Author Topic: Album preview: South Central State of Mind (No Audio)  (Read 338 times)

chunkc85

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Tha Buziness
Album preview: South Central State of Mind (No Audio)
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »
I read this article over at complex magazine's site check it out. Can't wait for the album to finally drop.

http://www.complex.com/blogs/2010/09/01/album-preview-nipsey-hussle-south-central-state-of-mind/

woof

Re: Album preview: South Central State of Mind (No Audio)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
"South Central State of Mind (Intro)"
Produced by: Lamar (of 1500 Or Nothin) & Detroit Red
Although this track is still unfinished, we liked what we heard. The title track to Hussle's debut album starts off with a sinister sound, but slowly builds into a more triumphant one with Nipsey spitting lines like, “Nigga had a vision/So I made a commitment/That put me in this position.” The hook is DJ scratches but there isn't a second verse on it...yet.

"Keys To The City"
Produced by: Djay Cas
According to Nipsey, this song is supposed to be the next single, and we can see why; the beat is an epic banger worthy of the likes of Rick Ross. It’s the kind of song you play while soaking up that California sunshine and riding down Slauson in an old-school navy-blue droptop (unless you're a Blood, we guess). We especially love him shouting out his boys who are sending text messages in the pen. We're hoping they're sending each other messages like "LOL :)" instead of like, you know, orders to shank people.

"Blue Laces"
Produced by: Mr. Lee
This is a somewhat standard “Where I’m From” track, but what makes it stand out is the wordplay. On the second verse, Hussle runs through the duration of an entire verse rhyming the same last syllable, “Grow like Rogaine/Blow like propane/Shoutouts with no aim.” Etc. Some might say it's lazy, but it sounded dope as far as we're concerned.

"The Hussle Way"
Produced by: Phonix
Nipsey told us he felt the song didn't get the kind of shine it deserved when he put it on Bullets Ain't Got No Names Vol. 3 so he's going to re-use it for his album. We're fine with that since it fits well, but if you ask us, if he wants to re-use old songs, he might as well add "Strapped" on there as well. That shit was a banger.

"Untitled"
Produced by: Big K.R.I.T.
No title? No hook? No problem. The song features a hard-hitting piano loop, which makes it a fairly West Coast-sounding track, considering a dude from Mississippi made it. But it's more of an extended verse than anything else.

"Feelin' Myself (I'm So Fresh)" f/ Lloyd
Produced by: 1500 or Nothin
Nipsey is positive about the order of the first five tracks on his album, but he doesn't have a definitive order for the rest of the songs, including this, the lead single. If you haven't heard it before, the song features heavy synths, an R&B feature, and a full-on display of Nipsey's commercial aspirations. We're kinda on the fence about whether or not we're actually feeling it in the context of the album, but we understand its purpose.

"New Money"
Produced by: J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League
Another unfinished song. We're not totally sure, but we think the hook is all Auto-Tuned up. This track is in the same vain as "Feelin' Myself," and doesn't fit with the darker tracks opening the album, which we liked the best of everything we heard. Nip still keeps it gangsta, though, with lines like, "Ask BET if I was backstage blazing!"

"Hustler State of Mind" f/ Kevin Cossom
Produced by: The Runners
Nipsey is still debating whether or not he'll put this Runners-produced track on his album. We say he shouldn't because if there's any flaw in Nipsey Hussle's repertoire, it's his ability to name songs. Tell us if you notice a common theme to the titles of these Nipsey songs: "Hussle In The House," "The Hussle," "Hussle Is My Last Name," "The Hussle Way," and "Hustle." Besides, the beat is built over the sound of a ticking clock, which makes us think our speakers are about to explode if we don't cut the blue red wire or something.

"I Don't Give A Fuck"
Produced by: QD3
Despite this song being recorded years ago, Nipsey claims he has long planned on making it the outro to his debut. Produced by his homeboy QD3, Nipsey's delivery is reminiscent of the song that got us to first notice him, "Bullets Ain't Got No Names." Thankfully, the song also returns to the darker roots planted in the opening of the album.

BONUS: "Hussle In The House"
Produced by: Detroit Red
Nipsey said he was considering adding this as a bonus cut for all the heads who missed out on it thanks to all the moms who called up L.A. radio stations complaining that it promoted gang banging. Who is you, C. Delores Tucker? Look, maybe we've secretly Crip-walked to a Nipsey or a Snoop song while in the safety of our homes, but that doesn't mean we're gonna cop a blue rag and hurt somebody.

MR X To Tha Z

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • im high out my mind and i know im the shit
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:41:57 PM »
does anyone know if click clack away ft bruno mars and lupe is still on the album?

fasho

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:22 PM »
"South Central State of Mind (Intro)" - sounds good, wanna hear this

"Keys To The City" - really diggin that description, can't wait to hear

"Blue Laces" - I like when rapper's rhyme the same last syllable for a verse, as long as they can make it sound good and I think Nipsey is good at that, Crooked I too

"The Hussle Way" - Definitely a good song, glad to see it make the album

"Untitled" - Interested

"Feelin' Myself (I'm So Fresh)" f/ Lloyd - Good song, is the lead single, so gotta be on the album...but I can see how it wouldn't fit with the darker tracks

"New Money" - Sounds like it might be another good commercial song maybe?

"Hustler State of Mind" f/ Kevin Cossom - Is this the same song on the How To Make It In America Mixtape?  If so, good track, and maybe this won't have the DJ rewind and will have a 2nd verse

"I Don't Give A Fuck" - Is this the same song on the The Lost Tape?  I think it was track 5 and it does sound more sinister

BONUS: "Hussle In The House" - While a good track, I kind of wish a newer (preferably unheard) track was used instead

Overall, it has the potential to be a great debut album, something the west coast needs - if it actually drops!  I don't know what it is about the west coast but them albums NEVER drop...

doggfather

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
What abouth the Eiht featuring what mentioned in here sometimes?!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

SO PRUP

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 06:39:35 AM »
lol @ the lines they were quoting

“Nigga had a vision/So I made a commitment/That put me in this position.”

“Grow like Rogaine/Blow like propane/Shoutouts with no aim.”