Author Topic: the most perfect career in Hiphop?  (Read 697 times)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

the most perfect career in Hiphop?
« on: September 25, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »
my pick.... Snoop Dogg - "the only rapper even your grandmother knows about"..
i gotta give it up to this guy.. no rapper has a better career than Snoop Dogg and never had in the HipHop-industry, from a succesful point of view and if we're talking about longevity without fall-offs.. his bank-account, and his skills as a rapper is irrelevant.
some of the soundscan-digits for some of his albums weren't that good, but everything else that he accomplished during his 18 year run - outweighs the soundscan-digits for some of his albums..

never fell off one single time.. year after year, Snoop was always there - featured on some of the biggest singles, one song on every artists album. always relevant from a media-perspective. no other Hiphop-artist acchieved that..
 always consistent/making hundres of songs every year. adapting himself with the times musically..
all the rappers with the big names in the this biz, went through renaissances with their careers. all of them. there were times when Jay-Z, Eminem wasn't there.. Snoop ALWAYS been there.. Snoop never made a "comeback". Even when he signed to No Limit and dropped his first album over there, he was still relevant and still a big pop-artist..

there is no rapper period, who can fit perfectly on every type of instrumental - and make it sound legit and/or perfect. Every rapper in the world got their own areas musically - their own niché. not this guy. Snoop works on everything..
 the perfect "guest-appearnce" rapper. You can't find a rapper with a more characteristic voice as Snoop..

the only rapper that never gets himself into trouble - everybody in the whole music-industry fucks wit Snoop. he's like the Dalai Lama of HipHop.. he's got the record of most features in HipHop-history (Busta Rhymes comes 2nd)..

no rapper has been in more mainstream movies, tv-shows than Snoop.. (59 credits on imdb.com)

i think the only rapper who cooked with Martha Stewart on her show. lol

two classic albums - "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle" (both payed the way for the West Coasts artist-scene, and for it's musical identity during the 90's)

and undoubtedly and logically, also the King of the West Coast..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:08:47 PM by imsohappydatmydiccsbig »

soopa-man

Re: the most perfect career in Hiphop?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
hes one of five really to me, if you count Puffy its five, Dre is undeniably the knig of hip hop PERIOD, but Jay and Em run this shit lyrically and financially now, 2pac is still one of the most glorified and respected in and out of hip hop, and Ice Cube is the smartest and most creative hip hop artist to me, he changed hip hop stated his claim and rose to fame without catchy singles and r&b hooks, now hes a major Hollywood player granted Will Smith is Knig at that, but Cube owns and writes producs all of his films some thing Will has barely started doing...those five are undeniably the biggest hip hop artist of the last decade, and if they choose at this point maybe another decade to follow...

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 12:53:34 PM »
yeah, i feel your list.. good choices.. Puffy comes second to me..

the reason why i picked Snoop, is because at the end of the day - i think longevity without fall-offs, is the most precious element of a career, and i think Snoop is alone in that field. sustaining yourself as a superstar from the day your career begins, all the way until the present day.. 18 long years.
nothing beats that. that's why Snoop's got the best career in my book..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 12:55:30 PM by imsohappydatmydiccsbig »

Jimmy H.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 02:12:14 PM »
Snoop has always maintained an audience, which is good, but I don't know if I'd say he had the best career in hip-hop. When did Jay or Em fall off? They had their setbacks but even at worst, they were probably both doing better numbers than Snoop. Snoop's strength is his ability to stay relevant in pop culture but I don't think that is always based off what he's doing in rap music.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »
Eminem disappeared for almost 6 years, with no relevance at all.. and Jay-Z had plenty of hiatuses during his career. From the Jaz-O days as a teenager to the early Roc-a-fella career.. there were times in his career where he almost didn't exist..

the keyword im looking for here is. "sustaining superstar status from the day your career begins, tll present day".. the only one in HipHop-history who acchieved that is Snoop Dogg. that's why he has the best/perfect career of all rappers...

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 10:56:39 PM »
Eminem disappeared for almost 6 years, with no relevance at all.. and Jay-Z had plenty of hiatuses during his career. From the Jaz-O days as a teenager to the early Roc-a-fella career.. there were times in his career where he almost didn't exist..

the keyword im looking for here is. "sustaining superstar status from the day your career begins, tll present day".. the only one in HipHop-history who acchieved that is Snoop Dogg. that's why he has the best/perfect career of all rappers...

Snoop is relevant today?  :D

Anyway, Ice Cube has been around for longer than Snoop Dogg and he is still relevant as far as the media is concerned with movies, tv and what not.

If we're talking longevity, LL Cool J came out in 1985 and managed to stay relevant until 2006. That's 21 years. Snoop is at 18 years right now and I'd say his relevance is up.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 11:08:37 PM by rapsodie sees the groupie in you »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »
Snoop is one of those rare artists that his persona is damn near larger than life. It has definitely surpassed the music he puts out.

MistaNova

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »
Snoop's definatly got one of best careers a rapper has ever had. I think Bun B's had a great career too though. Dude's been featured on so many songs that people might only know him for his solo work instead of his UGK shit.

Anunikke

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 12:04:22 AM »
Snoop's definatly got one of best careers a rapper has ever had. I think Bun B's had a great career too though. Dude's been featured on so many songs that people might only know him for his solo work instead of his UGK shit.
I love that about Bun B, one day you'll hear him on a song with soulja boy then a week later he's on a song with ill bill

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 02:54:26 AM »

Snoop is relevant today?  :D

Anyway, Ice Cube has been around for longer than Snoop Dogg and he is still relevant as far as the media is concerned with movies, tv and what not.

If we're talking longevity, LL Cool J came out in 1985 and managed to stay relevant until 2006. That's 21 years. Snoop is at 18 years right now and I'd say his relevance is up.

lmao! LL fuckin Cool J?! are you serious? he managed to drop like 10 albums in like a 25-yearspan.. and 2 of them, were just "greatesthits"-compilations. is that relevat? and many of those albums went wood, and sold worse than some of Snoop's lacklustre efforts (not that it matters). but LL's career is the perfect defintion of a comeback-rapper. no rapper in history have gone trhough as many comebacks as James Todd Smith - you cant even compare his career to Snoops. when he wasn't doing albums, he did a few movies - but there were many  years, when he didn't do any movies or music at all.. same thing with Ice Cube...
i gotta give it up to LL and Cube tho, they had pretty good careers.
but and what im still looking for is "sustaining superstar-status".. i repeat "Superstar"..
every year, every day.. no falls-offs, and always relevant in media and productive with your craft..

what sums up the perfect career is this (at least to me):
longevity without no fall-offs while keeping the superstar-status (and that's the most precious element to any career) from the day your career begins (Snoop has been a superstar, relevant every day since 1992/93)

and at the same time, also being productive with your craft.
which rapper dropped more material than Snoop, ever?  

more guest-appearances than any other rappper (worldrecord)  
10 soloalbums
4 group-albums
1 ep
3 compilations
16 official mixtapes
3 digital releases
 that's 37 projects

and
59 movies, tv-shows

Snoop's career is unbeatable..
some rappers managed to generate more money than him (Jigga, Puff, Master P, 50 etc), but that "superstar-longevity"-thing makes Snoop undoubtedly the winner, and the king-of-careers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 03:16:26 AM by imsohappydatmydiccsbig »

wardy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 03:04:18 AM »
Only one off LL Cool J's albums have failed to get a plaque and that was his last one, that is some record tbh considering how long he has been around. He never seems to get the respect he deserves. Agree with the snoop dogg having beet career in hiphop since day one he has been in the spotlight and has since become a major celebrity. Gotta give snoop and cube props tbh how they can change there image around and even do family movies, 10 years ago if someone said cube would do a few family movies everyone would of laughed tbh.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 04:19:51 AM »
yah yah snoops career is so unbeatable (and no disrespect to the guy, hes a legend) that he only has 2 fuckin good albums, dont even write his own rhymes anymore and hasnt for well over a decade, does songs with any flavour of the month artist in a lame attempt to stay relevant and does a fuckin reality tv show just for a bit of cash. snoop dogg is more of a character and brand these days than a rapper, lets not get it twisted.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:22 AM »
lmao! LL fuckin Cool J?! are you serious? he managed to drop like 10 albums in like a 25-yearspan.. and 2 of them, were just "greatesthits"-compilations. is that relevat? and many of those albums went wood, and sold worse than some of Snoop's lacklustre efforts (not that it matters).

hahahhaha, you don't know shit. Do your history, he's got more plaques than Snoop.

You know what went wood? Snoop's last album. Which kinda makes your whole argument null considering he isn't relevant anymore. Snoop has fallen the fuck off I don't see how you can deny that.

what sums up the perfect career is this (at least to me):
longevity without no fall-offs while keeping the superstar-status (and that's the most precious element to any career) from the day your career begins (Snoop has been a superstar, relevant every day since 1992/93)

Snoop has clearly fallen the fuck off the last few years. End thread.

and at the same time, also being productive with your craft.
which rapper dropped more material than Snoop, ever?  

more guest-appearances than any other rappper (worldrecord)  
10 soloalbums
4 group-albums
1 ep
3 compilations
16 official mixtapes
3 digital releases
 that's 37 projects

There are many rappers who have dropped more material than Snoop

Snoop's career is unbeatable..
some rappers managed to generate more money than him (Jigga, Puff, Master P, 50 etc), but that "superstar-longevity"-thing makes Snoop undoubtedly the winner, and the king-of-careers.

He hasn't been the longest superstar, since I just pointed out that both Cube and LL Cool J have had longer careers.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:39:55 AM »
I'd say Jay-Z; he has his fair share of weak music, but Snoop hasn't made anything memorable since Doggystyle.

Snoop Dogg isn't even a rapper anymore, he's just a celebrity who has that "fashizzle my nizzle" thing tied to him.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
I'd say Jay-Z; he has his fair share of weak music, but Snoop hasn't made anything memorable since Doggystyle.

Snoop Dogg isn't even a rapper anymore, he's just a celebrity who has that "fashizzle my nizzle" thing tied to him.

He's also had 11 platinum albums, more than Snoop.