Author Topic: Ice_Cube-I_Am_The_West-2010 [Discussion Thread]  (Read 5275 times)

Matty

Re: Ice_Cube-I_Am_The_West-2010 [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
well...the album starts very well but is overall not very good. best tracks are soul on ice, life in california and the two singles - rep the west and drink the kool-aid. hood robbin' and nothing like l.a. are also nice and chill but the rest is below average. really coulda done with some more solid production and without the southern sounding stuff.

Lunatic

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:27 AM »
1. A Boy Was Conceived (Intro) - Dope intro. Got that Cubeish intro theme to it. That voice with the dark beat in the back. Haha is that Mike Epps?
2. Soul On Ice - 3.5/5. Appropriate opening track beat. With this title, expected a darker beat but this is still tight. Hook is eyy. "U bout to smell my cologne?" lol. Tight track tho.

3. Life In California - 4.5/5 This a west coast bangin beat right here. Cube verse cool. Love his opening line. Jayo came simpler than I expected but it worked. Just not the typical "i'm lyrically  killing shit" verse from Jayo. I know for a fact he can still do that though. WC came tight! He had the best verse. Early leading candidate for favorite track on the album.

4. She Couldn't Make It On Her Own - 2/5. The rating is bad but I enjoy it for what it is. But I felt like rating wise, it's not fair to give it a pass. His sons are extremely average. Sound like typical young aspiring rappers nowadays. Probably the wackest Ice Cube song ever. I could bump it in the car with homies though.

5. Urbanian - 2.25/5. Beat is eyy. Very southern. "Google me bitch?" lol, retarded. Not feeling this at all. Not as bad as the last one though.

6. Y'all Know Who I Am - 2.75/5. Short song for all the features. Beat is modern but I dig it. His sons are very average again. WC killed it again though. Nice to see Maylay get to spit on a Cube record. He was ok on here; very short "verse" though (if u can even call it that). Song is basically a mess but it (slightly) gets a pass. Disappointed though.

Will do the rest later..
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2010, 12:24:05 AM »
1. A Boy Was Conceived (Intro) - Dope intro. Got that Cubeish intro theme to it. That voice with the dark beat in the back. Haha is that Mike Epps?
2. Soul On Ice - 3.5/5. Appropriate opening track beat. With this title, expected a darker beat but this is still tight. Hook is eyy. "U bout to smell my cologne?" lol. Tight track tho.

3. Life In California - 4.5/5 This a west coast bangin beat right here. Cube verse cool. Love his opening line. Jayo came simpler than I expected but it worked. Just not the typical "i'm lyrically  killing shit" verse from Jayo. I know for a fact he can still do that though. WC came tight! He had the best verse. Early leading candidate for favorite track on the album.

4. She Couldn't Make It On Her Own - 2/5. The rating is bad but I enjoy it for what it is. But I felt like rating wise, it's not fair to give it a pass. His sons are extremely average. Sound like typical young aspiring rappers nowadays. Probably the wackest Ice Cube song ever. I could bump it in the car with homies though.

5. Urbanian - 2.25/5. Beat is eyy. Very southern. "Google me bitch?" lol, retarded. Not feeling this at all. Not as bad as the last one though.

6. Y'all Know Who I Am - 2.75/5. Short song for all the features. Beat is modern but I dig it. His sons are very average again. WC killed it again though. Nice to see Maylay get to spit on a Cube record. He was ok on here; very short "verse" though (if u can even call it that). Song is basically a mess but it (slightly) gets a pass. Disappointed though.

Will do the rest later..

This is so far about on par with how I feel about the album, except 4 and 5 I would probably rate even lower LMAO

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
The last "fun" record Cube made was LNCL and the Peace Disc and they sound like Death Certificate or Lethal Injection compared to this.

Hang it up? Nah I won't go there with it yet, but Cube really needs to sit down with a set team of his people and work on conceptually themed music. Now for a millionaire that has to be tough or ehh at times, but this album really sounds like he put it out because he had to more so then the love for it. Hood Robbin- The Love of the music, She Couldn't- ehh.

And to me there is always time to make for talking about social commentary. Hell even in the U.S. all you gotta do is turn on the TV. I miss that Cube.

yeah, but he wants to fit in

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2010, 01:00:23 AM »
The last "fun" record Cube made was LNCL and the Peace Disc and they sound like Death Certificate or Lethal Injection compared to this.

Hang it up? Nah I won't go there with it yet, but Cube really needs to sit down with a set team of his people and work on conceptually themed music. Now for a millionaire that has to be tough or ehh at times, but this album really sounds like he put it out because he had to more so then the love for it. Hood Robbin- The Love of the music, She Couldn't- ehh.

And to me there is always time to make for talking about social commentary. Hell even in the U.S. all you gotta do is turn on the TV. I miss that Cube.

That is unfortunate lol. Because there was a time Cube did not conform for shit. That was one of the qualities that made him one of the greatest

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2010, 01:03:27 AM »
yeah, not sure what made him change.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2010, 01:04:47 AM »
We Be Clubbin  ;)

Portugoal

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2010, 01:13:52 AM »

That is unfortunate lol. Because there was a time Cube did not conform for shit. That was one of the qualities that made him one of the greatest

You guys over analyze Ice Cube. He doesn't have to make music for a living; the man is a successful Hollywood actor.

All Cube wants to do is make music he wants to make and then he hopes his fans (and others) like it. If you don't like this album, you've got plenty of other (Cube) albums to listen to.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »

You guys over analyze Ice Cube. He doesn't have to make music for a living; the man is a successful Hollywood actor.

All Cube wants to do is make music he wants to make and then he hopes his fans (and others) like it. If you don't like this album, you've got plenty of other (Cube) albums to listen to.

I ain't over analyzing it. At the same token I am not going to sit up here and say I love a particular song when I don't. I reserve that right as a fan.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2010, 02:20:33 AM »
don't bother, it's mauzip

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2010, 02:30:49 AM »
Somebody has to tell Cube that repeating the same line ten times in a song is fucking wack ... it was already the case in some songs on Raw Footage but he took it to another level on this one...  :-X

kuruptDPG

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2010, 07:25:56 AM »
03. Life In California Ft. Jayo And WC
07. Too West Coast Ft. WC And Maylay
08. I Rep That West
09. Drink The Kool-Aid
11. It Is What It Is
12. Hood Robbin
13. Your Money Or Your Life
14. Nothing Like L.A.
16. Fat Cat

these are my fave traks, so most the album is dope but when you have the title "I Am The West" all traks on the album need to be tight and no southern influence should be on it whatsoever.

I CANT WAIT TO HEAR THAT TRAK WITH E-A-SKI SO HOPFULLY THAT'LL BE A TRACK TO LOOK FORWARD TOO

papa-smurf

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2010, 12:08:48 PM »
since i dont like the whole album.im not gonna buy the whole album.im a just buy the songs tht i like off itunes,thats how im a support cube.thank god for itunes.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »
since i dont like the whole album.im not gonna buy the whole album.im a just buy the songs tht i like off itunes,thats how im a support cube.thank god for itunes.
yeah  cuz Cube is strugging for money these days
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

S.C. The Beast

• 'G'
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »
if you honestly think that you are insane, cube has much, MUCH more bread than crooked h. and be honest, you dont like ice cube because of crooked h