Author Topic: The REAL thing/song that killed Hip-Hop...  (Read 1994 times)

Si-Chiggedy

Re: The REAL thing/song that killed Hip-Hop...
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »

that bling bling shit killed hip hop...

rap used to be the articulator for the people in the hood to speak some real shit and actually point out the problems. but it turned into white men's popmusic at a certain point when rapping about rims and gold chains was more important than people from your neighborhood suffering. I don't want generalize it though and it's legitimate that major music genres turn into or mix with pop music, but especially all this "look at me, I'm rich as fuck" braggadocio stuff turned hip-hop away from what it was.

sorry but the whole bling arguement is dumb as hell and whats more ITS OLD AS HELL. name ur 10 favourite rappers and i bet they glorified the high life in some of their raps. unless of course you somehow come out with the backpackers top 10 lol. we all want the good life and rap is about struggle, and people who came out that struggle want to talk about it, or at least dream about gettin out of it, so i dont care if it glorifies it, its still good. 

Yeah I see what you're trying to say. And to some point I agree because I really do like some of those songs. It don't matter if it's E-40, Snoop, Cube or even DJ Quik. All of them had their poppy songs, especially Snoop. But what I'm trying to say is, that those songs turned Hip-Hop into the wrong direction. I mean in a mainstream kind of way. All of them had their best songs when being "real" or better from the bottom. And you can see them going back to that. E-40 with his last album, Cube on tracks like "Hood Robbin" or "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It". Everyone of us likes some pop songs, that's nothing strange and never has been. But the point is, hip-hop was at its best when it tried to tell stories, you feel me? Just don't call my point dumb, I think you didn't really get what I was trying to point out. Just look at what people praise these days the most. I mean even on here. It's lyrics like those of rappers like Murs or Paris. Who really try to point something out not just telling which cognac brand they shift down their throat.

For example I really enjoy the track of N.E.R.D.'s new album "Life As A Fish" which is really trying to make a statement. That's what music should do, especially hip-hop, which was coming out of this kind of art form. And in the last decade we had so many bullshit topics to be rapped about. I mean even Terrace Martin showed us how easy it could be with this love and relationship thing. Hip-Hop has to have a direction, but the recent direction is just wrong. That's what Nas pointed out for example.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2010, 02:43:09 AM »
If Hip Hop didnt have a fun side i would die!

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2010, 08:55:41 AM »

rap used to be the articulator for the people in the hood to speak some real shit and actually point out the problems. but it turned into white men's popmusic at a certain point when rapping about rims and gold chains was more important than people from your neighborhood suffering. I don't want generalize it though and it's legitimate that major music genres turn into or mix with pop music, but especially all this "look at me, I'm rich as fuck" braggadocio stuff turned hip-hop away from what it was.

sorry but the whole bling arguement is dumb as hell and whats more ITS OLD AS HELL. name ur 10 favourite rappers and i bet they glorified the high life in some of their raps. unless of course you somehow come out with the backpackers top 10 lol. we all want the good life and rap is about struggle, and people who came out that struggle want to talk about it, or at least dream about gettin out of it, so i dont care if it glorifies it, its still good. 

Yeah I see what you're trying to say. And to some point I agree because I really do like some of those songs. It don't matter if it's E-40, Snoop, Cube or even DJ Quik. All of them had their poppy songs, especially Snoop. But what I'm trying to say is, that those songs turned Hip-Hop into the wrong direction. I mean in a mainstream kind of way. All of them had their best songs when being "real" or better from the bottom. And you can see them going back to that. E-40 with his last album, Cube on tracks like "Hood Robbin" or "Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It". Everyone of us likes some pop songs, that's nothing strange and never has been. But the point is, hip-hop was at its best when it tried to tell stories, you feel me? Just don't call my point dumb, I think you didn't really get what I was trying to point out. Just look at what people praise these days the most. I mean even on here. It's lyrics like those of rappers like Murs or Paris. Who really try to point something out not just telling which cognac brand they shift down their throat.

For example I really enjoy the track of N.E.R.D.'s new album "Life As A Fish" which is really trying to make a statement. That's what music should do, especially hip-hop, which was coming out of this kind of art form. And in the last decade we had so many bullshit topics to be rapped about. I mean even Terrace Martin showed us how easy it could be with this love and relationship thing. Hip-Hop has to have a direction, but the recent direction is just wrong. That's what Nas pointed out for example.

ok so ill admit the point isnt dumb when you explain it like that, makes a lot of sense. it think it just comes down to preference, i LOVE music with a message, something that can make me feel or think differently, something that can grab me. but fuck i love that ignornant shit too and i dont think one is wrong or right, they are just different. you could say the direction of hip-hop in the mainstream has become SHALLOW, fuck yeah, its shallow as hell and ill freely admit that, but it doesnt make it bad. not all music needs a message. i mean hell im a huge techno head and what is the message to that? there is a scene surrounding it all about being free, dancing, and getting fucked up, but really it has no message, its just music, and i think its wrong to downplay music just because it doesnt tell a story or have a serious message.

midwestryder

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2010, 03:12:22 PM »
Midwestplayerhater, that's ur new name
the only ignorant ass ,closeminded hater is you . I am the honest truth you can't handle. so your name is Loud Pack hater because that is all you are a hater

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »

ok so ill admit the point isnt dumb when you explain it like that, makes a lot of sense. it think it just comes down to preference, i LOVE music with a message, something that can make me feel or think differently, something that can grab me. but fuck i love that ignornant shit too and i dont think one is wrong or right, they are just different. you could say the direction of hip-hop in the mainstream has become SHALLOW, fuck yeah, its shallow as hell and ill freely admit that, but it doesnt make it bad. not all music needs a message. i mean hell im a huge techno head and what is the message to that? there is a scene surrounding it all about being free, dancing, and getting fucked up, but really it has no message, its just music, and i think its wrong to downplay music just because it doesnt tell a story or have a serious message.

I think the solution to this discussion is diversity. Both songs with a message and "fun" songs have their place in hip hop. But when all you are hearing all over the media is ignorant pop songs it makes the genre seem watered-down. I hate how other music genres are allowed to have diversity on a mainstream level, but for hip hop, the powers that be insist on latching onto the next trend and flooding the radio with songs that all try to sound alike.

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2010, 09:36:26 PM »

I think the solution to this discussion is diversity. Both songs with a message and "fun" songs have their place in hip hop. But when all you are hearing all over the media is ignorant pop songs it makes the genre seem watered-down. I hate how other music genres are allowed to have diversity on a mainstream level, but for hip hop, the powers that be insist on latching onto the next trend and flooding the radio with songs that all try to sound alike.

yeah, what both of you just posted is exactly what I feel like! don't get me wrong, I love some ignorant shit as hell. how else could you praise cats like too short, suga free or e-40? but it's exactly like you said, hip-hop went wrong with being seen as a genre dominated by black males talking bout their cars, rims, hoes, straps, alcoholics and weed types. it's just because nearly every rap song from the last decade that was in the top 20 was about such a thing. and i don't get why because there is so much message music out there too. it's just about how you deliver it. sometimes you need retarded songs. but i make a difference between songs which are retarded or trashy but still original as hell and those which are just wack. I don't even know how i should explain how i make the difference. for example sometimes i like lil jon songs, because they got energy and they are original because lil jon succeeded in creating his own formula and his own way of representing his shit. but on the other hand i detest guys like lil wayne for being just wack. I know some may say that lil wayne is doin the same thing but i feel like his shit is way more unoriginal an senseless. i couldnt even party to his tracks. at the end it's all about the taste anyway. but i think hip-hop is seen wrong just because of the incredibly high number of those pointless wack songs compared to the songs style or message in the mainstream. i mean e-40 went big with "tell me when to go" and i loved that song. and at the same time i hated when snoop came out with "i wanna fuck you".
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill