Author Topic: When was Dr Dre last hit record? Both rapping and as a producer?  (Read 2301 times)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: When was Dr Dre last hit record? Both rapping and as a producer?
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »
Lol @ radiotube under pressure>>>cracc a bottle, real slim shady, we made u etc...and under pressure was nuthin special or anythin on the level of poppin them thangz
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »
Lol @ radiotube under pressure>>>cracc a bottle, real slim shady, we made u etc...and under pressure was nuthin special or anythin on the level of poppin them thangz

it wasn't on that level, you're completely right and i'm not a big fan of "under pressure" either but i'm a true fan so i'm just excited i got to hear some new Dre shit, i agree that it probably wouldn't last in my cd player for too long but i have 2 admit that it was kinda refreshing to hear something new that wasn't sounding like an Eminem record (dre's sound for Eminem was never all that appealing to me except on the MMLP and TES, Relapse was bangin' but it wasn't that gangsta shit i was hopin for)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2010, 01:49:29 PM »
Yeah only thing good bout cracc a bottle was knowin dre really can still spit but he proved that on under pressure...cracc a bottle became number one cuz of who was on it not cuz of what it sounded like...cuz it sounded like trash as did we made u...and we made u sold cuz of the white boy and what he does everytime....otherwise how come outta control remix, poppin them thangz, didnt do outta this world numbers cuz it wasnt 4 the white people audience aka em cryin on his song 
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2010, 10:51:43 PM »
"we made you" and "crack a bottle" were like the shittiest songs in Aftermath history (well in that small list anyways).  let's not all get 2 actin' like niggaz appreciated those records.  those records were STRAIGHT GARBAGE and y'all know it.  I wish Dr. Dre could be my mentor but if he ever told me that "crack a bottle" and "we made you" were records that i should be learning to produce like i'd just walk outta the studio or tell him 2 stop bullshittin' me.

What in the world were wrong with those beats? ???

Lol, and this was the guy praising Under Pressure. Crack a bottle and We Made You were well-produced, especially Crack a Bottle, but they failed as entire songs, mostly due to Eminem

LOL, again. 3/5 is "praising". This is the guy who says forums would be boring if everybody agreed all the time. ::)

& I didn't say "what was wrong with the songs", I said what was wrong with the beats. I enjoyed Relapse, but those were at the bottom of my list of songs for that album, just because of Eminem. But the beats were BANGING. Radiotube was talking about the production & there is nothing wrong with either song in that respect.

By "this guy" I meant radiotube. I was agreeing with you. Crack a Bottle shits on Under Pressure as far as production goes.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:53:50 PM by rapsodie is a hip hop elitist »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2010, 12:01:42 AM »
^Much apologies & respect. ;)

Just not use to it, that's all. ;D

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2010, 08:13:56 AM »
Why u apolizin cham? Haha
Cube

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2010, 03:13:05 AM »
it's a mature thing to do

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2010, 07:03:40 AM »
"we made you" and "crack a bottle" were like the shittiest songs in Aftermath history (well in that small list anyways).  let's not all get 2 actin' like niggaz appreciated those records.  those records were STRAIGHT GARBAGE and y'all know it.  I wish Dr. Dre could be my mentor but if he ever told me that "crack a bottle" and "we made you" were records that i should be learning to produce like i'd just walk outta the studio or tell him 2 stop bullshittin' me.

Lol, and this was the guy praising Under Pressure. Crack a bottle and We Made You were well-produced, especially Crack a Bottle, but they failed as entire songs, mostly due to Eminem

LOL, again. 3/5 is "praising". This is the guy who says forums would be boring if everybody agreed all the time. ::)

& I didn't say "what was wrong with the songs", I said what was wrong with the beats. I enjoyed Relapse, but those were at the bottom of my list of songs for that album, just because of Eminem. But the beats were BANGING. Radiotube was talking about the production & there is nothing wrong with either song in that respect.

By "this guy" I meant radiotube. I was agreeing with you. Crack a Bottle shits on Under Pressure as far as production goes.

Crack a bottle is a complete track. Under pressure is not, so how you manage to conclude crack a bottle 'shits on' on it production wise i don't know considering its not even a fair comparison.

I'm sure the final version of under pressure will be much better than crack a bottle. But then that aint much of an accomplishment

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:39 AM »

Crack a bottle is a complete track. Under pressure is not, so how you manage to conclude crack a bottle 'shits on' on it production wise i don't know considering its not even a fair comparison.

I'm sure the final version of under pressure will be much better than crack a bottle. But then that aint much of an accomplishment

Sell. Incomplete or not doesn't matter. We already know what the track will sound like, even if its not finished. The main melody of Under Pressure sucks. I can all but guarantee you that Dre scraps the song. The main melody of Crack a Bottle is dope (its a sample, and its been used before)

btw just for the fuck of it, here's the original sample

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qLlzDWG40w8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qLlzDWG40w8</a>

Here's another song that samples it

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rj5ehxuRQM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9rj5ehxuRQM</a>

So Dre using it wasn't the most creative use of a sample. But sonically it shits on the garbage that is Under Pressure. Even for techno rap that sounds bad. What killed Crack a Bottle was the garbage hook that Em sung and the completely unimpressive verses. What killed Under Pressure was the beat.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »
If Crack A Bottle was a Dre & 50 track only with a different hook it would be the shit. And the beat is great, classy but got that stadium status feel to it.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2010, 11:07:46 AM »

Sell. Incomplete or not doesn't matter. We already know what the track will sound like, even if its not finished. The main melody of Under Pressure sucks. I can all but guarantee you that Dre scraps the song. The main melody of Crack a Bottle is dope (its a sample, and its been used before)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qLlzDWG40w8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qLlzDWG40w8</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9rj5ehxuRQM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9rj5ehxuRQM</a>

So Dre using it wasn't the most creative use of a sample. But sonically it shits on the garbage that is Under Pressure. Even for techno rap that sounds bad. What killed Crack a Bottle was the garbage hook that Em sung and the completely unimpressive verses. What killed Under Pressure was the beat.

I heard the original sample a long time ago...well not long, but when crack a bottle dropped and the original was garbage as was the dre produced track. Sonically it was wack. YOU say what killed crack a bottle was the garbage hook and unimpressive verses. Well i agree but thats part of PRODUCTION. Even if you just talking about the beat alone then its garbage and its basically done nothing to the sample and added a shitty hook and wack verses to it. That to me is a total fail. It was meant to be a club song, i NEVER hear that shit getting play anywhere.

Under pressure i won't comment on till i hear the final product (if we ever hear it) but i could probably see it being a more accceptable club joint then crack a bottle. Jiggaz verse on it kills anything on crack a bottle, he sounds way more lively and even dres got something going on in the joint especially the part after jiggaz verse. Only thing i would say it that dre does need to work on that beat for sure lol. The wave/synth sorta effect is corny as fuck. But it aint complete. I could still see it being better than crack a bottle but its nothing but speculation until we hear it.

All i know is i heard crack a bottle in its finished version and it was GARBAGE. Just because dre 'produced' it does not mean he cannot come for criticism from me or because he got the big names on it. The production and as a song, crack a bottle is straight up garbage to me.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:09 PM »

I heard the original sample a long time ago...well not long, but when crack a bottle dropped and the original was garbage as was the dre produced track. Sonically it was wack. YOU say what killed crack a bottle was the garbage hook and unimpressive verses. Well i agree but thats part of PRODUCTION. Even if you just talking about the beat alone then its garbage and its basically done nothing to the sample and added a shitty hook and wack verses to it. That to me is a total fail. It was meant to be a club song, i NEVER hear that shit getting play anywhere.

Under pressure i won't comment on till i hear the final product (if we ever hear it) but i could probably see it being a more accceptable club joint then crack a bottle. Jiggaz verse on it kills anything on crack a bottle, he sounds way more lively and even dres got something going on in the joint especially the part after jiggaz verse. Only thing i would say it that dre does need to work on that beat for sure lol. The wave/synth sorta effect is corny as fuck. But it aint complete. I could still see it being better than crack a bottle but its nothing but speculation until we hear it.

All i know is i heard crack a bottle in its finished version and it was GARBAGE. Just because dre 'produced' it does not mean he cannot come for criticism from me or because he got the big names on it. The production and as a song, crack a bottle is straight up garbage to me.

First of all, no, hooks and verses are not a part of production. That's a separate thing called writing. If Dr. Dre comes up with a beat and gives it to Eminem, he's the producer, not Eminem. Case and point: Eminem is not the producer of Crack a Bottle, Dre is. But Eminem wrote the lyrics and the hook.

Secondly, hell no. The beat for crack a bottle was dope. The sample is dope as fuck with that epic feel to it. Did Dre do much to it? No. That doesn't make it any less dope, just like all those songs Puffy produced for Big. Under Pressure on the other hand is amateur and shoddy work. And it not being finished doesn't matter. If the main beat of something is already wack, adding things to it isn't going to help it much.

Thirdly, whether something is a club song or not shouldn't matter. I go to the clubs once in a while and very rarely am I ever impressed with the production of the music they play. And there you go, talking about the lyrics and Jigga's flow on Under Pressure (neither were impressive btw) when that has nothing to do with producing a song. Clearly you don't understand the difference.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2010, 04:44:54 PM »

First of all, no, hooks and verses are not a part of production. That's a separate thing called writing. If Dr. Dre comes up with a beat and gives it to Eminem, he's the producer, not Eminem. Case and point: Eminem is not the producer of Crack a Bottle, Dre is. But Eminem wrote the lyrics and the hook.

Secondly, hell no. The beat for crack a bottle was dope. The sample is dope as fuck with that epic feel to it. Did Dre do much to it? No. That doesn't make it any less dope, just like all those songs Puffy produced for Big. Under Pressure on the other hand is amateur and shoddy work. And it not being finished doesn't matter. If the main beat of something is already wack, adding things to it isn't going to help it much.

Thirdly, whether something is a club song or not shouldn't matter. I go to the clubs once in a while and very rarely am I ever impressed with the production of the music they play. And there you go, talking about the lyrics and Jigga's flow on Under Pressure (neither were impressive btw) when that has nothing to do with producing a song. Clearly you don't understand the difference.

First of all...i clearly understand the difference and its YOU who does not...which is kinda hilarious considering you claim you had studio time...which by the way don't mean shit, plenty of people have spent time in the booth.

Second of all, verses are not entirely part of production as are hooks, i agree. They are writing, but if you're producing a track and are involved with it as a real producer, you should be giving direction to the verses and the hook. Kind of like under pressure not having a hook. You think they aint worked on a hook for it? The reason there aint a hook thus far for it is because there aint one satisfactory to dre. That is production. The fact that dre let eminem spit his hook on crack a bottle instead of having it reworked or changed is an example of both poor hook writing and PRODUCTION. Beat making alone does not constitute a great production. Production is the final product. Instrumental is a standalone part of the finished version. Kind of like the hook/verses are....as in they are accapellas. When it all comes together and its in its final version as a song, then its a fully produced joint. Thats production in its final setup. Everything else is the process of production, hence producing a joint.

This is what you said earlier in this thread ''Right, so what makes a commercial track garbage compared to another commercial track? It's nothing but your opinion. There's no such thing as a "certified banger". Just cause you don't like the track doesn't mean its garbage, its entirely subjective and pointless to argue.''....

^^While i dont agree with the part on there aint no such thing as a certified banger...because there actually are in hiphop, its like albums which are certified classics, some people might not like them but are generally recognised as classics or dope albums, its the same with joints. Regardless the reason i pointed that example of what you said is because you claim its pointless to argue if you don't like a track or not...because its subjective yet hear you are going back n forth with me about crack a bottle...lol..its only natural to debate/argue...whatever you want to call it.

Now to this...the sample is wack and there aint nothing epic to it at all. The only thing thats likeable about it to my ear is thats its not monotone and its a kinda thick beat. But its still boring and nothing epic or great at all. Its not dope. The drum pattern on under pressure is much better in my opinion. Hey if crack a bottle is your type of music, go for it, but thats not getting any spins at all by me!

Now whether a song is a club track or not should not matter, i agree. A joint don't need to be club/street/commercial/under ground/pop/gully etc for it to be dope. But the point of crack a bottle was to be a club joint. It failed. There are plenty of songs both past and present which come on in clubs which are way better than crack a bottle.

As for jiggaz part on under pressure, lyrically its nothing but enjoyable shit, its not supposed to be deep but he goes off on it nice, and while when jiggaz spitting, its him writing and spitting his verse, i was talking about the song as a whole and how jigga sounded much more natural than eminem on crack a bottle.

Like i said, if you think crack a bottle is dope or had dope production, good for you. But to me its a wack joint with generic production at best. He got three big names, they all just spit there verses and its got a wack hook while they aint even been the slightest bit creative with the sample. Dope production? Get the fuck outta here.

I can actually think of a recent song which used a shitty sample and crafted it into something great. Just blaze' work on 'no love' for eminem. Now thats great production and shits all over crack a bottle.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 05:07:52 PM by LyRiCaL_G »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
studio time? Lol, I never said I had studio time. I don't even record music. Lol @ you looking through my posts trying to find something to say.

Dr. Dre didn't write the hooks or verses, Eminem did. If hooks or verses were a part of production then the rapper should get co-production credit right? Oh, but they never do. Because its not producing. Dr. Dre may or may not have influenced Eminem's hook, we don't know. That doesn't mean beats and hooks are a part of production. I'm sure he has the final say on the hooks and verses for his own albums, but songs on other people's albums? You can't assume that. Dr. Dre tends to have a bigger hand in the music coming out of his label then most producers, but 90% of producers give the artist the beat to spit on. They rarely are overseeing shit like hooks and verses. And for you to assume that Dr. Dre did this on Crack a Bottle is speculation.

So this is all opinion, fine. I'm not saying this is fact. My opinion is that the beat for Under Pressure is wack as fuck and the beat for Crack a Bottle sounded epic and dope. Was Dre creative with the sample? No. But several of these "certified bangers" you are talking about weren't either. Crack a Bottle was a sample most people hadn't heard before and that's good enough for me. If they had come with a decent hook and without Eminem's juvenile antics it could've been a dope song as well.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
studio time? Lol, I never said I had studio time. I don't even record music. Lol @ you looking through my posts trying to find something to say.

Dr. Dre didn't write the hooks or verses, Eminem did. If hooks or verses were a part of production then the rapper should get co-production credit right? Oh, but they never do. Because its not producing. Dr. Dre may or may not have influenced Eminem's hook, we don't know. That doesn't mean beats and hooks are a part of production. I'm sure he has the final say on the hooks and verses for his own albums, but songs on other people's albums? You can't assume that. Dr. Dre tends to have a bigger hand in the music coming out of his label then most producers, but 90% of producers give the artist the beat to spit on. They rarely are overseeing shit like hooks and verses. And for you to assume that Dr. Dre did this on Crack a Bottle is speculation.

So this is all opinion, fine. I'm not saying this is fact. My opinion is that the beat for Under Pressure is wack as fuck and the beat for Crack a Bottle sounded epic and dope. Was Dre creative with the sample? No. But several of these "certified bangers" you are talking about weren't either. Crack a Bottle was a sample most people hadn't heard before and that's good enough for me. If they had come with a decent hook and without Eminem's juvenile antics it could've been a dope song as well.

I was not looking through your posts, i just remember reading a post of yours about you spending time in a studio or something and the other part i quoted was beacuse it was initially directed at me i think but i thought it was not initially worth a response. If i was wrong about that, my bad, it could have been anothet cat in here.