Author Topic: the most perfect career in Hiphop?  (Read 714 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: the most perfect career in Hiphop?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »
You're not making any sense. First you want to base this on longevity, now you want overall popularity? Pick one and stick with it. Cause either one Snoop isn't at the top.
Yup. I'm trying to have the same argument but can't even follow where he's going with it. Name someone with way more consecutive #1's and he'll bring out the argument of longevity, even if his sales/popularity are nowhere in the same ball park. Snoop is definitely an icon but to say he has the greatest career in rap today? Just don't agree.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 03:49:28 AM »
im basing it of longevity while at the same time, sustaingin the superstar-elemnet.. why do i have to repeat myself in every reply i make?
im basing it off on both - longevity and popularity - with relevancy/creativty to the subjects craft at hand..
***His argument is basically, "who is the bigger name?". That's debateable,**
rofl - no, that's not debatable. how in the hell can Jay-Z be a bigger name than Snoop, when his artist Rihanna is 5 times bigger than him himself? Jay-Z is an american local-rapper, Snoop is a brand that expands globally.. kill that noise
besides, im not debating on who got the bigger name - im arguin on what is eligible enough to define something as "perfect" to an artist career. everything is so stereotypical with all of you - "Jigga got more money, yaddi-yadda.." taht's irrelvant.. im stickin to it like i said. repeating myself, once again - NOTHIN outweighs superstar-dom for 17 years straight, and never falling off with your creative craft and work ethic. nothing, period..  and nobody has done that - not LL Cool J or Ice Cube or anybidy else.. just Snoop - factual consistency
im surprised about the Moka Only-guy.. 47 albums? wow, allright.. but bring me another name, i dont buy that "many rappers got more music than Snoop"-reasoning..

and no junior, Snoop's got more plaques than LL. check his 14-albums.. if you add that shit up, Snoop's C.V. outweighs LL's.. you might as well add "The Chronic" to that list, which was also a Snoop-album.. and there you have it..
*******People accused him of falling off because of the quality of his albums and the fact he was making so many soft songs.***
people accused of him falling-off, not solely because of his goddamn songs. LL simply wasn't there, point blank period.. there were years when he wasnt even doing any movies at all..

im not killing an argument, Snoop has been relevant for 17 years as an artist with one of the most proudctive work-ethics - and as a Superstar with both of his feet in the world of media - always in the spotlight. 17 years straight... (that's the ultimate rap-dream)  
i think you are, confusing the word "relevant" - with, "which of his songs is on the hiphop-radio".
im talking about Snoop's persona and as a goddamn celebrty.. why i cant get through your thick fucking neanderthal-skull after more than 8 replys in this thread, is beyond me...

********Dissapearing and "falling off" are not the same thing. If the media/public are still talking about you during a hiatus, you're still relevant. I'm curious as to know where this is "almost 6 years" number comes from. In terms of solo projects, Encore came out in November 2004 and Relapse in May 2009. Then there's the "Curtain Call" hits album that came out during the holiday season in 2005 with singles/videos released that went #1 and stayed on the charts for quite a bit of time. There's also that "Eminem Presents Re-Up" in 2006 that did better first week numbers than either of Snoop's solo efforts in '04 and '06 respectively with not a lot of radio play and promotion going in.
I'll give Snoop credit in terms of work ethic during this time. But being able to stay working as a major name and having the most succesful career are two different things. ************

dude, Eminem was M.I.A. for many years after "Encore" dropped. he had a drug-habbit, and coldnt work. he didnt even shwo up for the music-video for "Shake That".  Eminem was in limbo for more than 5 years..
"Curtain Call" and "Re-Up" are just compilations, one of them a gretesthits-collection. not eligible, as bonafide-releses if you want to look at him being "relevant" (especially not "Curtain Call", which was just somethin Iovine wanted to put out).
he showed up for 3 or 4 songs on "Re-Up", that's it. and no, i disagree on the "relevancy" thing. "relevanse" is productiveness/showing your face, media-appearances, not "how many people that talks about you". and plus, if we are going further - people weren't even talking about Eminem during these years. he failed criticially, and everybody hated on Eminem's goofy rapstyle that he used for "Encore".. everyone.
04 and 05 were all about 50/G UNit as far as Interscope concerned... not Eminem.. he wasn't relevant, either productively or in media - and peole were def not talking about him (as an artist or celebrity).. remember it myself..

But being able to stay working as a major name and having the most succesful career are two different things.
no sir, that is "thee career". "the ultimate career". sustained relevance as a celebrity for almost 20 straigh years, with a perfect work-ehtic.. some of the biggest Hollywood-actors haven't even acchieved that.  
no big bankaccount can buy this.. ask Master P and Jay-Z
debate over

****Can we get a full release breakdown on these 37 official projects?****
google and/or wikipedia, for christ sake
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:50:44 AM by imsohappydatmydiccsbig »

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 07:05:29 AM »
your whole argument pretty much negates the quality of music. you are essentially arguing WHO IS THE BIGGEST CELEBRITY???? snoop hasnt made that many good records, hes just happy to do any feature with any artist if they have the right money. of course hes popular and well known, but in the rap world he is far from relevant (doing a song with katy perry does not make you relevant in hip-hop, it doesnt even make you relevant in pop music, it just means you will do anything for money).  he is however a huge celebrity, theres no disputing that.

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »
Long Beach Is Active has some competition lol

this is all i could think while reading this thread... :grumpy:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 07:46:44 AM »
pffffff.... lord, lord, lord
why cant you guys read everything before making a reply?
i already sai this,
im not arguin on who's the biggest celebrity..
im arguin about Snoop's career - and about what defines a career of a rapper as "perfect"..
and i dont think Snoop jumps on everybody shit for money, he does alot of that for free. it's more a strategic way of sustaining himself as "relevant" within the world of music (not soley Hiphop) - that's why he u can hear him collaborating wit everybody from Kool G Rap, Mobb Deep, Gang Starr, Big Daddy Kane  to mainstream-darlings like Soulja Boy, Limp Bizkit, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake.
the quality of music is irrelevant - and doesn't serve a valuable matter to this debate.. a great career is a great career - with or without "the music".
and like i said previously - what makes something "great" is all about subjectiveness. nothing is better cause you, they, he or she say so...
but then again, i guess it's all legitimate - to stumble upon members on this delusional and bitter board, who thnks "Doggystyle" is Snoop's only good album ever.. lol

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
Haha, wow. #1 stan

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 01:46:51 PM »
Brah, I want to know how Snoop could look in the mirror this morning and say to himself "Damn, I have the most perfect Hip Hop career" when he made one amazing piece of work & then fell off harder & harder. His music hasn't been good since 1993 lol.

Unless you mean his career is so great because he only had to put effort into one album & then 36 other "official releases" just release complete bullshit to keep his name out there, so in that sense, it's an "easy, perfect career". But arguing who has the more perfect career in terms of be highly successful & putting out good music it's not even an argument lol. Jay-Z has more than one classic & even people who won't accept some of them as classics, still consider them great albums. Plus he has a lot of albums that are solid with some stand out songs & has remained relevant for years. Not to mention he is a part owner of The Nets, a part owner of Budwieser, owner of Roc-A-Fella Records & the clothing line & has brought up artists to the game like Kanye West and soon to be J. Cole. All Snoop Dogg has going for him is "Gin N Juice", "fashizzle my nizzle" & worldwide acknowledgment as the biggest weed smoker in Hip Hop or at least the poster boy for it.

& LMFAO @ Snoop being Worldwide & Jay-Z being local. Jay-Z is as big a name across the globe & for musical purposes, not just some celebrity status.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Lol @ dude making up numbers. Snoop has put out 10 solo albums, only 8 of them got plaques.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »
dude, Eminem was M.I.A. for many years after "Encore" dropped. he had a drug-habbit, and coldnt work. he didnt even shwo up for the music-video for "Shake That".  Eminem was in limbo for more than 5 years..
"Curtain Call" and "Re-Up" are just compilations, one of them a gretesthits-collection. not eligible, as bonafide-releses if you want to look at him being "relevant" (especially not "Curtain Call", which was just somethin Iovine wanted to put out).
he showed up for 3 or 4 songs on "Re-Up", that's it. and no, i disagree on the "relevancy" thing. "relevanse" is productiveness/showing your face, media-appearances, not "how many people that talks about you". and plus, if we are going further - people weren't even talking about Eminem during these years. he failed criticially, and everybody hated on Eminem's goofy rapstyle that he used for "Encore".. everyone.
04 and 05 were all about 50/G UNit as far as Interscope concerned... not Eminem.. he wasn't relevant, either productively or in media - and peole were def not talking about him (as an artist or celebrity).. remember it myself..
  No, relevance is not just about showing up or having a good work ethic. There are plenty of artists who die and are still relevant, twenty years later. If you are a big enough name and the audience loves you enough, you can take upwards of 5 years off and people will still come out for you. No matter who put the project out if rap CD's drop using Eminem's name as the selling point and they sell, that means... wait for it... he is relevant.

Falling off is when your sales and popularity bottom out. Not when you have a personal problem and leave the spotlight. That greatest hits collection and Re-Up mixtape both sold quite a bit more than the official albums Snoop was putting out around that time so the argument of Snoop being more relevant misses me. Snoop has a tremendous career and there ain't nothing you can shit on about that but if we're counting mixtapes as official projects and public appearances as a measuring stick for success and relevancy then 50 Cent has him beat.

****Can we get a full release breakdown on these 37 official projects?****
google and/or wikipedia, for christ sake