Author Topic: I.E. Weekly news  (Read 234 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
I.E. Weekly news
« on: December 18, 2002, 12:33:50 AM »
Alright, people in my area don't read the news much, so I'ma provide weekly I.E. news. I mean most people don't even know what the fuck is going on in the 909 to begin with, so I'm gonna provide the news for my I.E. peoples, as told by the San Bernardino County Sun. This is from Tuesday, December 17, 2002

Ganging up on gangs
Coalition wants to concentrate on 18 ways life can let kids down
By C.J. SCHEXNAYDER, Staff Writer
Since 15-year-old Tory Howe-Lynch died in front of a Westside San Bernardino church, local leaders have vowed to work together to deal with the problem of gang violence.

On Tuesday, they met to make it happen.

Black community leaders and officials from various local agencies gathered at a meeting of Inland Empire Concerned African-American Churches a coalition of more than 60 churches across San Bernardino and Riverside and counties to lay the groundwork for a new approach to deal with the problems of gangs .

"We have approached the problem in the past from the perspective of our own passion,' said Raymond Turner, the coalition's chairman. "That can only succeed to a point. To be successful we need to look at the solution in terms of the problem.'

Tory died Dec. 5 when he was shot in front of Temple Missionary Baptist Church after evening choir practice.

Police said the suspected shooter is a known gang member and may have acted because the 15-year-old's red baseball cap was the color associated with a rival gang. Tory had no connection with any gang, police said.

In the days after the shooting Turner, who is pastor at Temple, began organizing a broad group of civic and church leaders, law enforcement and business leaders to address the city's gang problem.

"Out of every tragedy comes an opportunity,' said San Bernardino Police Chief Garrett W. Zimmon. "This young man's death has become the catalyst to get people together and deal with this problem.'

Although Turner's group is a large coalition, he said, the solution will require an even broader base of support.

"This problem goes beyond the church and what the churches are able to do,' he said. "We are reaching out for assistance to do the job at hand.'

In addition to Zimmon, the meeting was attended by more than a dozen pastors, County Superintendent of Schools Herb Fischer and officials from the District Attorney's Office, the Board of Supervisors and the county Public Health and Probation departments.

Turner outlined 13 categories where further research is needed to deal with gang problems identified by coalition members last week. Five more were identified at the meeting Tuesday.

According to a written plan of action, the group's next step will require finding people, agencies and programs equipped to deal with each problem and getting them involved.

In the next several days, members of the coalition will begin organizing the groups in charge of each category to schedule meetings, identify areas for discussion and build strategies for addressing problems.

He said the group also wants to avoid the pitfalls that have hindered past efforts to deal with the gang problem.

"We want to have three sets of goals,' Turner said. "Immediate implementation, short-term results and then long-term results.'

While the tone of the meeting was positive, several attendees warned that lack of planning could hamper the efforts of the group.

Paul Callanan, a county probation officer, said the group needs to look at information from other programs and collect research on the particular problem in San Bernardino before moving forward.

"We need to take a step back and say what works and what doesn't work,' he said.

But Turner said the individual groups created at Tuesday's meeting will be responsible for doing that type of research and that the organization of the effort will be handled by the coalition.

"We are not looking for solutions today,' he said. "We are looking at the areas we need to concentrate on. We need to identify the problem before we can start fixing the problem.'

On Tuesday, Inland Empire Concerned African-American Churches met and listed 18 topics they intended to address to deal with problems of gangs. The organization wants to gather experts in specific areas to come up with possible ways to approach the issue. The areas identified include:

-Education and literacy

-Parenting skills

-Life skills

-Mentoring

-Legal affairs

-Code enforcement

-Economic development

-Employment

-Counseling

-Graffiti and blight

-Outreach

-Finances

-Public relations

-Alternate youth activities

-Safe havens

-Data collection and research

-Race and cultural relations

-Spiritual guidance

Anyone wishing to participate or who would like more information may call the organization at (909) 535-6161.

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:I.E. Weekly news
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 12:53:56 AM »
Traffic Report:

Yesterday, at approximately 12:05 in tha PM.. there was a major collision on tha I10 off tha Cherry Ave Exit. The accident was believed to be caused by the slippery roads due to tha heavy rainfall over the past day. I was there LIVE headed west bound to see it for myself. Traffic was so congested it took us 45 minutes to drive from the Cherry exit to the Citrus Exit in fontana... a short 2 miles. That sucked. But that was yesterday and today's weather remains the same... many more accidents are predicted for today... stay tuned.

What's Crackin M Dogg... you back out here for Christmas Break or what? Get at me.. peace!

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

Inland_Bound

• Lil Geezy
Re: I.E. Weekly news
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 10:27:11 AM »
E'z UP!

Archetype

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 02:14:16 PM »
Why aren't we treated to the Grand Rapids Michigan weekly news?? An equally worthless topic?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »
Why aren't we treated to the Grand Rapids Michigan weekly news?? An equally worthless topic?

'cause I did this 6 years ago

LONDON!

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 04:47:20 AM »
didn't they put a gang injuction on the colton crips in colton city in the i.e, thats fucked up, i saw it on cnn or some channel like that a couple of weeks back, crazy, i know this must affect 40 glocc aswell, true stories, i think they put out a gang injuction on mitchy slick's blood crew in san diego aswell last year or the year before aswell, its crazy times we're living in, for real