Author Topic: Why "Ali" could have been alot better  (Read 216 times)

infinite59

Why "Ali" could have been alot better
« on: December 28, 2001, 05:10:47 AM »
It was a good movie.  But in my opinion they tried to please to many people, and in effect the movie didn't have quite the impact it could have.

If their target audience would have been Black people and white liberals, this movie could have been REAL powerful. I've heard quotes, and read alot of soundbites from Muhammad Ali.  That were about black people.  Like in the movie, "When We We're Kings"... He says, "I'm fighting for black people, who sleep in the streets, black people who never had anything, black people who don't have no knowledge of themselves."

These quotes were left out of the movie, along with many otherr
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Trauma-san

Re: Why "Ali" could have been alot better
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2001, 05:23:25 AM »
Hmmm... It seemed pretty dead on to me, I saw a ton of great quotes in there.  I saw when we were kings, that's a great documentary too, I might add.  They had to show his entire championship reign basically, so in 3 hours, they couldn't do too much.  I think they got the flavor of Muhammad across just fine, they portrayed him the whole time as a champion of the people, they showed him speaking out against the war in vietnam, his most famous quote; they showed him saying that his fight was against the government here at home, I think they did a good job.  It seemed dead on to me with the Ali in 'when we were kings'... when we were kings was twice the movie though, because Ali's so interesting, that you can analyze any one of his fights and be impressed.  

I think the movie wanted to give a basic overview of that period of his life, so to save time, they had to cut out some of his quotes.  Another of my favorites:

"I'm so fast, I hit the switch and i'm in bed asleep before the light turns off"

and I wish they would have went into his actions before the Liston fight a little more, he really talked some major crap to Sonny Liston before their fight... They also didn't show ali say "Nigga, your ass is mine" before the final round of the Foreman/Ali fight... they didn't show dozens of awesome 1-liners him and Cosell traded over the years, They didn't show Sonny Liston's mysterious death attributed to Mafia Hitmen, they didn't go over the famous "Phantom Punch" he beat Liston with, then the accusations that Liston threw the second fight to pay off the mob... etc.  There's just so much interesting about his life that they couldn't cover it all.  They even left 1 whole wife out, lol.

BTW, anybody notice Nona Gaye, marvin gaye's daughter, looks just like him!  And anybody else know that Ali STILL boxes? He has his own ring @ his house, and still spars from time to time, believe it or not, I saw an interview with him last year where he was showing the interviewer that he could still hit the bags and dance and stuff, he just can't stop shaking, basically.  

infinite59

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2001, 06:14:04 AM »
Yeah, I'll give you that homie.. you had some good points

Nosak

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Half Dogg,Half Monkey..Bitch! Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2001, 06:27:19 AM »
i didn't see it's but when i'll see t i'm may hook u up with my view
snoop dogg - "i don't fuck with the pocus everybody
knows this , i fuck with the chronic cause the chronic
gives me dopeness"                                   

- Look here bitch you're fine and i dig your style...-

HBKid_Jr

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2001, 07:49:06 AM »
Ali STILL boxes? He has his own ring @ his house, and still spars from time to time, believe it or not, I saw an interview with him last year where he was showing the interviewer that he could still hit the bags and dance and stuff, he just can't stop shaking, basically.  

I saw this in a commercial about a year ago,  an i was amazed how well he was still able to punch an shit considerin tha fact how bad his parkitstans ( yea i know i spelt it wrong i have no clue how to) is.

lee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2001, 08:04:10 AM »
i can't watch anything with will smith .... the man just so annoying .. i was so glad when eminem dissed him lol

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2001, 08:15:56 AM »
I ain't never really tripped off Will Smith, he's alright to me.  decent actor, alright rapper, he's alright.  

Doggystylin

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2001, 08:59:36 AM »
I ain't never really tripped off Will Smith, he's alright to me.  decent actor, alright rapper, he's alright.  

yeah same here.....he had some dope shit back n the day so hes aight as a rapper overall, and i think hes a good actor, and he seems like a good/nice person. i aint trippin, i like will smith

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2001, 10:32:44 AM »
finally someone with the same opinion lol. really.. i dont know what most ppl have against willie. like you said, he's a funny ass dude and good actor. i loved all the episodes of fresh prince. c'mon fresh prince was classic, especially when carlton did that gay dance.
and i respect will smith as a rapper, he had some dope songs like summertime.
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

infinite59

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2001, 11:16:01 AM »
I don't know about Will as a rapper, too soft for me, but "Summertime" was the joint, and he's a good actor and good person overall, and his wife is a dime piece, although I would have rather seen her end up with her childhood friend 2pac Shakur.  

DreSnoop00

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2001, 02:14:25 PM »
I thought the movie was pretty good, Will Smith did good in that IMO, the way he acted cocky and stuff in the movie seemed all realistic to me, hes alright at rapping, his old school stuff was the shit 4 sure,

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2001, 02:58:23 PM »
i aint seen it, but i will, hopefully,  soon enough ...

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

ROCCY

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2001, 03:07:02 PM »
well me and NIK and one of his other friends saw it they didnt like it..But I liked it but I just think it was too long it was like 3 and somethin hours..and Yea hes a good/funny actor and had some tite rap shit back then..!

Dogg_Pound_Gangsta

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2001, 09:57:57 PM »
this is off topic but how did marvin gaye die.  ive always wondered but neva knew.  sumone help me out please.

ToNe1904

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2001, 01:27:39 AM »
yah. well, this was a 3 hour movie, n i think they coulda fit ALOT more in there in 3 hours!
Infinite prolly gonna hate me for this one, but i think, although it WAS necessary to show his relationship with malcom x, tha movie seemed to show too much of Malcom at tha beginning. i mean, tha title of the movie WAS "Ali". I personaly luv Ali, but tha movie also depicted him as a hero. which is true for sum, n definetely not true for others. i think it shoulda been a lil more objective in its portrayal. i was actually expecting the movie to focus more on his fighting, then his life outside the ring. not that i was dissapointed really. i woulda liked to see a lil more about his career tho. one thing i noticed that was left out, was tha way that he DOGGED frazier before theyre fight. it jus sorta ended with frazier offerin him money. and thas tha lass u saw of it before the fight happened. it shoulda shown tha way ali totally publicly dogged frazier. it made it seem like, when tha fight happened....theyre were best friendz or sumthin. i think will smith did aiight tho as Ali. he was a kinda small for a heavyweight. i mean, tha fight against Foreman....cmon now. that looked like a heavyweight and a welterweight fightin eachotha lol. but overall, it was good movie.