Author Topic: Why Do You All Hate On Relapse So Much?  (Read 1005 times)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
Re: Why Do You All Hate On Relapse So Much?
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »
wtf are yall talking about rambling? his flows were as on point as always...even em at his worst is better then any of the new class of spitters at their best.

i think em isnt partial to that album because of the time of which its recorded...the accent is a little too much at times but i can respect being it was like ems safe place...it was the first time he was hearing himself on record sober.

the ppl that hate on dres beats are also full of shit, listen to some of his throw away shit he gave fif recently etc...those beats on relapse were simplistic as to not distract from ems flow...

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
the flows was insane had a couple of bangers and i liked it when i first heard it but to be honest a equal did grade it on curve compared on the other shit that was out at the time "just like when slaughterhouse album came out", i still bang hello off that shit till this day tho,but the replay value for the whole shit wasn't there after like a couple of weeks and i think that's the real problem people had with the record,the accent didn't really mean shit to me as much as it did to others yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 02:47:20 PM »
real talk box yell.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
Eminem just failed completely on the album and dre being such a experienced great allowing him to do what he did on the album, completely failed to. Album = complete fail. Its like dude ran really hard into a brick wall with encore and then decided to run even harder into it with a headache/pill effect going into relapse and just failed twice. And nobody stopped him. I guess thats money/power effect.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2010, 09:28:46 PM »
i think it was better than Encore, but it wasn't as good as Recovery.

he spit an untouchable flow, but from a lyrical standpoint, it had points where you were like "wtf?"; Dre came through with some insane beats though & i still bump.

3AM
My Mom
Same Song & Dance
Stay Wide Awake
Must Be The Ganga
Deja Vu
Beautiful
Underground

all songs i still bump from time to time; the accent hurt it all around though.

why did people hate on it? beats me. ???

Agree with this, add Hello and Bagpipes from Baghdad (The beat goes harrrddd) and I'm good.

Shit didn't have amazing replay value, but it flowed so well as an album, and I can just chuck it in the player and vibe, beats are just that ill, and accents don't bother me that much. Sometimes I just like to hear some ill as fuck spitting/lyrics/flow, I don't need that emo shit or need a message in every song, fuck that shit sometimes I just wanna turn my brain off lol.

After 4 listens to Recovery I'll probably take that album over Relapse, very different albums though

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »
Eminem just failed completely on the album and dre being such a experienced great allowing him to do what he did on the album, completely failed to.

Semi agree with this regarding the Dre part, duke shoulda just said "Yo Em, you sound like shit, stop it". Maybe he thought it would be therapeutic for him? lol

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
The accent.
This.

I think I listened to it once, and actually deleted it.

kemizt

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:33 PM »
i think it was better than Encore, but it wasn't as good as Recovery.

he spit an untouchable flow, but from a lyrical standpoint, it had points where you were like "wtf?"; Dre came through with some insane beats though & i still bump.

3AM
My Mom
Same Song & Dance
Stay Wide Awake
Must Be The Ganga
Deja Vu
Beautiful
Underground

all songs i still bump from time to time; the accent hurt it all around though.

why did people hate on it? beats me. ???
I don't need that emo shit or need a message in every song, fuck that shit sometimes I just wanna turn my brain off lol.

i prefer a song with a message, but i agree; i don't always need it. sometimes i just want music to vibe with.

Hip Hop is just music.

music, like every other form of it, is just something you hear, process in your head & either accept what you're hearing or reject it.

there is no law saying that "it must have a message" & when Eminem spit bars off Relapse, sure, some didn't make sense, some were random as fuck; but the way the rhyme structure came together, even with an accent was something i could bump & just be like "i dig it".

people have to understand that messages in today's Hip Hop are retarded, mostly due to the fans.

nearly EVERYTHING has been talked about; so if you get somebody whose rapping about something they already made a song about, people bitch that he "already did it".

so he switches up & raps about something else & then people bitch again that "it's not real/it's not him/it's stupid".

Eminem surprisingly enough is a prime example; people use to bitch that all he rapped about was his mother, drugs & Kim; he gets away from that & people find something else to bitch about lol.

same goes for new age rappers; they make a song & somebody bitches that somebody already did that or rapped about that or that it sounds too much like someone else.

there will always be people bitching about what rappers are spitting about, so looking for messages in Hip Hop, when you know that no matter what the fuck they spit about, it's going to me manipulated in a way where it's "been done" or it's "not good", is a waste of a complaint lol.

just let rappers make songs & if you like them, you like them, if you don't, you don't; fuck searching deep to make sure it means something before you give it a thumbs up.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 10:00:22 PM »
No doubt bro, I think we on the same page here, people always try to find deeper meanings or need to know the story behind something to appreciate.

Some songs take a few listens to appreciate, granted, but generally if something sounds dope, it's dope, nuff said, enjoy it lol.

Over analyzing songs can ruin them, Action! said he loved Relapse, but when he found out there was no message he now hates it. He obviously get's something different out of music than me, which is dope cos everyone has their own opinion and point of view.

I'm a pretty chill cat and never been into getting deep and emotional unless I'm on something, so if something sounds dope sonically, whether it be some ill story telling, some deep and meaningful shit, or just listening to cats flex their lyrical muscles over banging beats I'm good.

I just don't fuck with fake shit, so as long as some one aint blatantly lying and tryna come off like what they're spitting is real, sall gravy.

+1 bro
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:02:05 PM by dubsmith_nz »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »
^no doubt; back at ya. ;) 8)

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
No doubt bro, people always try to find deeper meanings or need to know the story behind something to appreciate.

Some songs take a few listens to appreciate, granted, but generally if something sounds dope, it's dope, nuff said, enjoy it lol.

Over analyzing songs can ruin them, Action! said he loved Relapse, but when he found out there was no message he now hates it. He obviously get's something different out of music than me, which is dope cos everyone has their own opinion and point of view.

I'm a pretty chill cat and never been into getting deep and emotional unless I'm on drugs, so if something sounds dope sonically, whether it be some ill story telling, some deep and meaningful shit, or just listening to cats flex their lyrical muscles over banging beats I'm good.

I just don't fuck with fake shit, so as long as some one aint blatantly lying and tryna come off like what they're spitting is real, sall gravy.

+1 bro

Yeah, I really don't like the material about rape or serial murdering without much reason other than fulfilling a desire.  That shit creeps me out and I'd rather not hear about it.  

Y'all wouldn't agree that it would be cool if he used Slim Shady as a large metaphor for his drug issues?

I still like various tracks off Relapse (Beautiful, Deja Vu) but I don't like it nearly as much as I did when I thought it was a concept album.  Though, I still really enjoy some of the disgusting material (Stay Wide Awake, Same Song and Dance, Underground).  

I've never been a big fan of horrorcore material.  It's all ehh...stuff I'd rather not reflect over...but I can appreciate it as a metaphor...if they intend it to be one ...

Edit:
I think if he combined both albums to form some kind of hybrid I'd really enjoy it more.  Take the chorus of Stay Wide Awake but with the verse from a serious track on Recovery...'

Soon as my flow starts I compose art like the ghost of Mozart
Even though they all say that they're real I know that most aren't
Boy, you think you're clever, don't ya? Girl, you think you're so smart?
Come with me to another side in a world so cold and so dark
Stay Wide Awake

Honestly, there's not one chorus on Recovery on par with that.  That shit kills me but then he goes and raps about murder on the verses.  bleh!  haha  I just think it would have been really clever to use it as a metaphor instead of an attempt at telling jokes.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:13:55 PM by Action! »
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »
No doubt bro, people always try to find deeper meanings or need to know the story behind something to appreciate.

I'm a pretty chill cat and never been into getting deep and emotional unless I'm on drugs, so if something sounds dope sonically, whether it be some ill story telling, some deep and meaningful shit, or just listening to cats flex their lyrical muscles over banging beats I'm good.

+1 bro

Yeah, I really don't like the material about rape or serial murdering without much reason other than fulfilling a desire.  That shit creeps me out and I'd rather not hear about it.  

Y'all wouldn't agree that it would be cool if he used Slim Shady as a large metaphor for his drug issues?

I still like various tracks off Relapse (Beautiful, Deja Vu) but I don't like it nearly as much as I did when I thought it was a concept album.  Though, I still really enjoy some of the disgusting material (Stay Wide Awake, Same Song and Dance, Underground).  

I've never been a big fan of horrorcore material.  It's all ehh...stuff I'd rather not reflect over...but I can appreciate it as a metaphor...if they intend it to be one ...

Slim Shady the character was always Em alter ego to his other side, the psycho/drug addled one, he was definitely in Shady mode on Relapse.

Was it you who did the write up about Relapse and how it was a metaphor for his drug use and then end of the album was him getting out of it? Cos I'll admit it did add a lot more meaning to the album if that was the case, which I still don't understand how it can't be, unless that was Dre's genius in the sequencing and Em really didn't get it?

I think you've just gotta get past the horror core stuff, it's not actually that graphic, and I look at them more as just story telling / spitting songs than "Hey have you heard Eminems new albums about raping bitches? Fuck yeah!" :D

For real, that Stay Wide Awake hook is sick!

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
That's how I viewed the album based on the sequencing and the content of the bonus tracks.  Even the opening track seems to imply it's a concept album.

I'm still not sure why they, marketing people, allowed Em to say it was his way of telling jokes.  That's just lame.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »
That's how I viewed the album based on the sequencing and the content of the bonus tracks.  Even the opening track seems to imply it's a concept album.

I'm still not sure why they, marketing people, allowed Em to say it was his way of telling jokes.  That's just lame.

I reckon he's kinda using it as a gimmick to give some sort of proof that he's actually changed, thus fuel more sales for Recovery. The way the skits were set up in that album, the way it was sequenced, someone had a hand in putting it the way it was.

I reckon that has to have been Dre's genius, cos if it was just a bunch of tracks with him spitting, 2 albums worth mind, maybe Dre just took what he could and made the best album he could out of all of the Relapse 1/2 sessions tracks? Who knows

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 09:50:14 AM »
I still love Relapse. The production was amazing and I'm not talking specifically about the beat but just the way it all flowed together, seqeuncing, skits... And I really dug the whole horror persona and drug addiction storytelling... It won a Grammy for a reason. I know that Action always brings up what Em said but I think that was basically a cop out from Em due to the backlash for the accent. Only tracks I don't like are Insane, We Made You and Medicine Ball. Replace those tracks and add the Relapse: Refill joints and it would be easily my favorite Em cd and in general a close (personal) classic. Only problem of course remains the accent.

As far as comparing it to Recovery, I still haven't fully listened to that album yet so I can't comment. But they sound so different it's probably hard to compare. Which is on the other hand also great because it says that Em keeps reinventing himself.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 09:52:04 AM by Meho »