Author Topic: Donell Jones Interview  (Read 67 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Donell Jones Interview
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:50:41 PM »
http://www.illuminati2g.com/donelljonesinterview.htm

I2G kicked it with R&B crooner, Donell Jones for a exclusive interview. We discuss his new album, Lyrics, dropping September 28th, his thoughts on doing a gospel album and the success of his album, Where I Wanna Be. Check it out.

We are here with Donell Jones, how's it going man?

It's going great man.

You have a new album dropping on September 28th entitled Lyrics. Tell me a little bit how the album came together for you.

Basically I just started putting the album together myself. I produced 99% of the album, and I had a producer by the name of Mike Finney, he added a joint as well. We put the album together in the good, wholesome spirit of R&B and nothing is going to change as far as love is concerned.

I am talking about relationships, make ups, break ups, and everything else that has to do with love on this particular album.

You have the new single out entitled Love Like This. Tell me a little bit about the writing process for the song and how it came together.

Actually the song is reaching out to the ladies and letting them know it's ok to give someone else your heart. Alot of them have been hurt before and I am just telling them don't carry the baggage from a previous relationship into a new one. Give a brotha a chance and yeah I used to be one of those guys back in the day that they were scared of.

But the key word is I used to be. As men grow older, some of us realize that it is ok to have one woman.

Do you have a video set to drop from that single?

Yeah it is currently out right now and it was shot by Yolanda Gerrard and she did a hell of a job with it.

How would you say this album differs from your previous albums? Your albums vibe wise have always been slower and mellow per say. One uptempo track if any on the album. It is more uptempo or smoothed out like your previous ones?

Nah it is smoothed out. That part about me will never change. I am not really a uptempo kind of guy, but I have had success with uptempo records like You Know What's Up, which is my biggest record. I do have a couple but my forte is mid tempos and ballads, that is what I thrive off of and that is what my fans love my music for.

Growing up in a gospel background have you ever thought of doing a gospel album anytime soon?

Nah, I really feel like this is the music that I love to do. My father is a pastor of a church, but I try to put at least one song on my albums that definitely have a spiritual message.

My all time favorite album from you has to be Where I Wanna Be. What are some good memories that you have in creating that album?

Oh yeah, just getting out and working with different people. I worked with Kyle West on that album, and that album it just all came together for me. It was not forced at all, working with Lisa Left Eye Lopes on there, it was just beautiful. Being in the studio with her and seeing her do her verse.

No Scrubs was really big at the time and she added so much flavor and excitement to the project. I think alot of people took into that and checked my music out even more being that she was on the album.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

We have alot of different shows coming up. We have Houston, Florida, down in Orlando. There are a few things on the schedule and I am definitely promoting this album and getting the word out that I am back. I think it is a beautiful project and the album I feel it will do well because I feel like my fans have been missing my style of R&B.

I think it will be a breath of fresh air compared to some of the music that is out right now.

What is your website information for people looking to check out your music and see what you have going on?

www.twitter.com/donelljones96. www.myspace.com/donelljones. www.facebook.com/donelljones96. www.donelljonesworld.com.

I appreciate your time, is there any last words you want to get out there to the people?

I really respect and appreciate my fans that have been there for years. This album Lyrics is definitely one of those albums that you can play from beginning to end and it is coming out September 28th.

I appreciate you and in being a big fan of your music, you have set the mood for many dates for me so thank you (laughs).

Oh thank you brother, I appreciate that.