Author Topic: Who will be buying Hood Star by Crooked I? (well, by Wide awake really)  (Read 1257 times)

Triple OG Rapsodie

To the people on here who say "crooked i doesnt want me to buy it so im not goin to get it":

Are you a real person who thinks for himself? Did God give you a brain? Or are you just some pet that gets bossed around through the Internet? Crooked I says don't buy it, Hutch and Vegas say buy it.  Make up your own mind.  

I'm going to get it because I want a tangible album that I can put on a shelf and pop into the cd player and say "this is Crook's debut album from 2001."  Does it really make a difference in your life whether or not someone tell you what they want to do?

When DPG 2002 came out, Kurupt recognized it as an official release and Daz didn't, so I'm not going to say "i went and bought it because kurupt said it was okay."  I would have copped it regardless.

Give me a break.  All I'm sayin is think for yourselfs and don't involve yourself with these label politics.  10 years from now, Crook might look back on it and say he's proud of it when people start coming up to him and shaking his hand and telling him what a great album he made.

Calm down. His debut album already leaked, this version doesn't even have the same name as his debut, and its not even an official album from Crooked. It's another company releasing a compilation of old tracks that you should already have, and not even sanctioned by the artist. Completely pointless to shell out money for. And believe it or not some people actually buy albums to support the artists they like. OMG what a concept!

I agree with what you're saying that this was kind of a pointless release.  But I also understand dude's point about people saying "Crooked doesn't support this so I can't buy it."  I have no problem with people choosing not to buy it.  But people should think for themselves.  It's cool to like or respect Crooked I as an artist.  But some people on here act like little mindless Crooked I Drones.  I'm really not trying to single out Crooked I here.  I don't think people should manage their lives around what any other person says.  But especially not a popular musician that they don't even know personally.

I don't think wanting to support an artist you like makes you a mindless drone. It makes you a fan. If these were songs we had never heard before then there would be a reason to buy this. BUT since as we agree this is a pointless release, the only other reason to buy it would be to support the artist. And in this case its not supporting him. Believe it or not, some people buy albums because they want to support the artists they like.

Also, I wouldn't call Crooked I a popular musician.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:19:17 AM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

machete

• 'G'
some people on here are saying they are not mindless, but they are not suppoerting this release because they support Crooked I.  Some say it is pointless to support this because the tracks on this release have already leaked.  just wondering if WideAwake was releasing the Untouchable album and Crooked said not to support it how many so called fans would listen to him? 

Nega-Sikotic 2.0.

some people on here are saying they are not mindless, but they are not suppoerting this release because they support Crooked I.  Some say it is pointless to support this because the tracks on this release have already leaked.  just wondering if WideAwake was releasing the Untouchable album and Crooked said not to support it how many so called fans would listen to him? 

Yes.

V2DHeart

Crooked should sit back and enjoy this release. At least it's a retail album of custom work, his own beats, thoughts, and lyrics into one project.
If not, he can continue down the path of mixtape-rapper, and become a commercially & globally unknown rap act with talent who could have been something, like so many others in the past with talent, but were either too stubborn or stupid to know a good thing when they saw it. The leak and discussion of one Death Row track "Slap Back" saw more interest and discussion through various rap news sites and forums than a series of his freestyles ever did
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

JohnnyL

To the people on here who say "crooked i doesnt want me to buy it so im not goin to get it":

Are you a real person who thinks for himself? Did God give you a brain? Or are you just some pet that gets bossed around through the Internet? Crooked I says don't buy it, Hutch and Vegas say buy it.  Make up your own mind.  

I'm going to get it because I want a tangible album that I can put on a shelf and pop into the cd player and say "this is Crook's debut album from 2001."  Does it really make a difference in your life whether or not someone tell you what they want to do?

When DPG 2002 came out, Kurupt recognized it as an official release and Daz didn't, so I'm not going to say "i went and bought it because kurupt said it was okay."  I would have copped it regardless.

Give me a break.  All I'm sayin is think for yourselfs and don't involve yourself with these label politics.  10 years from now, Crook might look back on it and say he's proud of it when people start coming up to him and shaking his hand and telling him what a great album he made.

Calm down. His debut album already leaked, this version doesn't even have the same name as his debut, and its not even an official album from Crooked. It's another company releasing a compilation of old tracks that you should already have, and not even sanctioned by the artist. Completely pointless to shell out money for. And believe it or not some people actually buy albums to support the artists they like. OMG what a concept!

I agree with what you're saying that this was kind of a pointless release.  But I also understand dude's point about people saying "Crooked doesn't support this so I can't buy it."  I have no problem with people choosing not to buy it.  But people should think for themselves.  It's cool to like or respect Crooked I as an artist.  But some people on here act like little mindless Crooked I Drones.  I'm really not trying to single out Crooked I here.  I don't think people should manage their lives around what any other person says.  But especially not a popular musician that they don't even know personally.

I don't think wanting to support an artist you like makes you a mindless drone. It makes you a fan. If these were songs we had never heard before then there would be a reason to buy this. BUT since as we agree this is a pointless release, the only other reason to buy it would be to support the artist. And in this case its not supporting him. Believe it or not, some people buy albums because they want to support the artists they like.

Also, I wouldn't call Crooked I a popular musician.

Wanting to support an artist is fine, but people take it too far.  For that matter, not buying this cd because it's a pointless release would also be an acceptable reason.  But there are those who act like they can't think for themselves.  Again, I'm not trying to just single out Crooked I fans, I'm talking about anyone who can't make a decision without checking to see what someone famous thinks about it first.  And yeah, when I referred to Crooked I as a popular musician, I was using the term loosely because I wasn't just talking about Crooked I.  But I think you understood the point I was trying to make.

V2DHeart

Are you a real person who thinks for himself? Did God give you a brain? Or are you just some pet that gets bossed around through the Internet? Crooked I says don't buy it, Hutch and Vegas say buy it.  Make up your own mind. 

I'm going to get it because I want a tangible album that I can put on a shelf and pop into the cd player and say "this is Crook's debut album from 2001."  Does it really make a difference in your life whether or not someone tell you what they want to do?

When DPG 2002 came out, Kurupt recognized it as an official release and Daz didn't, so I'm not going to say "i went and bought it because kurupt said it was okay."  I would have copped it regardless.

Give me a break.  All I'm sayin is think for yourselfs and don't involve yourself with these label politics.  10 years from now, Crook might look back on it and say he's proud of it when people start coming up to him and shaking his hand and telling him what a great album he made.

I agree with what you're saying that this was kind of a pointless release.  But I also understand dude's point about people saying "Crooked doesn't support this so I can't buy it."  I have no problem with people choosing not to buy it.  But people should think for themselves.  It's cool to like or respect Crooked I as an artist.  But some people on here act like little mindless Crooked I Drones.  I'm really not trying to single out Crooked I here.  I don't think people should manage their lives around what any other person says.  But especially not a popular musician that they don't even know personally.

Cosign. Lots of ppl just saying don't buy the album because Crooked I said it, and not really thinking about the big picture.

If Crooked I was so against it, he could have just slowly gave us tracks from his Death Row days, over the past few years, and none of this would have even been an issue. Now somebody else is going to be eating off his music, and he doesn't like it, but who's to fault for it coming to this point? There's obviously a demand for his music whether it be from today, or almost a decade ago, so somebody is filling that demand because Crooked I isn't. And I'm a Crooked I fan till the death, but I gotta be real about this shit.

Good point

+1
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

love33

Dubcnn: Do you think Crooked I fans should view this as his official debut retail album?

Hutch:  Yes and let me explain why. Anytime you make music, when you made it, you made it to come out to the world. I don’t understand when people ask me if he should be proud of it as his debut album. Is that what you’re saying?

Well this is his first record as far as his thing goes. It’s not a mixtape. It’s not him on other people’s beats. It is his thing. If you ask me [if it should be seen as his debut album], yes  because anytime you go into that studio and do stuff, you put yourself on that mic and you put yourself to the world, yes because it’s his work.

Jaydc

Dubcnn: Do you think Crooked I fans should view this as his official debut retail album?

Hutch:  Yes and let me explain why. Anytime you make music, when you made it, you made it to come out to the world. I don’t understand when people ask me if he should be proud of it as his debut album. Is that what you’re saying?

Well this is his first record as far as his thing goes. It’s not a mixtape. It’s not him on other people’s beats. It is his thing. If you ask me [if it should be seen as his debut album], yes  because anytime you go into that studio and do stuff, you put yourself on that mic and you put yourself to the world, yes because it’s his work.

Its already been stated this is a collection of tracks and not a real album.f he dropped on deathrow this wouldnt not have been the tracklisting.This has already been proven.i dont care what wideawake is trying to tell people.

love33

Its already been stated this is a collection of tracks and not a real album.f he dropped on deathrow this wouldnt not have been the tracklisting.This has already been proven.i dont care what wideawake is trying to tell people.

That's not just "Wideawake" that's Big Hutch who co-produced the album with Darren "The Beatbanger" Vegas for Crook.  I agree with you in that it wouldnt have been the EXACT hand selected tracks and numbers that coincide with the tracklist.  However, all these tracks recorded were intended for the theme album of "Say Hi To Tha Bad Guy" and "Hoodstar."  Crooked I recorded over 70 tracks or so for that album theme.  Death Row paid for these acts to come on and do damage like Jadakiss, Juvenile, Too Short, and Dru Hill along with Tha Row's cast of characters at the time (go look it up) Ray J, Eastwood was the Scottie Pippen even though he looked like Jordan on this thing, and Kurupt was with the label  too.  Crook recorded a grip of tracks for "Untouchable," then he started working with Hutch & Vegas on "Say Hi To Tha Bad Guy."  Suge didn't release it and he began working on "Hoodstar" and the track "Hoodstar" was the new single.  Then it never surfaced and then he said in an interview for some reason they wouldn't drop the album.  Then "Lil Youngstaz" became the new rumored single.  This is not just a throw-together compilation.  It is a collection of tracks with the simiilar theme of the SHTTBG and Hoodstar themes.  The beats have similar production and the tracks had a purpose to be selected from a bigger group of tracks.  So I agree in that these might not be the exact 15 that Suge would have selected but it is still off of the same playlist that the tracks would have come from.  Therefore, it's definitely an album based on the theme and production and time period.

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
yeah most of these tracks were probably recorded between 2001 and mid 2002. A mix between late untouchable and  "Say hi to Tha Bad Guy version 1" shit probably.......
But with Death Row that doesnt mean shit. Things changed everyday. Big Hutch left, left eye and kurupt joined in early 2002
I bet they have different versions of every song. They probably  have a Darren Vegas produced House party too.
Or lala wit another Crooked i verse.

JohnnyL

Yeah, "Hood Star" definitely isn't literally "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" with just a different name on the cd.  This is a compilation of various tracks, many of which were from the "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" recording sessions.  But I'm 100% sure it's not the same album we would have got if they released "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" on any of the many occasions that it was supposed to come out.  But to be fair, Suge was doing the same thing when he still had "Tha Row."  Look at "Dogg Pound:2002" or "Snoop Dogg: Dead Man Walkin.'" Those were also just compilations of tracks from various unreleased projects.  The sound quality was much better back then, but Suge was just as guilty of releasing compilations as the people who are in charge now.

love33

But I'm 100% sure it's not the same album we would have got if they released "Say Hi to the Bad Guy" on any of the many occasions that it was supposed to come out.

Both Darksider and johnnyl are right on, but Suge was known for changing tracklists at the very last second before the album pressing.  Look back to Doggystyle and he put "gz up hoez down" on there and pulled "tha next episode."  And yeah, his label is known for recording several remixes switching beats, switching guest appearances, and sometimes, switching artists alltogether (i.e. "Can't C Me" by Pac was originally Dogg Pound's track).  So if you really want to be serious, when any artist records an album for Tha Row, they are serving up more than enough material for an album and Suge just picked what he thought was the best 15 tracks within the theme.  "All Eyez On Me" was Suge picking his favorite cuts from over 220 tracks.  The same thing would have happened with "Say Hi To Tha Bad Guy," which was around 70 tracks or so being looked at closely as album material.  There have already been 3 different internet versions of the album to my knowledge that have been leaked with slightly different tracks.  So would Suge have picked these exact 15 tracks? Probably not, but it would have been something close considering it was from the same stockpile of tracks.  He might have picked 7 or 8, and had 6 new ones recorded at the last minute.  He might have changed his mind at the 11th hour and came up with something different.  The only thing we do know is that these are the cuts recorded with the intension of having Suge pick 15 within the same theme.  So it's not the historical authentic suge knight hand picked 15, but it's the real theme and the real intended tracks for the "Say Hi To Tha Bad Guy / Hoodstar" theme.

Umaga

• Lil Geezy
how much yall think crooked i/ wide awake album debut well sell? 8)

i think they need to push a single of for crooks debut it not fair more people need to hear this shitt best lyricysts on the westcoast  wide awake needs to push crooks debut hopefully they get a single and video because his debut looks to flop and it aint a good luck no. 8)

ill be buying this for sure and crook needs to get boss album out im fiending for that shit too

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
lol i find the "if crooked doesn't want the 'fans' to buy hood star, i won't buy it" statement funny.
just be honest and say that you won't buy it because of the leaks

Jaydc

lol i find the "if crooked doesn't want the 'fans' to buy hood star, i won't buy it" statement funny.
just be honest and say that you won't buy it because of the leaks

I could care less what he says,if this album was even half songs I hadnt heard before I would buy it.