Author Topic: Dr. Dre's Aftermath Cognac Due in Stores This Month  (Read 2480 times)

dnjp4life

Re: Dr. Dre's Aftermath Cognac Due in Stores This Month
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »

It probably will and everyone will think it doesn't taste too good, and Dre will say it's not finished yet, "that's not the finished cognac," he hates these kinds of leaks and that he wants everyone to only drink it once it's ready

haha I can actually imagine Dre being that perfectionist about this.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »
First off, I have to go back and say I think Dre is relevant in a music sense.  He will always will be.  I'm one of his biggest fans.    If you look at posts by a lot people on this die-hard west-coast forum, you'll see some that don't.  A lotta fuck detox, fuck dre, bla bla bla.  So yes a lot of people would disagree with you about the relevant thing.  

Also all this Eminem and 50 sold 80 million albums, yea no shit.  But go ask the 15 year old girls who bought 60 million of these albums, who produced the hits records on them.  Do you think they know?  Of course not.  I know girls who were 11 when Next Episode came out.  They know the song now, how it sounds, and Snoop, but that is about it.  I'm sure they might know a couple other Dre joints but not so much.

In a marketing sense, that is my point.  I think if it was the same cognac but said Eminem Cognac it might do better because of how active he is.

EDIT: And is Detox is a smash I think he could market his own damn line of gin and juice hang over pills if he wanted to   8)
Yes, I do think the 15-year-old girls who bought those albums know who Dr. Dre is. He was a fairly vocal part of the promotion, early on. Not the most central part obviously but there is way more than enough of an audience to suggest his name could make some money in some outside ventures. And I'm also pretty sure teenage girls won't be buying Cognac or high-end headphones for their speakers either.

I talk to college girls all the time, they don't know shit about producers unless they're actually on the record (ie Timbaland or Kanye West). And I have to say that a lot of these people who bought 2001 when it came out have moved on from keeping up with rap.

Stan

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »
Yes, I do think the 15-year-old girls who bought those albums know who Dr. Dre is. He was a fairly vocal part of the promotion, early on....  And I'm also pretty sure teenage girls won't be buying Cognac or high-end headphones for their speakers either.

I talk to college girls all the time, they don't know shit about producers unless they're actually on the record (ie Timbaland or Kanye West). And I have to say that a lot of these people who bought 2001 when it came out have moved on from keeping up with rap.
Thank-you Rapsodie, that is exactly what I'm talking about.  In da Club was 2002, 2001 was '99, etc.  That's ten years ago, and like you said, people have moved on.  Could Dre have sold Cognac in 2001?  Who knows, but he would have a way way way better chance then than now.

@Jimmy H: I"m sure if you look at stats, which is what they do, you'll find out that a majority of people that buy rap albums are teenage boys and girls.  Dudes listen to it of course, but your argument about 80 millino people doesn't mean shit if that is the case.
 Who is going to buy this Cognac and why?  I think that is as simple as it gets...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
But are we talking about people who buy rap albums or are we talking about Dr. Dre as a brand name? In the case of Detox the album, it is about selling CD's but your discussion is about if Dre's name holds enough weight to branch out to other areas and I would say it does. In the case of people who will spend $300 on headphones, I'd say a good chunk of them are familiar with Dr. Dre. Dre's appearance at Fenway to promote the fuckers made headlines so I could say he's relevant. More over when he showed up as a surprise guest to close out the VMA's in 2007, the crowd responded. He got similar vibes when he was brought out at the Eminem-Jay-Z concert a few weeks back. He just got a front page feature with Em in Vibe so they must obviously think he can help sell magazines.

Relevance is more than just who's had a hit record in the last 3-5 years. I think if you maintain credibility with an audience over how ever many years, you can take your time and people will remember. Dre's been smart about keeping his brand name strong. I think that younger generation is far more aware of pop culture that might have proceeded them than they often get credit for. I'll pose this question. At what age, did some of you become aware of the music/movies from the decade(s) before your lifetime versus what age you were when you were exposed to it? As adults, we often get this superiority complex when it comes to the younger generation like the only way they can possibly know about anything entertainment-related is by listening to the radio or watching MTV. Let's cut the shit. Go through the last 20 years of hip-hop music and Dre is pretty heavily connected to a large portion of it. 

Stan

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 04:03:46 PM »
1)But are we talking about people who buy rap albums or are we talking about Dr. Dre as a brand name? .

2)Go through the last 20 years of hip-hop music and Dre is pretty heavily connected to a large portion of it.  
1)Both... they work hand in hand.  People who will buy rap albums are the ones that will also buy rap brands ie. clothing, shoes, video games, whatever.
Dr. Dre and headphones-- A+, also I've seen them market the shit out of them.... Every commerical, Entourage, movies, music videos, everywhere, you can't get abreak from them
Dr. Dre and beat software- A+++++++, I don't think you can go wrong.  I think if Dre sold a whole producers line of software and hardware he could be a billionaire, especially how easy recording/producing rap music is.  The guy above me who runs a big studio says he has no rap clients cuz they all just do it at home.

2) Agreed 100%
But regardless, who is gonna buy this cognac and why?  I mean Dre could market his own line of cars, like Snoop, but it doesn't mean anyone will buy itl  I think the album coming out with it would make a huge difference
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 04:06:39 PM by Stan »

Stan

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
Another thing, I almost forgot, was I probably am in that 0.5% of people out there who have his entire catalogue in mp3 form or whatever (minus world wreckin cru :).  I see your point with the superiourity thing however I'm gonna admit I'm older and I've been listening since the 90s.  I have been to Up in Smoke, got the DVD, paraphanelia, albums, etc....
But, I won't buy that cognac... why?  Because I don't drink cognac!  And neither do the girls that buy the albums.  So how the hell are they gonna get people who drink it to switch over? 

Jimmy H.

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »
But, I won't buy that cognac... why?  Because I don't drink cognac!  And neither do the girls that buy the albums.  So how the hell are they gonna get people who drink it to switch over? 
  Well, it's weird what you see people start to do when one of their favorite entertainers does. We'll see.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 06:10:52 AM »
I wonder if any of the cognac will leak early

Get it - "leak" early. Haha.
Wow that was sooooo funny... Actually no it wasn't but your horrible attempt at it was.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 01:50:28 PM »
Right. Dr. Dre isn't relevant at all. I'm sure those 80 million people who bought Eminem or 50 Cent albums over the last 10 years have forgot who he is completely because he hasn't put out an album as a solo artist in 10 years. Nevermind that he's the most famous producer in hip-hop history.
People don't know who Dr. Dre is? Right. It's not like he's working on an album that every rap fan has been talking about since he announced it.

First off, I have to go back and say I think Dre is relevant in a music sense.  He will always will be.  I'm one of his biggest fans.    If you look at posts by a lot people on this die-hard west-coast forum, you'll see some that don't.  A lotta fuck detox, fuck dre, bla bla bla.  So yes a lot of people would disagree with you about the relevant thing.  

Also all this Eminem and 50 sold 80 million albums, yea no shit.  But go ask the 15 year old girls who bought 60 million of these albums, who produced the hits records on them.  Do you think they know?  Of course not.  I know girls who were 11 when Next Episode came out.  They know the song now, how it sounds, and Snoop, but that is about it.  I'm sure they might know a couple other Dre joints but not so much.

In a marketing sense, that is my point.  I think if it was the same cognac but said Eminem Cognac it might do better because of how active he is.

EDIT: And is Detox is a smash I think he could market his own damn line of gin and juice hang over pills if he wanted to   8)

you have a really bad marketable sense...
just because Eminem is a more established househald-name than Dre - it doesn't necessarily mean that his name will be a more marketable brand in specfic outside ventures. In their early days, Roc-A-Fella and Bad Boy were always the more profitable names as money-generating brands globally (even though the recordlabels and artists werent established globally back then..
People are generally relating cognac and alcoholic bevergaes with Dre, more than Eminem - that's why Dre and Aftermath is a more profitable choice, than Eminem.. "Eminem Vodka?" Lol