Author Topic: so far, top 10 albums of 2010  (Read 1014 times)

Paul

Re: so far, top 10 albums of 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 04:05:17 AM »
funkyfreshintheflesh

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 09:13:27 AM »
^ say what you want about pitchfork but they like hip hop a lot more than me, i'll bet if you look up some of your fav 2010 rap albums (i assume you are a rap fan) that you wont be let down with their ratings.... drake albums sucked dick, i still havent listened to the eminem, im just not that interested in current hip hop at all, if i want rap, i bump some classic shit.

no pitchfork dont "like hip-hop more than you", p4k isnt some all encompassing entity. they get reviewers to review some rap shit now to seem current and to allow theyre users to feel cultured and interested in anything other than the buzzband of the month.

let me prove it to you, they even reviewed a FAN MADE lil b mixtape because he has buzz right now and they wanted to seem current. its laughably bad

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »
oh yeah and for the people who like vampire weekend, since this is a rap forum maybe youll be interested to know that THEY ARE BASICALLY STEALING ALL THEIR IDEAS FROM AFRICAN MUSIC. but people like a white face in trendy clothes before they are prepared to listen to music with guitars so why would you know that anyway?  :P the talking heads did it 20 years ago and no-one noticed.

here is a favourite african band of mine you might like.

the whole vampire weekend shtick is to mix african guitars and rythms with indie rock. im not saying they suck because of that, im just stating a fact and people who like them might be interested to know: this is were it comes from, this is how it is done!

Blood$

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 10:27:47 AM »
Brotha Lynch Hung - Dinner & A Movie
E-40 - Revenue Retrievin': Day/Night Shift
Kurupt - Streetlights
Devin The Dude - Suite 420
Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives
Big Boi - Sir Luscious Leftfoot
Curren$y - Pilot Talk
Bun B - Trill O.G.
Rick Ross - Teflon Don
Wiz Khalifa - Kush & OJ (mixtape but can hang with the albums)

a few honorable mentions:

8Ball & MJG - Ten Toes Down
Tha Dogg Pound - 100 Wayz
Freddie Gibbs - Str8 Killa
the album in my sig
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:30:54 AM by BloodMoney2010 »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
oh yeah and for the people who like vampire weekend, since this is a rap forum maybe youll be interested to know that THEY ARE BASICALLY STEALING ALL THEIR IDEAS FROM AFRICAN MUSIC. but people like a white face in trendy clothes before they are prepared to listen to music with guitars so why would you know that anyway?  :P the talking heads did it 20 years ago and no-one noticed.

the whole vampire weekend shtick is to mix african guitars and rythms with indie rock. im not saying they suck because of that, im just stating a fact and people who like them might be interested to know: this is were it comes from, this is how it is done!

Yeah, people know this lol

TheWestCoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Need that Million Dollar Story!!
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
brakelights 8)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:16 AM »
oh yeah and for the people who like vampire weekend, since this is a rap forum maybe youll be interested to know that THEY ARE BASICALLY STEALING ALL THEIR IDEAS FROM AFRICAN MUSIC. but people like a white face in trendy clothes before they are prepared to listen to music with guitars so why would you know that anyway?  :P the talking heads did it 20 years ago and no-one noticed.

seriously, they are very paul simon - graceland inspired (who, yes, stole the african sound)... oh and the talkiing heads get a LOT of due props.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »

seriously, they are very paul simon - graceland inspired (who, yes, stole the african sound)... oh and the talkiing heads get a LOT of due props.

nah i mean they stole african music and no-one noticed at the time. and javier, yes people know this, but do they care to even check out proper african music? no, they keep listening to shit indie bands lol

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »

nah i mean they stole african music and no-one noticed at the time. and javier, yes people know this, but do they care to even check out proper african music? no, they keep listening to shit indie bands lol

I don't like Vampire Weekend THAT much, but I do see where you're coming from.  On the other hand, Vampire Weekend incorporates a lot of more sounds than just some of the calypso and other afro sounds.  They definitely still have "westernized" style as well.  First album is yes, heavily influenced but their recent LP has a lot of more genres blending. 

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 03:29:35 PM »

I don't like Vampire Weekend THAT much, but I do see where you're coming from.  On the other hand, Vampire Weekend incorporates a lot of more sounds than just some of the calypso and other afro sounds.  They definitely still have "westernized" style as well.  First album is yes, heavily influenced but their recent LP has a lot of more genres blending. 

yeah we call them culture vultures, but whatever it takes to make white priveleged 20-somehtings feel cultured without moving outside their comfort zone is fine with me lol (yeah im being an asshole but not to your good self  ;D)

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »
why it gotta be one way or the other, i like african music, i bang with some Babatunde Olatunji but i also like the v.w. indie sound. white people in the 60s stole off black blues, does that discredit all the music.. fuck, i still can't decide whether i like the rolling stones or the original jimmy reed version of honest i do... and fuck, some of the shit zeppelin did with blues classics, i like em more,

fuck all that culture vulture bullshit, i doubt many people listen to v.w. and go, wow i feel so african right now, i mean, do you really think that?

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:53 PM »

fuck all that culture vulture bullshit, i doubt many people listen to v.w. and go, wow i feel so african right now, i mean, do you really think that?

Hell yeah I do lmao

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2010, 09:33:11 AM »
why it gotta be one way or the other, i like african music, i bang with some Babatunde Olatunji but i also like the v.w. indie sound. white people in the 60s stole off black blues, does that discredit all the music.. fuck, i still can't decide whether i like the rolling stones or the original jimmy reed version of honest i do... and fuck, some of the shit zeppelin did with blues classics, i like em more,

feeling cultured doesnt meen "i feel african", cmon you know that lets not play  ;D. its almost like a badge. "hey have u heard this band, theyre really cool, yeah theyre 'african' influenced" which then leaves the typical indie fan feeling as if they have experienced 'culture' yet all they are doing is listening to indie rock. they have no desire to actually experience another culture unless it is neatly packaged and fits with what they already enjoy. im not saying this is you or anyone else here, but lets not pretend it doesnt happen like..... all the fucking time. people do this.

a random example but its definitely something happening currently, cee-lo is pandering to the indie crowd and now a lot of whitebread indie kids are like "wow cool im listening to a black dude" yet again they dont have to step outside their comfort zone because most of his new shit has boring indie backing. im not an indie hater, its just white 20-somethings are the most guilty of this shit and indie is the music/brand that represents them most closely

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

feeling cultured doesnt meen "i feel african", cmon you know that lets not play  ;D. its almost like a badge. "hey have u heard this band, theyre really cool, yeah theyre 'african' influenced" which then leaves the typical indie fan feeling as if they have experienced 'culture' yet all they are doing is listening to indie rock. they have no desire to actually experience another culture unless it is neatly packaged and fits with what they already enjoy. im not saying this is you or anyone else here, but lets not pretend it doesnt happen like..... all the fucking time. people do this.

a random example but its definitely something happening currently, cee-lo is pandering to the indie crowd and now a lot of whitebread indie kids are like "wow cool im listening to a black dude" yet again they dont have to step outside their comfort zone because most of his new shit has boring indie backing. im not an indie hater, its just white 20-somethings are the most guilty of this shit and indie is the music/brand that represents them most closely

I think most 20 something white males listen to rap more than "indie" rock. 

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »

as long as you acknowledge that this is a certain sect of people (aka not me, and a bunch of others), and not all white people who listen to v.w. or cee-lo (im eh about him), than i really cant disagree with you.