Author Topic: You know hip-hop is in a sorry state when...  (Read 494 times)

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
You know hip-hop is in a sorry state when...
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »
Billboard has just released a top 40 of the biggest selling digital downloads released BEFORE 2000. Now digital downloads only started in the 00's and only took off from the mid-00's, so basically this is a chart of the best selling recurrent tracks.

This list is chock-full of rock and pop with Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" being way ahead of everybody else with more than 4 million digital copies sold.

But what would you think were the biggest selling old hip-hop hits? "Nuthin' But A G Thang"? "Regulate"? "I'll Be Missing You"? "Cailifornia Love"? "My Name Is"? "If I Ruled The World"?

NO!

The biggest selling recurrent "hip-hop" hits ARE:

1. Vanilla Ice: Ice Ice Baby (1,202,000 copies)
2. MC Hammer: U Can't Touch This (1,167,000 copies)

No other "hip-hop" hits even makes the top 40. Seriously, I thought that those two tracks were forgotten by 1992 or so. Why are people still buying those ahead of every other hip-hop classic around? Makes no sense.

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: You know hip-hop is in a sorry state when...
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:37:42 AM »
It's rather obvious isn't it? Those songs have become popular enough that they have transcended hip hop into the pop genre. You really expect the average music listener to be listening to Dr. Dre or Nas? LMAO. What song are you more likely to hear at a party? Matter of fact I heard U Can't Touch This just the other day at a fair.

The biggest hip hop records have ALWAYS been the more poppier records. You just realizing this now? Since you didn't know this, would you happen to be a euro?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:39:58 AM by rapsodie sees the groupie in you »

Anunikke

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 12:41:28 AM »
It's rather obvious isn't it? Those songs have become popular enough that they have transcended hip hop into the pop genre. You really expect the average music listener to be listening to Dr. Dre or Nas? LMAO. What song are you more likely to hear at a party? Matter of fact I heard U Can't Touch This just the other day at a fair.

The biggest hip hop records have ALWAYS been the more poppier records. You just realizing this now?

Actually I do excpect them to know Stiill DRE and maybe the next episode or California love.

I'm a hip hop head but Can't touch this is still my shit.
It's still a meme for fucks sake

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 12:50:34 AM »

The biggest hip hop records have ALWAYS been the more poppier records. You just realizing this now?

Actually I do excpect them to know Stiill DRE and maybe the next episode or California love.

You're talking hip hop fans though. People who don't listen to hip hop probably wouldn't know of those songs. But everyone and their mama would know of U Can't Touch This, either through hearing it at a party or seeing it in a movie, etc. Like I said, I just heard it the other day at this fair. Those songs aren't even on the same level as far as exposure in pop culture. You're only 17 right? The majority of kids your age have no fucking clue about any of those songs you mentioned, except maybe California Love because you can still hear that song once in a while. I haven't heard Still Dre on the radio (or anywhere else for that matter) for 10 years  ;D

Anunikke

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:02:42 AM »

You're talking hip hop fans though. People who don't listen to hip hop probably wouldn't know of those songs. But everyone and their mama would know of U Can't Touch This, either through hearing it at a party or seeing it in a movie, etc. Like I said, I just heard it the other day at this fair. Those songs aren't even on the same level as far as exposure in pop culture. You're only 17 right? The majority of kids your age have no fucking clue about any of those songs you mentioned, except maybe California Love because you can still hear that song once in a while. I haven't heard Still Dre on the radio (or anywhere else for that matter) for 10 years  ;D
Actually they do, even those who didn't know it was dre knew the songs.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 07:44:59 AM »

Where the fuck do you go to school? Hip hop 101? I go to a college and most of the people here don't know of those songs. I felt so proud this summer because I finally met a chick who knew about 90s rap. Its a dead genre among the younger generation.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:23:53 AM »
Yeah, for real, I would expect this; let alone be "surprised".

Do you have a link to the list? I'm interested in seeing what made it, but I know for a fact that the average person doesn't know "Regulate" or "If I Ruled The World".

I guess I can say I'm a little surprised that Eminem isn't up there, because he is more of a worldwide name. Even some people who don't listen or like rap still listen to his music.

But in the end, who cares? I wouldn't say these songs are the greatest songs of all-time, they just are the most popular and can be listened to by people that are fans of any genre.

Anunikke

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:40:52 AM »

Where the fuck do you go to school? Hip hop 101? I go to a college and most of the people here don't know of those songs. I felt so proud this summer because I finally met a chick who knew about 90s rap. Its a dead genre among the younger generation.
Other country, maybe those songs were bigger here.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
1. Vanilla Ice: Ice Ice Baby (1,202,000 copies)
2. MC Hammer: U Can't Touch This (1,167,000 copies)

classic hiphop-records.. classic, classic.. how the fuck can people still hate on these two legenderay songs, in 2010 - is beyond me..
in comparison with all the laugable bullhsit that's on the radio nowadays - people should be proud of these songs..

Al Bundy

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 12:41:03 PM »

you'd be surprised at how many people know old rap tracks

Jimmy H.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
How can you say hip-hop is in a sorry state based off of what songs from "before 2000" people are downloading? I'm a little surprised at no "Baby Got Back" though.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 07:16:34 PM »

The biggest hip hop records have ALWAYS been the more poppier records. You just realizing this now? Since you didn't know this, would you happen to be a euro?

Yeah sometimes I hear that at the club, that song is still bumping 8)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »

You're talking hip hop fans though. People who don't listen to hip hop probably wouldn't know of those songs. But everyone and their mama would know of U Can't Touch This, either through hearing it at a party or seeing it in a movie, etc. Like I said, I just heard it the other day at this fair. Those songs aren't even on the same level as far as exposure in pop culture. You're only 17 right? The majority of kids your age have no fucking clue about any of those songs you mentioned, except maybe California Love because you can still hear that song once in a while. I haven't heard Still Dre on the radio (or anywhere else for that matter) for 10 years  ;D

lol, maybe it is a euro thing. That would certainly explain why the majority of the people on this site are from there. Gangsta rap is practically dead here.

Anyway, in America, U Can't Touch This and Ice Ice Baby were big enough pop hits where they became cultural references. Gangsta rap songs typically do not.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:43:34 PM by rapsodie sees the groupie in you »

Anunikke

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 11:58:50 PM »

You're talking hip hop fans though. People who don't listen to hip hop probably wouldn't know of those songs. But everyone and their mama would know of U Can't Touch This, either through hearing it at a party or seeing it in a movie, etc. Like I said, I just heard it the other day at this fair. Those songs aren't even on the same level as far as exposure in pop culture. You're only 17 right? The majority of kids your age have no fucking clue about any of those songs you mentioned, except maybe California Love because you can still hear that song once in a while. I haven't heard Still Dre on the radio (or anywhere else for that matter) for 10 years  ;D

lol, maybe it is a euro thing. That would certainly explain why the majority of the people on this site are from there. Gangsta rap is practically dead here.

Anyway, in America, U Can't Touch This and Ice Ice Baby were big enough pop hits where they became cultural references. Gangsta rap songs typically do not.
Probably, the only hip-hop concerts I've seen selling tickets are gangster rap.
Snoop, Wu-Tang & Cypress hill sold out when Wayne had to change the date 5 times before enough people had bought a ticket and 50 cancelled right away when nobody bought tickets.

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 04:21:07 AM »
Someone asked for the whole list. Here it is courtesy of billboard:

1. Journey, "Don't Stop Believin,'" 4,013,000. This invigorating arena-rock anthem was featured in the final episode of The Sopranos and in the first episode of Glee. The song reached #9 in December 1981. It was featured on the band's #1 album Escape..

2. Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole, "Over The Rainbow"/"What A Wonderful World," 2,563,000. The Hawaiian singer and ukulele player recorded this medley, which couples Judy Garland's 1939 classic with Louis Armstrong's 1967 gem, in 1993. Four years later, he died of respiratory failure at age 38. (See #26.).

3. Michael Jackson, "Thriller," 2,432,000. This Halloween perennial was the seventh top 10 hit from Jackson's Thriller album. No previous album had spawned more than four top 10 hits. "Thriller," which features a spooky voice-over by actor Vincent Price, reached #4 in March 1984..

4. Survivor, "Eye Of The Tiger," 2,351,000. Sylvester Stallone featured this pumped-up track in Rocky III. The smash was #1 for six weeks in July and August 1982 and won a Grammy for Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal. It was Survivor's only #1 hit and propelled their Eye Of The Tiger album to #2..

5. Bon Jovi, "Livin' On A Prayer," 2,230,000. Bon Jovi followed the #1 hit "You Give Love A Bad Name" with this arena-rock anthem, which became an even bigger hit. The song spent four weeks at #1 in February and March 1987. It was from the band's #1 album Slippery When Wet..

6. Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Sweet Home Alabama," 2,172,000. This Southern rock classic, which reached #8 in October 1974, was Lynyrd Skynyrd's only top 10 hit. It was featured on the band's sophomore album, Second Helping. Kid Rock lifted from the song for his 2008 hit "All Night Long.".

7. Queen, "Bohemian Rhapsody," 2,161,000. Queen's epic appeared on the 1975 album A Night At The Opera. It made the top 10 twice: in April 1976, when it became the band's first top 10 hit, and again in 1992, when it was featured in Wayne's World. The Freddie Mercury song peaked at #2 in May 1992, six months after Mercury became the first major rock star to die from AIDS..

8. Guns N' Roses, "Sweet Child O' Mine," 2,087,000. This rock classic was the biggest hit from the band's chart-topping 1987 debut album Appetite For Destruction. The single reached #1 in September 1988. (A 1999 cover version by Sheryl Crow won a Grammy, but the original wasn't even nominated. How crazy is that?).

9. Michael Jackson, "Billie Jean," 1,964,000. This classic spent seven weeks at #1 in March and April 1983, the longest run for any Jackson single to that point. This is the R&B oldie with the most paid downloads (I classify "Thriller" as pop). "Billie Jean" won two Grammys: Best New Rhythm & Blues Song and Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male..

10. Queen, "We Will Rock You," 1,960,000. This Brian May song appeared on the band's 1977 album News Of The World as the lead-in to Freddie Mercury's "We Are The Champions." The latter song was the hit single. The two-song sequence finally made the Hot 100 in 1992. Warrant covered "We Will Rock You" in 1992..

11. Guns N' Roses, "Welcome To The Jungle," 1,821,000. This song, the follow-up to "Sweet Child O' Mine," reached #7 in December 1988. Both were featured on the blockbuster album Appetite For Destruction..

12. Green Day, "Time Of Your Life (Good Riddance)," 1,794,000. The bittersweet song from the band's 1997 album Nimrod wasn't released as a single, but it hit #11 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart. It helped pave the way for the band's subsequent success with the rock ballads "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends.".

13. Ozzy Osbourne, "Crazy Train," 1,750,000. This track from Osbourne's solo debut album, Blizzard Of Ozz, bubbled under the Hot 100 in July 1981. The former Black Sabbath front-man didn't crack the chart (as a solo artist) until 1986, when he scored with "Shot In The Dark.".

14. Eagles, "Hotel California," 1,741,000. The richly textured recording hit #1 in May 1977. It was the title track from the band's fifth studio album. It later became the first rock track to win a Grammy for Record of the Year..

15. Bon Jovi, "Wanted Dead Or Alive," 1,701,000. This was the third single from the band's Slippery When Wet Album. Surprisingly, it has sold more downloads than the chart-topping lead-off single, "You Give Love A Bad Name" (1,081,000). "Wanted Dead Or Alive" reached #7 in June 1987..

16. Michael Jackson, "Beat It," 1,649,000. This genre-bending smash logged three weeks at #1 in April and May 1983. It won two Grammys: Record of the Year and Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male. This is the third of three hits from Thriller on this list..

17. Goo Goo Dolls, "Iris," 1,634,000. This track from the City Of Angels soundtrack topped the Hot 100 Airplay chart for four months in 1998, though it was never released as a single. It also received Grammy nominations for Record and Song of the Year. It was also featured on the band's album Dizzy Up The Girl..

18. Metallica, "Enter Sandman," 1,600,000. This song was featured on the Metallica album, which is the best-selling album of the Nielsen/SoundScan era (with sales of 15,586,000 copies). The album won a Grammy for Best Metal Performance With Vocal. "Enter Sandman," which hit #16 in October 1991, was the band's first top 20 hit..

19. Mariah Carey, "All I Want For Christmas Is You," 1,586,000. This zesty song from Carey's Merry Christmas album has been a holiday perennial since 1994. It's the best-selling Christmas song of the digital era..

20. The Verve, "Bitter Sweet Symphony," 1,536,000. This hit samples an orchestral version of the Rolling Stones' 1965 hit "The Last Time." It originated on The Verve's 1997 album Urban Hymns. That was the band's only album. The song hit #12 in April 1998. It was the band's only chart hit..

21. Lynyrd Skynyrd, "Free Bird," 1,492,000. Allen Collins and Ronnie Van Zant co-wrote this song as a tribute to Duane Allman, who died in a motorcycle crash in 1971. It appeared on Lynyrd Skynyrd's 1973 debut album. The song peaked at #19 in January 1975. A live version went top 40 in January 1977. Van Zant and other band members died in a plane crash later that year..

22. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," 1,483,000. Nirvana's first and biggest hit reached #6 in February 1992. It was the band's only top 10 hit. It was featured on the generation-defining #1 album Nevermind..

23. Oasis, "Wonderwall," 1,462,000. This song hit #8 in March 1996. It was the band's only top 10 hit. The song originated on the band's 1995 album (What's The Story) Morning Glory?.

24. Van Morrison, "Brown Eyed Girl," 1,365,000. This 1967 smash has sold more downloads than any other song released in the 1960s. It was Morrison's first and most famous hit. The song reached #10 in September 1967. It was featured on his album Blowin' Your Mind!.

25. Michael Jackson, "Man In The Mirror," 1,358,000. The Andrae Crouch Choir, The Winans and Siedah Garrett provided backing vocals on this gospel-edged ballad, which was #1 for two weeks in March and April 1988. It was the fourth #1 hit from Bad. It received a Grammy nomination for Record of the Year. (It shoulda won.).

26. Louis Armstrong, "What A Wonderful World," 1,335,000. Armstrong introduced this lovely ballad in October 1967. It was an easy listening hit at the time, but it didn't crack the Hot 100 until 1988, when it was featured in the Robin Williams movie Good Morning, Vietnam. (It peaked at #32 in April 1988.).

27. Michael Jackson, "Don't Stop ‘Til You Get Enough," 1,309,000. This superb single served notice that Jackson wasn't a kid anymore. It was the first single from Off The Wall, his first album as an adult. The song reached #1 in October 1979. It also brought Jackson his first Grammy, for Best R&B Vocal Performance, Male..

28. Charlie Daniels Band, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," 1,303,000. This is the country oldie with the most paid downloads. It hit #3 in September 1979 and won a Grammy for Best Country Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group. The song, featured on Million Mile Reflections, was Daniels' biggest hit..

29. Jeff Buckley, "Hallelujah," 1,261,000. Buckley included this Leonard Cohen song on his 1995 album, Grace. The song didn't crack the Hot 100, but it has since become a classic. Buckley drowned two years later at age 30. (He was just two years older at the time of his death than his father, Tim Buckley, who died of an overdose at age 28.).

30. Boston, "More Than A Feeling," 1,249,000. This classic from Boston's 1976 debut album all but defined AOR (album-oriented rock). The song, which reached #5 in December 1976, was Boston's first chart hit. Boston was nominated for a Grammy as Best New Artist, but lost to Starland Vocal Band. (Really.).

31. Queen, "We Are The Champions," 1,243,000. This grand and theatrical song, written by the grand and theatrical Freddie Mercury, reached #4 in February 1978. The song, which was featured on News Of The World, was Queen's first top five hit..

32. The Who, "Baba O'Riley," 1,233,000. Millions know this rock classic as the theme song from CSI: NY. The song originated on The Who's 1971 album Who's Next. It wasn't released as a single, but it has sold more downloads than either of the album's hit singles, "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Behind Blue Eyes.".

33. Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Under The Bridge," 1,232,000. This moody song from the band's 1991 album Blood Sugar Sex Magik reached #2 in June 1992. It was the band's first top 40 hit and it remains the band's biggest hit to date..

34. Johnny Cash, "Ring Of Fire," 1,214,000. This country smash hit #17 in July 1963. It powered his 1963 compilation Ring Of Fire (The Best Of Johnny Cash), which rode The Billboard 200 for more than a year..

35. Vanilla Ice, "Ice Ice Baby," 1,202,000. Ice's debut smash, from his #1 album To The Extreme, reached #1 in November 1990. It's the hip-hop oldie with the most paid downloads. The bass line was lifted from "Under Pressure," a 1981 collabo by Queen and David Bowie, which has sold nearly as many downloads (1,167,000)..

36. Etta James, "At Last," 1,200,000. Glenn Miller & His Orchestra introduced this classic ballad in 1942. James took it to #47 in February 1961. She had nine higher-charting hits, but none as enduring as this. The song was featured on her album At Last! Beyonce sang it in Cadillac Records (and at President Obama's inaugural gala)..

37. Neil Diamond, "Sweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good)," 1,197,000. Diamond's catchy sing-along smash reached #4 in August 1969. It was his highest-charting hit of the '60s. Bobby Womack covered the song in 1972. .

38. Aerosmith, "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing," 1,195,000. This power ballad from Armageddon logged four weeks at #1 in September 1998. It was the band's only #1 hit. The Diane Warren song was a Grammy and Oscar contender for Song of the Year. Mark Chesnutt had a hit country version in 1999..

39. Phil Collins, "In The Air Tonight," 1,188,000. This striking ballad, from Collins' 1981 solo debut album Face Value, hit #19 in August 1981. The song had a resurgence in 1984 after it was featured in an episode of Miami Vice..

40. MC Hammer, "U Can't Touch This," 1,167,000. Hammer's signature hit took its melody from Rick James' 1981 classic "Super Freak (Part I)." It reached #8 in June 1990 and won Grammys for Best Rap Solo Performance and Best Rhythm & Blues Song. It was the first and most famous hit from the #1 album Please Hammer Don't Hurt ‘Em..