Author Topic: Howcome the West/HipHop hasn't broke a new superstar  (Read 1305 times)

Shade Sheist™

• PYO Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.ShadeSheist.net
Re: Howcome the West/HipHop hasn't broke a new superstar
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 08:58:55 PM »
Shiest i'ma have 2 disagree with u on tha part about just keepin it west and don't worry about the radio play.  you're basically saying everybody should go back 2 doing songs with "california" b4 or after the next word in the song and everybody should keep the funk bass and the "khakis and lowriders and palm trees" thing going on.... no sir... that's what made the WestCoast corny.

Never said anything like that, my G.. Radio is one of the most important resources IF you are pushing for Mainstream success,
however it does not dictate your World Rank, which is a bigger field than that of the States alone.

The problem is though, that domestic radio does not support the ones they know they should be, and that alone is detrimental to the coast.
"I Rep That West" is a perfect example of a current record not getting it's just due from Regional Radio.. (Did somebody mention Cube getting pushed back?)
without a resolution to that aspect of the game, any hope for a mainstream coastal return should be erased from your hope files.

As far as the redundancy in subject matter of Western music, my opinion is that Hip Hop in general is one of the most redundant genres of them all.
It's no longer about what is being said but rather WHO the consumers want to hear saying it..
New Album "BLACKOPS" Coming Soon
-------------------------------------------
Official Site: www.ShadeSheist.net
Music: www.GFUNKISFOREVER.net
Twitter: www.twitter.com/shade_sheist
Facebook: www.facebook.com/shadesheistfan
YouTube: www.youtube.com/ishadesheist

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 11:44:39 AM »
diddy piggy bacc'd of biggie  >:(  somethings here are cringe worthy,

It's no longer about what is being said but rather WHO the consumers want to hear saying it
^^^^^110% networth shade, it's like with all that blood talk consumers like to hear wayne do it but the real ones not so much yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

MediumL

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »
When people talk about the Souths reign they tend to forget that when people say the south they're talking about several major states and cities. The west pretty much comprises of CA and similarly East = NY and maybe a couple cats from Philly, Baltimore and NJ.

If you split the South into cities or states its only really ATL thats had a consistent foot in the mainstream. Houston faded, Memphis faded and Miamis fading. Look where they going for the next superstars to Canada. Hell half the time it doesn't even matter where you rep its just about making a hot single.

Maybe if the west was more creative. Hyphy was the closest the west got to being big again in the past 5yrs. Dont like jerk music but hell thats whats getting spins on BET.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
When people talk about the Souths reign they tend to forget that when people say the south they're talking about several major states and cities. The west pretty much comprises of CA and similarly East = NY and maybe a couple cats from Philly, Baltimore and NJ.

If you split the South into cities or states its only really ATL thats had a consistent foot in the mainstream. Houston faded, Memphis faded and Miamis fading. Look where they going for the next superstars to Canada. Hell half the time it doesn't even matter where you rep its just about making a hot single.

Maybe if the west was more creative. Hyphy was the closest the west got to being big again in the past 5yrs. Dont like jerk music but hell thats whats getting spins on BET.

alot of truth in that my equal, but we made the same dumb mistake ny made, we never gave others a equal chance,hell we even was divided with the bay and still somewhat like that, we got to have a unified front period, and i still trip off alot of my fellow blacc folk who HATE THE SOUTH when we got alot of our relatives out there some we grew up with and did dirt with, yell

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
Damn. People are actually speaking the real in the WC section. Unbelievable. Ya'll need to spread this thread all over the net and get the word out.

Do Dirty

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »

alot of truth in that my equal, but we made the same dumb mistake ny made, we never gave others a equal chance,hell we even was divided with the bay and still somewhat like that, we got to have a unified front period, and i still trip off alot of my fellow blacc folk who HATE THE SOUTH when we got alot of our relatives out there some we grew up with and did dirt with, yell

Well I know the problem with the division between the Bay and L.A. scene is not so much a music issue as it is just a California thing. Before I go further I must state that artist do work together South Central Cartel/San Quinn, Daz/Keak Da Sneak, Yukmouth/various L.A. artist, E-40/Snoop etc. But any division as a whole is a representation of Cali. North and So Cal are often treated as two separate states at times and have a aggressive rivalry.
"You got problems with the punk police, don't run from the chumps get the pump from me"

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:31 PM »

Well I know the problem with the division between the Bay and L.A. scene is not so much a music issue as it is just a California thing. Before I go further I must state that artist do work together South Central Cartel/San Quinn, Daz/Keak Da Sneak, Yukmouth/various L.A. artist, E-40/Snoop etc. But any division as a whole is a representation of Cali. North and So Cal are often treated as two separate states at times and have a aggressive rivalry.

equals work together no doubt,but it's still that since i'm from here we have to rule cali shit especially from southern cal, and other state rappers if they ain't claiming southern cali will never be considered the tops from the west,if willy northpole or say a juice proved they spit the hottest and had the hottest material we would still never admit that shit period and that's a fact, ain't nothing wrong with wanting to be the best,you should want that,but you can also yellavate yo equals as well yell

love33

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2010, 12:27:26 PM »
I think the bigger issue is that the DJs don't play the music.  You can't be a Westcoast cat and go to the radio station and tell the DJ to play your record unless you got some major bank roll behind you or Jimmy Iovine or Dr Dre stamps their approval on it.

Also, whether people want to admit it or not, there's still a bitter distain that dates back to the East/West rivalry against the West on New York radio stations.  For example, Hot 97 in NY don't play no Westcoast music unless it's Snoop Dogg or another NY artist is a feature.  New York is struggling too, but at the same time, the West Coast radio stations will play four or five New York tracks across the map compared to only one West coast track.  If you're a cat from L.A. who's got some hope, you can't even get your track played on L.A. radio.  Even though NY is struggling like LA, Hot 97 plays their local artists and gives them a crack.  The DJs play their local shit, their Joell Ortiz, etc.

Could you imagine if DMX made a track called "I Rep that East," it would surely get shine from Hot97 and Eastcoast stations.  But Cube makes "I Rep That West," and I ask a DJ at the club to spin it and he shakes his head and says "I don't get down like that."  This is Ice Cube, not some peanut rapper.  Yet, they play that "Empire State of Mind" track by Jay-Z allover Westcoast radio, but they won't play a track called "I Rep That West."  Someone tell me what is really goin on here.

The South supports all Southern music.  You hear Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, and Houston all over the South and their local cats get airplay to help jumpstart them.  Even if it's some wack stuff like "stanky legs" or if it's to jumpstar a career like Mike Jones, Slim Thug, etc.

Why don't the Westcoast DJs play Westcoast music?  Why don't any DJs play West music unless it's the 90's classic shit?  There is a bigger problem with Westcoast music, something rotten at the core -- a stigma/mindset against the West.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »
I think the bigger issue is that the DJs don't play the music.  You can't be a Westcoast cat and go to the radio station and tell the DJ to play your record unless you got some major bank roll behind you or Jimmy Iovine or Dr Dre stamps their approval on it.

Also, whether people want to admit it or not, there's still a bitter distain that dates back to the East/West rivalry against the West on New York radio stations.  For example, Hot 97 in NY don't play no Westcoast music unless it's Snoop Dogg or another NY artist is a feature.  New York is struggling too, but at the same time, the West Coast radio stations will play four or five New York tracks across the map compared to only one West coast track.  If you're a cat from L.A. who's got some hope, you can't even get your track played on L.A. radio.  Even though NY is struggling like LA, Hot 97 plays their local artists and gives them a crack.  The DJs play their local shit, their Joell Ortiz, etc.

Could you imagine if DMX made a track called "I Rep that East," it would surely get shine from Hot97 and Eastcoast stations.  But Cube makes "I Rep That West," and I ask a DJ at the club to spin it and he shakes his head and says "I don't get down like that."  This is Ice Cube, not some peanut rapper.  Yet, they play that "Empire State of Mind" track by Jay-Z allover Westcoast radio, but they won't play a track called "I Rep That West."  Someone tell me what is really goin on here.

The South supports all Southern music.  You hear Atlanta, New Orleans, Miami, and Houston all over the South and their local cats get airplay to help jumpstart them.  Even if it's some wack stuff like "stanky legs" or if it's to jumpstar a career like Mike Jones, Slim Thug, etc.

Why don't the Westcoast DJs play Westcoast music?  Why don't any DJs play West music unless it's the 90's classic shit?  There is a bigger problem with Westcoast music, something rotten at the core -- a stigma/mindset against the West.

alot of networth in what you said my equal,but you got to remember the guy we got who's look at as the face of radio out here is a guy that's from the south FELLI FELL!, his mindstate is chipper jones only and do for his own equals, and it's like our radio stations look at our listeners like it's the nfl, in that it's no team out here so we have to picc and choose who we like since we have no official home team (this is for LA STRICCLY AND EXCLUDING S.D.) it's fucc'd up but that's how it seems to me at radio yell

cowboy1

• 'G'
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2010, 06:32:15 AM »
Also, whether people want to admit it or not, there's still a bitter distain that dates back to the East/West rivalry against the West on New York radio stations.  For example, Hot 97 in NY don't play no Westcoast music unless it's Snoop Dogg or another NY artist is a feature. 

thank you ive been saying that for years.

cowboy1

• 'G'
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2010, 06:35:43 AM »
Shiest i'ma have 2 disagree with u on tha part about just keepin it west and don't worry about the radio play.  you're basically saying everybody should go back 2 doing songs with "california" b4 or after the next word in the song and everybody should keep the funk bass and the "khakis and lowriders and palm trees" thing going on.... no sir...

and thank you too sir thats 1 of the biggest problems.

Shade Sheist™

• PYO Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.ShadeSheist.net
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2010, 10:38:03 AM »
redundacy has never been that significant an issue.. believe it or not.

Yall are closer with the 'disdain' argument.. that's a very realistic point.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
them east cats never really liked us to be truthful,been that way since dougie fresh etc, yell

Shade Sheist™

• PYO Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.ShadeSheist.net
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »
Truest sh*t ever..

Even in my prime I had to spend almost 3 weeks in NY pleading my case with Hot 97, Power 92
and any DJ who was the man at the time to play "Wake Up" which was already breaking Top 10 by this point.

End Result.. I got the adds organically and "Wake Up" did ridiculously well.
Now.. who is really gonna go through all that in this day to convince some fools on the opposite coast to play what they already should be?

I also saw someone mention that the West should be (more) creative.. ROFLMAO.. ;D
in other words, design another creative blueprint for other coasts to make off with and shut us out once again..?  NAH.

I'ma say this again.. We aren't struggling due to Creativity. It's more political than any of the points brought up in this thread.

RedMagic213

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 02:31:14 AM »
I still think theres a place for westcoast music...respect the south. they were in a similar position in 2000...no one really was into the whole southside thing then. But No Limit, Cash Money etc got their independant game on and forced themselves into the industry.

All the west needs is to stop following blueprints...keep is west,keep it real and stop obsessing on sales.

And someone stated the has been no breakout artists recently??? Drake, B.O.B.,Gucci Mane, Nicki Minaj,Kid Cudi...dont get me wrong, i know someone is going to say that these are all "pop" acts, but they did their thing. a breakout artist is still possible !

Westcoast needs a hot hot hot single !! lets see what happens with Nipsey...i support that dude.

Jay Rock etc got no chance. They been around too long now. No one really is interested. Beside, i think Ice Cube dead him already.
^^^^^alot of problems in what you just said, you only going to support nipsey and you think jay rocc been around to long? that's fucc'n stupid if he or any other makes hot music that's all that counts,stop having that mainstream point of thinking my equal,and that's a major problem for cats out here, the fans now act like the old stiffs who run the labels and radio. it's like electing obama equals get him in the white house and think that's the end all,no it's still other local areas that need to be fixed by mayor's etc,stop just think'n you have to do a succ off fest on one artist,fucc age or how long they been around. yell

I said Jay Rock cos he hasnt had a hot track in ages...its all started to sound the same. He actually is quiet boring. And K Dot should have stayed as K Dot...this whole Kendrick Lamar think is going to be difficult for him to run with. Too one dimensional, Lupe had that same issue...

We need a new " Nuthing But a G Thang", "Whats My Name", California Love"...a monster single !