Author Topic: Church aid project reaches around the globe  (Read 484 times)

Trauma-san

Church aid project reaches around the globe
« on: December 12, 2002, 11:04:28 PM »
Church aid project reaches around the globe
By DIANA SHOLLEY
STAFF WRITER

http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%257E24396%257E1031450,00.html

Hundreds of local hands gathered in charitable service to send warm thoughts along with basic necessities to those in need locally and around the world.

Last month, more than 200 members of Upland and Alta Loma churches, known as wards, that make up the Upland stake of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints met for the fourth annual Humanitarian Aid Project.

They put together 110,000 hygiene kits consisting of shampoo, a sewing kit, soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes and a towel. These kits are being shipped to church headquarters in Salt Lake City.

They are used to offer relief to those around the world caught in the turmoil of catastrophes such as fires, floods or earthquakes.

"Our church is involved with helping people globally,' said Dennis Merrick, stake president. "We generally get there before the Red Cross. '

Merrick also commented on the internal aspect of the project.

"Our people in the church are accustomed to donating money to help, but they wanted to do more,' he said. "They wanted to help hands-on. This is one of our projects that gives them that opportunity.'

The effort included gathering and separating baby items, clothing, food, personal items and more than 130 hand-made blankets and quilts. The items were then donated to House of Ruth, Foothill Family Shelter, His Hands and Inland Valley Drug and Alcohol Recovery Services.

Upland resident Marcia Iannone has been in charge of the project for the past four years and although it's a lot of work she derives great satisfaction.

"It brings people together in service,' Iannone said. "We can give money, but unless you're doing the service you don't reap the reward or see the expressions of joy on the faces of others as you see them help.'

Iannone is passionate about this project. She believes it's through these kinds of actions that people foster positive relationships with their fellow man, even those they haven't met.

"A lot of love goes into this project,' she said. "And I believe it has an effect that reaches out across the world.'

Also participating in the project was Lynn Ishii, in charge of stake relief.

She explained that there are six wards between Upland and Alta Loma. Each one of those wards was responsible for gathering a different item. The wards spent six months collecting donations and Ishii was pleased about the end result.

"People put their best effort into this project,' Ishii said. "My hope is that we all try and emulate the savior and do what he would do to help people in the world.'

Ishii said the day was a good example of the support and care that live within the communities.

She had volunteers scheduled until noon, but with the overwhelming turnout and the diligence of the volunteers the project, which started at 9 a.m., was finished by 10.

Rod Hulet, high council adviser for the humanitarian effort, said he'd like to see the project grow from a church project to a community project.

"It would be great to have community involvement,' Hulet said. "There are so many people in the world in need of basic necessities. In a small way this is a chance for us to help those people together.'

Susan Salcedo, community services assistant for the House of Ruth, came to help with the sorting and to graciously accept the donation.

"This is so wonderful,' Salcedo said. "We've been so low in our donations. This should take us well into next year.'

Accompanying Salcedo was Jessica Lindstrom, one of House of Ruth's case managers.

Lindstrom explained that many of the clients that come to House of Ruth come with just their children and the clothes on their backs. They need everything, but are ashamed or afraid to ask for help.

"We had one lady come to us who had been using towels and bed sheets for diapers,' Lindstrom said. "Our clients have a hard time asking for stuff, but the need is always there, especially for diapers and wipes. A gift like this means more to us then we can say. We just want to thank them so much.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are any of yall involved with community or church charity projects?  Some times I help out, but usually I don't.  I wish I could recommit myself to doing more to help the needy around the world; I'm gonna try to make sure to go on our next service project; we do stuff at our church about twice a month, build playgrounds, help Hud build houses, work at the shelter, stuff like that.  Do any of yall do that stuff ever in your community?  

P.S. - Another positive post brought to you by DJ Trauma.  

OutSider

Re:Church aid project reaches around the globe
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2002, 11:12:37 PM »
damn i live about 20 minutes from there...

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 11:14:54 PM »
Oh, Cool!  If they ever get it a community project, you oughta see if you can donate some time to help some peeps out, that would be cool.  

Doggystylin

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 11:16:57 PM »
man i donate all the time, maybe no to big charities and stuff, but to poor people i run into all the time, lol i do it face to face. it makes you feel special

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 11:25:44 PM »
Hmmm; I forgot about that.  I usually donate a little bit to change piles and stuff when I see them, I feel like it would be arrogant of me not to give a little bit when I see a charity cup somewhere.  I always give money when people ask me, too... sometimes I can't give what they ask for, but I always try.  (This doesn't work, over the internet, btw, so lay off your "compose" button on your email, lol)

OutSider

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 11:33:34 PM »
Oh, Cool!  If they ever get it a community project, you oughta see if you can donate some time to help some peeps out, that would be cool.  
i am currently involve in teaching catholic sunday school... and making gift boxings for Mary's table and Veronica's house for the church.... i honestly enjoys taking the time and my dad's money to a good cause...  ;D

anywhoo.. we have many LDS churches in my area... but alta loma and upland is where the money is at.. nice home and non-ghetto... lol... so well see what happens... i know our youth group works with others church catholic or not.. so well see what shakin there.. i get hours or cedit for every charitable thing i do for God.. only because i need 300 hundred hours before i can make my conformation.....

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 11:40:29 PM »
Oh, that's cool that you're working with your church, too.  They don't really have to work together if they don't want, just as long as they're both doing things, I guess it doesn't matter.  You should write more about what your church does, we need to promote positivity like that.  Peace~

OutSider

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 12:02:18 AM »
well, the catholic church i attend works with other churches rather if they are catholic or not catholic...

right now i am in the process of being trained to work with younger children.. k-6 and then i am starting another training process to work with 9-12 next year.. first i have to sit out in a 11-12 class as a student to learn the material i havent taken the time to do before. So without the youth actually knowing it.. i am teaching them about good morals and the importants of keeping a clean life style... since i have a not to proud back ground in sexual immorality.. thats the area i am training to teach... telling the teens.. about having STD and pragnancy scares.. basically... things that they should be concerned about as a young adult in the world today.... that is my projected right now.. inside that project i have what the younth do. going a serving time at mary's table.. which hopifully i can do during my holiday vacation .... making thoughs gift boxes and now on the 20th through the 23 i will be away at a catholic retreat for the teen life program.....
thats pretty much it for this year.. and we run on a school year program.. so this fall my mission will change and hopifully i will be a Catholic School teacher.. that is actually certified by the catholic dieceses on California... right now we are on the hush hush that i am actually in a class room setting.. since we are in need of catholics that are able to take the time and teach...sunday school..

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 12:05:59 AM »
Ha, I know that feeling more than you think, LOL.  

I teach Sunday School every sunday; there really ain't that many people that will agree to do it, so I get stuck never having anybody to fill in, so week after week, there I am.  I teach Old Testament, we just got done with Ezekiel (Sp?).  It's a hard job, it's really hard to get people to pay attention and want to participate.  

OutSider

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 12:14:58 AM »
yeah.. but i dont think  loved anyone more as much as i love my kids on sunday mornings..at first when my aunt maria asked me to do this favor for her.. i was kinda like.. hell no.. and did it anyways.. because i kept on hearing that inner voice tell me to go... and it is now the best thing that ever happen to me.. these children are teaching me something about myself.. they hug me when they see me.. they tell there parents how nice i am.. and i just love there little faces shine on sunday mornings.. i look forward to seeing them...
when i first graduated high school i felt lost in who i was.. since i was no longer a cadet.. and now i am a sunday school teacher.. something people respect... but mostly my kids respected me...