Author Topic: Mack 10- Based on a true story  (Read 527 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Mack 10- Based on a true story
« on: December 18, 2002, 09:56:19 PM »
Yes yes yall Tech back with another review for ya ass

When Mack 10 released Based on a true story, it was at a great period in his career.  His self titled debut went gold and spawned the classics Foe Life and Westside Slaughterhouse.

With this album, Mack continued the streak of bangin Inglewood gangsta music.   Unfortunately, his latter work hasnt lived up to his earlier stuff

1. Mack Manson

A lil intro....

2. Chicken Hawk  4/5

Great way to start the album

3. Mack 10 Mack 10  3.5/5

The beat is dope, and Mack spits some slick shit
(young nigga rolling more stones than Mick Jagger)
His flow is dope and his vocals mesh with the beat good.
Only drag is the wack chorus.

4. Bangin Gears

A lil skit

5. Backyard Boogie  5/5
(Feat. Ice Cube)
Here it is. The classic track yall waitin on.  Ice Cube and Mack 10 collab on this west coast classic, produced by Bobcat. Just ya average west coast chillin in the summer eating BBQ track.  Still bump this regularly.

6. Cant Stop  4.5/5
(Feat. E 40)
Mack 10 and Forty collab on this track.  They go back and forth with their verses, great chemistry between the two.
This song is bumpin.

7. Tonites the Night  4.5/5
(Feat. Squeek Ru)
Yeah this is the gangsta late night shit.  Mack 10 and Squeek Ru from Allfrumthai come together on this track and the results are pure unadulterated gangsta shit.
Ya gotta love it.

8. Aqua Boogie
A lil skit

9. Guppies  4/5
The beat is bangin, and Mack spittin some real crazy shit
"I give the order is he dead? enuff said/
and all my followers got W's across their foreheads/"
This song ends an amazing first half of the album, so far Mack is coming with pure gold
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re:Mack 10- Based on a true story
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 10:03:25 PM »
10. Inglewood Swingin   2/5

Mack spits some good lyrics just describing life growing up in Inglewood and how he had to overcome obstacles and shit.  The only downpart is the beat, the sample is soooooo over used.

11.  Dopeman  3.5/5

Mack 10's adaptation of NWA's classic. He does a good job.
But its nothing spectacular.

12. What you need?  4/5

While Dopeman was a cover, this track is Mack's version.
He basically spittin about slangin and cooking coke, u know, juss ya regular grinding.  I like this better than his Dopeman version, alot better.

13. Only in California  5/5
(Feat. Ice Cube & Snoop Doggy Dogg)
Beautiful track, the one other classic on this album.
This is when Snoop was still on Death Row and Ice Cube was still semi hungry on the mic. A great collaboration breeds great music.

14. Gangsta Proem

A lil skit

15. W/S for life  4/5

Great beat, and Mack and a whole bunch of other fools rip the mic...(dont know who i forget).  The subject matter is kinda corny and redundant at times tho. But nonetheless, its a bangin song.

16. Based on a true story  3/5

This song is allright. Its basically Mack's reply to the criticism of gangsta rap, basically saying he gonna rep it to the death.  The lyrics is dope but the beat....

Conclusion

This is Mack 10's second album and its his second best.
This time period was Macks finest hour, this album was well rounded, had some great guest spots and MACK supplied the heat.  You may not like his newer shit, butif you love west coast music, u cant hate on this joint

7.5/10
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 08:49:35 PM »
Nice review.  I'd give a 5 to the last track though.  I love the beat.

Peace.

Smooth

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2002, 10:43:25 PM »
Nice review... I agree this was a high point in Mack's career... and Backyard Boogie is straight classic...
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • alldayeveryday another dope album!who can compete?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 12:14:33 AM »
i think it's his best release

selftitled album comin right after

T
REMEMBER: big dicks in yo ass is bad fo yo health!
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :
Eazy-E, Fo Clips, Cougnut, Big L, Mausberg, Roger Troutman, Tupac, Notorious BIG, Big Pun, Mr Cee & Hitman of RBL Posse, Speedy Loc, JMJ, Tone Capone

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK the Neptunes & Timbaland
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent
FUCK all RnB Snitches & Bitches

"im rare as finding warm pussy in an igloo"