Author Topic: so far, top 10 albums of 2010  (Read 1029 times)

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: so far, top 10 albums of 2010
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2010, 04:00:53 AM »
id just like to clarify, on your first point, that yes its lazy to just call a band indie, but of course you would then go-on to describe their sound. there is no one true indie sound, just like there is no one true RAP sound. we are united by the way we make music and divided by our own original spin that we put on that format!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2010, 04:15:28 AM »
Here are basically my points

- You can't describe music by a simple term.  It's either lazy or ignorant
- if term grows and it becomes more of a scene, then something is wrong with the term itself. 

on your first point, go-on then! since the rest of the world is clearly lazy and ignorant can you please explain to me how you would describe a)the national b)vampy. what genre are they? and dont say genres are stupid that is the worst opinion ever, genres are a usefull way to classify music, they show both a link in sound, link in influences and MOST IMPORTANTLY a link in the artists approach to making music, that is what different artists in genres share above all.

and there is NO good case for saying hip-hop is rock n roll LMAO are you people fucking serious. the very fundamentals of both genres are entirely different. in my opinion it shows ignorance of musical knowledge in both how music is created and the history of its creation, its very important to look at how the music is created to understand how it is related to other artists and what makes them part of the same genre.

as for your second point i have no idea what that means, it seems like you are just pissed that the term indie has also become a descriptor for things such as fashion and people. i hate that too! i think its dumb as hell! but thats just idiots. its a completely seperate argument and has nothing i mean 0% to do with indie as a musical term. trust me, i hate it when people say "thats so indie" when they see a dude wearin a waistcoat or trillby hat.

If genres are a useful way to classify music, then Vampire Weekend and LCD Soundsystem shouldn't even be in the same genre .  How can you listen to a song by LCD Soundsystem which sounds more like "electronic/dance" while Vampire Weekend sounds a lot more "worldbeat", "african rhytym influenced" and just say "this is INDIE ROCK", especially with LCD Soundsystem who rarely has songs that are guitar oriented?  It doesn't fly, the only reason indie rock term became popular and easy to use is because it was for bands that were either on independent labels or were independent minded.  Take a look at the Smiths, they're basically were the latter part of the post punk genre, and then came the "post punk revival" with Interpol, The Strokes etc., but conveniently all these guys just fit into INDIE ROCK because that's the mainstream term to use today, it doesn't describe a true sound.  Back in the 80s-90s, it'd be college rock.  

And to follow your example of rap, the equivalent is just rock.  Since there is no Indie Rap out there, it's not a fair comparison.  Only close thing is underground hip hop, and once an underground rapper makes it big...the label doesn't stay. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 04:19:35 AM »
The National are straight out a rock band, and you can take a random song and probably put it to a more specific genre but at the end of the day they're just a rock band. 

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 04:26:44 AM »
Here are basically my points

- You can't describe music by a simple term.  It's either lazy or ignorant
- if term grows and it becomes more of a scene, then something is wrong with the term itself. 

on your first point, go-on then! since the rest of the world is clearly lazy and ignorant can you please explain to me how you would describe a)the national b)vampy. what genre are they? and dont say genres are stupid that is the worst opinion ever, genres are a usefull way to classify music, they show both a link in sound, link in influences and MOST IMPORTANTLY a link in the artists approach to making music, that is what different artists in genres share above all.

and there is NO good case for saying hip-hop is rock n roll LMAO are you people fucking serious. the very fundamentals of both genres are entirely different. in my opinion it shows ignorance of musical knowledge in both how music is created and the history of its creation, its very important to look at how the music is created to understand how it is related to other artists and what makes them part of the same genre.

as for your second point i have no idea what that means, it seems like you are just pissed that the term indie has also become a descriptor for things such as fashion and people. i hate that too! i think its dumb as hell! but thats just idiots. its a completely seperate argument and has nothing i mean 0% to do with indie as a musical term. trust me, i hate it when people say "thats so indie" when they see a dude wearin a waistcoat or trillby hat.

If genres are a useful way to classify music, then Vampire Weekend and LCD Soundsystem shouldn't even be in the same genre .  How can you listen to a song by LCD Soundsystem which sounds more like "electronic/dance" while Vampire Weekend sounds a lot more "worldbeat", "african rhytym influenced" and just say "this is INDIE ROCK", especially with LCD Soundsystem who rarely has songs that are guitar oriented?  It doesn't fly, the only reason indie rock term became popular and easy to use is because it was for bands that were either on independent labels or were independent minded.  Take a look at the Smiths, they're basically were the latter part of the post punk genre, and then came the "post punk revival" with Interpol, The Strokes etc., but conveniently all these guys just fit into INDIE ROCK because that's the mainstream term to use today, it doesn't describe a true sound.  Back in the 80s-90s, it'd be college rock.  

And to follow your example of rap, the equivalent is just rock.  Since there is no Indie Rap out there, it's not a fair comparison.  Only close thing is underground hip hop, and once an underground rapper makes it big...the label doesn't stay. 

lcd are indie with a huge dance influence, they are certainly not strait up dance music. vampire weekend sounds nothing like worldbeat its not even up for debate, im a huge lover of both dance and afrobeat music and i think to even call vampy worldbeat is offensive. the roots of indie did AT THE TIME mean independent but that was over 20 years ago and it doesnt mean that anymore.

ah fuck it..... look im not going to sit and argue about genres with you all day, its pointless i see we are getting nowhere, you think what you want and ill think what i want. the only thing i will say to you is try and have this discussion on a non rap board that is more focused on 'rock' music (im sure we can at least agree on that genre) and you will see replies very similar to what i am saying. infact the OP of this thread who is clearly a huge lover of indie music (check his top 10 list) agrees with me. so dont take it from me, havent listened to rock music in years, but take it from someone who clearly knows and loves the music, the OP.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 04:28:24 AM »
The National are straight out a rock band, and you can take a random song and probably put it to a more specific genre but at the end of the day they're just a rock band. 

ok ive had enough of this you are a complete fool im sorry.

http://www.posthocmanagement.com/bands/the_national/#top

THE OFFICIAL 'THE NATIONAL' BAND APPROVED BIO FROM THEIR WEBSITE:

and i quote:

"Boxer (2007), featuring songs like “Fake Empire”, “Mistaken For Strangers” and “Start A War,” sold over three times as many copies as its predecessor and saw them transformed from underground stars into an indie rock institution

indie.

rock.

goodnight folks

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 04:39:05 AM »
Whoa whoa, what the fuck is up with the insults?  Where the fuck did I ever diss you?  I'm not a fool. 

Like I said, if The National were in the 80s90s, they would be seen as a College Rock Band.  If R.E.M. were out today, they would be seen as indie rock.  This just goes to show you that these vague labels change

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 04:40:45 AM »
and I didn't say Vampire Weekend were worldbeat. 

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
Re: top 10 albums of the year (all genres)
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »
how many fucking threads do we need of this shit, and I swear there is an identical thread just above this

let's wait till the year is over anyway, still some big albums yet to drop (Detox LOL)
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »
I haven't heard one single album that was truly great this year. The best so far has been Nas & Damian Marley, but even that has a number of wack tracks. These days I listen a lot to "Happiness" by UK pop duo Hurts, which is very good, but truly great? Not really. I'm an Eminem fan, but I don't really rate Recovery. I'm definitely hoping that the second half of 2010 will be better than the first muscially.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
Like I said, if The National were in the 80s90s, they would be seen as a College Rock Band.  If R.E.M. were out today, they would be seen as indie rock.  This just goes to show you that these vague labels change

very good point.