!!! em went off
best tracks: untitled, almost famous, so bad, 25 to life, going thru changes, on fire, cold wind blows, talking to myself    so damn..... pretty solid with 9 REAL good songs!

my ratings come out to about a 7.3/10
we will see if it grows on me more, but streetlights scored almost a 9/10 after i made the 1.5 version with all the leftovers....l hmmmmm
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:43:24 PM by So Much Style »
So much style back at it again

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #167 on: June 08, 2010, 05:52:18 PM »
anyone notice going through this thread that everybody has different tastes in songs?

some of you are praising one song as the best on the album, giving it 4.5/5 & some of you are saying that exact song sucks & it's a 2.5/5.

it's quite clear that he's got something for everyone on this album; a few people said he sounds the same on everything, but obviously not if there is such a wide variety of "best song" on the album; it usually seems to be clear cut or at most between two or three songs.

Nooc210

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Planets
« Reply #168 on: June 08, 2010, 06:34:55 PM »
i'm surprised no one was keen enough to either notice or mention the slight homage to jay-z's 'awe' vocalization on seduction. that shit is so jay-z lol!  :laugh:
this album is solid, definitely has something for everybody.  8)
The Chonic • 2001 • Compton •
http://www.drdre.com

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #169 on: June 08, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
I know its a matter of opinion but i don't get how I read a bunch of people on here bad mouthing other artists for doing music that sounds like every other typical radio friendly song and them eminem comes and bring a whole album out that sounds just that and everyone is praising how great this album is?

It's obvious what's going on, but let's come back in about a month when this album's been forgotten.  Next album Em will try to disown this album and distance himself from it as he does with each consecutive album his puts out these days.  Kokane struggles to get a three-page thread in here (a Westcoast forum no less!) with Gimme All Mine while Em easily gets 10+ pages...when Kokane's album is actually far more substantive and inspirational and creative and enjoyable.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
Okay, as much as I praised this album so much before it even released, I will now say I will only be keeping Not Afraid and 25 To Life (Talkin 2 Myself maybe) after 2 weeks.   That is some non-bias for ya.  (I didn't keep any songs off Relapse mind you).  Alot of the songs lack focus, and that's pretty much all I can say about them.

My final comment:

Kobe is such an average ass singer.

I'll add one more:

I have switched my stance on who's running the Hip-Hop game right now in terms of production.  Just Blaze is dethroned officially and (like many of yall have been saying for a year?) DJ KHALIL has this shit on lock.. Y'all right!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:00:07 PM by The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES »

dameons

« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2010, 07:59:49 PM »
Only 3 good tracks

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »
I challenge someone to give me a concept for each of the songs on the Recovery.  Talking about lyrics too, so don't give me no "Em just having fun spittin deadly rhymes on a club banger".  I want you to listen to the lyrics, and give me the message Em is trying to portray with each song..

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
Having heard it again and just checkin it again, its definately a step up from relapse and encore...which to be honest shouldnt really take much of an effort at all for someone of eminems calibre. He sounds alot better on the mic and its more focused. I kinda agree with luna, with the 7/10 rating...just not on where he puts the songs. Ima put up a quick review in a second.

Lunatic

« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2010, 08:17:42 PM »
Anyone saying this is worse than Relapse is

1) crazy
2) In love with Dr. Dre beats
3) On Dr. Dre's dick
4) see options 2 & 3

Yes, I love Dre, he's the greatest producer of all time. Yes, his production performance on Relapse was unbelievable. Yes, it sucks this only has one Dre beat. But the rapper itself is STILL and ALWAYS WILL BE more important than the production, and Eminem was a TERRIBLE rapper on Relapse and he ruined it. Eminem sounds way better on this, and this is definitely better than Relapse.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2010, 08:19:18 PM »
tell me not, he's got some sick wordplay/metaphors thoughout this.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »

On a side note, dres production on eminems first two albums was brilliant, agree though ever since eminem show, dres work with eminem has not been great at all.

Really? You didn't like Relapse's production? That had to have been one of the best produced rap albums of the decade! Just the way it was so theatrically/dark sounding, all flowing together and just plain sounded miles ahead of everything else to me. And THAT is Dre's new sound by the way, for anyone thinking he's still on all that piano/strings shit.

No sir relapse is not even one of the better produced cds to come out of aftermath and its affiliates camp. I really never understood how some hardcore eminem fans come to that conclusion. I never EVER hear anyone praise the production of relapse past a few people who aint heard nothing past an aftermath shady cd and really, its not even close to the best shit produced in the last decade. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Thats almost an insult to some of the greater shit produced this decade.

The production on relapse is solid, pretty much all the way through and its clean, noone doubts dre as a mixer but the beats on relapse, is just dre remaking beats his done before just either not as good because its been done before. Some of the better production on there like stay wide awake sounds like something that would come out of the obie trice debut/gunit era and before anyone says im hating on it, i loved the beat to stay wide awake. But its not some of the better shit of the decade when dre done did better himself many times over the decade. even other beats like insane, the final joint etc...thats shit he done tried with stat quo already. The production is decent on relapse but the album is garbage and if it was so strong it'd hold the album up still to look pretty decent but it cant even do that. That how i see it anyway. :) Ima huge dre fan by the way but im critical without bias when it comes to any cat.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
Here's some more commentary from someone who does not really enjoy this album.

My issue isn't that he's trying to prove that he is the best in the game. I think he did it perfectly on Forever and Drop The World. My issue is the execution and how it works in the album. It all feels forced. The perfect get up to show how talented he is. It doesn't feel natural.

There's too many moments where it feels like he's making announcements of "Hey, I'm back and I'm really good. Pay attention here" and not enough moments of "Damn, did he just do that!?!!" Too much telling (Hey, guys, I just want to thank my fans...I was high on drugs for Encore, and recovering on Relapse....blah blah blah... i'm back", not enough showing (he showed up on Forever and murdered it.)

The album is such a mix bag of tricks. I'm not disputing his flow or vocal talent. I just don't like the approach he chose. Too many whiny vocal choruses, too many aggressive approach to tracks that should've been toned down. There's just too much, "I don't care what you think but guess what I really do."

What I gathered from this album is that he misses being number 1 because he was high off drugs when he was. Hell, his Proof commentary isn't even memorable. It's more fitting that he admits he can't create a track about Proof then attempting to do so and releasing a half-assed one for the public to jerk off to.

Not Afraid is not dope music like Lose Yourself. Hell, it's not even dope music like Beautiful.

Note:  I thought Relapse was a dope concept album until Eminem admitted it wasn't one.  So, from that perspective it's a complete failure.  It wasn't funny, it was disturbing and sick (which would have made a great metaphor on how serious drug issues are but since it isn't one, it's a complete failure.)

I'm a known defender of Encore because I find it to be genuinely raw and emotional about his life and his career (past, present, and future).  

If I were to summarize this album, I'd say it's got the perfect get up to show why Eminem is supposed to be one of the greats but it's soulless.  I can't feel it which is oddly disappointing because I thought he was going to swing it out the park based on his recent guest features of Forever & Drop the World.  Both of those tracks did everything right that this album didn't.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Reventón Bogotá Rolla

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • High Roller
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »
Tracks I think are  :o :

Talking To Myself
Cindarella Man

Tracks I think are  8) :

Seduction
No Love

2009 Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon: The Guardians

woof

« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »
1. "Cold Wind Blows" [Prod. By Just Blaze]
2. "Talkin' 2 Myself" (featuring Kobe) [Prod. By DJ Khalil]
3. "On Fire" [Prod. By Mr. Porter]
4. "Won't Back Down" (featuring Pink) [Prod. By DJ Khalil]
5. "W.T.P." [Prod. By DJ Khalil]
6. "Going Through Changes" [Prod. By Emile]
7. "Not Afraid" [Prod. By Boi-1da]
8. "Seduction" [Prod. By Boi-1da]
9. "No Love" (featuring Lil Wayne) [Prod. By Just Blaze]
10. "Space Bound" [Prod. By Jim Jonsin]
11. "Cinderella Man" [Prod. By Just Blaze]