Author Topic: So Jay Z is the GOAT you tell me? let's take a look  (Read 3107 times)

Paul

Re: So Jay Z is the GOAT you tell me? let's take a look
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 06:31:31 AM »
Who said he was the GOAT? & He's got some classic music under his belt; like ALL of "Reasonable Doubt" lol.

Jome said so, but he's gone :D

Where has he gone?
funkyfreshintheflesh

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 08:23:32 AM »
Reasonable Doubt - (4.5) That's right NOT a classic, it is it's the second most overrated classic of all time, people who call this classic, put this album next to real classic from other NYC rappers like Nas, Rakim, BIG, KRS.... and you realize this album isn't in the same stratosphere of those album.  It's still a great album though, just not a classic

WORD!

It doesn't hold up to other classics, and the only reason people think it's a classic is because when Jay-Z blew up a few years after Reasonable Doubt, everyone was like, oh, he could be the best, but surely the best has to have had a classic album, what's his best album? It's Reasonable Doubt, so it must be classic  ::)

When really, no one was even considering Reasonable Doubt as a classic for like the first 5-10 years it was out, but suddenly Jay-Z gets some hits and that shit all of a sudden is a classic, but based on nothing - it didn't bring any new production or rapping styles to the front, in face Jay-Z's rapping on there was more simplistic than what was out at the time!

Jimmy H.

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
Dont give him his due? Damn he became what he is cuz of fans and media otherwise he should never b n top 20
Right......  ::)

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 11:38:01 AM »
Aint nuthin special bout jay lyrically...whats the most important "thing" about a artist" they should at least b able 2 take-over a ether...haha
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
Reasonable Doubt - (4.5) That's right NOT a classic, it is it's the second most overrated classic of all time, people who call this classic, put this album next to real classic from other NYC rappers like Nas, Rakim, BIG, KRS.... and you realize this album isn't in the same stratosphere of those album.  It's still a great album though, just not a classic

WORD!

It doesn't hold up to other classics, and the only reason people think it's a classic is because when Jay-Z blew up a few years after Reasonable Doubt, everyone was like, oh, he could be the best, but surely the best has to have had a classic album, what's his best album? It's Reasonable Doubt, so it must be classic  ::)

When really, no one was even considering Reasonable Doubt as a classic for like the first 5-10 years it was out, but suddenly Jay-Z gets some hits and that shit all of a sudden is a classic, but based on nothing - it didn't bring any new production or rapping styles to the front, in face Jay-Z's rapping on there was more simplistic than what was out at the time!

Lol, what do you think a classic is? Classics are called classics because of what the hip hop audience thinks of the album, its not what you personally think of the album. Everyone has their own opinion, just cause one dude doesn't think an album isn't a classic doesn't make it so, otherwise no album would be a classic and the word would be useless. By your logic illmatic isn't a classic either, because it did very poorly. No one paid attention to Nas until It Was Written.

soopa-man

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »
as far as self proclaimed classics "Illmatic" was classic in NY before it dropped shit read The Source issues from back then, he got bootlegged heavy at the time, but Nas didnt arrive really until "If I Ruled The World" (but he was all over with that album and it went gold quickly) WHere as "Reasonable Doubt" came in after all that shit was over in comparison to so many Mafiaso themed albums it was old as gangsta rap at that point "Ready To Die" "Cuban Linx" "The Frim" numerous albums already ahd deaded that...I believe  "Reasonable.." got 4 mics in the Source at the time (that's what I consider the album still at times) BUt to me i think Jay is one of the top 5 MC's of all time because he is well rounded in all directions just like Snoop, not many MC's are lasting 15+ years any more even clone mc's like Fabolous, Da Brat who got famous off of theyre flows still got rich with out being directly affiliated with them...

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 01:17:13 PM »

WORD!

Lol, what do you think a classic is? Classics are called classics because of what the hip hop audience thinks of the album, its not what you personally think of the album. Everyone has their own opinion, just cause one dude doesn't think an album isn't a classic doesn't make it so, otherwise no album would be a classic and the word would be useless. By your logic illmatic isn't a classic either, because it did very poorly. No one paid attention to Nas until It Was Written.

Illmatic was consider classic from the jump, we're not talking about sales dummy.  RD was NOT considered a classic when it dropped but after Jay Vol 2/3 and he blew up people then went back and said RD was classic because Jay needed to have one because he was so popular

I would say "Dark and Hell is Hot">>>>>>>>>Reasonable Doubt
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
as far as self proclaimed classics "Illmatic" was classic in NY before it dropped shit read The Source issues from back then, he got bootlegged heavy at the time, but Nas didnt arrive really until "If I Ruled The World" (but he was all over with that album and it went gold quickly) WHere as "Reasonable Doubt" came in after all that shit was over in comparison to so many Mafiaso themed albums it was old as gangsta rap at that point "Ready To Die" "Cuban Linx" "The Frim" numerous albums already ahd deaded that...I believe  "Reasonable.." got 4 mics in the Source at the time (that's what I consider the album still at times) BUt to me i think Jay is one of the top 5 MC's of all time because he is well rounded in all directions just like Snoop, not many MC's are lasting 15+ years any more even clone mc's like Fabolous, Da Brat who got famous off of theyre flows still got rich with out being directly affiliated with them...

Reasonable Doubt came out before The Firm....

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »

WORD!

Illmatic was consider classic from the jump, we're not talking about sales dummy.  RD was NOT considered a classic when it dropped but after Jay Vol 2/3 and he blew up people then went back and said RD was classic because Jay needed to have one because he was so popular

No album has been considered classic from the jump. Classic is a retroactive term that is applied to albums years after they come out. Part of an album being a classic is its "timeless" quality and relevance in hip hop. Obviously it can't be timeless at the time of its release, since no one knows if people will be talking about the album years later. This is true for every album, especially for an album like illmatic which didn't become popular until after Nas became a big star with his following albums. As far as Jay needing a classic, he's got 3 extremely well-received albums that people talk about. I've seen The Blueprint and The Black Album on a lot of people's lists.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »

WORD!

^^^^^this is actually true, nobody was saying reasonable doubt was a classic,anybody in the know was accusing jay of biting nas and the lox style when the shit dropped,cause jay was known to rap fast and he studied nas and the lox mixtapes then all of a sudden you get'n that reasonable doubt flow change yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »
Reasonable Doubt is a classic, that's all folks.

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 03:38:51 PM »
yup...THATS ALL

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:26 AM »
Who said he was the GOAT? & He's got some classic music under his belt; like ALL of "Reasonable Doubt" lol.

Jome said so, but he's gone :D

Where has he gone?
good question ;)

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2010, 08:19:26 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »

WORD!

Word, exactly, nicely summed up

And it's not my opinion of what's classic either, I'm also going off what people think and Reasonable Doubt is only very occasionally mentioned as a classic album, unlike 100% definite classics like Illmatic, It Takes A Nation, etc